• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will they ever release every previous main title on Switch, future Nintendo consoles? Thoughts?

Psajdak

I mean, it would be kind of cool if we were able to play old games, and then to trade, transfer, or store Pokemon in them, and use them in latest titles.

Not having to bother with outdated link cables, etc...

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Not going to happen. Even if they did go through the effort of bringing them over, it's not going to suddenly support online trading at all, the old games simply do not support it. Didn't happen with the gen 1 and 2 games on 3DS either.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
The only best bet are virtual console remakes from E-Shop. I don't know the differences in availability between 3DS and SWITCH. But 3DS titles are not on SWITCH.

Also these are not available on 3DS store, i just checked.

Pokemon Yellow Version
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
Fire Red and Leaf Green
Heart Gold and Soul Silver
Ruby and Sapphire (They offer Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire if i remember correctly)
Emerald Version
Black and White
Black 2 and White 2

Diamond Pearl and Platinum are good but the Gen 4 game engines are SLOW. Why they don't offer Heart Gold and Soul Silver on 3DS store is absurd. It would be easier for fans to access overpriced Gen 4 games on the second hand market. Looks like they won't redistribute everything, most likely if the online servers are long dead.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
At most, I could see the first three generations being released as a part of the subscription model for NSO. The others requiring two screens makes it unlikely we’d see them without some sort of weird, unwieldy peripheral attachment that would be costly to develop and that probably wouldn’t sell well. We may end up getting Gen 5 remakes of some kind during the Switch or its immediate successor’s life span, so we’ll have seen Sinnoh and Unova in that way, but I don’t think Kalos or Alola will ever come to Switch.

I do recall rumors about a Game Boy expansion to NSO recently, though. I feel like if that happens, it seems likely that they’d release the first three generations that way.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
At most, I could see the first three generations being released as a part of the subscription model for NSO. The others requiring two screens makes it unlikely we’d see them without some sort of weird, unwieldy peripheral attachment that would be costly to develop and that probably wouldn’t sell well. We may end up getting Gen 5 remakes of some kind during the Switch or its immediate successor’s life span, so we’ll have seen Sinnoh and Unova in that way, but I don’t think Kalos or Alola will ever come to Switch.

I do recall rumors about a Game Boy expansion to NSO recently, though. I feel like if that happens, it seems likely that they’d release the first three generations that way.
Actually you don't need a peripheral attachment. Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Proved that the old Poke-Etch applications worked fine in a menu that could be turned off. The same can be done for the old menu in Gen 5...most of it was just connectibility to the internet.
The age of semi dual screens maybe over, it was fun but clumsy and didn't age that well. The 3D scenes with introducing Reshiram Zekrom Kyurem are good but they had too much blurry design around the edges. The way Sun and Moon did the games without a 3D option was impressive.

The only problem if any of the old games get remakes is... no childish design like Lets's Go series or no chibi heads like BDSP did and not make the TM moves perishable items. That's why i would be hesitating about letting ILA handling remakes.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
I mean, it's not impossible, if NIntendo wants to, they could eventually port the old Pokemon games to the Virtual Console on the Switch. Except maybe the DS/3DS games I just don't think would work unless they find a way to get rid of or integrate the bottom screen into one screen.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I mean, it's not impossible, if NIntendo wants to, they could eventually port the old Pokemon games to the Virtual Console on the Switch. Except maybe the DS/3DS games I just don't think would work unless they find a way to get rid of or integrate the bottom screen into one screen.
It’s definitely not an issue to have Gens 1-3 get Switch ports but like you said, Gens 4-7 have a trickier time because they were designed with two screens in mind. The question will be how will they alter the games to accommodate only being on one screen?

mellochu

Personally, I think one major problem with porting the old Pokemon games to the Switch would be the long term if they put it on Nintendo Switch Online like they do with their old games, since if the service shuts down (like what happened with WFC), then...What happens to the Pokemon? Obviously, they'll very likely put in compatibility between those rereleases and Pokemon HOME while it's online, but if the game is offline, that's probably out the window.

Hell, forget the Pokemon being unable to be transferred, what happens to the game itself if the service is down? If you have an original gen 1 or 2 cartridge that's still working, you're not able to transfer them to gen 3 but you could still play it, whereas an online service going down with a game playable only online? Yeah, no. The save file will still exist, but it won't be accessible to actually play without some weird emulation or unofficial servers made by fans. Massive headache for the future.

If they were to rerelease the old games, I'd hope it was individually to purchase and own forever, without needing online to play it.