• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will we ever find out if May won the Johto Grand Festival?

Red

Not the color
Neither May or Dawn won a Grand Festival, Dawn came the closest with being the top 2 in Sinnoh, while May had a bit more experience being in the top 8 and top 4 in Hoenn and Kanto respectively.

Now we already saw May and her 3 ribbons during her arc in DP, but we haven't heard anything about her progress since.. do you think we ever will? It is kind of important because she's our last hope of a main girl actually winning a Grand Festival.

And for everyone saying "old characters don't exist", May's gift to Ash (the Teddiursa) is in his room, so that's not true. :)

Last edited:

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Considering she already appeared in Sinnoh, I doubt she will appear in Isshu. So if the question is if she will appear in Isshu, the answer will be no. But if she'll appear one day at Pallet, or other character who saw the Johto GF will tell Ash about her, maybe we'll know.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Wait a minute. May is our last hope? I don't know for sure. If anything, Dawn is our last hope, considering she made it to the finals of a Grand Festival competition unlike May. I don't think May will return anyway, at least not in Isshu. Dawn may return since the anime has this neat little trend going on that ensures that the previous main girl character appears in the newest region. Now back to May, do I think we'll ever learn how she did in the Johto Grand Festival? No, unless the writers feel like bringing up that trivia if she ever returns in Pallet Town of something. I'm not sure Johto will be all that relevant at that point though, so they may even choose to ignore the fact that she competed there :|

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Even if she did win the Johto Grand Festival it was off screen and at this point it's not important. If we had Chronicles then I would be excited to see her compete for the trophy but I doubt we'll ever know, so leave it up to fanfics. As for May being the last hope for a girl winning a GF, how do you figure? May has been out of the main cast for like 4 year's now, and her successor came closer to the gold then both her attempts.

I don't know when we'll see May again. I would not be surprised if we get a R/S remake and they do not use her. May can only advertise her contest which Isshu doesn't have and she's not a walking advertisement add like Lyra/Kotone was.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I doubt it.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
Even if she did win the Johto Grand Festival it was off screen and at this point it's not important. If we had Chronicles then I would be excited to see her compete for the trophy but I doubt we'll ever know, so leave it up to fanfics. As for May being the last hope for a girl winning a GF, how do you figure? May has been out of the main cast for like 4 year's now, and her successor came closer to the gold then both her attempts.

I don't know when we'll see May again. I would not be surprised if we get a R/S remake and they do not use her. May can only advertise her contest which Isshu doesn't have and she's not a walking advertisement add like Lyra/Kotone was.
Kanto doesn't have contests either but May entered some there. We don't know if anime Isshu has any Pokemon contests since neither Iris or Dento are entering them.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
I don't know about that. If Ruby and Sapphire remakes get made she'll most likely make a two or three episode appearence.

Ugh, don't even start talking about R/S/E Remakes. May isn't reappearing. If anything Dawn would make the cameo. Coincidentally Misty reappeared about 3-5 months before LG/FR were released and nobody reappeared when HGSS were released, so saying that just because "if" R/S/E remakes were made, doesn't mean the Female Playable character of those games would reappear.....

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Kanto doesn't have contests either but May entered some there. We don't know if anime Isshu has any Pokemon contests since neither Iris or Dento are entering them.

True, but I still wouldn't count on a May return just yet. With all the new character's DP just dumped I can hardly see the writer's picking May over any of them. Dawn is the only female I see getting a cameo simply because she was on the main cast last (And even her return is unlikely right now.)

This is why we need a chronicles again, we wouldn't have to worry about who cameo's in the main series and who doesn't. Chronicles would cover it.

Teshub

Banned
Ugh, don't even start talking about R/S/E Remakes. May isn't reappearing. If anything Dawn would make the cameo. Coincidentally Misty reappeared about 3-5 months before LG/FR were released and nobody reappeared when HGSS were released, so saying that just because "if" R/S/E remakes were made, doesn't mean the Female Playable character of those games would reappear.....

That is only your opinion, and a biased one geared towards Dawn considering you are a pearlshipper. So far in the previews I didn't see any item from Dawn in Ash's drawer. Instead we saw the trinket May gave him. Maybe the writers are sick of following (most) patterns and will try to spice things up by bringing May instead.

Last edited:

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
Ash never really had a Johto companion, it was just the Kanto trio again. Plus Jimmy/Kenta got a cameo in the latest movie in his HGSS clothes. In fact RSE remakes or not Ash's former companions would make great movie opening cameos.

Anyway I'm only offering a what-if senario where it would make sense for May to make a guest appearence. I'm not saying that she's without a doubt going to make a Best Wishes guest appearence, I'm just saying it's not impossible and there are ways it could make sense.

Brave Birdy

May's gift to Ash (the Teddiursa) is in his room

Wait, I don't remember May giving Ash a Teddirusa, do you know the ep? I'd like to watch it again.

And I'd love to hear how May placed in the GF, but I'm worried that she might be gone. Although, if Isshu is as unpredictable as Sinnoh was, we just MAY get a cameo.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
If it's plot-relevant (how), yes. If it's not, no.

Wait, I don't remember May giving Ash a Teddirusa, do you know the ep? I'd like to watch it again.

The second DP episode May appeared in. She gave Ash a wooden Teddiursa figurine as a present.

Torpoleon

Maybe we will see a short snippet of May's Place in the Johto Grand Festival during BW. I don't know. I expected to find out in DP191. Maybe we will learn of it in BW001?

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
That is only your opinion, and a biased one geared towards Dawn considering you are a pearlshipper. So far in the previews I didn't see any item from Dawn in Ash's drawer. Instead we saw the trinket May gave him. Maybe the writers are sick of following (most) patterns and will try to spice things up by bringing May instead.
Who are you and what have you done with Teshub?

Brave Birdy

If it's plot-relevant (how), yes. If it's not, no.

The second DP episode May appeared in. She gave Ash a wooden Teddiursa figurine as a present.

Oh yeah, I remember that now!
Thanks.

I think that IF the writers decide to inform us of the Johto GF, May would have won. I mean, why not? She's not really a part of the show anymore and it would really show how much she's learned from traveling alone.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Considering that the writers don't seem to so much as care about another character out of focus, previously main or otherwise, unless the plot demands it or there's a special about them, then it's doubtful we will ever learn whether May won the Johto Grand Festival. Even if she were to show up, it's doubtful we'd learn how she did seeing as the writers also don't like characters to reference to past events that don't pertain to what's going on, example being the when they were in Saffron City for May's Contest yet there wasn't even a single reference to their previous time there despite the total nightmare it had been or how they mentioned having done Pokeathlon in Johto despite having never done it.

In fact that kinda raises the question as to how things like Contest Halls and pokemon from other regions pop up over night and the characters act like they've always been there and don't even question it.

Ace Trainer Star

The Lazy Trainer
She might just randomly call Ash or call his mom and have her pass on the message...

Otherwise, they could just never tell us. that' probably why Dawn's Departure was so open ended, so we wouldn't expect stuff like this.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
May's going the way of Misty.

She's been gone too long now and her Contest arc is ancient history. She'll probably never appear again.