• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will you be disappointed if Ash's team doesn't evolve this gen?

Your thoughts

• Total voters

magicallypuzzled

i don't really see why the big pokemon must evolve craze that's going on, in the anime the unevolved form can and often times do beat the evolved and they aren't really stronger once evolved. also i might be a weak trainer but i never noticed any difference in the games either well maybe a small one but not enough to really make any difference in fact the unevolved would win most times because they learn more powerful attacks sooner.

Any ways i love ash's pokemon the way they are the only thing they really need is more character development. on the other hand i'll like them if they evolve to as long as their personality isn't changed

i agree that his pokemon should be powerful enough to get the job done but i don't see why they need to evolve for that to happen. buziel is already nearly overpowered as it is, nearly but not quite as it is he's just awesome not unbelievably awesome.

Last edited:

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
- Staravia will evolve, because Ash always gets the fully-evolved Bird.

- Considering his previous harsh training and his potential, it seems highly unlikely to me that Chimchar won't evolve. And, hell, I'm hoping he makes to Infernape, although I wouldn't be disappointed if he didn't.

- The only evolved water type that Ash owns is Kingler, and I think this pattern needs to end with Buizel's evolution. After all, I have yet to see a reason why he should not evolve. All of Ash's other Water types from previous generations had reasons they couldn't evolve anyway. Squirtle didn't evolve, because a Wartortle can't be in a Squirtle Squad. Totodile didn't evolve, simply because he wasn't used enough, because pretty much all of Ash's Pokemon at the time were shafted for Bayleef. Corphish didn't evolve, because the writers will never give Ash a Dark type or a Pokemon used by villains [Team Aqua].

Granted, if Buizel beats Wake's Floatzel in the upcoming episode, the reason why he shouldn't evolve will be clear.

- Had Ash's Bulbasaur not refused to evolve, he would have an Ivysaur, thus creating another pattern in Ash's team: having all of the middle stage Grass starters by the League. Thus, Grotle.

Also, to address the earlier argument, Ash has found ways to make slow Pokemon somewhat fast in the past, and you have proven this yourself. What makes Grotle so special that he can't do the same for him?

I can see Ash with a Torterra, however. Perhaps it'll evolve in a filler saga, like Grovyle did?

buttbug

Zephyr Trainer
I'd be very disappointed, I like the Pokemon on his current team, but I want to see them change a bit... It'd be boring if he still had his current team next year.

PDL

disenchanted
Well, only the Johto Pokemon are evolving quickly. All the Sinnoh Pokemon are taking their sweet time to evolve. The obvious reason for this is the writers are advertising Sinnoh, not Johto, so the Johto Pokemon evolve fast.

Although strangely enough, it doesn't apply to Brock having a Sudowoodo. :p

That's because Sudowoodo is in the Sinnoh regional dex while Gligar and Yanma were not. :p

That's why Aipom was an Aipom for a long while before it evolved.

They seem to showcase Pokémon that are in the Sinnoh regional dex as well as those extra 4th gen Pokémon of the national dex and their relatives. (only Paul's Ursaring appears to be the odd man out)

ShinyVaati

100% Rebel Time Lord
After his Advance gen team got so powerful by the end it'll be a big let down if Staravia and Gligar are the only ones to go to their final form. I have a feeling Chimchar might get to Infernape because of the time it spent Paul. Buizel I don't really care if it evolves. I really Turtwig to aleast evolve into Grotle and I'll be bouncing of the walls if it reaches Torterra as that's my favorite fully evolved starter.

Flamez

Elite 4 Champion
In Hoenn the writers gave us 3 evolutions for Ash. Grovyle, Swellow, and Glalie.

We are halfway through Ash's journey in Shinou and we have two evolutions, Mukubird and his 6th capture.

IMO, Mukubird will go all the way. I do see Tutwig evolving once. As far as Buizel goes, I am not so sure it will evolve. I definitely see Chimchar evolving atleast once.

Basically, we are guaranteed to get atleast the same amount of evolutions we had in Hoenn for Ash (3).

I dont see why people are complaining so much. Evolutions does not make you stronger that has been proven time and time again in the ANIME.

Ash was smacking the gym leaders in Hoenn and had a good team, yet he came in the top 8 in the league AGAIN!

Last edited:

Ubernational

Top coordinator
I cant see turtwig evolving. Hes known for his speed. A Grotle/Torterra evolution would make him more bulky and slow(just look at Pauls Torterra it barely moves). Thus destroying Turtwigs quirk.

Chimcar could be a repeat of Charmander/Charizard but maybe more loyal than charizard.

The rest will get to there final evolutions. which I sometimes hate because it makes there cries sound horrible. i used to love how Aipom sounded but now its evolved it just sucks.

sg_p3

Aussie Wonder
I hate it when Ash uses his baby Pokemon, I mean, there cute and funny, but when it comes to matchups to Paul's pokemon and even Mays, they are lacking in terms of strength. I would hate to see another Johto repeat, one evo during the whole saga. 'Sigh'
Im fairly confident Staravia will evolve, and I have high hopes that we'll see Infernape on Ash's team, as for Buizel im not really sure, Ash is well overdue to have at least one of his water types evolve, but Buizel can hold its own in battle so im not too fussed, and Turtwig should get to Grotle at least, but I highly doubt we'll see Torterra on Ash's side. But who knows.....the way this series is going anything could happen...

sg_p3

Aussie Wonder
I hate it when Ash uses his baby Pokemon, I mean, there cute and funny, but when it comes to matchups to Paul's pokemon and even Mays, they are lacking in terms of strength. I would hate to see another Johto repeat, one evo during the whole saga. 'Sigh'
Im fairly confident Staravia will evolve, and I have high hopes that we'll see Infernape on Ash's team, as for Buizel im not really sure, Ash is well overdue to have at least one of his water types evolve, but Buizel can hold its own in battle so im not too fussed, and Turtwig should get to Grotle at least, but I highly doubt we'll see Torterra on Ash's side. But who knows.....the way this series is going anything could happen...

Shiny pokemon lover

Shiny pokemon hunter
I would be dissapoited if Ash's pokemon stays in the forms they are now, but I don't think will. He trains his pokemon harder and better now so I think we will se some evolutions soon! Or... I hope.

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
The more I think about it, I don't think Turtwig will evolve now. It'll be such a change in fighting styles. I mean, the writers could get away with Turtwig being so speedy because of its size. I don't think they could make Grotle be speedy and believable at the same time...unless Ash fights a lot of opponents that know Trick Room. heh

I'll hold off comment about Buizel, simply because I don't know how to "work" the spoiler function.

Chimchar better fricking evolve! All that build up it got being on Paul's team led a lot of people to believe it'd evolve soon after Ash caught it, but so far it hasn't. This is saying something coming from me too, because I was one of the few who wanted Ash to bring Cyndaquil back (like Phanpy) and use it as his fire-type. Unfortunately the more I think about Chimchar, the more I think it won't evolve...that Ash will train it to be strong to show Paul that Pokemon don't need to evolve in order to be strong...

*sigh* Johto 2

I think Staravia will evolve one more time. I see it happening more towards the end of the gym quest (meaning 7th or 8th).

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The more I think about it, I don't think Turtwig will evolve now. It'll be such a change in fighting styles. I mean, the writers could get away with Turtwig being so speedy because of its size. I don't think they could make Grotle be speedy and believable at the same time...unless Ash fights a lot of opponents that know Trick Room. heh

Well it'll be a bit interesting to see Ash have to adapt from using a speedy Pokemon to a slow but strong one.

As people have said before, Ash has handled slow Pokemon in battle well such as Donphan, Torkoal, Snorlax and Muk, a Grotle wouldn't be much different than them in battle.

Hell, I can even see Grotle bouncing off walls the way Torkoal did during its fight with Registeel.

thunderblade12

pikachu - we know it wont evolve

turtwig - it should evolve atleast once to show that it has some development..grotle will be robbed of screentime the same way swampert was in hoeen if it doesnt evolve. i dont care if it evolves to torterra or not, that would just be a plus

staravia - i think it should/will evolve..it would be disappointing for its character if it didnt. if they werent planning on evolving it all the way then they should have held off on evolving starly to staravia...atleast then it would have felt like it actually "developed" for the majority of the saga

gligar - already evolving

buizel - again..it would be a plus for it to evolve..wouldnt mind seeing a floatzel on ashs team and it would be great to see his main water pokemon evolve for a change

chimchar - i want this one to evolve all the way. its backstory suggests it will become a powerhouse..but it might become one of the animes overused and cliched "tiny powerhouses." monferno and infernape both need screentime though and a fighting type would be a good addition to ashs team, no..not riolu. chimchar is the one that i want to evolve the most, it has a lot of reasons to evolve and an equal amount of reasons not to evolve. could go either way..

GreenTurtwig

Grass Trainer
I would be disappointed if none of Ash's pokemon evolve. However, I sadly would not be surprised.
PS: I love Turtwig. For the love of your higher being, do not evolve!

Alexcore

zeh l0l of 1337ness
well this generation ash have especially caught "cute looking" pokemon (pokemon that are popular while not evolved i.e.) and therefore i really doubt anybody besides staravia will go on

Turtwig and buizel obviously are too popular as they are at the moment, chimchar's got serious mental issues and cligar is allready seen to evolve.
also i very much doubt swinub will become a mamoswine..

I mean we know they are going to evolve, we just don't know when. I mean you just got to be patient and wait, were just at the half way point we still got a long way to go. We'll see an evolution in no time

I mean we know they are going to evolve, we just don't know when. I mean you just got to be patient and wait, were just at the half way point we still got a long way to go. We'll see an evolution in no time