• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Will You be wearing Purple on October 20th?

Corroded Arceus

Shiny Hunter
I'll wear purple, and if anyone asks, I'll tell them its to remember some young souls who made a very unfortunate decision, and to promote acceptance so things like this won't happen in the future. I know it won't do anything, but it's just to show the world that I don't approve of ridiculing people because of who they are.

I'm bisexual and have copped a shitload of social problems because of it, so it's an issue that's close to my heart.

EDIT: It's digusting how some people in this thread are totally ignorant about suicuide.

Last edited:

natie

Mr. F
I won't be wearing purple for the reasons Ethan, jb and Krake stated.

Also, I had quite a lot of fun trolling that event page. People are truly too sensitive these days, and I can hardly believe that all of those 300000 people who RSVP'd to the event really feel anything at all for these pitiful weaklings.

Katipunero

Eye in the Sky
Hell no. Wearing purple does nothing. Besides, I don't any purple clothing. There's no way I'm gonna buy a purple shirt just for bunch dead kids who can't accept life.

Corroded Arceus

Shiny Hunter
We're not ignorant. We just realise that wearing purple for self-satisfaction "Look at me guys! I'm nice to the gays" is wrong, and accomplishes absolutely nothing.

I never said anything about that. Some people in this thread were raving on about how weak and pathetic these people were for committing suicide. This shows how little they know about suicide.

Ri-Chan

♚ get s l e a z y
I never said anything about that. Some people in this thread were raving on about how weak and pathetic these people were for committing suicide. This shows how little they know about suicide.

True. Suicide is something these teens were "forced" to do by their brains because they felt, because of this horrid bullying, that that was the only way out. They talked to school adminis. and they did nothing. Do be honest, I believe that many of those school admins. were homophobic. They seemed to refuse to take action. They could have prevented this.

PS;; To anyone calling me a pussy for not wearing purple, Let Mer rephrase it for the retards. I support Gays (To a very limited extent), but I don't think I need to wear purple to show I support them. I honestly don't think wearing purple will cause any bullying to go away, if not, it will increase it.

Sure, its great to show your appreciation and pay your respect for the situation, but will wearing purple really help? Sure, go ahead and wear it, you will be showing respect by doing it, but you aren't really going to help anyone out. Anyone who hasn't heard of the event will most likely not care your wearing purple or have no clue wtf is going on.

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
I don't have purple, and even if I did I honestly can't see the point in supporting losers who are unable accept themselves.
Because being unable to accept yourself is the reason for commiting suicide when the people around you hate you for who you are.
Also, I had quite a lot of fun trolling that event page. People are truly too sensitive these days, and I can hardly believe that all of those 300000 people who RSVP'd to the event really feel anything at all for these pitiful weaklings.
Look out folks, we got an internet tough guy here.
I am huge pussy who is backpedaling because you called me on being a huge pussy
Sounds about right to me. Carry on.

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
As Ethan said, raising bullying of homosexuals by wearing Purple seems like a plausible reason, a lot better than remembering solely 6 names that most people who are wearing purple probably won't know. That's good enough logic for me, although I'll wear purple on anyday anyways.

Ri-Chan said:
Will you be wearing purple on Wednesday to show your support for LGBT suicides and hate
As a strong supporter of LGBT suicides and hate, I will definitely be wearing purple.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
PS;; To anyone calling me a pussy for not wearing purple, Let Mer rephrase it for the retards. I support Gays (To a very limited extent), but I don't think I need to wear purple to show I support them. I honestly don't think wearing purple will cause any bullying to go away, if not, it will increase it.

Sure, its great to show your appreciation and pay your respect for the situation, but will wearing purple really help? Sure, go ahead and wear it, you will be showing respect by doing it, but you aren't really going to help anyone out. Anyone who hasn't heard of the event will most likely not care your wearing purple or have no clue wtf is going on.

But you said yourself that people who support gay people are just as likely to get made fun of as people who are gay. If you are willing to support gay people, why not be honest and open about it?

7 tyranitars

hmm I would if I had any purple clothes :S glad I don't live in the USA imo

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
hmm I would if I had any purple clothes :S glad I don't live in the USA imo

Homophobia exists in every country in some way, shape or form so going LOL AMURIKKKA towards it is just stupid.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Well I really hate what happened, and it's kinda heartbreaking, but for one reason or another I don't think wearing purple in honor of them sends the right message. These kids committed suicide. In the end that action however provoked it may have been was their choice. I don't really like how the facebook page for the event, as well as other people use the line of reasoning "Teen suicides due to..." No. I'm sorry it doesn't work like that. Due to nothing. Whether you take yourself out of this world is your decision. The buck stops with you.

Having this national wear purple day for these downtrodden gays almost sends the idea that what they did was entirely okay, understandable, forgivable, etc. As if any normal person would kill themselves given that situation right!?

Yeah, it's sad. I think this incident should be used to raise awareness of bullying in the LGBT community in general rather than singling out six teens.

Plus purple never looked good on me anyway.

Look, it's true that no one can force another person to commit suicide, but using that to lay all the responsibility on the victims is a cop-out. It's not as if they just woke up one day and thought it would be cool to kill themselves. While the decision was ultimately theirs, they never would have even considered it if they hadn't been persecuted.

They were under difficult circumstances that most of us have never had to face. I mean, think about what suicide means. Ending your own life means leaving behind everything familiar, your home, your loved ones, for something completely unknown. It must have seemed like the only escape for them to do such a thing, whether that was true or not.

Being so downtrodden can actually affect your brain chemistry, make you depressed to the point where you can't think logically anymore.

It wasn't a good decision for them to commit suicide, but you have to take circumstances into account. They weren't forced, but that doesn't mean the blame is all theirs. The people who persecuted them share the responsibility. Just because they were the agents of their own deaths doesn't mean they don't deserve remembrance. That remembrance is also meant to raise awareness, so that the same thing won't happen again.

No one's saying that only gays would commit suicide in such circumstances. In fact, I think a lot of people would. There are plenty of examples of people who have dThe problem is that gays are a group that face that kind of persecution so often. It's wide-spread discrimination, and that's why it needs attention. Not that individual issues shouldn't be addressed, but a lot of people could be helped through action over this one area.

It should be forgivable. Not ok, mind you. But the reason it's wrong to take your own life in the first place is that it hurts you and those you love. It takes away all the good that might have existed in the future. That's why it's so sad in the first place. What drove them to do it still needs to be spoken about.

Honestly, I don't think wearing purple that day will be terribly effective. I don't know if I'll do it... but something needs to be said about it. A lot of people are speaking up already, and that's good. The more people speak up, the greater the message that persecution of gays isn't acceptable.

Last edited:

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
No.

Pretty much for the same reasons Ethan said. While it's a good idea in theory, I don't see how this movement will change anything in the long term.

Deoxytwo

Riddle in an Enigma
1) I own no purple

2) Why is it suddenly worse if people killed themselves because they were being harassed about their sexuality? What about people that kill themselves because they are harassed about the way they look, their religion, physical/mental handicaps, or people who kill themselves because they are bullied just because? Do they suddenly not matter? Frankly, I think it's disgusting that these six kid's memories are being exploited for a social movement. Maybe I would participate if it was in remembrance of ALL the kids that offed themselves because of bullying.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Like I said, it's not that individual concerns aren't important, but discrimination against gays is so wide-spread. A lot of people can be helped by addressing just this one issue. Actually, it would be good if people stood up for other groups. But it's good whenever it happens and should be encouraged.

eeveefox

Sure, I'll wear purple if I remember but I'd stick up for gay rights any day.
I don't have purple, and even if I did I honestly can't see the point in supporting losers who are unable accept themselves.

Hey, that's really not fair... It can be a very hard life being gay due to the mindsets of your family or area you live in.

Charmander#4

Dating Rosie Palms?
No. I won't support suiciders, no matter what their reasons were.