• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Win, Lose or Drew! (311)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Win, Lose or Drew!

It's time for May's first Pokémon Contest. She is using her Beautifly and intends to win. However Drew is also participating. Will May be struck with Beginner's Luck?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

F

Factory Head Noland

I felt so sorry for May in this episode because 1st she fell over! Then she done a great performance with Beautifly then she went and lost to Drew and his Roselia. Beautifly didn't even touch Roselia much and I think that it could have gotten some attacks in there.

MayShuufan

Mrs Brendan Birch ^^
My favourite episode really intresting and keeps you intrested all through the episode. My fave bit was when Drew gave May a rose but I didn't like the fact that May lost to him in her contest battle with him. Anyway pretty good episode all round I could watch it anytime, anyday and maybe even all day.

M

meggirl63

Pokemonisgr8 said:
I felt so sorry for May in this episode because 1st she fell over! Then she done a great performance with Beautifly then she went and lost to Drew and his Roselia. Beautifly didn't even touch Roselia much and I think that it could have gotten some attacks in there.

So did I...........

Sequoia

theres some pics for this ep in the May Fan Club...one where she crys backstage...

V

vulpix

that must have bean embaressing when May fall right on her butt when she was calling out Beautifly,yet it was kinda funny.

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
Sorry to bump - I scripted out this episode and figured I might as well post it in here. Feel free to gack, though acknowledgement of who wrote it would be much appreciated. ;)

------

*Opening shot of MAY’s feet as she runs up the road through Slateport City; then shot expands to show her, ASH, BROCK, MAX and PIKACHU.*

MAY:
Hurry up, you guys! I can’t miss this! We’ve got to make it!

ASH:
It wouldn’t have been a bad idea to check the deadline a little earlier!

MAX:
That would have been too obvious, Ash. May’s an expert at only forgetting the most important things.

BROCK:
Remind me why we’re all running along with her?

PIKACHU:
Pika!

*Tears fill MAY’s eyes.*

MAY:
You guys don’t have to rub it in, I get your point! Hurry!

*Shot of the group running, then another shot from behind, showing the contest hall in the distance while the NARRATOR talks.*

NARRATOR:
It’s the opening day of the Pokémon contest in Slateport City. This could be May’s debut as a contestant – that is, if she makes it there in time.

*The theme tune plays.*

Win, Lose or Drew!

*Shot of the outside of the contest hall, then MAY sliding her pass over the desk.*

MAY:
Excuse me – I’m not too late to enter the Pokémon contest, am I?

RECEPTIONIST:
No, you just made it.

*The RECEPTIONIST begins to enter MAY’s details into the database. MAY breathes a sigh of relief and rests her head on the desk.*

MAY:
Boy, that was close!

ASH:
A little too close, in my opinion.

BROCK:
Oh, well. It was a nice morning workout.

PIKACHU:
Pi-ka-chu.

RECEPTIONIST:
The contest begins precisely at one p.m.

*MAY takes her card back.*

MAY:
I won’t be late!

*BROCK looks at the clock on the wall, which shows the time to be ten o’ clock.*

BROCK:
That’s three hours from now. What shall we do until then?

*ASH’s stomach rumbles.*

ASH:
Well, we could go get something to eat!

MAX:
But Ash, we just had breakfast.

ASH:
Yeah, but all that running made me hungry.

*BROCK laughs.*

BROCK:
In that case, let’s go search for a restaurant.

*ASH pumps a fist into the air.*

ASH:
All right!

*The group turns and walks off-screen.*

MAX:
I don’t know if I can eat again already…

*As they leave, TEAM ROCKET walks in. JESSIE and JAMES are wearing their boutique costumes from ‘Pokémon Fashion Flash’; MEOWTH is in a blue suit and red bow tie. They strike poses as they recite the motto.*

JESSIE:
Prepare for trouble and a stylish entrance!

JAMES:
Make it double as I formulate my sentence!

JESSIE:
To protect the world from devastation!

JAMES:
To unite all peoples within our nation!

JESSIE:
To denounce the evils of truth and love!

JAMES:
To extend our reach to the stars above!

*They twirl around and stand back-to-back, arms folded.*

JESSIE:
Jessie!

JAMES:
James!

*A star-covered backdrop and giant ‘R’ appear in the background; JESSIE leaps into view in front of it.*

JESSIE:
Team Rocket! A touch of class at the speed of light!

*JAMES jumps in to join her.*

JAMES:
Surrender now to our refinement, or prepare to fight!

*MEOWTH and WOBUFFET rise into shot from below the screen.*

MEOWTH:
Me-owth, that’s right!

WOBUFFET:
Wobba wobba-ffet!

*The backdrop reverts to normal as JESSIE holds out her card before the RECEPTIONIST.*

JESSIE:
Darling, you may now enter the future winner of the Pokémon contest!

RECEPTIONIST:
I’m afraid the deadline for entering the contest has come and gone a few minutes ago. I’m so sorry.

*TEAM ROCKET gasp in horror and look at the clock, which shows ten past ten (don’t ask me how, as there is no way ten whole minutes have passed since MAY got there.)*

RECEPTIONIST:
Ten o’ clock was the cut-off time.

TEAM ROCKET:
The curse of artistic genius!

*They stand before a blue backdrop before turning into sand, dissolving into three small heaps and blowing away.*

---

*The next scene opens with a panning shot across the outside of the contest hall.*

JESSIE:
Three hours of beauty sleep lost, for nothing.

*TEAM ROCKET are sitting on a bench outside, dejected.*

JAMES:
So, what now, Jess?

MEOWTH:
We go back to bed?

VOICE (from off-screen):
Heads up!

*TEAM ROCKET look over to see a Poocheyena leap by and catch something in its mouth.*

TEAM ROCKET:
Hey!

*A TRAINER rubs the Pokémon’s head.*

TRAINER:
Pretty good, isn’t it, Poocheyena? There’s plenty more!

*He is holding three brightly coloured cubes in his hand.*

JESSIE:
What’s he got in his hand?

JAMES:
It’s probably some of that Pokéblock.

MEOWTH:
The buzz is that Pokémon just love the stuff.

JESSIE (perking up):
You don’t say?

JAMES:
And now, taking it one step further, I would assume all trainers need some Pokéblock?

MEOWTH:
We hear you, James!

*They leap to their feet.*

JESSIE:
Now introducing the new Pokéblock sales’ team!

JESSIE, JAMES and MEOWTH:
Yay!

*WOBUFFET appears, saluting.*

WOBUFFET:
Wob, wob, wobba-ffet!

---

*Shot of the outside of the contest hall. An announcer’s voice can be heard from inside.*

VIVIAN:
Ladies and gentlemen! Thank you very much for your patience!

*The shot changes to show the battleground from above. VIVIAN is talking into a microphone.*

VIVIAN:
The Hoenn region Pokémon contest and the pride of Slateport City will now begin!

*There is wild applause. VIVIAN gestures to the panel of judges, introducing them one by one.*

VIVIAN:
Now, let’s meet our judges. I’ll begin by first introducing the director of the contest committee, Contesta. All of our judges are well known for being fair, but firm. Next we have Sukizo, from the Pokémon Enthusiasts Club. Finally, Slateport City’s very own Nurse Joy!

*There is a shot of the Slateport ribbon, blown up and displayed on a view screen.*

VIVIAN:
The co-ordinator who earns their way to victory will be honoured with the much-esteemed Slateport ribbon. Those of you skilled enough to earn five ribbons at the contests held throughout the region – you’ll be allowed to compete in the ultimate test of all co-ordinators: the Pokémon Grand Festival! My name is Vivian, and I’m completely honoured to be your MC today!

*More cheering from the crowd.*

---

*Shot of the outside of a door, then inside to the backstage area. MAY sits on a bench, clasping her Pokéblock case in her lap. She is shaking so badly that the case is rattling. BEAUTIFLY flaps above her head.*

ASH:
Hey, May. May!

MAX:
Hello, May!

*MAY finally snaps out of it, jerking upright.*

MAY:
Huh? What? What’s wrong?

MAX:
Are you OK? You look so nervous.

*MAY frantically waves her hands.*

MAY:
No! No, no, no, no, I’m not nervous at all!

BROCK:
It’s understandable. Although you performed with Janet before, this is really the first time you’ve been on stage all by yourself.

*MAY drops the act.*

MAY:
I’ve never been this scared, ever!

ASH:
Stay calm, ‘cause your Pokémon feel the way you do.

MAY:
Really? They do?

*BEAUTIFLY lands on her head.*

BEAUTIFLY:
Beau-tifly.

MAY:
Do you, Beautifly?

ASH:
That’s what Mr. Big was telling you about – if a trainer feels nervous, then the Pokémon’ll feel just as nervous.

*PIKACHU nods.*

PIKACHU:
Pika-pika.

BROCK:
Remember, you’ve worked really hard to get to this contest, May. Everything will be fine, as long as you stay calm.

*At this, MAY finally cheers up.*

ASH:
And Beautifly, I know you’ll show ‘em how a perfect Silver Wind is done.

*While ASH speaks, the camera pans sideways to reveal DREW standing outside the open door (funny, it was closed earlier), listening to every word they say.*

BEAUTIFLY:
Beau-tifly!

MAX:
Good luck, you guys –you’ll be great!

*DREW smiles to himself and flips his hair.*

---

*Back to the contest arena. While VIVIAN narrates, there is a shot of a Shroomish performing what looks like Stun Spore, a Wingull spinning in mid-air, a Marrill balancing on its tail, and a Bellossom dancing.*

VIVIAN:
In the preliminary round, co-ordinators and Pokémon are judged for performance quality on the acts they’ve worked so hard on. Prepare yourselves for a display of beauty and precision!

*Cut back to MAY’s room, where ASH, BROCK and MAX are watching the proceedings on TV.*

ASH:
Wow, their tricks are awesome!

PIKACHU:
Pi-ka pika!

*MAY is slumped in her seat, not looking at the screen.*

MAX:
Those Pokémon have all been raised well.

BROCK:
That’s for sure.

*MAY looks over, still clearly nervous.*

VIVIAN:
Next up is contestant twenty-four! His friends all know him as Drew!

*A spotlight comes on, illuminating DREW. Back in MAY’s room, the group all grimly watch the screen, including MAY.*

ASH:
There he is.

*On the TV, DREW turns to look into the camera.*

MAY:
That Drew – thinks he’s so great.

*DREW flips his hair and throws a Poké-ball.*

DREW:
Oh, yeah? Roselia, go! Now, use Petal Dance!

*ROSELIA appears and goes straight into a Petal Dance attack.*

VIVIAN:
Roselia takes the stage with a simply gorgeous Petal Dance! Just fabulous!

*ROSELIA lands neatly on the ground, the petals falling around it. ASH, BROCK and MAX begin to look slightly worried.*

ASH:
That was OK… I guess.

PIKACHU:
Pi-ka…

*MAY, however, is staring at the screen in awe, her hands pressed together under her chin.*

MAY:
It was beautiful…

BEAUTIFLY:
Beautifly!

DREW:
Next, use Stun Spore!

*ROSELIA spins, sending the spores into the air.*

DREW:
Add Magical Leaf!

*ROSELIA fires a Magical Leaf attack into the mix.*

VIVIAN:
Outstanding! Magical Leaf and Stun Spore! They’ve completely won over this audience with their precise teamwork!

*ROSELIA stands, surrounded by the Stun Spore/Magical Leaf combination.*

MAY:
That really is pretty…

BEAUTIFLY:
Beautifly!

DREW:
And now it’s time to finish up. Roselia, use Petal Dance!

*ROSELIA performs Petal Dance again, and seems to disappear. ASH and MAY stare in shock.*

MAY:
Vanished?

DREW:
Magical Leaf!

*ROSELIA’s Magical Leaf slices through the petals, shredding them into falling confetti. ROSELIA reappears; it and DREW both bow, and, the crowd goes nuts. DREW does another hair flick, smirking.*

DREW:
Perfect. What d’you expect?

VIVIAN:
So now we await the judges’ opinion of that excellent performance.

*The scores appear on the judges’ panels: 9.8, 9.9 and 9.7, with the total showing up on the large view screen.*

VIVIAN:
29.4! That’s the highest score yet!

*ASH, MAY, BROCK and MAX all look stunned.*

ASH:
That’s the highest score?

BROCK:
No surprise there.

*On the TV screen, VIVIAN holds out her microphone to NURSE JOY.*

VIVIAN:
Your comments?

NURSE JOY:
That was a great combination!

SUZIKO:
Uh, it was remarkable!

CONTESTA:
And as for me, I was impressed with their great use of the entire stage.

*MAY now starts to look apprehensive.*

MAY:
This guy may be better than I thought!

---

*TEAM ROCKET, decked out in sales-outfits, are standing outside the contest hall. JESSIE and JAMES are holding trays.*

JESSIE:
Hoo, I sure make this concessions’ girl outfit look good!

JAMES:
This is our Pokéblock one-stop food shop!

*WOBUFFET pops out of its Poké-ball, carrying a flag with pictures of Pokéblock and a Pokéblock case on it.*

WOBUFFET:
Wo-buffet!

MEOWTH:
Huh… you know, we’d better hurry and get us some of it.

JESSIE:
Don’t worry – we’ll just overpower some lame co-ordinators and steal every bit of block they’ve got.

MEOWTH:
Smooth move!

JESSIE:
Now what do we say?

TEAM ROCKET:
Yay!

*At that moment, an OLD MAN appears.*

OLD MAN:
Hello there! Is this a Pokéblock shop?

JESSIE:
Yes, sir! You’re our first customer!

JAMES:
Sadly, our Pokéblock supply hasn’t arrived yet… eheh.

OLD MAN:
Aha! Then please allow me to teach you the deepest secrets of the Pokéblock. With my help, your Pokéblock business is going to explode!

JESSIE:
We love secrets!

JAMES:
And we’re big on explosions, too!

MEOWTH:
Come on, give it up!

WOBUFFET:
Wo-bu-ffet!

---

*MAY is once again sitting in silent contemplation, nervous as ever.*

DREW:
Yo.

*MAY looks up to see DREW standing in front of her.*

DREW:
I see you made it.

MAY:
Hello, Drew.

DREW:
I trust that you caught our performance. That was – heh – some true art.

MAY (annoyed):
What do you want? Did you just come here to brag?

DREW:
No - as a great co-ordinator, I came here to cheer you on. See, I want you to at least make it through the preliminary round.

*MAY leaps to her feet.*

MAY:
Well, then just watch me, O great one!

*A burst of cheering comes from the TV. MAY and DREW both look over to see VIVIAN making another announcement.*

VIVIAN:
And now, the next co-ordinator to take the stage: number 38! Robert!

*The image of a man with long, blonde hair appears on the screen.*

ROBERT:
Now, Milotic, let’s use Safeguard.

*ROBERT’s Pokémon MILOTIC glows green. This gets an appreciative response from the audience.*

CONTESTA:
That was awe-inspiring!

SUZIKO:
Yes, simply remarkable!

NURSE JOY:
I’m very impressed!

*ASH, BROCK and MAX run into the stands at the top. ASH reaches for his POKÉDEX.*

ASH:
Hey, what’s that Pokémon?

POKÉDEX:
Milotic. The tender Pokémon. Milotic is able to soften human anger and hatred by emitting soothing frequencies from its body.

*The group looks back down at MILOTIC, which is still glowing.*

MAX:
I’ve heard that some people think Milotic’s the most beautiful Pokémon of all.

BROCK:
Me too. What a great choice for a contest, huh?

*MILOTIC spreads its tail.*

VIVIAN:
With its dazzling appearance, combined with its awesome technique, Milotic has the whole stadium enraptured!

*MILOTIC is now waving its tail through the air. The shot moves back to showing the TV screen in MAY’s room, then MAY, DREW and BEAUTIFLY watching. MAY is enthralled by MILOTIC as she was earlier by ROSELIA; DREW, on the other hand, has a guarded expression.*

MAY:
Beautiful!

BEAUTIFLY:
Beau!

---

*The OLD MAN is lecturing to TEAM ROCKET, who sit cross-legged on the ground before him. JAMES is taking furious notes.*

OLD MAN:
Now, all Pokéblock is made out of berries, and it’s important to come up with your own special mix of berries to create a type of Pokéblock that belongs to you, and to you alone. You get my drift?

JAMES:
Clear as a bell.

---

*Back in the stadium:*

VIVIAN:
Folks, there’s only one contestant left in the preliminaries, and that’s entry number 50.

*MAY is standing off to one side, shaking with fright.*

VIVIAN:
May, you’re up!

*MAY steels herself and walks into the arena.*

MAY:
Right! Great!

*ASH, BROCK and MAX are watching her from the stands.*

ASH:
All right, it’s finally May’s turn!

*MAY stands next to VIVIAN while she continues announcing. Behind them, DREW is visible in the passageway that the contestants use to get to the stadium. He is leaning against the wall, arms folded.*

VIVIAN:
This is May’s first time participating in a Pokémon contest, so let’s give her a warm welcome and watch her Pokémon’s elegant entry.

*During the last part of this speech, the camera gives us an upwards-panning shot of DREW. Then cut to the crowd cheering for MAY. She looks utterly terrified.*

MAY:
Oh… all right, then…

BROCK:
This isn’t good. I think she’s overwhelmed by the stadium.

ASH:
Just calm down, May!

MAX:
Come on, you can do it!

PIKACHU:
Pika-pika!

*MAY takes a breath to ready herself.*

MAY:
Beautifly, let’s go!

*She prepares to throw BEAUTIFLY’s Poké-ball – and slips, falling over backwards. ASH, BROCK and MAX gasp.*

MAX:
Oh, no! May!

*The judges and audience all look worried; DREW smirks. VIVIAN hurries over to help MAY up.*

VIVIAN:
Oh, no! Are you all right, dear?

*MAY takes VIVIAN’s hand and gets to her feet, trying to laugh it off.*

MAY:
I’m fine. That was just a little warm up.

*She throws BEAUTIFLY’s Poké-ball again, this time successfully.*

MAY:
Now, Beautifly, it’s time for you to take the stage!

*BEAUTIFLY comes out and strikes a pose in the air.*

VIVIAN:
Wow, Beautifly’s marvellous wings really do catch your eye.

MAY:
String Shot!

*She throws a Frisbee, which BEAUTIFLY sends back to her with String Shot.*

VIVIAN:
Excellent! And a clean catch!

*MAY catches the Frisbee and immediately throws it again.*

MAY:
Again!

*BEAUTIFLY strikes the Frisbee with its String Shot again. This time, May catches it with a spin before throwing it.*

VIVIAN:
They’re really going strong now! That incredible combination has more than made up for May’s earlier slip-up!

*During VIVIAN’s speech, there are three more shots of MAY throwing and catching the Frisbee. ASH, BROCK and MAX smile at her from their vantage point at the top of the stands.*

PIKACHU:
Pika!

ASH:
All right, she’s got the hang of it, now!

MAX:
Yeah, way to go, May!

BROCK:
Ah, those are some nice effects! She’s completely focused on her timing with Beautifly and got her nerve back!

*During the last part of BROCK’s speech, there is a shot of MAY and BEAUTIFLY with a spinning Frisbee, then one of DREW watching them, open-mouthed.*

MAY:
Ready for this, Beautifly? Gust, let’s go!

*She throws the Frisbee one more time. BEAUTIFLY flaps its wings and sends it back with Gust.*

VIVIAN:
Now it’s a return, using Gust. If she catches this, it’ll mean real points!

*MAY runs to catch the Frisbee – and fumbles it.*

VIVIAN:
Oh, no – could this be a miss?

*After a tense moment, MAY manages to keep a hold of the Frisbee. ASH, MAX and BROCK all heave sighs of relief.*

VIVIAN:
She did it! And by not dropping it, she should be just fine.

MAY:
Time to finish this up, right? Silver Wind, go!

*BEAUTIFLY performs Silver Wind.*

MAY:
Go into a spin!

*BEAUTIFLY spins, creating a sparkling silver column all around it.*

VIVIAN:
I don’t believe my eyes! Beautifly is completely surrounded by its own spiralling Silver Wind! It almost looks like Beautifly’s been wrapped in a gorgeous silver robe!

ASH:
She did it!

MAX:
And that’s got to be the prettiest Silver Wind she’s ever done!

PIKACHU:
Pi-kachu!

BROCK:
I think Beautifly was born to be on stage!

*DREW is still watching, now with a grin on his face.*

DREW:
Huh, what do you know. That wasn’t too bad at all.

*To finish, BEAUTIFLY flutters down and lands on MAY’s shoulders. She takes a bow with her arms spread, holding onto BEAUTIFLY’s wings. The crowd applauds her loudly.*

VIVIAN:
So, let’s find out what our judges thought of May and Beautifly’s performance.

NURSE JOY:
Very good for a first time effort.

CONTESTA:
Yes, she’s got a bright future ahead of her.

SUZIKO:
I’d say she’s just remarkable.

*As they speak, their scores flash up: 8.1, 8.3 and 8.5. The total score, 24.9, appears on the large view screen.*

VIVIAN:
And their final score is a twenty-four point nine!

*The crowd claps again, but MAY looks disappointed.*

MAY:
What a drag – I didn’t even score a twenty-five.

BEAUTIFLY:
Beau-tifly.

VIVIAN:
That ends our preliminary competition. In a moment, we’ll be announcing who will move on to the second round.

---

*Back in her room, MAY sits down on the bench.*

MAY:
I just hope I make it to the secondaries…

*Suddenly, someone holds out a red rose in front of her. MAY stares, then looks up to see DREW.*

MAY:
Huh?

DREW:
A good performance, May.

MAY:
That, for me? Thanks, Drew!

*She takes it with a slight blush.*

DREW:
Not for you – it’s for your Beautifly. It’s obvious that the co-ordinator still has a lot of training to do.

*He turns away, flipping his hair. MAY leans forward angrily.*

MAY:
Well, I guess we all can’t be as good as you!

---

*Meanwhile, the OLD MAN is still going on about Pokéblock. TEAM ROCKET now look slightly less enthused than before; JESSIE is yawning behind her hand, and MEOWTH looks bored, too, although JAMES is still scribbling frantically away.*

OLD MAN:
So you see, spicy Pokéblock tightens a Pokémon up for a brighter, smarter look. So now let us take a long, hard look at bitter Pokéblock, on the other hand…

---

*VIVIAN steps up for another announcement.*

VIVIAN:
Now, the results are in! And I thank you all for your patience.

*The scoreboard flashes up the pictures of the eight finalists – among them, MAY, DREW and ROBERT.*

VIVIAN:
These eight co-ordinators move on to the next round.

*MAY’s picture appears in the right half of the screen. Back in her room, MAY gasps with delight; DREW looks at her, surprised.*

DREW:
You made it!

*He begins to smirk.*

DREW:
Because –

MAY (crossly):
I know, you want to say it was all because of Beautifly.

*She clasps her hands giddily.*

MAY:
Oh, who cares! My Beautifly and I are moving on to the secondaries!

*ASH, PIKACHU, BROCK and MAX are pleased at this announcement, too.*

ASH:
That’s so cool, May’s going to the second round!

PIKACHU:
Pi-ka!

MAX:
You know what? She might win!

*BROCK doesn’t look quite as optimistic as the others.*

BROCK:
Yeah, but it’s not going to be easy. They judge on battling ability, and May hasn’t done much of that. It could be rough.

*ASH, PIKACHU and MAX look a little worried, now. They peer over at the scoreboard, which is jumbling the pictures.*

ASH and MAX:
You’re right…

VIVIAN:
The contestants are now being randomly chosen to see who they will be facing in battle.

*The pictures stop moving, showing the match-ups for the next round.*

VIVIAN:
And the results are in!

MAY:
Don’t tell me!

*ASH, BROCK and MAX all gasp.*

ASH:
No way!

*There is a close-up of MAY and DREW’s pictures, side by side – they are to battle each other. Backstage, DREW looks a lot happier about this development than MAY.*

DREW:
Hmm! Me against you? That’ll be fun.

*MAY turns to glare at him.*

MAY (inside her head):
I just can’t lose to him…

*Cut to ad break. ‘Who’s That Pokémon’ = Dustox.*

---

*Part two opens with a shot of the scoreboard. The match between DREW and MAY is up. Beneath their pictures is a timer showing 5:00.*

VIVIAN:
The second round consists of contest battles.

*Shot of the battlefield from above. MAY and DREW stand at opposite ends; VIVIAN and the judges are in the middle and off to the side.*

VIVIAN:
Our contestants will have five minutes to show the judges their battling performance ability.

*Split-screen of MAY and DREW. MAY looks determined, DREW is smirking as usual.*

VIVIAN:
And now, our battle on the first stage will begin!

*The camera zooms in very fast on the timer, then cuts to DREW flicking his hair and throwing a Poké-ball.*

DREW:
Roselia, let’s go, now!

MAY:
Beautifly, take the stage!

*Split-screen of the two Pokémon coming out of their Poké-balls, then cut to ASH, BROCK, PIKACHU and MAX in the stands.*

ASH:
Beautifly’s a bug-type, and Roselia’s a grass-type.

MAX:
And just based on that alone, Beautifly’s got a humungous advantage!

DREW:
Magical Leaf, Roselia!

*ROSELIA shoots a Magical Leaf at BEAUTIFLY.*

MAY:
Beautifly, Gust!

*It looks as though the Gust has blown the Magical Leaf off course.*

ASH:
Yeah, she’s set ‘em right back!

DREW:
Don’t ever mess around with me.

*The Magical Leaf suddenly changes course and zooms towards BEAUTIFLY again.*

MAY:
But how did -? No way!

ASH:
Quick, dodge it!

BROCK:
May, call your move!

MAX:
May!

*The Magical Leaf hits BEAUTIFLY.*

MAY:
Beautifly, no!

*ROSELIA lands gracefully on the ground.*

DREW:
You see, Magical Leaf’s the kind of attack that always hits its mark. You could never repel it with a simple Gust - I’m sorry to have to tell you that.

*The scoreboard shows some of MAY’s point bar going down. The watchers in the stands look worried.*

MAX:
This is bad – she’s losing points.

BROCK:
Yeah. Well, I think she was fooled by that Magical Leaf. She’s not used to battling.

ASH:
It’s my fault. I wish I’d spent more time with May, teaching her.

PIKACHU:
Pi-ka…

DREW:
Roselia, use Stun Spore!

*ROSELIA twirls and sends a blast of Stun Spore over BEAUTIFLY.*

VIVIAN:
That Stun Spore is really coming down on Beautifly.

MAY:
Now, Beautifly, use String Shot!

*BEAUTIFLY performs String Shot, which disperses the Stun Spore.*

DREW:
Go, Magical Leaf!

*The Magical Leaf slices up the string, to MAY’s horror.*

ASH:
It’s not looking so good…

BROCK:
I know… her timing and her attacks are way off their mark.

*MAY’s point bar goes down even further.*

MAY:
OK, Beautifly – Silver Wind!

*BEAUTIFLY’s Silver Wind has some power behind it, although ROSELIA doesn’t flinch.*

DREW:
Use Petal Dance!

*Before the Silver Wind can hit, ROSELIA spins and deflects it with Petal Dance. The attack then continues towards BEAUTIFLY.*

MAY:
Move up to dodge it!

*BEAUTIFLY manages to soar out of the way in time.*

DREW:
Roselia, Solar Beam!

*ROSELIA begins to charge up.*

VIVIAN:
Now Roselia’s preparing to launch a Solar Beam! As it uses the last remaining moments to gather as much energy as possible, this could be the end!

*The clock is now down to 2:15.*

ASH:
Hey, May, if you’re going to attack, do it!

MAY:
Beautifly, use String Shot!

*BEATIFLY fires a String Shot.*

VIVIAN:
And Beautifly makes its attack…

*As the String Shot speeds through the air, ROSELIA opens its eyes and launches the Solar Beam.*

CONTESTA:
What beautiful colours!

SUZIKO:
Oh my gosh! That’s remarkable!

*The Solar Beam hits BEAUTIFLY. MAY gasps.*

ASH, BROCK and MAX:
Beautifly!

VIVIAN:
Wow, the most powerful grass-type attack, and a direct hit!

*BEAUTIFLY, looking very beaten-up, sinks to the ground.*

MAY:
Beautifly, hang in there, please!

VIVIAN:
Precious few seconds remain. Can Beautifly keep up the battle?

*There is a loud buzzing sound. The judges’ panels all display yellow crosses on their view screens.*

VIVIAN:
It’s battle-off for Beautifly.

*ASH, PIKACHU, BROCK and MAX react with alarm.*

ASH:
What’s battle-off?

BROCK:
The judges rule that the battle is over.

ASH:
That’s too bad…

*Upwards panning shot of DREW and ROSELIA. *

VIVIAN:
Drew and Roselia should proceed to the second stage immediately.

*DREW takes a bow, flicks his hair, turns and leaves. Behind him, MAY is visible kneeling on the ground behind BEAUTIFLY. There are tears in her eyes.*

MAX:
So that’s it… I guess May lost.

PIKACHU:
Pi-ka…

ASH:
Looks like contest battles are real battles after all. You lose that and you’ve lost the whole thing.

BROCK:
Yeah. That Roselia of Drew’s was… pretty amazing.

*Close-up of the scoreboard, showing DREW and ROSELIA as the victors.*

---

*Pan down to show MAY from above, head down, sitting on the bench. ASH, BROCK and MAX stand around her. Then close-up of her hands clenched in her lap, with tears falling on them.*

MAX:
I’m so sorry, May.

MAY (sobbing):
I stink! I couldn’t do a thing! To think that my Beautifly worked so hard out there… all I did was totally mess everything up. I feel awful!

ASH:
It’s OK…

PIKACHU:
Pi-ka…

MAY:
You know… the only thing I could think about was how much fun it would be if I entered a Pokémon contest, and to perform side by side with Beautifly. But I never thought how hard it would be to lose!

BROCK:
It hurts, May.

MAX:
It hurts a lot.

*At that moment, a dull roar comes from the TV. They look over to see DREW and ROSELIA onscreen.*

VIVIAN:
Ladies and gentlemen, we’re three minutes into the second match.

*A close-up of the screen shows that DREW’s usual confidence has disappeared; he and ROSELIA both look worried. As VIVIAN talks, the view shifts to ROBERT and MILOTIC, who are cool and collected.*

VIVIAN:
Roselia defeated Beautifly without taking a hit, but it’s a different story against Milotic’s awesome strength.

*Close-up of ROBERT.*

ROBERT:
Milotic, let’s give Iron Tail a try.

*Fast upward panning shot of MILOTIC; it’s tail glows white and begins to wave from side to side. Then it strikes, sending ROSELIA flying.*

DREW:
Roselia! Magical Leaf, now!

*ROSELIA rights itself in midair and fires a Magical Leaf attack.*

ROBERT:
All right, Milotic, use Twister.

*A whirlwind bursts from the tip of MILOTIC’s tail, blasting the Magical Leaf away; the leaves fall around ROSELIA. At that moment, the timer runs out. ROBERT still has most of his points left; DREW only has a sliver.*

VIVIAN:
Time’s up! Robert and Milotic will proceed on to the final battle!

*ROBERT and MILOTIC’s pictures flash up on the screen in front of a picture of the Slateport ribbon, and above the word WINNER. DREW looks crestfallen.*

DREW:
That’s it… it’s over.

*While VIVIAN speaks, the camera pans from MILOTIC to ROBERT*

VIVIAN:
Milotic managed to combine overwhelming power with beauty and style, in perfect synchronicity with its trainer, Robert.

*Cut to ASH, MAY, MAX and BROCK, watching from backstage.*

ASH:
Unbelievable – Drew lost!

MAX:
I know! Milotic’s super-strong.

*Close up of an open-mouthed MAY.*

BROCK:
I guess there’s always going to be someone who’s better, right?

---

*Fade in outside the contest hall. The OLD MAN is still jabbering on. Pan down to show him and TEAM ROCKET.*

OLD MAN:
And when it comes to addressing the daunting task of improving the quality and thickness of a Pokémon’s fur, we discover it can be implemented through using the right kind of berries, and, of course, in the proper proportions to achieve the maximum benefit –

*While he is talking, it is revealed that JESSIE and MEOWTH are snoring on each other’s shoulders. JAMES is still scribbling, but there is a desperate air about him now, and his face is beaded with sweat.*

---

*Back at the contest, ROBERT stands on the podium, being presented with the Slateport ribbon by CONTESTA. MILOTIC stands behind him, and confetti falls around them while the crowd applauds wildly.*

VIVIAN:
And now the coveted Slateport ribbon is presented to Robert and his Milotic!

*Panning shot of the crowd clapping, including MAY, ASH, MAX and BROCK on the balcony. MAY seems to have cheered up. DREW, in contrast, is unsmiling.*

VIVIAN:
Which means, the Slateport City Pokémon contest is officially over!

*As she speaks, DREW gets up and walks away along the row of seats.*

VIVIAN:
Until next time!

*Close up of MAY and the others. MAY notices DREW leaving and looks over at him.*

MAY:
Huh?

---

*Outside the contest hall, the camera pans down to show DREW walking out of the door, hands in his pockets. A voice calls from behind him.*

MAY:
Drew!

DREW:
Huh?

*He turns. MAY comes running out of the door, ASH, MAX and BROCK behind her.*

DREW:
What is it, May? You want a rematch?

*Close up on MAY. She is smiling determinedly.*

MAY:
Next time, I won’t be the loser!

*DREW smiles back at her.*

DREW:
Huh. Oh, yeah? We’ll just see.

*He does the traditional hair flick.*

DREW:
Of course, I’ll be a lot stronger too, remember. Right!

*He turns and walks away. Shot of MAY and the group.*

ASH:
Looks like Drew’s even more determined than before.

PIKACHU:
Pi-ka-chu.

MAX:
Yeah, how ‘bout you, May?

MAY:
Huh?

*She looks around at the others.*

BROCK:
You can do it. We’ll all help you out.

MAY:
Thanks a lot, you guys.

*She turns to the front again, fists clenched.*

MAY:
I’m done crying! From now on, I’m going to become a great co-ordinator, and focus on my training and my battling! Yeah!

*She jumps into the air, one arm held aloft.*

MAY:
Watch me!

*Freeze on that scene as the narrator starts to talk, then fade into a closer shot of MAY.*

NARRATOR:
Although May was defeated in her very first Pokémon contest, she has a renewed energy, and understands that the real challenge is just beginning!

*Fade out.*

---

*It is now night time. The OLD MAN is still talking.*

OLD MAN:
To put it in other words, Pokéblock is of the utmost importance in maintaining a Pokémon’s health and well being.

*JESSIE and MEOWTH are passed out on the ground. JAMES is still awake, but he’s having difficulty holding his head up.*

OLD MAN:
It is essential to constantly adjust the proportion of ingredients to reflect the needs of the Pokémon in question.

*Finally, even JAMES can take no more, and he falls over backwards, fast asleep.*

OLD MAN:
Nonetheless, it is wise to remember that in the final analysis, Pokéblock is primarily a –

*His voice and the scene fades out as the episode ends.*

wobbanut

Team Awesome
It's too bad that May's first contest didn't go that well for her, from her slipping before she sent Beautifly out to her losing to Drew after they did so well in their unofficial battle two episodes before. I definitely can't wait for the Grand Festival episodes, but I'm not going to say why so I don't have to bother with spoiler tags.

I also liked the whole bit with the old man giving Team Rocket a huge lecture on pokeblock making, and how long James held out before he finally collapsed. LOL :D

JONNO.FRESH

That is one F*cking long post.

Anyway the first Contest epi May was in. Pretty good and i enjoyed it

HelloKitty17

therocketsummer</3
Poor May, must not have felt good to get beaten so bad at her first contest ='[ Drew is gold though, love everything he says.

Rebeccag

I havent seen Mays first contest before and when I did i really enjoyed it. Poor May though but yay Drew gave her a rose for Beautifly *cough*. And also it was good to see Robert too

Pikustrite

AND I AAAM DEAD.
no Team Rocket Havoc T__T ... the old man really knows his stuff! xDD James looks really in to it :]
love the part where Drew gives his rose to May's Beautifly *coughmaycough*
Flickyness ^^;; just plain LOVE IT <3

Battra

Excellent episode and grats to May for making it to the battle round of contests, that's probably farther than most beginners make it their first time. It's nice TR didn't make their usual appearance and were tied down by that nice old man who knew everything about Pokebloks. Nice to see the beginning of May & Drew shipping with Drew giving May a rose, it was nice of him and shows that he's not going to be the "Indigo Gary" of Hoen that gets reserved for another Coordinator down the line.