• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Windows 8 Laptop acting strangly

ChloboShoka

Writer
My laptop is a HP Pavillion and runs on windows 8. Everything has been fine until Rock Turner crept onto my laptop. I deleted it and uninstalled it then it would keep coming back. Then all of a sudden today none of my programs on my laptop would load and couldn't get to the internet despite being able to on my tablet so it wasn't a wifi problem.

The programs such as chrome, itunes and all the windows apps would crash within 3 seconds of pressing the button.

I had an update on my laptop and thus the laptop restarted. I thought it would do the trick but then when I logged in all the text was corrupt. I can't log in with my windows account and I can't connect to any wifi. Every time I try to log in, it goes straight to the screen saver and takes me back to the log in screen.

The laptop is still in warrinty. I would like to try and fix it on my own if I can. I considered a factory reset but now I can't even get into my desktop.

Some pictures
http://shychloe.tumblr.com/image/98654826323
http://shychloe.tumblr.com/image/98675668498
http://shychloe.tumblr.com/image/98675747688

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Yami Ron

Elite Member
See if you can get the machine into Safe Mode by holding F8 while the system is booting and then uninstall the Rock Tuner process, remove it from the Startup, Task Scheduler, and remove it from the Registry (if it exists there - HKLM > CurrentControlSet > Services). Delete the files as well where it is trying to launch the file from.

Again, CCleaner maybe helpful but it might not work the same in Safe Mode with issues like these. So you will be on the hunt solo.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
See if you can get the machine into Safe Mode by holding F8 while the system is booting and then uninstall the Rock Tuner process, remove it from the Startup, Task Scheduler, and remove it from the Registry (if it exists there - HKLM > CurrentControlSet > Services). Delete the files as well where it is trying to launch the file from.

Again, CCleaner maybe helpful but it might not work the same in Safe Mode with issues like these. So you will be on the hunt solo.

You can't get to Safe Mode that way in Windows 8. In order to get into Safe Mode hold the Shift key when clicking Restart, that'll restart into the troubleshooting menu. You want to look for startup options, which will then let you get into Safe Mode.

You can also try Malewarebytes or AdwCleaner, however if you're fine with doing a factory reset that'll be a lot easier. You can reset from that same troubleshooting screen I mentioned.