• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Windows Live Messenger No Audio

Master Kodoku

Yanbarukuina Flew
I recently upgraded my laptop from Windows Viata to Windows 7. Before I upgraded, I was able to video chat and video call with my friend? After I upgraded, I can't hear my friend's voice anymore. Is there any problem with my webcam or it's Windows Live Messenger's problem? By the way, I use Camera Assistant Software supported by Toshiba. Is there any required software for Windows Live messenger?

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I recently upgraded my laptop from Windows Viata to Windows 7. Before I upgraded, I was able to video chat and video call with my friend? After I upgraded, I can't hear my friend's voice anymore. Is there any problem with my webcam or it's Windows Live Messenger's problem? By the way, I use Camera Assistant Software supported by Toshiba. Is there any required software for Windows Live messenger?
If there is it should ask for it.

With out knowing what your set up is, I'm going to assume that you're using USB head set.

There is a menu option called "Audio And Video Setup" under "Tools". You should be able to set it the correct Audio settings.

Master Kodoku

Yanbarukuina Flew
If there is it should ask for it.

With out knowing what your set up is, I'm going to assume that you're using USB head set.

There is a menu option called "Audio And Video Setup" under "Tools". You should be able to set it the correct Audio settings.

Oh sorry to mention about it. I use built-in webcam and mic.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Oh sorry to mention about it. I use built-in webcam and mic.
If you can hear sounds from other Programs or even when Live Messanger gets a new message. It would have to be with your Audio settings. The Speaker in by the clock should have some curves coming out of it. If there isn't click it and hit unmute or drag the slider up. Also you may want to hit Mixer there and Make sure that Live Messenger hasn't been turned down.

If there is a red X, you need to find the Audio Drivers. You should look on your Laptops web site for them.

Master Kodoku

Yanbarukuina Flew
Yes, I can hear sounds from other programs and when messenger gets new message. I've checked my audio setting and I've done everything. I clicked on Mixer, the raised the audio level up to maximum. Still, I can't do voice chat.

33808767.png

I believe there isn't red "x" when I do voice chat. Is there any problem with Windows 7 or Messenger?

Last edited:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Yes, I can hear sounds from other programs and when messenger gets new message. I've checked my audio setting and I've done everything. I clicked on Mixer, the raised the audio level up to maximum. Still, I can't do voice chat.

33808767.png

I believe there isn't red "x" when I do voice chat. Is there any problem with Windows 7 or Messenger?
There are a few options.. Check the Audio settings under "Audio And Video Setup" under "Tools", there are several Volume controls.. it's possible that it's turned down.

I'm leaning to think it's Messenger.. As I'd expect this to happen with XP to Vista or Windows 7, as some hardware stopped working properly.

Also, get him to check his system.. He could have Accedently Muted the Mic.

My Head set has a Mic Mute button, it's easy for me to hit it and not know know I've muted myself. Quite painful when you spent a long time in TF2 with the Mic off and yelling "Spy by the Cart".

Last edited:

Master Kodoku

Yanbarukuina Flew
There are a few options.. Check the Audio settings under "Audio And Video Setup" under "Tools", there are several Volume controls.. it's possible that it's turned down.

I'm leaning to think it's Messenger.. As I'd expect this to happen with XP to Vista or Windows 7, as some hardware stopped working properly.

Also, get him to check his system.. He could have Accedently Muted the Mic.

My Head set has a Mic Mute button, it's easy for me to hit it and not know know I've muted myself. Quite painful when you spent a long time in TF2 with the Mic off and yelling "Spy by the Cart".

Yup, I've done everything you suggested me. It still won't work so I'll assume that it's a problem with Windows 7 and/or Windows Live messenger. I wonder if it's the problem with webcam software I'm using.