• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Windows Live Messenger

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
Every time I try to sign into MSN I get a notification telling me that my computer won't let me sign in. It told me to check my proxy for internet explorer (I checked it, I think it was fine... but then again, I use Firefox. I tried doing it in Firefox but the menu was all different, and I still have no idea what a proxy is), or it said it may be FireWall problem, but that was fine, too. I have absolutely no idea what to do, and the only information I have is that it's apparently "Error 80072ee2 or 80072efd: You cannot sign in to Windows Live Messenger". So, can anyone help?

By the way, I know absolutely nothing about the internet or internet terms, etc. So please simplify what you're telling me and give me steps on how to do it.

Mimori Kiryu

This happens to me all the time when I use MSN. Just restart your computer and don't open anything until you load MSN. It should work; basically what's happening is your internet connection is affecting MSN too. If this doesn't work, I have another idea.

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
I just tried that, and it still wouldn't log me in. But this problem has been happening for maybe the past four days. I thought if I left it alone it would fix itself lol but that didn't work. What's your other idea?

That happened to me once.
You know how I fixed it?
I got a new computer.

Anyways, I think there should be some other type of Windows Live Messanger on your computer. That is supposed to work now matter what. (unless if you dont have internet)
It sucks, But better then nothing.

Shuam

righteous
There is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE tool for MSN that allows you to freeze any other person's MSN. This means that you won't be able to log in from your desktop, but you can log in from online messengers, such as meebo or eBuddy. If you've been talking to anyone with hacking capabilities, this is a highly possible event. It happened to me on my old computer : (

However, that may not be the case at all. If it isn't, then try reinstalling it. If that doesn't work, try downloading an alternative MSN messenger, such as aMSN or Pidgin. And see if it works. Also, this page might help.

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
I tried everything you guys said and none of it worked, so I just downloaded Pidgin, and that's up and working, so if I have to, I'll just use that. So, thanks Shuam lol. That's really weird about that whole IM freezing thing, did MSN create that tool?

If anybody else has any suggestions, I'll try them lol.

Mimori Kiryu

You might have to try uninstalling it from your computer and erase everything that has to do with WLM. After that, reinstall and that might clear it up.

Sorry I'm not helping much. ^^;

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
Lol ok, um, how exactly do I uninstall it? Sorry I really have absolutely no idea lol.

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
Okay, I uninstalled MSN, then I re-installed it, and it still doesn't work. I can't imagine anyone I've talked to being a hacker since I just started going on MSN again after it's been like a year, and I haven't talked to anyone yet, and it worked like the day before this all happened, which was the first time I went on it again, so does anyone else have any suggestion at all?

dragonskull

Dark trainer
try to log on on a different account (simply make one) if the issue persists then there is something wrong with your Internet Explorer codecs (the windows files used for making acces to the internet (used by well ike every program made solely for windows) if this is the case then you should do a bootup repair with your original windows 98/ME/2000/XP/VISTA disk. If you have Vista you can try to directly do system recovery inside Accesoires and then System Tools but the before the date this issue occured. I hope that helped

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
Oh well I had already tried making a new account and that didn't work either, but the thing you're saying (for internet explorer), but does it make any difference that I use mozilla firefox?

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Golly, the advice some people give here...

There is no 'tool' that lets you freeze an MSN of your choice. It is just a simple software setting with Live Messenger on YOUR computer which isn't allowing you to log on. Most likely, if reinstalling didnt work, your problem lies in the Internet Options in your control panel. Live Messenger, like all Microsoft programs, gets Internet settings from this control panel.

Other programs such as Firefox and Pidgin have their own settings, and as the issue lies with the Messenger program on YOUR computer, creating a new MSN account will do nothing, just like getting another driver's license will not enable you to drive a broken-down car.

First things first, to work out what setting you need to change, what happened right before your msn didn't work? Did you change any hardware, go from wireless to cable, install/uninstall anything, use somebody else's internet on your computer, etc?

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
First things first, to work out what setting you need to change, what happened right before your msn didn't work? Did you change any hardware, go from wireless to cable, install/uninstall anything, use somebody else's internet on your computer, etc?

Um, none of those lol. I might have installed something... although nothing comes to mind.

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Oh okay. Well, go to the Options for your MSN, and go to Connection Settings, and see if you are connected to the MSN network. It will even check for you to see where the bottleneck is.

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
It says "you are currently not connected to the .net messenger service". I guess that's the problem haha.