• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Windows Vista hardrive depleting or something..

Metamence

Okay, I got a computer 1 month ago..
Today morning, it was at 518 GB, now it's 515 currently..
I haven't done anything to downloading, to making new files, to etc..today..
Even if I did, 3 Gigabytes is a lot..
Is there a program to clean up my computer or something?
I have been using the "Disk Cleanup" for some time once I realized my hardrive was "depleting"...
Well, I hope someone can help me..
(I'm a n00b at computers at times..)
OH GOD... I now have 552 GB :D Problem solved, but I want moar o meh GB bak... (whine)

Last edited:

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
What did you do to your computer in between the morning and just then?

It's possible it could just be Windows making a better estimate at your available space.

Disk Cleanup is like any other type of cleaning, once you've done it once, it won't be effective again for a while. After all, scrubbing the tiles in your bathroom every five minutes doesn't get rid of any more dirt, does it?

Metamence

What did you do to your computer in between the morning and just then?

It's possible it could just be Windows making a better estimate at your available space.

Disk Cleanup is like any other type of cleaning, once you've done it once, it won't be effective again for a while. After all, scrubbing the tiles in your bathroom every five minutes doesn't get rid of any more dirt, does it?
Well, I've used the internet, which is kind of obvious, ran a virus scan, and well, that's pretty much it..
And, what do you mean by that?
That is true...

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Well, imagine someone gave you a huge empty warehouse and asked you to tell him how many bricks you could fit into it. Obviously, it would take a while for you to tell him exactly how much space was in there - Windows is the same, it can give estimates on your available disk space but it takes a while for the more exact number.

If you surf the internet and watch videos on youtube, it's possible that your browser is storing the videos on your hard drive so that if you decide to watch them later it doesn't have to load them all again. This is called cache. That will be deleted usually when you close the program or turn of your computer.

And also, 3GB when we're in the order of 500GB isn't a heap...if it continues that could be a worry but it's no real need for concern.

Metamence

Well, imagine someone gave you a huge empty warehouse and asked you to tell him how many bricks you could fit into it. Obviously, it would take a while for you to tell him exactly how much space was in there - Windows is the same, it can give estimates on your available disk space but it takes a while for the more exact number.

If you surf the internet and watch videos on youtube, it's possible that your browser is storing the videos on your hard drive so that if you decide to watch them later it doesn't have to load them all again. This is called cache. That will be deleted usually when you close the program or turn of your computer.

And also, 3GB when we're in the order of 500GB isn't a heap...if it continues that could be a worry but it's no real need for concern.
Oh I get it..
And I have been watching a lot of Youtube videos,so if I shut down the browser, the cache will be deleted..
And in 1 month it took off a huge chunk like 80 GB...

siburke939

<------ my 1st shiny
things like your internet cache / temp files / browsing history / cookies will take up space on your hard drive - you can adjust your settings to stop it but the standard "storage limits" will do most of the work for you anyway

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Windows Does Create a Restore Point every so often usually when you're updating. If you have Automatic Updates, your PC will create a Restore point on each update. (Vista updates Defender ever few days.)(Windows does however Delete them after a period of time, I've set my PCs Manually, as I know what I'm doing: My laptop a few weeks, my PC longer.)

Metamence

Windows Does Create a Restore Point every so often usually when you're updating. If you have Automatic Updates, your PC will create a Restore point on each update. (Vista updates Defender ever few days.)(Windows does however Delete them after a period of time, I've set my PCs Manually, as I know what I'm doing: My laptop a few weeks, my PC longer.)
Well, is there a way to disable "Automatic Updates" and make it to notify me when it is needing an update, or something like that?
And is there a way to delete the restore point now?

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Well, is there a way to disable "Automatic Updates" and make it to notify me when it is needing an update, or something like that?
And is there a way to delete the restore point now?

Yes, both actually! But You need to have Admin Access.

But if you have 500 GB Free, you really don't need to worry. Vista works ok until you have less than 15% Free. (and even then It should still works fine.)

My Vista Laptop has only 7GB Free of a 54GB HDD!

Updates

START-> Windows Update -> Update Settings -> Set your settings.

There are 4 options. I do not recommend the "Never Check". I have it "Download Only" and Not install until I say. I recommend "Notify only."

Remeber, this is the way for Microsoft to updates it's programs. Some of these are to correct MAJOR loop holes that could do some damage to PC or a Bank accounts.

Restore Point

You can delete all bar the Most recent BUT I don't recommend doing it very often unless you really need the HDD Space. All the Restore points can't take more than 15% of a HDD. I have find that I have needed to jump back about 3 restore points before I can get the problem to sorted.

On the Disk Clean up window there is a second tab. At the bottom of that Box lies the Restore Point Removal.

Last edited:

Metamence

Yes, both actually! But You need to have Admin Access.

But if you have 500 GB Free, you really don't need to worry. Vista works ok until you have less than 15% Free. (and even then It should still works fine.)

My Vista Laptop has only 7GB Free of a 54GB HDD!

Updates

START-> Windows Update -> Update Settings -> Set your settings.

There are 4 options. I do not recommend the "Never Check". I have it "Download Only" and Not install until I say. I recommend "Notify only."

Remeber, this is the way for Microsoft to updates it's programs. Some of these are to correct MAJOR loop holes that could do some damage to PC or a Bank accounts.

Restore Point

You can delete all bar the Most recent BUT I don't recommend doing it very often unless you really need the HDD Space. All the Restore points can't take more than 15% of a HDD. I have find that I have needed to jump back about 3 restore points before I can get the problem to sorted.

On the Disk Clean up window there is a second tab. At the bottom of that Box lies the Restore Point Removal.
Ah, thank you for the help.. Although, it is odd, when I am an Admin, but it says I need "Admin Access..", but I've heard how glitchy Vista is..so I'm not really that worried..

Metamence

500GB and your using it to watch a lot of youtube videos!?
Uhh.. Right now I kinda quit watching Youtube videos..
I've been recording my gigabytes and here it is..
Free Space:
11:41 PM 1/16/2009 538,442,649,600 501 GB
10:49 AM 1/17/2009: 537,352,273,920 500 GB
Meh..

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Uhh.. Right now I kinda quit watching Youtube videos..
I've been recording my gigabytes and here it is..

Meh..

1 Gig, that's not much to worry about, asuming that You have an update.

Vista also creates some files to speed up the PC, I'd leave them there. But I can't say anything with out knowing what you did in those hours. 500 Gigabyte Free space is plenty.

My iTunes collection, or I should say my Podcast collection is about 5GB. (No, I ain't Joking, I help create 200 Meg of it.) 1 gig is just over 2 novel lengh Audio Books. I'm using Nathan Lowell's Quater Share Series and South Coast as examples. About that is 2 days of listening. (I've listen to that at least twice!)

2.5 Gig is a Movie in HD, under the right commpression. (It's the 1st Bleach Movie, No I'll not state where I got the info as it's against the rules!)

For PCs that use Hibernation, The PC will place the entire contents of memory in to a Temporary file to disk, and Load it back up when restarting. The File will be about the same size of the memory on board.

For a PC that is Resonbly new, as Hdds over 500Gig are expesive. Your PC is creating Cache files, to make it run faster.

Just Make clear Blu Ray holds about 50 GB and DVDs hold about 4GB-8GB, (17 is achevailbe but you need to record on the other side!)

Metamence

For PCs that use Hibernation, The PC will place the entire contents of memory in to a Temporary file to disk, and Load it back up when restarting. The File will be about the same size of the memory on board.

I frequently use Hibernation, and would cleaning it up with the disk clean up with the recovery option delete the "temporary file" or something?
Yeh, I'll be frequently posting updates of what my GBs are if you don't mind....
Free Space:
11:41 PM 1/16/2009 538,442,649,600 501 GB
10:49 AM 1/17/2009: 537,352,273,920 500 GB
2:44 PM 1/17/2009 536,248,696,832 499 GB

1 Gig, that's not much to worry about, asuming that You have an update.
Yeah, I'll be really worried when 1 GB or more is dropping each day.. And what update?

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I honestly don't know why you're loosing more than a Gig a day.. but then I don't know what you're doing on your PC.

Here's what I've think could be adding stuff to you pc:

Most Anti-Spyware, Anti Virus security packages wouldn't need take a Gig a day. At least Trusted ones don't.

If you've using iTunes or other podcast software, and in particular downloading Podcasts, this can build up quite quickly. Most Decent Podcasters will try make the file smallish.

Several Music Apps will convert any found files in the background, iTunes and Windows Media both can/will do this.

RSS Readers do download stuff. But I hardly doubt that they would do 1 gig alone.

A Downloading app installed such as BitTorrent, or even TV download services such as the BBC iPlayer. About Torrents, they can be stuck in to a RSS Feed, like music and Video which if set up correcly will Automaticly download a that torrent's content of other users. Some Torrent downloaders, will Make files with the apparent size of the final file, then download the files in to that gap.

Other users could add some of the above and the settings could eat a gig a day.

Metamence

Most Anti-Spyware, Anti Virus security packages wouldn't need take a Gig a day. At least Trusted ones don't.
I use Norton Antivirus, and I know that one is trusted.. (I know AVG is better, I think..)
If you've using iTunes or other podcast software, and in particular downloading Podcasts, this can build up quite quickly. Most Decent Podcasters will try make the file smallish.
Well I don't have iTunes, and I rarley use W. Media Player.. Yeah, I haven't been touching any Podcasts..
Several Music Apps will convert any found files in the background, iTunes and Windows Media both can/will do this.
Previous answer Ditto.. I haven't heard any sort of sound while "surfing"..
RSS Readers do download stuff. But I hardly doubt that they would do 1 gig alone.
Those things that download stuff like blog entries?
Oh wow, I found a similar result such as mine on Google..
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-hardware-devices/21234-hard-drive-capacity-keeps-dropping.html
Unfortunately I don't think that site has an answer to my problem..
EDIT:Whoo hoo.. I'm down to 498..
I've been deleting the recovery and shadow restore stuff and etc, but like chuboy said, it doesn't work after a while..

Last edited:

Azatos

I frequently use Hibernation, and would cleaning it up with the disk clean up with the recovery option delete the "temporary file" or something?
Yeh, I'll be frequently posting updates of what my GBs are if you don't mind....

Yeah, I'll be really worried when 1 GB or more is dropping each day.. And what update?

May I ask do you download alot of things?

EDIT: Disable system restore points, that what the problem for most of the other people was

Last edited: