• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Wings Have We

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
{18} a name once heard...

The atmosphere among the Groupie Galaxy had improved significantly from the previous night, but there was still a strange silence hovering over them, only making itself known when conversation seemed to die down and making those times that much worse. They had left Amelia Wolfe’s hospitality earlier that morning.

“Um, Casey…” said Grant, looking around.

“Hm?” he replied (somewhat absently).

“You are looking for Pokémon to train on, right?”

Casey paused for a moment. “Yeah, I suppose I am.”

“Well, it doesn’t look like there are many around here. Do you think we should go back to Rhion and try a different forest entrance?”

“No,” he replied. “I think we’re okay here. It’s morning; a lot of the Pokémon are just waking up or just going to bed, right? If we wait a couple hours, the forest should be swarming with Pokémon as usual.”

“Right.” Grant didn’t sound particularly convinced, for he pulled the Pipe down from its previous position of slung over his shoulder and instead opted to carry it in his hand like a club.

“Larvitar, keep looking for any early risers, okay?” Casey took out Larvitar’s Pokéball and released the Ground-type again. He initially did not look too pleased to be out in the open (Casey had woken him up, the little Ratatta), but upon hearing that they were in a forest with potential victims to be had, all hard feelings were forgotten.

…Well, except for the ones directed towards Caro.

Sheridan, noticing the arrival of Larvitar, shot a glance in Caro’s direction lest she need to block any more physical assaults. Fortunately, though, the boy had simply tried to ignore Larvitar and kept his eyes fixed on the forest ahead. Sheridan wanted to say something, she really did, but comforting those in a bad mood was definitely not her strong suit.

Casey, sensing the rather unpleasant silence once again, turned back Larvitar with an inquisitive expression on his face.

“So are you ready to do some training?” he asked the Pokémon.

Larvitar nodded with a smirk and a glint in his eye. Training induced getting stronger, and Larvitar was always one for getting stronger.

‘If I get stronger,’ thought the Pokémon for the sixth time since he came under the ownership of Casey, ‘then maybe I can evolve into something actually good. And when I evolve into something actually good I can ditch this kid and…’ The Larvitar was unaware that he was now grinning maniacally, and only the calling of his Trainer returned him to something resembling a calm state.

“Larvitar!”

The Pokémon looked up at Casey, blinking innocently.

“Don’t daydream,” said the redhead, stopping to look around. “This is serious business.”

Larvitar saluted his Trainer, cheered even further by the concept of the Casey kid finally growing a spine. <Yeah!>

Both Pokémon and Trainer took a good look around at the surrounding forest, hoping to find some sort of Pokémon to begin their training session on. (In the meantime, Grant, Sheridan, and Caro gawked with unrivaled amazement at the sudden initiative their friend was showing.)

“Ssssssssr.”

Everyone in the area straightened up at once. Even Caro popped out of his funk temporarily to look around with a confused expression on his face. “Who just said that?” wondered the boy.

“It sounded like someone snoring,” observed Grant helpfully.

“And who would be asleep in the middle of a forest?” asked Sheridan with raised eyebrows. “No, it’s probably not someone camping out for the night, unless they’re really outdoorsy types. It must be a Pokémon of some kind… but you might be onto something with the snoring thing. Look over there!”

Indeed, there had been a rustling noise from directly in front of them. Out from under the bush squirmed a small brown Pokémon with half-open eyes and sharp claws. It had its stomach to the ground and stared up at the group dopily before giving off a loud yawn.

Larvitar perked up almost immediately afterward. <Opponent!> he shouted. <Yes!>

Caro rolled his eyes and returned to sulking position – hands jammed in his pockets and staring out at everything under a mess of spiky hair that seemed to have lost all power over gravity that it once held. “Your Larvitar’s found his next target,” he told Casey flatly.

“Right. Thanks.” Casey had definitely sensed some hostility in the boy’s words. He clearly hadn’t recovered entirely from the rather unpleasant stay at Amelia’s house. “Larvitar, use… uh… hold on.” He fished the JAWS out of his backpack again and checked Larvitar’s moveset, ignoring the Pokémon’s bemused expression. Meanwhile, the newcomer Pokémon squirmed into what could perhaps be called ‘battle position’, somehow sensing the hostility emanating from Larvitar in waves.

“…Okay, now use Rock Slide!”

Larvitar stomped on the ground a few times. A nearby boulder became dislodged from its position and, with some body language coaxing by Larvitar, hovered above the Slakoth’s head. The Normal-type didn’t bother to look up at it, but rather shivered as it yawned again. With a loud battle cry, the tiny Ground-type brought the rock crashing down on his opponent.

<Hopefully,> yelled Larvitar, <this will teach you to respect your opponents!>

Caro snorted.

The Slakoth screeched and climbed out of the wreckage. It took a few steps away from the crumbled boulder and yawned, scratching itself behind the ear.

“Isn’t it going to do anything?” asked Casey.

“Slakoth are exceptionally lazy,” said Sheridan matter-of-factly. “In battles, they don’t even do anything half the time.”

“So we attack again. Larvitar, Rock Slide aga—”

“Hold on just a minute, twerp!” yelled an irritated voice from somewhere in the forest.

Before any members of the Groupie Galaxy had time to question this mysterious intonation, the presumed origin of the noise stormed out of the nearby underbrush. This presumed origin was a tall, slightly heavy man who looked to be about thirty, with white hair sticking out in two separate directions on his head. “Don’t you know not to go stomping around attacking other people’s Pokémon?”

“I thought it was wild,” said Casey, crossing his arms. “Does it belong to you?”

“Yes it does!” snapped the man, before turning to his Slakoth and saying in a considerably less irritated voice, “Return.” He held out a Pokéball, which sucked up the Pokémon instantly.

Sheridan gave out a pondering “Hmm.” She was ignored.

Cramming the red-and-white object in his pocket, the man frowned at the sight of Casey’s traveling companions. “You’re a League Challenge trainer, aren’t you?”

“Well, yes,” replied Casey. “I’m getting Badges, so…”

“I know what you’re doing,” he snorted, arms crossed impatiently. “Why do you think I guessed you’re chasing after a spot in the Hall of Heroes or whatever? No, I know what you guys do. Only Badge twerps run around with three other people in toe behind them. Seriously… I don’t know what gets into you people, just following the kid around and begging to be—”

Clyde!

The man recently identified as Clyde stopped in mid-sentence in favor of letting his eyes widen considerably and letting a surprised expression wash over his face. Clyde turned around to face a woman’s head that had recently popped out from behind a tree, much to everyone else’s surprise. His body language (slumping his shoulders and sighing melodramatically) suggested he was not pleased to see her, and she didn’t exactly look hyped up about finding Clyde, either. This woman’s head happened to have a lengthy mess of very light pink hair, and it was not looking amused.

“Clyde,” she continued. “You’re supposed to be looking for Slakoth, not having a little chat with strangers!”

“This ‘stranger’ was trying to beat up my Pokémon,” said Clyde in his own defense, holding out the Pokéball to prove it. “What was I gonna do, just return it and leave?”

“Certainly sounds like something you would do,” said the woman primly.

“Tiffany, just shut up,” Clyde grumbled. He turned his head to the group so that the woman behind the tree couldn’t see him, rolled his eyes, and mouthed the word ‘Sisters’. Thus accomplished, he turned back to Tiffany with a frown on his face. “Alright, whatever. I’m coming…”

“Well surely you’re not going to just leave them here!”

“Sure I am.” Clyde disappeared among the trees, long blue coat flapping weakly as he moved. “Whatever happened to not conversing with strangers, hmm, sis?”

Tiffany shrugged at the travelers. “I’m sorry. My brother Clyde has a total lack of manners, among other things… I feel like I need to make it up to you somehow.”

“No, that’s really not ne—” began Casey.

“Oh, I know!” continued Tiffany, not seeming to notice Casey’s words in the least. “Would you four care to join us for some lunch today? Billy was being an idiot and packed way too much food again.”

There was a unanimous, if somewhat delayed, nod. Free grub was not to be declined.

-

{A few days previous…}

“Sir, there seems to be a… development.”

Fedora Man looked at his computer screen, which now displayed the cold but feminine features of a relatively plump twenty-something on the other end. She had steel-gray hair pulled up into a ponytail, but this didn’t stop a mess of it from falling down into her face.

“With what?”

“Nami was just getting to focus the Beam. She was going to use it on… you know, the Rhyperior. Well, she had Juan here in order to help her – evidently, her immense knowledge was not quite immense enough to keep the Beam working. She needed to get everyone’s favorite mechanic over from Rhoter City. Because, sir, you see…”

“It broke?” interrupted Fedora Man. “Solana, are you trying to tell me the Beam broke?”

“In basics, yes, sir,” said Solana with a blank tone. “It broke.”

There was a long silence.

“That would be a problem, wouldn’t it,” said Fedora Man. It was presented as a statement.

Solana nodded. “Nami told me to tell you about it.”

“Why? It’s a simple malfunction, isn’t it?”

“Not exactly, sir,” remarked the woman on the other end, frowning slightly. “Because, sir, you see, we’ve actually found out something quite unnerving about the side effects of that Beam.”

“We know about the side effects of the Beam, don’t we?” asked Fedora Man, standing up. “Potential mutations and power increases. That’s it, that’s all it’s been showing for years, even when the previous residents were using it to track the creature… to track Her.”

“Yes, but the scientists didn’t have any arianite around when they were tracking Her.”

“What’s the significance of arianite in this?”

“Well, sir, without going on too long…”

“Oh, heavens forbid you did that,” said Fedora Man. “Just be sure to get all the details in, won’t you?”

“Of course, sir! Anyhow, you are aware that arianite was discovered in Kanto… the shards of a rock originating from outer space, makes Clefairies evolve and whatnot?”

“Yes, I know that,” said Fedora Man. “I’ve known that since I was a—since I was in high school. Go on.”

“There’s no need to hide that, you know. In any case, we happened to have a sizable hunk of arianite on hand. It was being transported to another room for use in our… other project. Well, the arianite reacted strangely to the Beam. Just by being around it, just by letting the free-roaming waves get near it, that arianite began to emit power. And by placing it down near the Beam and retrieving a small chip of the other project material… well, we now have a little flicker of light hovering around the labs.”

“A what?”

At that moment, the door behind Solana (which had previously been closed) creaked open. Fedora Man watched in awe as a small diamond-shaped light hovered in to the room. It had a faint orange aura about it.

“That thing, sir,” said Solana bemusedly.

“I see it, Solana,” said Fedora Man in a similar tone. “And… and what has the good professor said about this?”

“Upon consultation after the incident, he said that it was perfectly normal and that he would be quite surprised if it didn’t appear. However, we seem to have come across a specimen different than what he has encountered in the past… he said that he had never heard of this small glowy friend being orange. Only green ones have been discovered. Of course, he also says this could be a side-effect of certain types being studied and others not, so…”

“What’s your point, Solana?”

“Our friend the professor has been dubious about giving out all of his information,” said Solana. “He never seemed to mention this previously, did you notice that? However, he seems to be a bigger help than we previously predicted. Should we remove him as you suggested?”

“No,” replied Fedora Man. “That won’t be necessary… Oh, by the way. How is the Mime Jr. doing?”

“She was perfectly healthy, so we sold her.”

“Good, good. To who, though?”

“A rare Pokémon dealer. A large amount of them had crowded around our city in order to partake in some sort of yearly street festival. He was interested in her due to her strange coloration, and offered up a hefty sum for such a shady character…” Solana grinned wickedly. Certainly a change from her previous blank expression, but it worked just as well in the given situation. “No need to worry about her, sir.”

“She went to a street festival? And… will she be sold again?”

“To some fortunate passerby of the stall? Of course she will. We can have someone make sure she is, if you’d like.” Solana leaned her head on one arm.

“Not necessary,” said Fedora Man, just realizing he had stood up and returned to his seat. He then continued the conversation as if nothing had happened, causing Solana’s eyebrows to rise and the grin to fall from her face. “Whatever she does with her reformed life isn’t ours to decide, is it? We’re done with her.”

“That’s true as well, sir.”

Fedora Man dusted himself off and stared at Solana as only Fedora Man could. “So is that all to report?”

“Yes, si—”

Fedora Man cut the connection there.

-

“Oh, so you brought friends, did you?” asked a laughing voice from the clearing ahead.

“Yep,” said Tiffany. She had drilled everyone in the group individually on the way there; she also failed to notice (or was that ignored?) Clyde, who had been moving back to the camp ahead of them and left a trail of ecological destruction in his wake. Having done this, she also took the trouble of introducing them all by name. “We found them running around in the forest, and since you were kind enough to carry supplies for the next three years, I figured we ought to invite them over for some lunch. Alright with you, Billy?”

“I’ve got no problem with it,” said the man sitting on a tree stump. He was similar to Clyde in some respects – about thirty, tall, white hair pointing in two opposite directions – but he was also thin as a stick, and the hair was much, much larger and less obliging to gravity. “Mr. Moody over there is a different story.” He snickered again and pointed to Clyde, who had taken up residence leaning against a tree.

Suddenly, there was a little gasp from Sheridan’s direction.

“I knew I recognized you… and then your names…” Sheridan put her hands on her hips and smirked in triumph. “Of course. You could be nobody else. Billy, Tiffany, Garret, and Clyde – the Go-Rock Quads!”

There was a silence.

“Well, at least the chick isn’t completely worthless,” grumbled Clyde. “She remembers us.”

Tiffany grinned. “You’re sharp, Sherry, you know that? I was waiting for someone to notice that! Good…” She paused mid-sentence when she caught the glare Sheridan was directing at her.

“Never. Call. Me. ‘Sherry’,” the woman growled. “Ever.”

“Um, alright,” said Tiffany, all jubilance gone from her voice. “You got it… um… yeah. Okay. No ‘Sherry’. Sure.”

“Thank you,” replied Sheridan, hostility lost from her tone but certainly not back to her previous triumphant self. The male members of the group stood in silence – none of them had ever considered calling her Sherry, even Rotom, and right now they were all very pleased with themselves that they didn’t. Billy didn’t seem to be fazed by this outburst, as he simply smiled knowingly and whipped out a large amount of food seemingly from thin air.

“Sorry about that, guys. Tiffany doesn’t take hints too smoothly, if you see what I mean.”

“Hmm?” Tiffany asked, turning to Billy. “I heard my name called…”

“Nothing, nothing,” the man mumbled, simply reaching out his hand and letting a multitude of foodstuffs fill them up as he did so. “Okay, sit down, I think we have everything we need… Clyde!” He raised his voice to be heard by his brother, who was now in the process of seeing how long he could stare at the forest before he got sick of it. However, upon prompting from the black-coat-donning man, he returned to standard walking position and slouched over.

“Finally,” he said out loud as he sat.

Everyone else took the hint, and Billy climbed down from his wooden perch to sit upon the ground with the rest of them.

There was a few minutes of silence broken only by frequent chomping, until finally Grant decided to bring up the subject a lot of them had been pondering up until that point. “So how did you start conjuring food out of thin air like that?”

Billy froze up for a second, but then relaxed again. “Oh! You were talking about that! Sorry, I didn’t quite get what you were thinking about for a minute. Anyway, have any of you guys heard of Hammerspace?”

Giratina chose the worst possible time to intervene. “Oooh, I’ve heard of it~” she sang softly through the Megaphone Rock. Casey gritted his teeth and ignored her.

Since nobody else could really answer that except with a shake of the head, Billy continued. “Oh, boy. I’ll need to explain it now, won’t I? Well, I don’t know if you know this, but there are different dimensions in the universe. Lots of them.” Minds temporarily switched to Caro, who fortunately did not feel all of the mental attention his case was getting. “One of them is typically called Hammerspace, because back when it was first discovered people used it to carry weapons around easily. Basically, what happens is you can store almost every item in the universe in your own specific part of Hammerspace, where you can later refer back to it and take out whatever you need.”

This news impressed all of them, and the sounds of devouring had all but stopped. Even Tiffany and Clyde had paused their meals in order to listen to (and potentially correct) Billy. “It takes years in order to manipulate Hammerspace somewhere close to well, and fortunately all… all of us have been doing that since we were kids, upon request of our parents. Recently people have come up with some strange ways to use Hammerspace with just some machinery, but they don’t work as well as if you’ve been training yourself and learned to Traverse – that’s the name of the art so it’s capitalized, person who does that is a Traverser – naturally. And that’s my lengthy speech on the art of Hammerspace manipulation.” Billy sat back and resumed eating. “Well?”

“He actually covered the basic points for once,” remarked Clyde.

“As if you could do much better, Clyde? I think he did a good job.” Tiffany hopped to the leaner brother’s defense.

“Hmph, sure,” replied the man in question with a shrug. “I thought he did a good job too, remember?”

“So…” said Billy, eager to divert the subject away from Clyde’s numerous sibling rivalries. “You guys are running the Holon gym circuit, huh?”

“That’s right,” said Casey. “I’m the one doing a lot of the collecting. These guys came along for their own reasons.”

“I see, I see.” Billy nodded. “The reason I ask is that we’ve actually been traveling around for our own reasons. Sheridan, you’ve noticed that there’s only three of us here, right?”

“I was wondering about that,” she confirmed.

“Right. That’s because Garret pretty much left with not much more than a note. It said something about how he was coming to Holon in order to pursue a profession that didn’t involve the rest of us, because he figured that we were doing okay as it was and he wanted to do it for a while. Never told us what it was he was chasing, though…” Billy’s smirking gaze turned to his brother. “Oh, and because he wanted to get away from Clyde, of course.”

The Go-Rock Quad in question harrumphed.

“And so now you’re trekking all over the region just to find him?” asked Grant, impressed. “That’s dedication to your family there.”

Tiffany and Billy basked in the good words in a perfectly-practiced fashion, while Clyde said nothing.

“Yes, we’ve been around,” said Tiffany after a few seconds of almost-rehearsed beaming. “Garret has no idea, of course, so when we do find him then he’ll be pleasantly surprised with our…”

However.”

Everyone looked around and finally realized the single word had come from Caro, who had been pretty much ignored up until now in the conversation. Evidently, he just didn’t have uch t say…

“Are you quite sure Garret wants all of you around?”

There was a lot of surprised blinking before Sheridan turned on him, glaring. “That was totally uncalled for!”

“Yes it was,” replied Caro icily, “but so was his disappearance, wasn’t it? I’m not saying this is definitely what happened, but frankly his explanations for going off on his own sounded a little vague. And since he also wanted to get away from Clyde, who clearly returned the viciousness in full…”

Despite the unorthodox and absurdly out-of-character way Caro was bringing them up, everyone agreed (in varying degrees) that maybe he had a couple of points there. But there was a lot of worried glancing between siblings, and finally Billy (as the most talkative and least temperamental of the group) nodded his head. “That’s all true, and you bring up a lot of good points. But even if Garret were trying to evade us on purpose, we ought to at least go out there in order to find out if he really did, right? And if he does then we can nod and go our separate ways. If not, we can see just what he’s been doing all these months.”

“I suppose so,” said Caro before he lapsed back into his cloud of silence. It certainly unnerved everyone else; how long was their normally borderline-hyperactive companion going to keep this up?

“That’s a good idea,” seconded Casey in considerably lighter spirits. “You ought to do that.”

“But first we need to find Garret, and we haven’t covered much ground,” pointed out Tiffany.

Billy smiled. “Exactly.” He then turned to the newcomers with an almost pleading expression on his face. “Guys, I hate to push this on you when we’ve only just met each other today, but I don’t know how many more opportunities like this one we’re going to actually get. So… would you mind taking one of us with you as you go through the region? You know, just to find Garret? When we do, we’ll leave you, I promise.”

This was met with more surprised silence, even from his siblings.

Eventually, though, Clyde decided to finally take notice of the conversation. “A-are you serious?”

“Completely,” said Billy. He sounded the part.

“Well, it’s a good idea and all, Billy, but…” Tiffany hesitated, and eventually her sentence faded into nothing. “I mean, that’s still a tall order, pulling us apart further…”

“Is it too tall for finding out what happened to Garret?” asked Billy, in a not quite accusing but mildly peeved tone of voice. “I don’t think so. Besides, we can talk to each other whenever we want, right?”

Tiffany nodded. She had been silenced.

Clyde didn’t object. This was perhaps because his face was doing all of the objecting for him; the glowering he was delivering to Billy was certainly not a glare to be trifled with. However, Billy apparently failed to realize that, as he took Clyde’s lack of response as an acceptance and smiled. “We’re all agreed on our side, guys. What do you think?”

“Casey should choose,” said Grant almost immediately. “It’s his journey, after all.”

The other two members of the Groupie Galaxy, and Rotom (previously cuddled up in Sheridan’s arms) squirmed free and had Beast nod his enthusiasm. “Yeah!” chirped the Pokémon. “Let someone come along, Casey! Pleeeeeeease?”

Casey realized with some concern that his Pokémon was acting like a little girl whose parents were contemplating letting her get a pet.

“Well,” he said, “as a person I’ve got no problems with one of you coming along, but there’s still the issue of funding to think about, right?”

“You think we’re going to join your troupe and not give you anything for it?” snorted Billy. “Casey, that’s not how we roll. …Anymore. In any case, though, no. We’ve got plenty of money we’re not going to use for the rest of our lives, so seriously, that’s not so big a deal anymore. Of course, Dad is still watching us, and trying to explain something to him would be like… well, reasoning with a sleep-deprived Primeape. So we can do what we can, which should probably fix all serious issues, but no over-spending to whoever ends up going with them. Got that, you two?”

“Right,” the other two said in unison.

“Okay then!” said Billy, getting up and standing on the tree stump. “Let’s do this!” He pumped his fist in the air, expecting to be met with a rallying mess of cheers.

Clyde just shifted his gaze towards Casey and mouthed ‘He does it all the time’.

See? It really is a name once heard and never forgotten! Or is that a motto once heard? Hmm. Well, anyway, as soon as you read the title all of you who played Ranger knew what was going to be coming up, right?

...Right?

Anyway, stay tuned for the next chapter. There will be a big ol' battle, I swear. >:3

figured out it was the go rock quads just before you mentioned it in the chapter. and has the ranger union gone evil or something? or is it just one of my screwy misinterpritations ( or missspelings, like that one) again?

Sinnohdragon

Dragoness~
Hurray! Go Rock Quads! :D They were so awesome in Ranger. It's nice to see some never used canon characters in a fanfic.

I'm interested in this 'light creature thing' which seems to have popped up at the Ranger Union.

Looking forward to the next chapter XD

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
Heh heh, right now there's going to be no further mention of the Ranger Union (past maybe Clyde's complaining), sorry. They're still fighting for the forces of good over in Almia and Fiore; this takes place
after the ending of Shadows of Almia, where the Go-Rock Quads broke away from their father/boss and became an honest-to-goodness musical group.
Now, in Holon, Garret mysteriously disappeared and the rest of the group put their rock-staritude on hold to go look for him. Though... where did you get the corrupted Ranger Union idea? Just because the Quads were placed in there as heroes? XD Fedora Man and his groupies have nothing to do with the Union, I promise.

shadows of Almia is fighting Team Dim Sun. it was the original pokemon ranger where The Go rock Quads break away from their father. (belive me, i finished both) and i got the idea from the fact that Fedora Man's underling is called Solana. (same as the female character in P.R.)

Last edited:

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
I know what happened to Team Dim Sun and the Go-Rock Quads; I have finished both games too. Fedora Man's Solana and the Ranger Union's Solana are two different people. (Also, I don't mean to be rude, but why would a Pokémon Ranger, who wrote no less than eight lengthy letters praising the Rangers and emphasizing how important justice was even before she became a Ranger, suddenly hop into an organization that's very obviously evil and doing some pretty horrible things to Pokémon?)

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
I hate writing battles. I hate writing battles. ...Did I mention that I hate writing battles? XD

{19} defeat means unity, not friendship

There had been a private discussion between the three remaining Go-Rock Quads over who was to be going with Casey and company on the rest of their trek. While the four not in on the action loitered around the campsite, they had all scurried into a large (and surprisingly soundproof) tent in order to determine the victim.

Judging from the loud moaning now spilling from that very tent, everyone realized it was going to be Clyde.

This was confirmed when, a few minutes later, the same man climbed out of the tent with a very sour expression on his face. He retained the same frown as he stormed up to Casey.

“Okay, kid,” he said. “Here’s how it’s going to go down. I don’t enjoy traveling with a swarm of weaklings, alright? So as the leader of the group, you’re gonna pit all of your Pokémon against all of mine. If you beat me, I’ll come along on your stupid journey with you or whatever. If you lose, we forget all of this even happened.”

“And there’s no way to convince you otherwise? Or get the others to go?” he asked.

“If Billy’s got his mind set on something it’s pretty much final.” He put his hands on his hips. “Deal?”

“I suppose so… yeah. Deal.”

“Good. We’re pretty close to the edge of the woods now, so maybe one of your Pokémon Center things might have an open battlefield out back..”

As the group turned as one and began trekking towards the edge of the forest – with Billy leading the procession, naturally – Tiffany drifted towards the back of the group and tapped Casey on the shoulder. “Hey. Um, I need to tell you a few things about Clyde, okay? It’s just so that nothing, um, especially crazy happens when you’re around him. He’s sort of…um, weird with his quirks and stuff.”

Casey looked up. He was initially quite surprised to see a good-looking woman spouting the word ‘um’ a mile a minute almost directly in his face, but after a second cleared his head and confirmed her intention. “Okay. What about him?”

“Well, there’s actually only two things I need to warn you about, but, um, they’re pretty serious.” Casey nodded as a signal for her to continue. “Okay. Um, first thing is, I just needed to tell you, that he really, um, really hates Garret. So if you do find him you’ve got to, um, remind Clyde that he needs to get in touch with us. He has our Pokégear numbers, so, um, that shouldn’t be too hard.”

“Okay,” said Casey. “We can do that.”

“But, but, um,” continued Tiffany. “That’s, um, not all, and that’s like the least serious, okay? So, um, the next most serious is that he’s kind of…” She looked up and made sure Clyde was out of earshot before leaning even closer (unnerving Casey even further in the process) and whispering, “…um, he’s kind of lazy.”

Casey was about to shout out the last word in surprise, but only the ‘L’ got out before Tiffany quickly slapped her hand over his mouth with a small squeak. Clyde turned around and shot them both a hostile glare, but a second later he had returned to what he was doing and continued to walk forward while looking at the ground.

“That connects with the last thing, um, see,” said Tiffany, now visibly unnerved. “He… um… try not to let him hear, you know, that word. And never, ever, EVER call him that.”

“Why? What happens then?”

“Um…” Tiffany looked away. “Omigawd (um), you really don’t want to know, but (um) if you do he’s definitely not going to be in your good books, and (um) he doesn’t react well to being called (um) the L word. I mean it. It’s like… it’s like… oh, what’s that literary thingy that people (um) give book characters when they… um… oh yeah. It’s like his berserk button. It’s bad. Seriously (um) bad. Okay. So don’t call him that.”

Still struggling to make sense of her detached speech, Casey said, “Um… okay.”

Clyde’s prediction had been correct – when they arrived back at Fort Rhion’s Pokémon Center, the Joy cheerfully informed them that a battlefield had just been vacated and that they could enter right away.

Casey bowed his head respectfully and said, “Thank you.”

Clyde grunted his acceptance.

The Joy was not at all unfazed by these two very different competitors; after all, there were a lot of adults who still held the mindset that their age automatically puts them over younger Trainers. She didn’t ask to watch the match; that would be invasion of privacy, and she had Pokémon to attend to anyway. However, she made a mental note to find out how it ended when they left. Despite the friend-to-all-living-things outlook universal to all Joys worth their salt, watching someone get their just desserts was also a sport she didn’t mind.

Grant was nominated to be the referee, and he stepped into the field in the appropriate position. “The battle between Clyde Gordon of Wintown and Casey Blair of Calda City will now begin. Trainers, send out your first Pokémon.” He took a few steps backward as both of them flung Pokéballs high into the air. Casey didn’t look particularly pleased with having to fight who he (sort of) hoped to be his new traveling companion, but Clyde betrayed no facial expression beside that of utmost boredom.

Unsurprisingly, Clyde released his Slakoth first. He didn’t bother to initiate any flashy “Pokémon GO!” sequences, but simply took the Pokéball out of its previous residence – his large pocket – and said “Slakoth” while tossing the Pokéball to the ground.

The Pokémon gave a little grunt and pulled itself up onto a four-legged position, almost like a dog.

Casey, on the other hand, released a Pokémon none of his traveling companions had remembered he had – a small blue Pokémon with a wide tail and a giant white circle on its stomach, with a black swirling line in the middle of that. It had two small legs, but no arms, and little beady eyes.

“Poli-wag!” chirped the Water-type in question.

Clyde gave a little smirk. “Oh, come on. You’re gonna give me that little blob to fight against? Your funeral, I guess… Slakoth, use Yawn!”

The Pokémon almost immediately opened its mouth and took a huge intake of air, making its small body quiver – and making Poliwag quiver, too. The Pokémon staggered back a bit, but Casey (who could only see the back of its body) didn’t quite realize that the Pokémon’s eyelids were quickly getting heavier. It was for this reason that he continued to act as if nothing was wrong – and, of course, nobody wanted to yell out the effects of Yawn. (If they did, Tiffany and Billy would definitely shush them.)

“Use Water Gun!” This time, Casey had taken the trouble to learn his Pokémon’s attacks beforehand so as not to set up another Larvitar incident.

The Tadpole Pokémon gave a small “wag” of acceptance and took another deep breath, this time returning Slakoth’s favor by delivering a steady jet of water directly into his face. The Normal-type gurgled and flailed, falling over in the process, but eventually he dragged himself to another canine position. He did this, apparently, exclusively for the pleasure of watching Poliwag collapse and begin to take very slow breaths. At that point, the reality of Yawn dawned upon Casey.

He scowled. “Oh… Poliwag’s asleep, isn’t she?”

“Yep,” replied Clyde with a smug smile. “I did tell you my Pokémon is capable of beating yours into next week, right?”

“Yeah, maybe if it bothers to,” remarked the young man, pointing to Slakoth. He had flopped down from his sitting position until he was laying belly-down on the floor, watching the antics with its head over its outstretched, fuzzy arms.

“Oh, that,” said Clyde nonchalantly. “Sure, whatever. It’ll respond eventually. Slakoth, whenever you’re done loafing, use Scratch.”

A few seconds passed as Slakoth scratched itself behind the ear and Poliwag snoozed on, but soon enough the Normal-type returned to puppy position. Almost immediately he began scampering across the dirt-covered field at a speed very unnatural for a Pokémon of his physical determination, and eventually skidded to a halt before Poliwag – sending a spray of dirt into the sleeping Pokémon’s face. She merely moaned, as if her mother was waking her up from a particularly nice sleep, and rolled over. Slakoth found much enjoyment in this, and promptly began raking the snoozing Poliwag with its claws. The Pokémon twitched and winced in its sleep, but failed to wake up.

Seeing that the Poliwag had responded, Slakoth gave a sound of satisfaction and plodded to its proper place, where it laid itself down again to watch. Yet again, Poliwag simply snoozed on.

Casey was beginning to get fed up with this. “Poliwag!” he yelled to the Pokémon in question. “It’s been four turns, and he’s only attacked you for one! This could be easy if we keep ourselves away from that Yawn!”

Much to his surprise, the Pokémon stirred. Poliwag soon pushed herself to her feet, looking around and blinking. “Poli…?”

“Good morning, sunshine,” grunted Clyde, staring down the small yellow Pokémon. “Slakoth, she looks a little tired, doesn’t she?”

“Slaaaaah.”

“Mhm, yeah, I thought so too. You know, I heard Toxic does wonders for groggy minds… Slakoth, be a gentleman. Help her out.”

“Slaaah.” Slakoth was considerably more pleased with this attack; all that moving and arm-flailing really got tedious. He simply hunkered down on the ground and opened his mouth, letting a rather unsanitary-looking black smoke pour out of its open jaw and zoom towards Poliwag. Before her Trainer could even make a command for her to get out of the line of fire, she began coughing – and breathing in the smoke. Somehow sensing its objective had been completed, the rest of the smog lowered to the ground and eventually disappeared.

When Poliwag breathed, a few purple bubbles spilled out of her mouth and she began another coughing fit.

“Oh, that’s not good,” said Sheridan, cringing. “If Poliwag is coughing all the time…”

“…She might not be able to move as well,” finished Grant bemusedly. “Yeah.”

Casey, by now, saw that something was going very wrong in his battle so far. What had Tiffany said? That Clyde was hopelessly lazy? Unless someone else had trained his Pokémon for him and drilled all of the strategies into his head mercilessly, right now he didn’t seem to fit the description – the strategies seemed perfectly legitimate (and perfectly useful), and he even went so far as to make degrading comments in the middle of the match.

Poliwag continued to wheeze bubbles. Slakoth shuffled around to find a comfortable position, and simply watched her from there, content with lying in the sunshine in the middle of battle.

Casey put his hands on his hips and thought. If he had Poliwag use Water Gun or Bubblebeam, what would happen to the poison erupting out of her mouth in a bubbly mess? Would it screw up her summoning of water and make the Pokémon choke, or would it mingle in with her Water attacks and make some sort of hybrid Water-Poison attack? As Casey pondered the possible after-effects of using another Water move, Clyde’s eyebrows furrowed.

Then he frowned.

Then he shifted his weight.

Then he crossed his arms.

Then he said, “Slakoth, use Scratch.”

Slakoth obliged with another “Skaaaaa” and began plodding towards Poliwag again at a rather leisurely pace, taking his sweet time to make a move. He had actually gone ahead and raked Poliwag’s swirl-shaped gut again before Casey came to a decision.

“Poliwag, Water Gun.”

Poliwag opened its mouth to unleash another small flood of water upon Slakoth, and just as Casey had (sort of) predicted, along came lots of tiny purple droplets with it.

Now, water doesn’t cause any pain when it comes in contact with eyes of any variety, including the eyes of Pokémon. Usually all it does is get in the way and make the victim blink a lot, and complain about itchiness and maybe even a little bit of swelling. All in all, nothing too serious.

Unfortunately, though, the same could not be said for poison.

Slakoth backed off, paws over its eyes, and began bawling like a little child. The loud noise caused Poliwag to whimper, but she eventually got over it and stared down the Pokémon.

Slakoth staggered to a halt in his crying, dropped to all four paws, and eventually collapsed. Clyde sighed and returned his Pokémon, pocketing the red-and-white Pokéball like the failure of his Pokémon to defeat the other had simply been a bother to him. He went to reach for another one when, much to all spectators’ surprise (this includes the Trainers in the fight), Poliwag took a giant gasp of air and fainted on the spot.

“Poison got to her,” said Casey, biting his lip. “Well… good job, Poliwag.” Casey tried to ignore how strange that sentence felt coming out of his mouth.

“Poliwag is unable to battle,” said Grant in an uncharacteristically firm voice. “On the other hand, so has Slakoth. That leaves the match in a draw! Trainers, send out your next Pokémon.”

Both Trainers had recalled their fallen Pokémon, and neither one of them wanted to be the first to follow Grant’s instructions.

“Come on,” said Clyde impatiently. “Pick someone.”

Casey paused for a second before responding: “Not before you do.”

“Look, I know who I’m gonna use, alright? So just send out your stupid Pokémon and let’s get this over with.”

“Fine by me.” Casey turned to Rotom, who was hovering next to him and beaming like a crazy person, and gave him a look that implied, ‘Get out here’. Rotom understood his expression and floated out onto the field without a word, having Beast rear up and roar ferociously. (Unfortunately, Beast could only make the movements and so Rotom had to do the roaring. It ended up coming out as “Rrooooooooooooorawr!”, only serving to make Clyde snicker.)

When the man realized that Casey was actually serious about sending out Rotom, he rolled his eyes and released another Pokémon. It was somewhat like Slakoth, but stood on two legs and bore white fur. The most important difference, though, was that it was quickly hopping from foot to foot as if it was preparing to fight even then.

“Meet Vigoroth,” said Clyde with a wave of his hand. “I think you’ll find him much, much worse.”

Vigoroth shot his opponent a toothy grin.

“I’d be right in assuming he’s not—” Casey stopped himself halfway through the sentence, remembering Clyde’s mysterious but distinctly bad reaction to the word ‘lazy’. “...assuming he’s not going to lie around so much in the middle of the fight, right?”

“Yes you would,” said Clyde. “Brick Break!”

Vigoroth immediately dived for Rotom, bearing a speed none of the opposition had expected, and promptly began a barrage of punches. Rotom was squealing in pain almost immediately, but Vigoroth paid it no mind and only hopped away after Rotom had been slammed once with each fist. He had hardly returned to his battling position when Casey’s command made itself present:

“Thundershock!”

Rotom gave a little grin and let Beast perform another of his mute roars before charging up a considerable amount of electrical energy. Once that had been accomplished, Beast’s jaws opened and fired the stream of electricity directly at Vigoroth. The Pokémon in question gave a booming laugh and promptly leaped out of the way, landing on all fours and quickly returning to a two-footed stance.

A few of the onlookers bit their lips, Go-Rock Quad or not.

“And again.” Vigoroth leaped in again, dropping to all fours in order to scramble towards Rotom but quickly springing up into the air. This time around, he could only get in one punch before the Wild Monkey Pokémon received a faceful of Beast and sprang back in surprise. While it wasn’t exactly an Astonish attack, the toothy and glowing jaw of a not-quite-canine head was certainly good at making the Pokémon retreat.

Vigoroth hopped back to its position with a yowl – and then another yowl. For, you see, Vigoroth had just realized that he was being surrounded by glowing balls of electricity, sending thin streams of the same sort of energy between them. The wads of energy then proceeded to get slowly closer to him. The Pokémon looked around for help and then jumped up in the air, finding no other way to avoid the Thunder Wave. However, that too was in vain; the fence of electricity moved with him and eventually consumed the Pokémon, leaving jolts of electricity to flicker across the wild fur and its owner to moan in pain.

Vigoroth got over it quickly, though. Upon its Trainer’s request, the Wild Monkey Pokémon screeched and hopped towards Rotom again – it was running on three legs, with the fourth held high in the air. Truth be told, the entire thing looked pretty strange until you took into account the fact that Vigoroth was using Fury Swipes and brought that high-held claw down on Rotom’s body with a roar of triumph.

Rotom smiled widely as the claw passed right through him.

“What the…” Clyde spluttered. “What on Earth did you do?”

Casey shrugged. “I don’t know.”

Clyde scowled at his opponent’s lack of knowledge, while Sheridan had descended into a giggle fit. She could be vaguely heard gasping the word “Immunities!” between bouts of laughter.

Clyde rolled his eyes and said, “Whatever. Vigoroth, just use… just use Brick Break or something.”

His Pokémon didn’t attack, but instead turned around and gave his Trainer a look that practically screamed “I am very disappointed in you”. Of course, this unexpected act of humanity in a Pokémon character was promptly cut short from another Thundershock, courtesy of Rotom.

Vigoroth swiveled back around and immediately bounded in for more Fury Swipes, but this time Rotom simply giggled and levitated out of the way. The white Pokémon was now at the stage where it would be snorting steam out of its nostrils – Vigoroth was just that angry. And it showed as the Pokémon began jumping up and down, screeching angrily and shaking its fists up at the floating form of Rotom. (Caro scowled.)

Rotom seemed insistent on staying up there, so Clyde rolled his eyes. “Your idiot Pokémon just made this an awful lot harder,” he told Casey with the tone of someone completely missing the point of a Pokémon battle. Which he was. “Vigoroth, use Uproar!”

Vigoroth immediately set to work carrying out its Trainer’s command, doing so by stomping its feet and waving its arms in a sporadic little dance and screaming like a maniac. Casey took a step back, covering his ears. ‘How on Earth is that… that noise an actual move?!?’

Regardless of how Uproar got into the ranks of Pokémon moves, Vigoroth used it, and with a yell Rotom’s presence up in the air faltered. Casey could see that Rotom wouldn’t stay up there much longer, despite the fact that he had managed to keep himself levitating up until this point, and decided to make good use of the opportunity while it presented itself. “Rotom, use Thundersho—”

“VIGAAAAAAA! VIGAAAAAARAAAAAAROOOOOOOOOOOOTH! VIGARAAAAAHRARRRRRARRRRRARRRRRR~!”

Sheridan blinked and said, “Oh dear.”

Before Rotom could make a movement, Vigoroth continued on its one-man rampage on everyone else’s eardrums. With the combined pressure of charging a Thunderbolt and trying to ignore Vigoroth’s Jigglypuff impersonation (though it wasn’t doing any damage, Rotom could still hear it), the Ghost-type simply stopped floating. Casey realized exactly what would happen to Rotom’s metal coating were it to hit the ground at its current speed, and shoved his hand in the side pocket of his backpack in a frantic search for Rotom’s Pokéball.

He realized exactly where Rotom’s Pokéball was as the creature hit the ground with a stomach-lurching crunch.

The red glow surrounding Rotom dimmed until it was barely visible, and Beast was sucked back into the core.

“Oh,” said Casey. “Um… should I carry him?”

“Return him to his Pokéball, stupid.”

“I can’t do that!” retorted Casey, clenching his fists and very much wishing he hadn’t gotten into this battle with Clyde at all. “His Pokéball…” The boy suddenly realized that there was no easy way for him to explain just what caused Rotom to turn into its current form, and he simply settled with an immensely pathetic “…can’t actually be used right now.”

Clyde rolled his eyes. “Well, toss him up in the air for all I care. If you were stupid enough to make his Pokéball malfunction, then there’s—”

“Be quiet, will you?” snapped Casey as he trudged onto the battlefield, scooping up Rotom. “I didn’t do anything to Rotom’s Pokéball. If you had noticed the shape it’s been taking this entire time then maybe you would have bothered to…”

Trainers!

Grant stopped the argument with great speed. Neither of them were actually aware his voice was even capable of reaching this level of intensity.

Clyde put his hands in his pockets. “Whatever.”

Casey shot him a warning look and then sent out yet another Pokémon, this one being the small green dragon known to many as Larvitar. His Trainer wasted no time in commanding the Pokémon to use Rock Slide, for which it happily obliged. The Pokémon put its claws to the ground, ripping out two disproportionately large boulders in each hand, and flung them at Vigoroth.

Unfortunately, Vigoroth was in the middle of running towards Larvitar with Fury Swipes at the time, and failed to notice. For that reason, the already severely winded Vigoroth got a faceful of boulder.

It dropped on the spot.

There were a few beats of silence, then…

“Vigoroth is unable to battle! Clyde, do you have another Pokémon?”

The man shook his head numbly.

“In that case, victory goes to Casey.” He gestured towards the young man with his hand. “The match is over, and due to the bargain set at the beginning of the match, Clyde now has to come along with us.” He walked out of the battlefield and took the long way around, eventually passing the others (who were sitting on benches constructed to hold onlookers) and stopping to stand behind them. “My work here is done.”

Clyde mumbled a few words that would make Honchkrow blush and returned his Pokémon.

what happened to Clyde's Slaking? or did he leave it behind?
(as a side note, i only said about the different games as you said about them leaving their father at the end of Shadows. it might be just after the concert they gave for Altru's birthday, but you put it like they only just left their dad)

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
Clyde's Pokémon are no longer under the command of his ashiko drum Styler; he managed to re-capture Slakoth and Vigoroth, but Slakoth was simply too strong. The others retained all of their Pokémon. And yes, this happened after the concert in Altru Park, because back then Garret was still with them. This story takes place pretty soon after that (which I estimate happened a few months after the first Ranger, though I could be wrong), but the Quads are used to referring to their father in a very casual manner. After all, he never really acted particularly fatherly...

Sinnohdragon

Dragoness~
Come on, that battle wasn't that bad. Actually it was pretty funny with all the 'face full of beast' and similar lols :p

The only thing that bothers me is the strict turn based battling style. It makes it seem less realistic because in reality they could attack more rather than waiting for the opponent. Although i understand it could be easier to write following game mechanics ect. I guess its all down to style and personal preference ^^

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
The only thing that bothers me is the strict turn based battling style. It makes it seem less realistic because in reality they could attack more rather than waiting for the opponent. Although i understand it could be easier to write following game mechanics ect. I guess its all down to style and personal preference ^^

If I was trying to be realistic Clyde would have told his Pokémon to keep using Brick Break over and over and over and over and over and over and over until all of Casey's Pokémon fell, with the victim not being able to move because it was being hit constantly. And we all know that that would just be silly, but since it was supposed to be a realistic match you could technically tell your Pokémon to do that. There's a reason that the turn-based mechanics were introduced, and since Pokémon usually need to take orders from their Trainers, there's not much you can do. But thank you for the comment. :3

Last edited:
but isn't Rotom immune to fighting attacks as well as normal attacks? and wouldent Billy's Tyranitar or Garret's Scizor be stronger than Slaking?

Last edited:

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
@Scizor: I had checked the whole thing up on Marriland yesterday and I believe it had said Fighting-type moves did normal damage, but I just checked Serebii and you're right on that count. Giving Vigoroth all those TM moves was a stretch by itself, though, and frankly Vigoroth doesn't have the most diversified movepool on Earth, so... yeah. Also, yes, both Tyranitar and Scizor are stronger than Vigoroth, but Clyde was the one chosen to fight and Garret is... you know... missing.

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
{20} i am a passerby
(Finally!)

Night had come, and the traveling party (now upped to five) had found themselves struggling to sleep. As a group, though, their minds were all on very different things.

Clyde, whose eyes typically closed the moment he touched the bedsheets, was staring at the small fragments of moonlight coming in from the Pokémon Center window. Sheridan was sitting up in bed, holding a discussion with a very mysterious Mime Jr. with a yellow headdress. This Mime Jr., amazingly, was holding up her end of the conversation in perfectly legible English; there was lots of squealing. Casey was trying to take every possible viewpoint on what torment the looming Gym battle would hand him. Caro was lying in bed silently; he seemed to have recovered from the uncomfortable resurfacing of water under the bridge that had occurred a few days ago, and his thoughts were now on that funny briefcase Grant did a great job of losing. The ex-Grunt himself was the only one even close to falling asleep.

His dreams were fitful.

Black.

…Really. All there is around me is black. I must be dreaming.

This is a dream, right? I am able to watch all of this going on, and I’m also able to see that yes, this IS black all around me, but I don’t know anything else. Nothing is moving – I feel detached. So it must be…

Wait.

What’s that?

In the center there?

I see something.

It’s… fading in, and floating. Like a ghost. It’s small and grayish-blue, with oversized eyes and dangling arms. There’s a wispy thing coming off of its head, like a Drifloon’s cloud. And then… attached to its tail… is that… a lock?

Yes. A lock. There’s a padlock attached to the ghost’s ringed tail. That’s… a little strange.

And ah, hold on. It’s multiplying. The same lock-tailed ghost monster is appearing in all sorts of different places, quickly filling up and blotting out any traces of black that had been left behind. The things were also giving off a convenient soft glowing, meaning that I could no longer see anything except floating ghosts and lights. Eventually, one of them – the first one to appear – stepped forward. When its mouth opened, so did all the other mouths, and they spoke as one.

(I noticed with a jolt that the area inside their mouths was pitch black.)

“WE ARE THE KARMADA.”

The tone was deafening, frankly – so many things speaking at once, even though their voices were relatively low, accumulated and rose to a freakishly loud pitch.

“Um, hi.” I realized a second later that it was an utterly stupid thing to say to this bunch of floating lightbulbs, but there was really no choice in the matter. After all, dreams cannot be controlled very easily. The Karmada didn’t seem to take too badly to this response, for there was no cacophony of screaming a few seconds after that. There was only the voices’ chanting.

“WE ARE INSIDE YOUR MIND.”

“Okay.”

Well, what else was there to say?

“WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING.”

“And what are you looking for?”

“…SOMETHING.”

“Oh. I don’t mean to be rude, but you’re all sort of creeping me out, so if there’s anything I can help you with…”

“OH, NO, YOUR ASSISTANCE IS NOT REQUIRED.”

“So why are you here?” These Karmada were a handful to follow, even if they weren’t speaking strangely.

“WE SIMPLY WANTED TO INFORM YOU. THERE MAY BE… SIDE EFFECTS.”

“What kind of side effects?”

“WE DON’T KNOW. BUT THERE WILL BE SOME.”

“Alright… um, thank you for letting me know.”

“OUR PLEASURE.”

I looked around, seeing only the eyes boring back into my head. “So… why are you inside my mind, then?”

“WE WERE TOLD TO,” said the Karmada matter-of-factly.

“By who?”

“WE CAN’T TELL YOU THAT.”

“Has the person forbidden you from telling me?”

“NO,” replied the Karmada. “WE REALLY DON’T KNOW WHO TOLD US TO DO IT.”

“But someone did?”

“YES. GOODBYE FOR NOW, GRANT STERNBERG. YOU ARE NEVER WITHOUT US. AS WE ARE NEVER WITHOUT YOU. UNTIL WE FIND WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR, THIS PRINCIPLE WILL HOLD TRUE.”

Then I woke up.

Everyone stared in surprise as, the next morning, Sheridan stepped out of her room with a tiny pink Pokémon curled in her arms. (Grant, especially, seemed startled by this – though he calmed down quickly once he got a better look.) It had a giant red nose and a similarly-colored dot on its stomach, as well as a fuzzy mess of fur that seemed to curl out like a skirt near the Pokémon’s feet. Indeed, if its head had a blue swirly thing on top of it, it would have been a Mime Jr.

Instead, the swirly thing was yellow.

“Guys,” said Sheridan happily, “this is Saffron. She’s my sister.”

Due to the fact that it was really quite early in the morning, everyone’s reaction time was a little delayed, but they all eventually heard what she had said and looked between human and Pokémon in utter confusion.

“Oh, pleeease,” sniffed Saffron. “Don’t look at me like that!”

Except for Caro, who was one of the people not quite used to waking up early and therefore was unable to realize what the Mime Jr. had just said, everyone’s expressions got even more confused. There was a general cacophony that ensued, before Sheridan (with the glaring help of a few young Trainers from the next room) was able to silence everyone.

“Come on, you guys,” she said after they had quieted. “I can explain, I promise. And I’ll do it – but outside.” There was a moan of acceptance as everyone – still in their half-awake states – turned around and went down the stairs, Sheridan and Saffron jabbering in their wake.

“So let me get this straight,” said Casey dubiously after the two had concluded their tale. “This Mime Jr. used to be human, and she’s your sister. Then somebody kidnapped her and knocked her out, and when she woke up she was a little pink Pokémon? And then she got sold to someone who apparently owned one of those festival stalls, where she got sold back to Sheridan?”

“You say that like you don’t believe me,” pouted Saffron.

“No,” he said. “I don’t know if I believe you. But it sure is a lucky coincidence.”

“That still doesn’t explain why she can talk,” pointed out Grant.

Caro raised his hand; he, as one of the few members of the group who had experience in switching bodies, stepped in. “You remember why I can talk to Pokémon? ‘Cause I was a Raichu. And Mime Juniors must have pretty similar vocal capabilities to humans or something, because she remembered how to speak English, and now lo and behold she’s a little Pokémon and still doing it!”

Clyde just watched, utterly confused.

“There’s… a box.”

Casey had finally gotten around to insisting to everyone else that yes, he did need – but not necessarily want, of course – to get this Gym Badge, and they were right now standing inside the first room of the Rhoter Gym. Indeed, attached to the wall fuse-box style was a metal box with a few wires and metal rods inside it, and on top of that box was a pair of rubber gloves. The rods were attached to the wall in various positions on the right-hand side, whereas the wires came out on corresponding places on the left.

“What are we supposed to do with this?” asked Clyde.

“I guess we have to… um…” Casey stared from the metal box to the rather secure-looking sliding door next to it. “Well, I don’t know. But I think it might have something to do with moving on.”

“Yeah, like there’s a current coming from here…” Caro pointed to the left side of the fuse box. “…and if we can connect it right then the current would go along here…” He moved his arm in time with the movements, eventually stopping at the door. “…then it might trigger something over here!”

There was silence for a few heartbeats.

“That’s actually not a bad idea,” noted Sheridan.

Casey pulled off his own gloves and donned the silly-looking, but quite protective, rubber ones. “Since we have no other leads, I think that’s the best we can do.” With that, he picked up one of the wires carefully and pinched the metal tongs on the end of it, attaching the wire to the metal rod directly opposite it. After he had done this three times in total, everyone turned to watch the door.

There was a buzzer sound – ‘Wrong’.

“Doesn’t look like it helped,” observed Clyde intelligently.

“Hold on a minute…” Caro applied force to Casey’s shoulder, effectively making him stumble out of the way. “So what’s the point of this big black X scribbled onto the yellow wire?” He reached out towards the wire in question and unclasped it.

Casey found his balance again and reached for the yellow wire. “Let me see.”

“No, no!” replied Caro. “I almost got it.” He kneeled down so that he could stare into the box better, and finally reached one arm in. “If I’m right, then there’s got to be another wire in this box to connect. Because the X stands for something to be left out, right?”

“It could mean that it’s the only one to be left in,” offered Sheridan dubiously. “Or it could mean that it needs to be…”

“Shush!”

Sheridan blinked as Caro peered into the box, reached in, and made a triumphant ‘Aha!’ as he apparently found something. Caro stood up and slowly brought his arm back into the light room, away from the inky darkness of the back of the box. He had something in his hand, and everyone craned their necks or peered closer at it.

It was a wire, longer than the others, curled up at the back. And it was…

“But that wire is black!” protested Casey. “That’s a dirty trick…”

Indeed, it was a black wire. It had been coiled up tightly, tied together, and shoved unceremoniously in the darkest part of the metal box. It was obviously designed to blend in perfectly with the box’s walls due to a lack of light. Caro plugged the sneaky wire into the port where the yellow wire had just been, and with a pleasant chirping noise the door promptly opened.

“Yes, well,” said Sheridan. “I guess the Gym Leader likes dirty tricks now. Back when I came through it was just an easy maze. As a matter of fact…”

Sheridan then realized that she was alone, and scrambled through the door.

Casey stopped cold in the next room, and everyone else followed suit.

Because, right in the center of the room, was what could only be described as a scrap-metal throne. It had obviously been formed into the very rough shape of a chair from other metals of various kinds, and sitting atop it (in what must be the most uncomfortable seat ever) was who could only be the Gym Leader. He had his blue beanie cap pulled far over his face, sending his eyes into perpetual shadow.

“Hey.” He jumped down from the junkheap and onto the ground with remarkable ease, letting his orange jacket flap around as he did so. Everyone watched him move with varying amounts of interest (save for Sheridan, who seemed to be looking at him curiously). “Y’here for a Gym match?”

“Yes.” Casey’s tone did not betray his unease.

“Oh, ‘kay.” Casey took a breath of relief, happy that he was going to get this done with at last, but it died in his throat at the man’s next words: “Then you’d better be coming back, like… next week or sumthin’.”

“Next week?” he muttered. “No way! I can’t stay here any longer… we’ve been too distracted as it is.” He raised his voice so that the Gym Leader could hear the next question: “What’s so bad that you’ve got to stop taking challenges anyway?”

“Oh, well.” He sighed. “M’dudes ran away.”

“All of them?” asked Grant.

“No, just one, but he’s my main dude, and my other dudes aren’t really all that strong. And the PIA would have my head if they found out that my main Pokémon is lost somewhere in the city – and they hate all of us Holon Leaders’ guts anyway – so I’ve been trying to find him.”

“You didn’t look like you were looking for your Pokémon,” grumbled Clyde.

“So, until I find my dude, I can’t just let you slide past by beating my other dudes, so…” he paused for a moment, apparently deep in thought. “Oh! Wait a minute, man! I got an idea that can work out for both of us!” He shot a crooked, admittedly sleazy-looking grin at Casey. “See, you’re here for a Gym Badge fast, aren’t you? And I’m down a dude, and really not in the mood for a battle right now. So if you can go out and find and defeat my dude, then I can come over to wherever you are and give you a Gym Badge because we can say it was… um, a one on one battle or something. Except, you know, all of my other Pokémon happened to have fainted and stuff.”

Casey’s head whirled just trying to get past his lingo, much less understand what the man was saying. Finally, he had sorted it all out in his brain, and as usual he had a question.

“How will you know where I am?”

“Y’have a JAWS, right?”

“Yeah.” Casey took it out of his backpack and held it up. “What about it?”

“It’s just like a PokéGear, man. You can use it like any old cell phone, as long as you got the other guy’s number. Here, lemme see it.” Stathis held out his hand expectantly, obviously wanting to take the machine. Casey handed it over slowly and dubiously, and watched in confusion as he almost immediately started poking around on the interface. After a few minutes in which the only sounds was the Gym Leader’s button-mashing, Casey was holding his JAWS once again and blinking confusedly down at the screen. The considerably taller redhead slid over to peer over his shoulder, pointing to prove a point.

“See, dude? You just gotta press this button here on the main screen and then select my name with the center button – that’s Stathis, duh, I’m the only one on there – and then y’hold it up to your ear like any old cell phone.” He stood back. “Cool, huh?”

“Oh,” he replied. “Um… thanks. Guys, I guess we should be going no—”

“Excuse me for interrupting,” said Sheridan with a bemused tone, “but I have a question.”

“You do? ‘Kay. Shoot, babe.”

Sheridan scowled at the way Stathis had referenced her, but made no mention of it and instead made a much more sensible response. “What species is this Pokémon of yours?”

Stathis faltered. “Oh.” He took a slouching position, mouth set into a thoughtful frown. “You know, that’s a good question. I don’t actually know. But it’s a Pokémon, you know, with four legs. Mostly red fur, like its whole body is red, you know, but over that there’s lots of yellow fur all over it too.”

‘That’s helpful,’ thought Casey miserably as the group nodded, gave a few mumbled comments to Stathis, and set out through the wire-infused maze. They soon arrived outside and began looking for Stathis’ missing Pokémon at once, the mid-day sun beating on their backs.

DS+ (I really need to do something with this part past character profiles): character profile #8, character profile #9

Also, if anyone wants to be added to the PM list, give me a holler.

ummm.... Is the " electrium " that just so happens to be in his profile his "main Dude"?
*hollers* AND I WANT TO BE ON THE PM LIST TOO!
(well, you did say to holler. and i thought that Caro was a Pikachu, not a Raichu.)

Last edited:

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
Caro was born a Pikachu, but between the prologue and first chapter of his debut fic - Metal Coat - he had evolved into a Raichu. :3 And yes, Electrium is Stathis' 'main dude'.
O-kay! PM list time!

so is "metal coat" the other fiction that you have written that is too rubbish to put up here?

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
Yep, that fic is Metal Coat. If you really want to read it you can go hunt it down on PokéCom or Fanfiction.net, but there is a rewrite in the works, so... |D

Sinnohdragon

Dragoness~
PM Listirize please! :D

The Karmarda are weird... and quire funny too. They remind me of the Ood from Doctor Who XD

Are we going to get any more in depth explanations for Saffron? Because that was quite random and sudden an you made me confused.

Love how the gymleader talks though XD

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
List'd! :3

I must say I've never seen a single episode of Doctor Who, so the similarity between the Karmada and the Ood was completely unintentional. But I'm truly glad you like them - I think they're really interesting characters and bridge-diggers <3.