• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Winner By A Nosepass! (292)

ashiemore

Seems a bit like a typical gym battle... ash makes some amazing move that luckily makes him win the battle. :p

Lionel

I love that they incorporated the 'levitate' ability of Geodude against him instead of benefiting him. When Geodude was not grounded, he suffered from electric attacks in the anime, which makes sense if you don't buy into the whole 'Pokemon are made of elemental properties' game theory that explains that all ground types will resist against electric attacks no matter the circumstances, which is a bit rigid of a theory if you ask me.

Also, the dubs made an error in this episode. Nosepass used Thunder Wave instead of Zap Cannon, even though both attacks looked the same in the animation (plus, listen to the Japanese audio and you'll know that Roxanne called out a Zap Cannon attack instead of Thunder Wave).

It was pretty amazing how Pikachu was able to defeat both Geodude and Nosepass, with help from Treeko at the beginning weakening Geodude.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I was shocked when May said that she wasn't gonna challenge Gyms at the start of the episode. Anyway, I hated how basic Roxanne's Gym looked from the outside, but seeing Pikachu pretty much carry the whole battle for Ash was worse; why couldn't Treecko do more here than flop against Roxanne's Geodude? Alas, at least Ash won his badge.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I liked Rustboro Gym's exterior design in this episode.However,the Gym Battle itself could have been done much better.Pikachu beating Geodude with Thunder was cheap,but at least he had mastered Iron Tail later.Treecko not knowing any Grass attacks was also pathetic,but it would've been worse if it actually beat Geodude without them.
4/10

JudySpell

Banned
Ash is soooo lucky that his Pikachu learned Iron Tail before this Gym otherwise he would have lost against Nosepass. 7/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I liked how May decided not to challenge gyms here and seeing Treecko getting defeated by Roxanne's Geodude was too bad. Pikachu carried this gym on his own and I liked Nosepass' Zap Cannon. ^^

Leonhart

Imagineer
First off, I enjoyed how Satoshi was doing last-minute training to perfect Pikachu's Iron Tail, because it really showed plot continuation. Anyway, it was really cool that at Tsutsuji's Gym, they record all the Gym battles so the students at the academy can watch them and learn from them. And when Pikachu up went against Nosepass, that was awesome. I liked how we got to see Rock Tomb used for the first time, and it was also cool how Tsutsuji's Nosepass knew Thunder Wave.

Zamin

Pikachu's Thunder is so strong! It was great to see Pikachu beat his opponents.

Team Rocket were funny in this ep.

It was a good episode, I like how the gang supported May in her choice.

I wish May had battled Roxanne, but her decision to do Contests instead was still okay with me. Nosepass versus Pikachu was so exciting.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Roxanne was definitely an excellent Gym Leader, but it's kinda hard to compare her to Brock since the only time we've seen Brock act like a Gym Leader was his battle with Ash at the Pewter Gym. Nice to see that May decided to go the Contest route btw. ;)

ZilverLox

Banned
Whoa, I really liked how you didn't know who was actually going to win until the very end. Too bad how Treecko didn't know any Grass-type attacks. I didn't really realize until this episode that Ash had such good strategy. Roxanne's competitive side was nice. She was tough but intelligent, and really cool!

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Anyway, it was really cool that at Tsutsuji's Gym, they record all the Gym battles so the students at the academy can watch them and learn from them.

I liked that as well cuz it helped tie into Roxanne's other job as a teacher. I kind of wish that her students had shown up at the gym itself tho and that they had been in the audience here, but o well. :3

Pikachu versus Nosepass was amazing. I loved Iron Tail's usefulness. I don't get this though: Why didn't May at least try battling Roxanne before deciding not to even bother collecting Badges?

Meh gym battle. Treecko should have beaten Geodude. I like the slight Say It Ain't So reference.
Here's how I would've done it. (Larvitar is carried over from Johto)
Treecko defeats Geodude
Nosepass defeats Treecko
Larvitar evolves into Pupitar and defeats Nosepass

RetroPokeFan

Ash's first Hoenn gym battle against Roxanne and it's another Rock type gym complete with a Geodude too.

No sprinkler shenanigans this time though as it's Pikachu's chance to finally show what Iron Tail is made off. And while he has trouble at first, he manages to perfect it in the end and claim their first Hoenn win.

Not a bad first gym battle to be honest. Of course Pikachu's real big Hoenn/Battle Frontier moment is coming up for me but that's a different story for another day.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
This battle was great and full of strategies, although Ash should’ve tried to teach Treecko a grass attack. Good gym match, I rewatched it every now and then.

Trey pokes

Good gym battle here. Admittedly I don't care too much for the AG ones besides like Juan, Brawly, and this one.