• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Winter Special #1! Dialga & Palkia! The Space-time Cataclysm!! (1178)

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer

Morax

King of heroes
Well no. AU Ash would come in 4th in the Grand Festival since he came in 4th in the Sinnoh League. AU Dawn came in 2nd in the Sinnoh League since she came in 2nd in the Grand Festival.

That’s not even what she said. She just said she wasn’t a dragon master yet, not that she wasn’t close. But everything she’s done like travel and battle other dragon trainers, meet and catch new dragons, and use gym batltes to grow her own dragons like evolving Axew all the way into Haxorus, all of this brings her closer to her goal of becoming a dragon master. Basically a multi-talented Queen.
There’s only one true Queen.
images

I never had much inherent interest in this two-partner and I don't think this episode changed that. I understand that this is a set-up episode, but throughout it felt incredibly slow while a bunch of characters dialogue'd to each other for minutes on end. There are so many instances in the episode where transitioned to another plot point and that time was just spent on dialogue. Happened over and over. Would have been somewhat cushioned if the show looked good, but that's not the case. There's definitely a concern that the next episode ends up being paced much faster and rushes through the plot.

I have to echo what others said about the other Pokemon reaction to Dawn's Piplup. Felt incredibly weird to see Pikachu and the others all smiling it up in a serious situation.

Hope that Lucario sees some significant use in the next episode.

Honestly, the AU world didn't felt visually interesting besides the auroras or distinct enough from the home world. Clearly that was the point given some of the dialogue in the episode, but it really blunts the interesting aspects that comes with AUs as concept.

Unsure of what makes AU Dawn that distinct in personality from the Dawn we know either. Yes, she's a Sinnoh league participant and a battler, but felt like that was window dressing and brushed off pretty quickly. AU Dawn is maybe more soft-spoken and less energetic? Feel like I'm stretching here.

Dephender mentioned they're going for the shy/nervous archetype for Ash with this AUagain and that definitely looks to be the case given the preview. Looks more distinct than the difference between AU Dawn and actual Dawn for sure and I hope they do something with it and have some nice character interactions.

Didn't think this episode was very fun to watch. A perfect TL;DR for this episode would be " dull. "

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
The hell is a Dragon Master.

Like a Pokémon Master, but for dragons, obviously.

No, Dragon Master is an anime-invented title bestowed by the Dragon Village to those deemed worthy of it. Shaga is one, so it's not presented as some kind of impossible goal or something that implies beyond-champion-tier strength or anything like that.
(confusing matters somewhat is the fact that the English translations of the video games use it as a (mis)translation of "Dragon-tsukai", which just means a Trainer that uses Dragon type Pokemon and does not imply any kind of mastery in the slightest)

I'm really curious what was so visually bad about thisepisode
Besides like two instances of horrid Garchomp animation, that comment wasn't at all specific to this episode. I just think Journeys generally has an unattractive visual style.

I probably should have been more clear, but no there wasn't anything specifically bad about this episode's visuals. The comment is simply saying that if I thought the show just generally looked better to me it would be somewhat easier to stomach these boring dialogue heavy scenes.

Last edited:
Pokemon has always had an unattractive art style lol. Even kamichama karin looks prettier in comparison.

images
Disagree. I think specific Poketoon episodes like " I become a Gengar?! " and " Yume no Tsubomi " as well as Twilight Wings are the height of looking visually amazing. The Pokemon movies generally look great as well and for mainline series, XY is peak for me there.

Also, I think you're giving Pokemon too much of a bad rap. I think JN definitely looks better than that screenshot.

Morax

King of heroes
Disagree. I think specific Poketoon episodes like " I become a Gengar?! " and " Yume no Tsubomi " as well as Twilight Wings are the height of looking visually amazing. The Pokemon movies generally look great as well and for mainline series, XY is peak for me there.

Also, I think you're giving Pokemon too much of a bad rap. I think JN definitely looks better than that screenshot.
I'm talking about the character designs. They have always been batshit ugly, especially ash who looks like cow dung. Serena and Cynthia are kinda cute but everyone else is just meh.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
YUP.

My opinion remains the same and even more positive after a rewatch, the lore and contastrophe involving the Space-Time duo was actually really appealing. I'm really glad they didn't direct copy-paste the same exact episode style from DP. I loved how Go got to use his research fellow deductive powers to assess the situation and give it all thought while remaining calm and cool. It provided a nice contrast to both Hikari's stressed-out or sad dispositions. Sometimes I feel Pokemon characters can be samey-same so I like it when stuff to contrast them like that is highlighted. He doesn't even seem to freak out over the egg reverting like Hikari does even notices the flowers being a sign of an issue. Hikari felt more on-the-move and energized contrasting his more analytical and well-put together energy.

Koharu/Satoshi hanging together to research Palkia was pretty cute, if only because they rarely seem to have their own dynamic. Glad Koharu is giving her take on Satoshi somewhat - even if a basic acknowledging of his positivity. Shirona got some nice relevance here doing what does best and inquiring abouts the mythos of Sinnoh while investigating and being aware of the current matters of Sinnoh. Really felt her Champion status and wisedom here, Jararanga being under her care was still swell if only because it missed out during SM on a major role/battle. Also two Dragons with Outrage, overkill.

AU!TRio were a good threat and felt good seeing TR actually being successful and threatening for once, they seemed genuninely malicious and evil. They just were calculating and the whole threat and time-based aspect of the episode was extremely imposing at times and offered a proper amount of stakes and narrative weight. The exposition and detailing this episode was just great in-general and far better than the previous Sinnoh two-parter. It was a lot to soak in, Satoshi knowing of Palkia, mentioning Ultra Holes and actually being properly comforting in Pochama's abduction made him feel a bit more dynamic this time around and I guess that's to provide the contrast to what appears to be his more formal/shy double.

Super dynamic episode that provides some nice suspense and detailing while also allowing every character to contribute in their own way and express themselves nicely, the pacing was pretty good considering all the stuff they were juggling. Also what a cliffhanger with AU!Musashi declaring the effects have now reached the world of the original Satoshi and it was a matter of time before the Pokemon, plants and people there got rewinded. I really can't complain, I had lower expectations for this episode since I figured mostly having seen scenes/hype leading up would mostly keep me mildly engrossed but this episode had a lot of what I enjoy out of a world-changing affair involving two legendaries as the centerpiece and the boys trying to figure out the issue, save their Pokemon and put things back to normal.

Stoked for part2 next week, AU!Satoshi/Satoshi is going to be entertaining. I can already tell.