• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Winter Special #1! Dialga & Palkia! The Space-time Cataclysm!! (1178)

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
This is meme material

bCV4Biq.jpg
"Everything the light touches is good anime."
"Then why are we standing in the dark?"
"Everything the light touches is good anime."

Kungfu-Bear

Vine girl was announced champion 7 months ago and you’re still pressed. It’s funny because she was arguably the most powerful Pokegirl BEFORE they even announced she would be the Champion in BW2. I wish people would stop comparing Iris and Dawn. It’s giving the vibe “you can do good but not better than me”. So what if Dawn has “little” progression towards her goal or not a lot of focus on it. She’s still appeared more than Iris has and got more screen time. Additionally we’ve spent years hearing the rhetoric that Iris was never returning because she was “unpopular” and ratio of her returning as champion was the icing on the cake. In conclusion stop complaining and be happy Dawn has had the most appearances in this anime of any returning companions.
Not sure if this reply was really to me cus you seem to be using my comment as a strawman for something (I didn't even know comparing Iris x Dawn is a thing), I was just pointing out that both Iris and Dawn comeback show a botch the cooking that can be repeated with Haruka/May, I wasn't trying to force a pokegirl war or something - couldn't care less about this, although I still prefer Lillie over them. Sorry if anyone felt offended, I'm glad you enjoyed both comebacks ;)

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
so...did the aether foundation decide to go public about ultra holes?

Cause I literally had to tilt my head when Ash brought it up so casually and no one questioned that.
I mean they are giant holes in the sky. Pretty hard to cover that up

Sham

The Guardian of War
Not sure if this reply was really to me cus you seem to be using my comment as a strawman for something (I didn't even know comparing Iris x Dawn is a thing), I was just pointing out that both Iris and Dawn comeback show a botch the cooking that can be repeated with Haruka/May, I wasn't trying to force a pokegirl war or something - couldn't care less about this, although I still prefer Lillie over them. Sorry if anyone felt offended, I'm glad you enjoyed both comebacks ;)
Do you know what a straw man is? And the way you said "I'd rather..... than...." means you're making a comparison. Although yes a big topic going on is "why hasn't Dawn became a TC when Iris came back as a Champion" as if it's the same thing.

Morax

King of heroes
why hasn't Dawn became a TC when Iris came back as a Champion" as if it's the same thing.
How is it not? If iris can progress towards her goal then why can’t dawn/may/serena? It’s not wrong to expect some development.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
This is meme material

bCV4Biq.jpg
Yeah, see, Chloe is never having an important serious battle at this rate.
I mean they are giant holes in the sky. Pretty hard to cover that up
Yeah, but it's kind of really random to mention in a series that doesn't even go that far with call-backs.

Ash bringing up his Bulbasaur in that strangely similar Bulbasaur breakout episode would have made far more sense, but...

Morax

King of heroes
be happy Dawn has had the most appearances in this anime of any returning companions.
And what exactly did she achieve in that tenure? A character can return infinite amount of times but if they don’t show any progress then that is a dead character. I’d take iris over dawn any day.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Dawn had a special episode dedicated to her deciding that she likes her team and her journeys will be with her team. So new captures despite going to other regions makes sense in line of that.

Sure she could get a new evolution but Buneary will not evolve because of the marketing and it’s crush on Pikachu. Quilava could potentially to show off new form in Legends…..heck we have no idea what happens in the end of next episode, they made a point of Pokemon de-volving this episode so maybe one of the surprises moments next episode could be Quilava evolves to take out AU Team Rocket

I admit, I would like to see some goal progression but as a Dawn fan, I’d actually prefer to see her progression on screen. Now we know she’s back in Sinnoh it would be nice to see her invite the gang to watch her Grand Festival later down the line and watch her win.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Enjoyed the episode. Looking forward to next week. I’m going to hold off on sharing the rest of my thoughts on this episode until after part two airs next week.

Having regular TR show up was a nice surprise since the advertising only focused on “Cyborg AU Rocket.” Even though I don’t miss thier old once-per-episode ”let’s kidnap Pikachu” gag, there absence leaves a huge hole in the show.

So…let’s talk about Dawn’s progression.

The show is stuck in a lose/lose position when it comes to Dawn’s progression between series. At the end of DP, Dawn had a full team of 6, had won an international contest, and was runner up in the Sinnoh Grand Festival. There isn’t much room for her to grow offscreen. She can’t really move closer to her goal without actually achieving it. And any team changes would come at the expense of an existing team member as she already has a full team, and most of them are either fully evolved or don’t want to evolve.

So that means Dawn is unfortunately stuck in her status quo of being on the cusp of obtaining her goal without being able to accomplish it.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Smeg, a day late, oh well not an essay time:
I certainly wasn't expecting to see Dawn's entire roster at the top of the episode, but considering she was practicing for her next contest, I suppose it makes sense, though I will say the way Piplup was acting at that point, he seemed rather complacent, doesn't need to practice. Looking at bizarro-world TR's outfit and their comptence, I am reminded of how they were in early Best Wishes, though on the other hand whilst a part of me is disappointed that TR (or an alternate universe version of them) are the villains in this special, I'm also aware that it's fine given we're dealing with AU versions of the cast. I do think that having a plot that revolves around space and time being distorted is an interesting one, I feel that Dialga and Palkia's latent abilities felt underused previously, so I like that we're seeing such in these episodes, even if it's due to them being retrained by the Red Chain, one such reason why I'm disappointed that AU TR are the villains here, seeing as usage of the Red Chain is more Team Galactic's thing. In all seriousness though, it's interesting to see pokemon in the AU eventually revert to an egg-state and that such distortions eventually reached the real world when Pikachu and Garchomp were unable to use Thunderbolt and Scale Shot respectively, and the fact that the distortions from the AU world were beginning to affect the real world, my thinking is that the gates opening previously prior to the episode was a contributing factor to the space-time distortions over there seeping through, with each gate slowly accelerating the process. And whilst I'm on that tangent, when Cynthia sent out Kommo-O, my immediate reaction was "Ok, of course she has a Kommo-O." considering I knew that it had to be a reference to Sygna Suit Cynthia having Kommo-O in Masters. If there was one thing that I initially didn't notice, it was TR's balloon in the tree outside Canalave Library, by that I mean I didn't notice it in the first shot, but I did notice it in the second shot a couple minutes late, I even dialed back to see it there the first time. Another thing I found interesting was that in the AU, Dawn partook in battles and finished 2nd in the Sinnoh League which I'd say is a parallel to real world Dawn coming in 2nd in the Sinnoh Grand Festival. Finally, when Ash suggested asking Palkia for help, I was like "Sure, let's casually ask a legendary for help. Excuse me, Palkia, can you help us?"

Kungfu-Bear

Do you know what a straw man is? And the way you said "I'd rather..... than...." means you're making a comparison. Although yes a big topic going on is "why hasn't Dawn became a TC when Iris came back as a Champion" as if it's the same thing.
Isn't strawman something or someone you target to communicate with other people or points made?
English is not my native language so expect a lot of misunderstandings.
When I saw an image of Iris I saw a chance to give my thoughts about what I didn't like about her return since I started to join the forums here around EP70 and didn't joined the discussions about this particular episode, so I drew a parallel with the problem with Dawn's return because they're basically 'opposite ends' which was the main point to not to go so off-topic, although I was more bothered with what they did to Iris. I have this feeling that they will do spectacularly well with May's comeback as they did with Ash vs Volkner, OLM seems to be aware of some mistakes they make and try to improve in the next chances. Don't worry maybe I'd better keep some opinions to myself next time.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I didn't think it possible for there to be a version of TR more devoid of personality than the BW TR, but here we are. I tip my hat to you, writers.