• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Winter Special #1! Dialga & Palkia! The Space-time Cataclysm!! (1178)

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Talk about the episode, not your wacky headcanons.

it seem like some Pokémon devolved like Digimon now?

Does that mean Pokémon is copying Digimon therefore Pokémon are digimon now if they devolved back to first stage!!

what's next? Copying Digimon by having all Pokémon talk? oh great...

(I know I'm Sarcastic but still)

Last edited:

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
They're Giovanni-level of personality and competence, even if they still have the ridiculous talking Meowth.
I mean, for all we know, that’s just them with their work face on. I mean, just look at Ash when he’s in a serious battle compared to down time.

BobbbidyBob

Wow! I enjoyed this! It kept me intrigued.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Okay before I read anything that was said here I wanna write my own review of the episode!!! I am a DP stan as y'all know so it's nice to write about it and the reason I'm late was coz I was banned when the episode was airing so oh well
I might end up double posting coz I wanna write my review before reading anyone else's comments but I would wanna probably reply to some comments in this thread!! I hope it's a wholesome one coz I absolutely loved this episode

This episode imo was a perfect setup of the arc and couldn't have been done better! First of all we see Dawn's full team again, thank god (Hope we see Buneary and Pikachu interact that's all I want). I don't care it is unchanged, I prefer it that way, I would have wanted quilava to evolve but knowing the potential hisuian evolution now I'm glad they might be saving it. Buneary should never evolve, period and Dawn doesn't need more additions imo
Ash bringing Dawn a gift and taking care of her again just like the DP days made me smile a lot and I love just how good this episode was in honouring their bond, first with the opening scene and then Goh remarking how much Dawn reminds him of Ash. That's the stellar DP duo that I remember! Really hope we get that high five soon enough!
Speaking of Ash I love how he was handled, him bringing up Ultra wormholes was a surprise but a perfect way to include continuity and portray Ash as a guy with tons of experiences
Goh and Dawn/Ash and Chloe both made for a great pair, weren't forced and were completely organic. Cynthia was short and sweet, crisp as she needed to be, adding to the mythology angle, showing off more of her team to build up to master class and not taking more time away from the episode. Same with how TR was handled. Glad Ash and Goh are using their Pokemon as well!! Never really felt like they wasted time this episode or didn't pace it properly. Similarly to Dawn's first appearance the pacing and the setup were done well. The whole lore of the multiverse and how evil TR is causing chaos was explained and done well. I love Dawn in the AU was a runner up in the league just like how main Dawn is the runner up in grand festival, she's just a prodigy all around!
The music in this episode was GORGEOUS, like absolutely phenomenal and the animation this ep didn't lack either
I really can't find anything negative about this episode except that I hope the next episode manages to be epic and doesn't feel rushed. (Also Infernape is AU's Ash Pokemon properly so eh)
Also I'm SO HAPPY Gengar and dragonite appear next episode as well (bare minimum ik but at this point I'm glad we are getting back to what should have been the way Ash's team was handled)
So glad Yonemura got this arc, hope he gets the next eventual Dawn arc as well when she returns for LA promotion (it's gonna happen y'all, just like how I was sure the darkrai cresslia stuff wasn't dawn's only appearance)
All in all, definitely a 10/10 episode, balancing everything perfectly down to the music, animation, characterisation, exposition, pacing, character interactions and usage, Pokemon usage and setting up + hype. Really hope the next episode delivers as well, Sinnoh forever is <3
(Still mad I got too much college work coz man I wanna play more BDSP, have hardly managed to play it yet)

EDIT:
Okay gone through the thread now, the Iris whataboutism was annoying to read, people are still pressed about her geez. Dawn didn't need to have team changes, and she's still a perfectly fine and well established character, chill down
Also the most ridiculous thing here was the overblown Pikachu OOC moment. Pikachu literally was the FIRST who went up to Dawn to cheer her up after Piplup got kidnapped. God forbid it act as a cute animal in one background frame instead of being a stoic serious character. Claiming it ruins his relationship with Piplup is just....overexaggeration

Last edited:

GMax Helios

Did anyone else get major Digimon vibes from this? Admittedly, I know very little about Digimon, however one of the things I've heard is that when a Digimon dies, rather than going to the afterlife, they reincarnate back into an egg. And while the Pokemon didn't really die, considering the reactions the 2 Dawns had it sure kind of felt like it. Also, I've been playing a game called Digimon World Next Order where that is one of the mechanics. One of your Digimon dies? That one starts from scratch. Well, somewhat, since a percentage of the stat boosts do carry over after the reincarnation.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
I can’t believe that the Alternative Dawn happened to be the runner up of the Sinnoh League instead of a coordinator. Something that is different from her original counterpart. As for the Alternative Ash, he’s like a Mirror Ash. I wonder what the Alternative World Paul would be like. Do you think he could be nicer than his original counterpart? Or ten times worse?

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Nice to see that I was correct about the anime promoting Pokemon Masters after all the arguments from people saying that they weren't in any way promoting anything to do with the game and that JN was strictly Pokemon GO/SwSh related.

So to all those people, in which canon does Cynthia have a Kommo-o? Oh yeah..

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Nice to see that I was correct about the anime promoting Pokemon Masters after all the arguments from people saying that they weren't in any way promoting anything to do with the game and that JN was strictly Pokemon GO/SwSh related.

Yeah they’re promoting an alt over a year after it first joined the game for a story line that’s been over for quite a while now. It’s at most a nod/reference.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.

Who knows if the anime is even promoting Masters at all. I don't see Cynthia or Erika in their Sygna Suits. Cynthia could just be using Kommo-o because it's a strong Dragon-type...that happens to be a Fighting-type for Lucario to fight. Meanwhile, Erika could just be using Leafeon because she's a Kanto character but they honestly had no made-up Sinnoh character to use for it. But if Misty appears with Vaporeon, then yes, they would be tapping into Masters.

It's not as blatant as Goh blatantly working on Pokemon GO mechanics.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Who knows if the anime is even promoting Masters at all. I don't see Cynthia or Erika in their Sygna Suits. Cynthia could just be using Kommo-o because it's a strong Dragon-type...that happens to be a Fighting-type for Lucario to fight. Meanwhile, Erika could just be using Leafeon because she's a Kanto character but they honestly had no made-up Sinnoh character to use for it. But if Misty appears with Vaporeon, then yes, they would be tapping into Masters.

It's not as blatant as Goh blatantly working on Pokemon GO mechanics.

It's one hell of a reach to say it'll only count if they involve Misty. Like Cynthia and Erika don't count enough and Misty is the only character worth referencing.

vondecayle

Nice to see competent Team Rocket again and Dawn as a runner up
of the pokemon league in another universe. Liked the soundtracks for this episode.

Last edited:

Starswirl Pikachu

Looks likes its duplicate day with the appearance of what look like dopplegangers! I could only imagine what sort of disaster could change Dawn from cheery and sunny to sad and gloomy. Although the explanation seems to be some manner of alternate reality rather than time travel, which is still unclear. Team Rocket have been MIA for a while and its good that they are back. I wonder what kind of gritty background history those alternate Team Rocket have going on?

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Really liked the pacing on this one; I genuinely really liked the whole episode. Lots of interesting plotlines and events given room to breathe and play out.

That whole scene with Dawn at the beginning was so #DPvibes. Dawn’s motivational speech with her team and the OST choice especially sold it for me, felt very nostalgic. Koharu coming along to help Dawn was a sweet little detail. And speaking of little things like that, Ash offering Dawn croquettes to cheer her up was so sweet. Her tearing up at his thoughtfulness was so nice….ahhh I just love them. Top 1 dynamic

Ash mentioning Ultra Wormholes was great and was some of that logical worldbuilding that JN occasionally does well. The whole Dawn lookalike premise makes me think this whole AU scenario was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the greatest episode ever made, Dawn of a Royal Day; it would’ve been fun to see a Salvia flashback. AU Dawn being the League runner-up is also a neat concept. I wonder if AU Paul was a Grand Festival finalist? I would love to see that lol

Go and Dawn/Ash and Koharu being split up like that was a good choice. Go seeing Ash in Dawn but interacting with her in a way where he can tell she’s still more levelheaded and her own person was cool. Koharu being a bit bewildered by Ash but getting along with him more was subtle but nice to see nonetheless.

Cynthia’s appearance was a bit random but it makes sense she’d be at the Canalave library. Kommo-o only being used to fend off Best Wishes TR is still so disappointing….like hello. Such a cool Pokémon for her

It’s so funny to me that Dialga and Palkia are like always fighting. I think it’s because they’re really the only Legendary pair given this much focus in the anime so it seems like they’re just always going at it lmaooo