• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Winter Special #2! Dialga & Palkia! The Decisive Space-time Battle!!

D

Deleted member 384931

REVIEW OF THE TWO-PARTER:

THE POSITIVE :
+ We got to see Dialga and Palkia after 12 years
+ Dawn returned
+We actually got to see a competent Gou

THE NEGATIVE:
- AU Team Rocket got defeated easily by 2 Koharus
- What was the point of Cynthia?
- The ending! Or rather no proper ending

THE MEH STUFF
+/- Some things got ripped of from previous episodes in different sagas
+/- Arceus appeared for 3 seconds, idk.
+/- The Normal Team Rocket, why where they here?
+/- Dawn herself was not really necessary here.

CONCLUSION:6,5/10. Not an amazing two-parter if I am honest. I mean, it is passable, but that is it. Not sure if I would watch it again

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
I don't think Lopunny is gonna evolve, but Quilava has higher chance to evolve since it is more marketable toward kids.
Maybe they will make a Legends special where Dawn travels in time to Hisui and evolves her Quilava to Hisuain Typhlosion.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Why does other world Koharu feel more interesting then regular Koharu.

Seriously, tech-savvy cocky-confident air hacker Bokukko girl that just takes actions on a freakin’ pterodactyl?

AU Go is just straight Shigeru energy, love to see it.
Cuz normal Koharu is just a nice girl that does homework and holds Eevee.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Yeah I echo the sentiments that the previous episode was a better written episode overall
This episode did have it's moments, humor and animation but I think I'll still prefer the previous episode atleast on the writing side
The resolutions felt..... completely weak
It was fun BDSP promotion ig, really hope we get something concrete with Dawn in Hisui special tho, this time focusing on her bond with Ash as she's already covered Chloe and Goh and we have seen her team appear practicing for a contest we have yet to see

Jezrocket

The alternate Team Rocket (in BW style) seriously lacked of individual personality. Ok they were cruel, competent and mature but that was mostly their characteristics as a team not individual characters. I would have more liked to see clearly a shy / timid A.U Jessie and a brutal / dominant A.U James..

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
This was an ok episode. I don’t really know how to formulate my opinion on it. Deaging the characters was probably the most interesting thing I’ve seen the anime do in a long time but it didn’t really feel like anything crazy. Yeah it’s cute to see Ash with a Pichu, Dratini, and Gastly as well as Go with all the basic stage Galar starters at once but they didn’t really do much with concept. Jessie with Wynaut was so cute though and I’d pay for that to be a permanent change because I was sad to see it “evolve”. Would’ve been kind of dark but was wondering if they’d make Dracovish revert back into Fossils lmao.

It would’ve be more interesting if the clash of Dialga and Palkia was causing more distortion and time was moving randomly so you could have Pikachu evolve into Raichu/Meowth into Persian. That’d cause a lot more tension seeing how they feel about their evolved forms.

I did like the AU versions of the cast. AU Go & Chloe were really interesting and would be interested in a reality where they’re the “real” versions of these characters. Dawn being the Sinnoh League runner up is interesting. My only issue is that the alternates are just opposite personality with the same Pokémon. Would’ve liked some more differences.

The finale was really anticlimactic. I don’t think praying to Arceus is too out there given Arceus is pretty much God (I have to question why it doesn’t come out on its own to handle its children) but how sudden it was? I didn’t expect them to handle it directly on their own but the solution to the problem was super sudden. It’s most likely a tease for the inevitable Legends Arceus promotion but idk it just felt underwhelming. The prayers made me think of the end of the Necrozma arc where everyone was helping Necrozma gain light. Am I the only one who thought of that?

TL;DR: This episode was fine but, like most “arcs”, could’ve used more time to flesh out the ideas introduced in the arc. Hopefully the inevitable LA arc builds upon this like how the first 3 DP movies did

Soniman

Break the Limit
Seeing mostly lukewarm feelings for the episode and two parter as a whole and I can understand that. Just felt like there was a really cool dramatic story here that just wasnt allowed to be given room to breathe, the stuff with the deevlolving Pokemon couldve made for some good drama but you only see that seriously with AU Dawn in the first episode, if things were happening mroe gradulaly and you saw how these characteres dealt witht heir precious Pokemon gradually disappearing it wouldve been really cool, on top of the whole end of the world scenario with the legendaries.

But alas that wasnt we got, what we did get was decent I thought, but I really dont have a lot ot say about it, I think the de-aging concept was really cool like I said but I wish more was done with it, TR was pointless, AU TR was dealt with pretty easily but I do like the music used while they were fighting. AU Goh and Chloe were pretty entertaining, AU Ash was...there I guess, got more out of Mirror Ash personally. And yeah the ending was pretty contrived, the writers pretty much wrote themselves into a corner with that one.

Overall I prefer the first two parter and id probably give this a 6/10 but I enjoyed myself with it. Why was Cynthia here again?

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I said before these eps would be more interesting if this wasn't the third series in a row to use the parallel world story. Unfortunately, this failed to dispel my fears.

My main problem is the alt world is just the Mirror World again, where the only real differences is the humans have different personalities. It doesn't help that alt-Ash's personality is incredibly similar (if not the same; I haven't watched that XY ep in years) to Mirror Ash.

Like come on. It's an alternate universe. The possibilities are endless, so do something interesting. Have fun with the premise.. Go nuts!

Alt-Dawn came second in the Sinnoh League, but nothing comes of it. It's a cute reference to Dawn's placement in the Grand Festival, but we also could've seen alt-Dawn actually use those skills she supposedly has.

Give the alt-characters different Pokemon. Maybe give alt-Ash the Clefairy our Ash was originally gonna have.

Have the alt-Pokemon use different moves. Alt-Buneary had Mega Punch, but the battle is too crowded for that to mean much.

Speaking of Pokemon, this could've been a great opportunity to see everyone use Pokemon they never had/used to have, but the Pokemon barely get any screentime before they're Egged.

I feel that if they had one more ep, they could've done these things. Or at least if they cut alt-Goh and alt-Chloe. They felt kinda shoehorned in.

I have just checked bilibili, and I found that the Chinese comunity mostly think this is a great and amusing episode…quite surprising fact cause I think it is really rushed but only a few people in Chinese comunity mentioned that..they are all talking that AU goh is better than the original one cause they are all goh haters…huh, their opinions are quite interesting.

Illusio

No words, only rage
It was OK, it was nice seeing the alt versions of the characters and deaging Pokemon were neat, but it was rushed to hell. It also has some holes as you'd think the Pixies or Giratina would've did something, or that Arceus would've done something earlier rather then begging for prayers like SMT YHVH.

Also, is this the first time all three of Goh's starters have shared a scene?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 384931

It was OK, it was nice seeing the alt versions of the characters and dealing Pokemon were neat, but it was rushed to hell. It also has some holes as you'd think the Pixies or Giratina would've did something, or that Arceus would've done something earlier rather then begging for prayers like SMT YHVH.

Also, is this the first time all three of Goh's starters have shared a scene.
I um think so sadly. Mesprit, Azelf and Uxie would have made more sense to me tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:

GMax Helios

Probably the only reason (besides sheer laziness) they didn't include the Lake Guardians is because Brock was absent, and he was chosen by Uxie. You know, now that I think about it, I don't think Brock or Misty have made an appearance yet. Seriously, we don't even know if the're in the WCS. And remember that these 2 are the companions who were with Ash the longest, especially Brock. People might point out that Sun and Moon already brought them back for at least 4 episodes, but should that really matter? Besides, how many times has Charizard returned? The battle against Clair, the Johto League, the battle against Noland and Articuno, Brandon, and Best Wishes. Also, how awesome would it be to see Misty with a Dracovish, Cramorant, or Barraskewda? Or if you want to go even further (even though there would be a 0% chance of it happening), Rapid Strike Urshifu. Of all the characters from the beginning of the series it's not the very first companions that return. We've seen more of Gary. It doesn't help that while Ash did battle (and beat) Misty in Sun and Moon, he never battled Brock. Just think of it, Ash vs Mega Steelix, how awesome does that sound? When was the last time they even battled?