• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Wishful Thinking Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragontamer44722

Pokegyms Owner
lTvi7I0.png

Thanks to the Under for the banner!

Pokegyms & Trinity LEAGUES present: Wishful Thinking Tournament!
a real-time WIFI ΩRαS Tournament​

•The Tournament has ENDED! Thank you to all participants!

•The Wishful Thinking Tournament will take place over a period of 3 days, Friday (January 30th) beginning at 8am EST until Sunday (February 1st) until 11pm EST. If you are interested in joining, please read the rules below and simply indicate your participation in this thread.

(Chatroom sponsored by Trinity League; no sign-up required)​

Questions? Read our FAQ in the spoiler below, or ask our Tournament Overseers (Cryùel & Dragontamer44722)

For the Wishful Thinking Tournament, the rules will be the following:

1. Tournament format: Multilevel format (so no knock-outs)
  2. For this tournament, you pick a type combination that does not yet exist, for example Fairy/Ghost, and create a team using only those 2 types.
  3. In your team, you must use three of each type you pick. So, if you picked Fairy/Ghost, your team must have 3 fairy types and 3 ghost types. An example team would be Sylveon, Togekiss, Slurpuff, Gengar, Sableye and Banette. As such, dual type pokemon are allowed.
  4. There was a debate about whether or not Fire/Water would be acceptable since Volcanion does not officially exist yet. However, because we know its type combination already, Fire/Water will NOT be allowed.
  5. Mega evolutions are permitted, however they must be one of the 2 types you picked. For example, if you picked Steel/Flying, and you decide to use Gyarados, you CANNOT use Mega Gyarados as it loses its Flying type. Also, you cannot mega evolve into one of your two types. So, if you picked Fighting/Dragon, you CANNOT use Charizard even if you intend to mega evolve it.
  6. The tournament will be following the VGC rules + Sleep Clause. A list of the rules can be found HERE, while a list of the clauses within these rules are found HERE
  7. Not more than 1 Legendary allowed per participant
  8. Players are responsible for finding people to battle on their own for each round. You can NOT battle the same person twice!
  9. There will be 5 Rounds in this tournament, so in order to be eligible for the prizes you must battle 3 people.
  10. If you have finished all of your rounds, but there are players who have not and there isn't anyone else available, you may battle that person so that they can complete their round. the result of the battle will not affect YOUR score, but will count towards the opponents.

The Following Pokemon are banned in all forms
Mewtwo
Mew
Lugia
Ho-oh
Celebi
Kyrogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Jirachi
Deoxys
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Phione
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shayman
Arceus
Reshiram
Zekrom
Kyurem
Keldeo
Meloetta
Genesect
Victini
Xerneas
Yveltal
Zygarde
Diancie
Prizes: 1st Place Picks 2, 2nd Place Picks 1

Prize 1:Shiny Virizion caught in a Heal ball, Jolly with 6ivs, RNG'd in Unova
Prize 2:Shiny Hydregon, Timid with 5ivs, Earth Power egg move
Prize 3:Shiny Moon ball Adamant Skill Link Cloyster with Rock Blast

Random Participation Prizes (Given to random players who completed their rounds but did not place 1st or 2nd)
Shiny Totodile, Adamant with 5ivs, Aqua Jet, Ice Punch, and Dragon Dance egg moves
Shiny Adamant Quick feet Shroomish with Bullet Seed, Focus Punch, Wake Up Slap

Q: Do I have to be a registered Challenger of the Pokegyms and/or Trinity League to participate?
A: No, anyone is welcome to join our casual Tournaments - registered Challengers, Gym Leaders, and non-League members alike. The more, the merrier~
Of course, we hope that your interactions and battles with League Members will show you how much fun our Leagues are. :D

Q: Are Mega evolutions allowed?
A: As long as they are not part of the Uber tier, they are permitted.

Q: How many rounds are there, and are there knock-outs?
A: There are typically 3 or 4 rounds, though there may be more depending on the number of participants. There are NO knockouts, so each player should be able to battle the same number of times as everyone else. For our tournaments it is one match per round only, NOT 2 out of 3.

Q: How long is a round?
A: Once pairings for a round are posted in the tournament spreadsheet, you can go ahead and PM/VM your opponent to add their FC & begin the battle. A battle should take no longer than 20 minutes, so please determine a winner by the end of those 20 minutes together (or otherwise take the exact score, for example: 3-2).

Q: What do I do after the first round?
A: You can update your first "Signing in" post using the Special Battle Result Form (in the OP on p. 1) and wait patiently for the tournament hosts to announce the next round. The tournament spreadsheet will list pairings when they have been determined.

Q: Can I switch out a member of my team, or an item, a move, etc. after the first round?
A: No, you cannot! The team you enter the first round with (moves, items, etc. included) may not be changed until the tournament is over.

Q: I have to leave, but the tournament isn't over yet. What do I do?
A: Even if things aren't going well for you in terms of battle results, please stick around until the end of the tournament out of courtesy for the other participants and also for your own enjoyment! If you absolutely need to leave, please mention that at the end of your updated "Signing in" post, or directly pm/vm the tournament overseers (Cryuel and Dragontamer44722)

Q: What are the prizes?
A: Each tournament features at least 3 prizes, which will be announced in advance before the tournament begins. There featured prizes of which the 1st place winner may choose one from. The 2nd place winner gets the other featured prize, etc. There are also participation prizes which will be randomly distributed amongst the other participants. (only participants who have played all rounds, or all rounds except for one, can be considered for this prize)

Special Battle Result Form for the Tournament
For the Pokegyms & Trinity Leagues Wishful Thinking Tournament, participants should use only this special Battle Result Form. Ratings should always be constructive and provide opportunities for growth.

Round #, Opponent: [Example: "Round 1, Mr.Y ]
Victor, Score: [Example: "Mr.Y , 2-0"]
Rate your performance: x/10
Rate opponents' performance: x/10
Constructive comments about the match:

Last edited:

Marashu

Signing up - to confirm, when you say VGC rules, it'll be doubles format, right? Not just singles with VGC limitations?

I have a question: Am I only allowed to use pure type pokemon or are dual types allowed? Like say I choose Fairy/Ghost like the example. Can I only use pure Fairies and pure Ghosts or are dual types allowed in?

dragontamer44722

Pokegyms Owner
Ah I knew I was forgetting something. Yes dual types are permitted, as long as one of their types is part of the 2 types you chose.

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Hey was just wondering a couple of things before entering.

1. Since were playing VGC does this mean we have to play Flat Rules so it will become a 4vs4 match?
2. Hoe does this tourney look towards team type disadvantage? I mean lets say I chose GRASS/BUG and my opponent uses FIRE/FLYING?
3. Since were going with the VGC ruling, does this mean that moves like Minimize, Swagger become allowed? (Hope not tho..)
4. One legendary means we are allowed to use an Uber? but that goes against the VGC ruling to use ubers, or do you just mean legend with like say latias cuz she is allowed.

Sorry for being a pest :p

Signing up!

Fun fact: Of the possible 171 type combinations, only 39 are available for this tourney!

Last edited:

dragontamer44722

Pokegyms Owner
Hey was just wondering a couple of things before entering.

1. Since were playing VGC does this mean we have to play Flat Rules so it will become a 4vs4 match?
2. Hoe does this tourney look towards team type disadvantage? I mean lets say I chose GRASS/BUG and my opponent uses FIRE/FLYING?
3. Since were going with the VGC ruling, does this mean that moves like Minimize, Swagger become allowed? (Hope not tho..)
4. One legendary means we are allowed to use an Uber? but that goes against the VGC ruling to use ubers, or do you just mean legend with like say latias cuz she is allowed.

Sorry for being a pest :p

Being a pest is allowed when you have valid questions xD

1. We'll use the normal rules as if we were doing SMOGON, but when you go to pick your pokemon you would only pick 4 and not your entire team. As long as all of you r pokemon are the same level then it will be fine.

2.Because we don't know what everyone's type combination will be ahead of time (Cryuel and I intend to participate) we suggest that you don't say what your types are either. Since it will be up to the players themselves to set up matches we can't really control that sort of situation. Of course, you should try to pick a type combination that does not have similar weaknesses, but at this point there isn't much we can do about it.

3. Unfortunately since VGC has no banned moves, those moves are allowed. However, because we are including teh SleepClause, Dark Void IS banned as it would cause the Sleep clause to come into effect.

4.Uber legends are NOT permitted, as per VGC rules that are in the info tab. If its not on that list, it can be used.
I'd love to join! Quick question though, is this being played in Pokemon ORAS or Pokemon Showdown?

This will be done in ORAS.
Signing up!

Fun fact: Of the possible 171 type combinations, only 39 are available for this tourney!

Glad you are good at math cause I'm not xD

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Smogon banned moves are allowed? nooo :p
Oh well, judging the level of skill from people who are entering I'm sure they have no need for such moves anyway.

Once I finshed a idea for my team I will signup, thanks for answering !

Last edited:

dragontamer44722

Pokegyms Owner
Smogon banned moves are allowed? nooo :p
Oh well, judging the level of skill from people who are entering I'm sure they have no need for such moves anyway.

Once I finshed a idea for my team I will signup, thanks for answering !

Fair enough!

making a sign in for myself since I'll be able to play (for once)

LynxForte

The Phoenix
A lot of things have come up for next weekend; not 100% sure if I'll be able to participate or not. Will keep you updated

dragontamer44722

Pokegyms Owner
A lot of things have come up for next weekend; not 100% sure if I'll be able to participate or not. Will keep you updated

Not a problem, if you can't make it then you can't make it.

Also as a note I am preparing the prizes so I will have them up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.