• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

With S.Korea rising, Japan losing its edge. How will Japanophiles or otakus react?

Flame Mistress

Well, South Korea is definitely rising over Japan in terms of electronic products and technology (smartphones, TVs, etc), and maybe K-Pop, too, but manhwa will probably never defeat anime and manga - the manhwa Korea produces is mostly targeted at children, as I know from experience. And of course, the video gaming industry will never develop, either (no one's interested in non-online video games over there, except for Pokémon). So in some ways, yes, and other ways, no.

Chris-kun

i still believe
So let me get this straight. Because one Korean song suddenly became popular in America, it means Japan is on the decline and it will be lost into the wind to the Korean trend?

This is just an argument you need to walk away from. I don't think there is enough room in your mouth for another foot.

Japan's own music charts are being dominated by Korean import groups.

The Korean wave overshadowing Japan is nothing new

Vernikova

Champion
Let's hope they react in the most negative way possible online so the rest of us can point and laugh.

Masterge77

Floatzel rules!
Yeah, I can certainly agree with this topic, with the advent of Gangnam Style, and the decline of anime and Japanese media both here and overseas, it's obvious to say that Japan is losing it's touch, or at least it is currently, but then again, the popularity of anime and manga both inside and out of Japan has been up and down since Osamu Tezuka first made Astro Boy, so it's just a trend that's going on right now with the people of the internet. Besides, with Sony losing competition to Samsung lately, it's no wonder that's a contributing factor as well.

Lately, it's even affected me as well, not only am I learning the Korean language, but I'm reading more and more about the country itself and it's history and culture, among other things, I still love Japan for it's history and culture, but of course I will never drop my interest in anime and manga as well, even with my interest in anime declining slowly.

Until then, goodbye Tokyo, you were a fun place while you lasted, and I'll see all you guys in Seoul then.

Well, South Korea is definitely rising over Japan in terms of electronic products and technology (smartphones, TVs, etc), and maybe K-Pop, too, but manhwa will probably never defeat anime and manga - the manhwa Korea produces is mostly targeted at children, as I know from experience. And of course, the video gaming industry will never develop, either (no one's interested in non-online video games over there, except for Pokémon). So in some ways, yes, and other ways, no.

Nothing is set in stone you know, it's just a current trend with South Korean media at the moment, eventually one day in the future Korea will spawn a more anime-style animated series, nobody ever said it won't eventually happen after all. I do know of some nice non-animated Korean films such as Volcano High, which was heavily inspired by Japanese anime.

But right now, the Korean music industry is the dominant medium, with PSY, Hyun-A, 4Minute, Girls Generation, and many others.

i like korea, and japan because they BOTH create music, games, and entertaining internet videos

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
I lived in Seoul for six years, this whole Korean wave thing is nothing new. South Korea has been on the rise for years, and some argue that they have surpassed Japan in certain fields already. Sure, Gagnam Style blew up but that really means nothing in terms of societal dominance.

KrayzieBuddha

英雄豪傑
South Korea's media are nothng but trends over the years. In a few years or so Gangnam Style will die out. To be honest, I never like that song. It's like listening to Souljah Boy in Korean, all show but no flow.

Flame Mistress

Nothing is set in stone you know, it's just a current trend with South Korean media at the moment, eventually one day in the future Korea will spawn a more anime-style animated series, nobody ever said it won't eventually happen after all. I do know of some nice non-animated Korean films such as Volcano High, which was heavily inspired by Japanese anime.

But right now, the Korean music industry is the dominant medium, with PSY, Hyun-A, 4Minute, Girls Generation, and many others.

Looking at things, as long as Japan keeps making anime, Korea will continue to import them, as well as create more kiddie animated shows. We (and certainly not foreigners) don't know for sure. It might, it might not. (And besides, most Korean films are live-action ones...)

I do agree on the last part, though. People in my school know far more about K-Pop than J-Pop.