• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Women in Modern War.

DarkMammoth

Lover of silly memes
It isn't just "western" ideology; it's pretty much any place with a huge military power. It's practically universal.

I am sure at least some women are capable of physical combat and handling the taxation a lot of soldiers go through, but you aren't going to convince anybody that simply because Tribes (which by the way is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TYPE OF WARFARE) are going to convince us that a woman can do anything a man can do to the utmost degree.

That wasn't the point. The idea is that some cultures viewed women as fighters and men did what we considered feminine stuff. So, really, we should try and break the social stigma of letting woman play with the boys. Because they can clearly do it.

And just because a woman can't match a man doesn't mean she can't be strong on her own.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
The social stigma should only go as far as women physically possibly can. All I am saying is that at the same time we must acknowledge that women do have their limits to a degree when you compare them to men. It isn't all 'stigma'.

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
nah, man is a good sniper, but a woman would nuke every 10 minutes. THAT would suck.

darkjigglypuff

Borderline Troll
nah, man is a good sniper, but a woman would nuke every 10 minutes. THAT would suck.
lol wut

All I am saying is that at the same time we must acknowledge that women do have their limits to a degree when you compare them to men.

Ello, ol' chap. I would like to introduce you to:

1) A universal standard for strength, durability, psychological, etc. If you pass, regardless of any other factors including swhether or not you have a vagina, you're in the military.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
That's fine with me. I already agreed to something like that.

darkjigglypuff

Borderline Troll
That's fine with me. I already agreed to something like that.

Indeed.

*sips tea and adjusts monocle*

Though I do still believe we should just bugger all this nonsense by replacing all the soldiers with robots.

*sips tea again*

nintendude 64

Dropped my balls!
If women want to serve their country in any way possible, they should be allowed to.

ViewtifulJoe

Hero of Movie Land
Meh, the way I see it, just try to get as many soldiers as possible. As long as they're not criminals, druggies, mentally disabled, or other that can result in serious negative effects, the armies should just want as many people as possible. It's not like there are billions of men willing to serve. Screw chivalry if you want to take out your enemies.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
As long as they're not druggies and criminals.. ?

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
The First Crusade is a perfect example of why criminals shouldn't be soldiers.
If you can read The Greatest Lies in History by Alexander Canduci, it'll tell you why.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Are we talking about current criminals or ones with a background of one?

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
Ah, both I would assume as there are re-offenders who are equally dangerous.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I wouldn't say a background of them should be excluded from war. If you get a hold of them good enough, they're the easiest to make soldiers probably.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
The social stigma should only go as far as women physically possibly can. All I am saying is that at the same time we must acknowledge that women do have their limits to a degree when you compare them to men. It isn't all 'stigma'.

There is no doubt at all. Even if they went to a war with men, they will be exhausted much faster.
It's just natural that the males were fighting more then the females.

Dragoon952

The Winter Moth
I think that theory needs to take a backseat to harsh reality sometimes.

I have no problem with women serving in combat roles if they can meet the same standards required as men. I was in ROTC in college, and if a woman can pick up my wounded rear end and carry me to safety just as a man could, then I'm all for it. I know for a fact, though, that PT requirements for women ARE different than what they use for men, currently, even down to how you can do your pushups. So, just standardize across the board and if a woman can do it just as well then we should be good to go.

However, there are ancillary issues that needs serious consideration. First and foremost, in regards to combat, there ARE serious issues in regards to "housing." As much as you want to think it wouldn't be a problem, a few women with a group of men out in the field for extended periods of time where they are all in tight quarters, have to change in the presence of one another, etc. can cause problems that a group of men wouldn't experience on the same level.

Even if you don't think that is a problem, a real issue is the harsh reality that women are exposed to greater danger and difficulties not by how we treat them, but how OTHERS treat them. It doesn't matter how open minded and tolerant we are when a female soldier is captured by the opposing side. There are just more dangers for a woman in a prisoner of war scenario than a man in the same conditions.

I think those are more of the harsh realities that need to be taken into consideration. It may have nothing to do with their ability, but more about harsh realities.

Just some thoughts to consider anyway.

darkjigglypuff

Borderline Troll
However, there are ancillary issues that needs serious consideration. First and foremost, in regards to combat, there ARE serious issues in regards to "housing." As much as you want to think it wouldn't be a problem, a few women with a group of men out in the field for extended periods of time where they are all in tight quarters, have to change in the presence of one another, etc. can cause problems that a group of men wouldn't experience on the same level.

I'm strangely in favor of giving soldiers drugs to suppress their sexual desires. But I guess that would be too easy.

.TraX.

Bad and Nationwide
I know for a fact, though, that PT requirements for women ARE different than what they use for men, currently, even down to how you can do your pushups. So, just standardize across the board and if a woman can do it just as well then we should be good to go.

There are 2 methods of doing push ups, and frankly women can't do one variety properly, you are correct about this. It doesn't really make any difference though, the push ups in question *do* use different muscle groups though.

Even if you don't think that is a problem, a real issue is the harsh reality that women are exposed to greater danger and difficulties not by how we treat them, but how OTHERS treat them. It doesn't matter how open minded and tolerant we are when a female soldier is captured by the opposing side. There are just more dangers for a woman in a prisoner of war scenario than a man in the same conditions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_torture_and_prisoner_abuse says sup.

JerisEnigma

Unemployed Red Mage
No one wants to see it happen it would be cruel.
Because then other women might give up the military service. when a man/male is captured no one thinks like that.
Its called WAR. Bad things happen. That's just more motivation NOT to FAIL and be captured! And you're right, if they're male, they'll just be KILLED. A prisoner can be rescued. ;P My main counterpoint has already been said:

Anyway, women are raped, killed and abused in war even if they don't fight.
"The women of this country learn long ago, Those without swords can still die upon them"

By joining the military, a woman will be forged, MADE stronger so that won't happen! >.<

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
Don't tell me, tell Ash-kid. I know this already.
It'll still happen, sure as the Sun sets in the West, but at least some women will be able to defend themselves, either through their physique or weapons.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Don't tell me, tell Ash-kid. I know this already.
It'll still happen, sure as the Sun sets in the West, but at least some women will be able to defend themselves, either through their physique or weapons.
I think that in a war they surly can defend themselves but over time it will not suffice. I don't see a situation that if a women will be killed in war the army will continue to send them.
Its called WAR. Bad things happen. That's just more motivation NOT to FAIL and be captured! And you're right, if they're male, they'll just be KILLED.
And if the kidnapper will kill the woman hostage? So it may cause to the women in the world to never want to be a soldier in the army.