• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Wondering whether or not to get into competitive battling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Chaos

stick in the mud
It's kinda like drugs, imo. If you get really into it, you will be consumed and get addicted. You will constantly be thinking about Pokemon and it's hard to stop thinking about it. Well, if you are at least average this will happen. If you really aren't that good, this probably won't happen. IDK give it a shot but don't get sucked in. Leave while you can still remain innocent. Everything the above posters said.

★ Mr. Mime ★

Man of Mystery
It's really not as severe as some people are making it seem.

Competitive battling is very fun once you understand the mechanics and have all the tools to efficiently train your Pokemon (Pokerus/Power Items). It can be a little time consuming but once you know what you're doing it will only take you about an hour to fully EV train a Pokemon and have it ready to battle competitively. Maybe even less if it doesn't need to reach a level like in the 80 - 100 range to learn a move. Once you have a team and run through a few matches you'll start learning new strategies and start finding ones that work for you.

It's really not all that hard to get into and isn't as scary as some people make it seem with the talk of long hours, addiction, and whatnot.

IAintObeezy

Ban this Trainer
I'll be honest... I've gotten into competitive battling in so much as I chase good IV'ed pokemon, train EVs, and play strategies online. Here are my personal pros and cons:

Pros:
+It is a really quick and easy and fun to pass time battling on Wi-Fi.

+It gives you a better insight into moves and strategies you'd never use before.

+You get a better understanding and insight into individual pokemon and what their real strengths and weaknsesses are.

Cons:
-My actual enjoyment of the games has decreased dramatically. I don't enjoy just regular playthroughs as much as I used to because my brain is just obsessed with arbitrary nonsense like making sure my attack-oriented pokemon beats pokemon that give it ATK EVs, etc. I honestly miss just naively playing through a game story.

-Playing competitively can be insanely repetitive (seeing the EXACT SAME pokemon and strategies over and over and over again)

-Competitive players tend to be VERY judgmental about how you play (I've heard people say outright that people who play on Wi-Fi don't know anything; others just ignore anyone who ply a tier or a style (like Triples) that they don't care about.

That's just a quick run down of my thoughts, anyway.

Listen to this guy.

NotQuiteSane42

Professional Cynic
I asked myself the same questions and came to a conclusion: No, I don't want to go through all that work for Pokemon. And that's why I play on Pokemon Online, a battle simulator. Choose all your EV's and stuff, make the perfect team and still get all the strategic fun, but you don't have to lift a finger.

windsong

WEST SIDE
**** man don't do it

like it will literally eat your life away and you'll never be able to quit

if you want to know more about this find information on former serebii moderators lizardman and blue harvest, who spent a recorded 35162 hours playing the game in the last year alone

I regret getting into competitive battling because in my opinion it takes the fun out of the game, and i feel like i can't use my pokemon the way i want to. Now, i will definitely agree with Sid87's earlier post, competitive battling gives you a great insight into what the strengths and weaknesses are to your pokemon and can help in formulating great strategies. I'm not really heavily invested into competitive battling as i didn't really get into it until Pokemon Battle Revolution (keep in mind i've been playing Pokemon since it came out). Ev training, egg moves, etc. all are time consuming but it does pay off if you're like me and want to tackle the PWT and the Battle Subway which is much, much easier. I'm not going to be the person to challenge people online, though i have this generation and currently sport a 12-0 record (3 of those wins involving the person forfeiting on their last pokemon). Personally, i would say if you want to dominate the PWT it's worth it, but if you want to just play people on wifi it gets kind of boring and repetitive, but once again, perceptions differ on the subject. I recommend personally making sure you have many of the same kinds of pokemon. I have my EV trained pokemon and then i have those i play for fun. Now i will say some competitive pokemon are really enjoyable to use in the regular game. One of my favorites right now is Skill Link Cloyster or Technician Breloom.

**** man don't do it

if you want to know more about this find information on former serebii moderators lizardman and blue harvest, who spent a recorded 35162 hours playing the game in the last year alone

I can confirm this as true. It also made lizardman (gamefreak on these forums) punch a hole in a hotel wall.

**** man don't do it

Blue Harvest is great. The greatest in fact.

Comp Pokemon is fun for the first few months but once you actually become relatively good you will look back at what you have become and realize Pokemon is no longer fun anymore. Good luck playing in game when you know your Squirtle is ****ing Adamant. Grease stains don't wash out easily folks.

Honus

Ask yourself one question, OP...

"Do you like having a keyboard stained with dorito cheese while raging at innocent ladder players for scald burning your Skarmory?"

If yes, play the game, if no, then move on and don't play competitive Pokemon.

Comp Pokemon is fun for the first few months but once you actually become relatively good you will look back at what you have become and realize Pokemon is no longer fun anymore. Good luck playing in game when you know your Squirtle is ****ing Adamant. Grease stains don't wash out easily folks.

Pfft, I just got done playing through Ruby and HeartGold and loved it. It's funny, actually. Once I started getting bored with competitive stuff, in-game stuff started being fun again. I stopped worrying about natures and EVs altogether, although level grinding hasn't got any easier (especially in HeartGold, I've got a long way to go before I can beat Red).

Status
Not open for further replies.