• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Words and phrases that annoy you

T5000X

Indivijul
"Lol" when spoken aloud by people.

Blazekickblaziken

Snarktastic Ditz
"Free market" I feel like the only people who are for a completely free market, have no sense of how it would function.

"sheeple" When ever people use this, I want to punch them in the face. For one, non-conformity for the sake of non-conformity is just as bad as conformity for it's own sake.

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

It's a cute enough phrase, but the people that like to use it the most are usually naive and self righteous Utopians. I remember when it was all over my facebook when Osama Bin Laden was iced by navy seal team 6, and all the moral crusaders were up in a frenzy that calice, barbaric Americans were celebrating another persons death. Instances like that among others just make me think "Oh shutup" whenever I hear it.

The Hiker king

Non Sequitur
"Up a crick without a paddle" - makes you sound like a hillbilly.

"Reverse racism' - it implies that only white people can be racists.

Any sentence with the words "YOLO" and/or "swag". Although I must admit, I think I may have contributed to the introduction of these two as I heavily used them to annoy my fellow players on a few online games years ago...

-Yolo
-Swag
-Guesstimate
-Yo
-Dope *Yo that's dope, YOLO!*
-ratchet
-gucci

Gloryus

Where's Wally?

Mr. Timn

with an "n"!
i never really got the phrase 'word to the wise.' it's the stupid people that need a word of advice, not the wise ones haha.

epicdrill

This entire list, plus YOLO and SWAG:
  • "ratchet" / "ghetto" / any other loaded word or phrase holding racial connotations
  • any word people use to try to shame sexual freedom
  • the shorter of the B swear words
  • "reverse racism"
  • "family values"
  • "negative freedom"
  • "gold standard"
  • "not all men"

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
Another quote that I've seen abused in the signatures of these forums is that stupid line elite four Karen says about stong and weak pokemon, bleh.

Murder Doll

Button Presser
Ratchet, I'm not sure who thought it was cool, or who thought to give it the meaning it's been given, it just seems so horribly stupid and it makes me sad that humanity has to deal with the users of that term being a part of it.

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
  • "reverse racism"
  • "family values"
  • "negative freedom"
  • "gold standard"
  • "not all men"

Many of these terms are considered <ideographs> by McGee as popularized by the Iowa rhetoric school. Basically, the idea is when a term is loaded with meaning that can be morally and politically divisive. So, these phrases are common in a sort of "buzz terms" way. Anyway, I'm just labeling (not critiquing) what you're mentioning because those terms are quite interesting to discuss.

On a similar, academic note: a lot of academic writing (specifically humanities and argumentative writing) features the phrase, "the ways in which." This phrase really bothers me because it's mostly used to signify intelligence rather than bolster an argument. For the most part, "how" can replace it. When writing my thesis, I made certain to never include that phrase because it annoyed me so much.

shadcat1206

in the shadows i lie
Absolutely hate anyone who uses # in every sentence

#HATE PEOPLE WHO USE#

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
For some strange reason, I really hate it when people put asterisks around a word for emphasis. One could just as easily put the text in bold or italics, or put it in all capital letters. Putting a word in asterisks, like *this*, makes it seem like they're typing a Youtube comment, because that's how you make text bold in a Youtube comment. I've also seen this a bit in video game text, which further irks me.

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
Not really a word, but if you ever use ":3", I will hate you forever

The word " libertarian " also irks me, given that it was originally meant to refer to anarcho-communists, not the free market enthusiasts who call themselves libertarians today

Chalis

Victorious
The symbol ~ being overused
Lol spoken aloud
Swag
Yolo
Hashtags
Man, I could go on forever.