• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Words and phrases that annoy you

Canada

Banned
Pretty much the opposite of the favorite word thread. Which words or phrases do you really dislike?

Ninfia-Fan

Retard/Retarded/Retardation. I understand that retardation has connections to medical conditions and all that, but I've heard that word be used so much in insults that it bugs me to no end. Especially because I have a brother who has Cerebral Palsy, of an extreme kind, and could be considered 'retarded'. I also feel a connection to other people who might be deemed 'retarded' because of him.

Edit:
To the person who gave me a good rep, thanks. I mean it, too.

Last edited:

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Do gaming related phrases count? If so, I've got two.

"Please Understand"
-Satoru Iwata

"The cake is a lie"
-People who still thinks it's funny

rosso

DEAD ACCOUNT
Most, if not all of the broken english that is being spouted ridiculously today.
But to be on topic:

"You're so ratchet" is probably the one that irks me the most - this generation..is just...poop..

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
i don't even know what the hell "ratchet" is supposed to mean and i dislike it already

I wish I didn't know what "ratchet" means, but unfortunately I do. Ratchet is one of the most ridiculous words I've ever heard.

Canto

This is gonna sound really stupid, but the phrase "rough and tumble" has always bothered me. Probably because (as far as I am aware) tumble is NOT. A. FREAKING. ADJECTIVE.

Rinni

Hero of the Storm
i don't even know what the hell "ratchet" is supposed to mean and i dislike it already

Me too. Weird. But I'm always a little behind when it comes to the new phases and phrases.

Need I say more than YOLO? I can't stand it!

KumaPanda

Psyduck is cute <3
Retard/Retarded/Retardation. I understand that retardation has connections to medical conditions and all that, but I've heard that word be used so much in insults that it bugs me to no end. Especially because I have a brother who has Cerebral Palsy, of an extreme kind, and could be considered 'retarded'. I also feel a connection to other people who might be deemed 'retarded' because of him.

Edit:
To the person who gave me a good rep, thanks. I mean it, too.

I can relate to this as I have a brother with Recessive Autism. His autism is bad enough that he can't even talk and he was lucky to be able to walk. Really bugs me. Middle school was the worse because it suddenly became a trend for students to use the word "retarded" as an insult. I hate it when people assume my brother is faking it for special attention when he's been like that his whole life.

I hate the word YOLO and swag. It's just stupid and it makes no sense to me... It doesn't help that my state has a county called Yolo. YES. It's real!

Rinni

Hero of the Storm
I can relate to this as I have a brother with Recessive Autism. His autism is bad enough that he can't even talk and he was lucky to be able to walk. Really bugs me. Middle school was the worse because it suddenly became a trend for students to use the word "retarded" as an insult. I hate it when people assume my brother is faking it for special attention when he's been like that his whole life.

I hate the word YOLO and swag. It's just stupid and it makes no sense to me... It doesn't help that my state has a county called Yolo. YES. It's real!

Wow, some people can be so disrespectful. I'm sorry your bro had to go through that. :(

But oh my gosh a county named Yolo? Wow, would never have thought. I think Yolo caught on so much because young people thought they could get away with anything since hey, "You only live once", but there are always consequences to irrational behaviour. Swag is just as annoying I agree. I am kind of glad I finished school years ago so I don't have to put up with these trends nowadays. I don't think I'd have the patience for it.

Eeveelution

Requiem's Eclipse

Hopelessly Hopeful
Any word other than Drunk or Wasted to describe when a person is drunk. What does sauced even mean? I want to know why sauced can mean drunk...I still won't like the word.

Other standard words I have an aversion to simply because of the way it sounds in my mouth are words like moist and bundt as in bundt cake.

thunder2910

Loves pizza
YOLO and SWAG they make not sense to me at all and I guess some people will never realise where SWAG originated from and what it really means

Like 'OMG you have so much swag' -__-

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
"You reap what you sow."

This is all I've been hearing from our professors about finals week since 2010. Ugh, think of something new to say!

ShachonianX

Spheal Lord
"He/she be wowin'!" I swear, this is so annoying. I hear it in school just enough to drive me crazy. Also, WHAT DOES IT EVEN MEAN?

John Madden

resident policy guy
  • "ratchet" / "ghetto" / any other loaded word or phrase holding racial connotations
  • any word people use to try to shame sexual freedom
  • the shorter of the B swear words
  • "reverse racism"
  • "family values"
  • "negative freedom"
  • "gold standard"
  • "not all men"