• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Words!

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
So, I love words. All words (except for moist and stinky, those are banned). This is a thread to discuss words, their meanings, origins, what you like about them, crossword puzzles, word trivia, anything!

I’ll start:
Most of my favorite words deal with light, darkness, and space.
Intergalactic, galaxy, interstellar, stellar, void, radiant, brilliant, bioluminescent, dimension, spatial,
Other ones:
Unironic/unironically (this is an actual word, regardless of what spellcheck says), ally, nucleus, horizon, nitro, dream, omnipotent

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Is talking about your favorite word games allowed in thread?

Been having a blast with Letterquest Remastered lately. Been working on making longer words in game.

Got a new copy of Scrabble awhile back, but I just haven't found the time to play it.

Teravolt

Is talking about your favorite word games allowed in thread?

Been having a blast with Letterquest Remastered lately. Been working on making longer words in game.

Got a new copy of Scrabble awhile back, but I just haven't found the time to play it.
Fine by me! Scrabble is great. Mom’s a lot better at it than I am, though.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
All words (except for moist and stinky, those are banned).
Why? The latter is the word most common used to, well, describe something that does not smell so good. The former I think I can get (or that might just be the dirty part of my mind, who knows?) but still, most people ain't gonna use the word "damp" to desrcibe something that is "slightly wet" in one word. Especially when damp is specifically for "slightly wet air", not slightly wet things. Well, supposed to be anyway. People will use some words not as intended and thus new meanings will come up if it becomes widespread. Like a lot of slang.

Yeah I went on a bit of a rant and everyone has their preferences but still. Very curious why.

As for me though, I think I'll mention that I have plenty of words I like, but the first one that comes to mind is defenestration, which means "to throw someone out he window". Yes, there is actaully a word for that specific action and I love it.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Fine by me! Scrabble is great. Mom’s a lot better at it than I am, though.
Cool.

Don't really have any favorite words myself, but I do like learning about words.

Teravolt

Why? The latter is the word most common used to, well, describe something that does not smell so good. The former I think I can get (or that might just be the dirty part of my mind, who knows?) but still, most people ain't gonna use the word "damp" to desrcibe something that is "slightly wet" in one word. Especially when damp is specifically for "slightly wet air", not slightly wet things. Well, supposed to be anyway. People will use some words not as intended and thus new meanings will come up if it becomes widespread. Like a lot of slang.

Yeah I went on a bit of a rant and everyone has their preferences but still. Very curious why.

As for me though, I think I'll mention that I have plenty of words I like, but the first one that comes to mind is defenestration, which means "to throw someone out he window". Yes, there is actaully a word for that specific action and I love it.
“Uh-oh, Stinky” has become a meme around my school and elsewhere. It reminds me of DeviantArt and I HATE IT
also defenestration is now my new favorite word thank you so much

SummerHaze

sounds interesting. English is my second language and I learn new words every single day but I'm still bad at writing. I found an article how to improve essay writing skills. Hope with its help my writings will get better.

Last edited:

Morax

King of heroes
I've always been intrigued by mythologies and creation myths. One of my favourite words is Brahmāṇḍa which is the word for universe in the hindu epics.

Here's a bit of trivia if anybody cares :

Brahmāṇḍa (ब्रह्माण्ड).—The word Brahmāṇḍa means the egg of Brahmā, the Supreme Being which is the root of the origin of the universe. A time long ago, which is beyond reckoning, there was nothing but an egg. This egg was split into two and from it a male child with the radiance of innumerable suns came out. This wonderful child was helpless. After his birth he cried for a while, because of hunger and thirst. He got no help. There was nobody to feed it. So this wonderful child looked up and lay there. This helpless child was called 'Virāṭpuruṣa' (the next emanation from Brahmā) by those versed in the Purāṇas. The boy was so called because he was the most material of materiality. But he was an atom of atoms and the first figuration of God. From each pore of the skin of the great virāṭ, who was the base of all the worlds a universe came into being. Thus all the countless universes were born. Each universe has its own trinity of Brahmā, Viṣṇu, Śiva and devas (the bright ones), the protectors of the eight zones. One universe comprises fourteen worlds or realms, from Pātāla to the Brahmaloka (from the nether world to the upper world or the realm of Brahmā). Countless such universes exist. Over and above all these universes there is Vaikuṇṭha, and above Vaikuṇṭha there is another world with an area of fifty crore yojanas (leagues), called 'Goloka' (the world of cow). Only the two worlds Vaikuṇṭha and the Goloka are eternal. Bhūloka (the earth) consists of seven islands and sixty-four peninsulas. There are seven worlds above and seven worlds below. The seven upper worlds are Bhūloka, Bhuvarloka, Svarloka, Janaloka, Tapoloka. Satyaloka and Brahmaloka. Thus a universe consists of fourteen worlds

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
More words I think are cool/that I like:

Quisling - a person who helps an enemy that has taken control of his or her country. Aka a more specific instance of traitor.

Mondegreen - a word or phrase that results from a mishearing of something said or sung. Aka a word for misheard lyrics.

Shenanigan - a devious trick used especially for an underhand purpose. Aka what I like to say for schemes.

I especially like mondegreen for the same reason I like defenestration: I can't believe such a word exists for that instance and is just what I need.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
More words I think are cool/that I like:

Quisling - a person who helps an enemy that has taken control of his or her country. Aka a more specific instance of traitor.

Mondegreen - a word or phrase that results from a mishearing of something said or sung. Aka a word for misheard lyrics.

Shenanigan - a devious trick used especially for an underhand purpose. Aka what I like to say for schemes.

I especially like mondegreen for the same reason I like defenestration: I can't believe such a word exists for that instance and is just what I need.
and mondegreen is something that nowadays you'd be more likely to go through than defenestration......hopefully

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Can I just say I love the word flabbergasted? I mean it's just so exaggerated that it just sounds hilarious rather than dramatic and I love that