• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Work Experience! Around the Clock with the Pokémon Center! (1011)

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
The other characters do get butt monkey moments (Lillie and Sophocles had screw up moments in this episode), just Ash gets the lion's share of spotlight (hence they don't get as many competent moments as him either). I do agree it should be more balanced, but to do that you need to focus more on the companions in the first place.

Ash being the one to spearhead Zipp healing Garbador (while everyone else was wary around him at first) I thought was a decent redeemer anyway.

Again, episode that focus's on being a pokemon center nurse.

That Garbador moment was the turning point and the reason this filler episode even gotten the 6.5 to me. It isn't a special episode period, but it has enjoyable moments.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Ash crossdressing was one of the better parts of this episode, and the girls reactions lol. He's such a cute girl and they totally flipped his skirt up and took pictures that you can see at the end of the episode :p
Mallow's cat face, as someone mentioned, was adorable. I need to see her win a pokemon battle and then use that face :D

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
That's why I called it 'one of the most embarrasing moments'. But let's be real, Ash in this episode looked far worse than the one above:
I think you don't really see those kind of stuffs in your society. In my hometown, there's a neighborhood for the LGBT community so I'm seeing those kind of stuffs occasionally and it didn't really bother me.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I think you don't really see those kind of stuffs in your society. In my hometown, there's a neighborhood for the LGBT community so I'm seeing those kind of stuffs occasionally and it didn't really bother me.

Please, stop this dumb comparison of anime with real life, man.

This is an anime, and an adventure show. How many anime male protagonists of an adventure show do you recall being the centre of slapstick to this extent that he cross dresses up as a girl? The protagonists of adventure show are always supposed to have some heroic stature and personality. Yes, they obviously should have slapstick and light-hearted moment for the sake of comic relief, but it should be nowhere near the excessive slapstick SM fillers always tend to make Ash go through.

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi

This is an anime, and an adventure show. How many anime male protagonists of an adventure show do you recall being the centre of slapstick to this extent that he cross dresses up as a girl? The protagonists of adventure are always supposed to have some heroic stature and personality. Yes, they obviously should have slapstick and light-hearted moment for the sake of comic relief, but it should be nowhere near the excessive slapstick SM fillers always tend to make Ash go through.

I don't know about you but when I watch the anime I don't put too much thought about it. I just watch, give some quick impressions and be done with the episodes, that's it. To me, the anime is just a spare time to relax.

If the episodes are interesting then I might watch certain part of the episodes more than once, otherwise it's just too bad and I moved on. I refuse to depend on the producers/writers to satisfy me, that's why my expectations are pretty much nonexistent.

DatsRight

I truthfully think Ash gets more personality BECAUSE he's a goofy butt monkey. He's more emotive, and in spite of things not always going right for him, it almost never seems to bring him down for very long at all. He remains extremely positive and willing.

Not to mention it plays on his reputation. Ash feels like a guy that's supposed to be underestimated. He's never won a league or gained much of a noteworthy title and spends a lot of the time acting like a buffoonish kid, which makes it's more dumbfounding when he does something incredibly smart or formidable.

It's not like he spends the whole cartoon being nothing but a loser anyway, in fact just as many fans complain Ash is the only companion that gets to do much competent. I prefer him a capable butt monkey over an untarnished prop like Mallow or a damsel in distress like Lillie.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian

This is an anime, and an adventure show. How many anime male protagonists of an adventure show do you recall being the centre of slapstick to this extent that he cross dresses up as a girl? The protagonists of adventure are always supposed to have some heroic stature and personality. Yes, they obviously should have slapstick and light-hearted moment for the sake of comic relief, but it should be nowhere near the excessive slapstick SM fillers always tend to make Ash go through.

I can recall several episodes of Dragon Ball with Goku cross dressing. Seriously, it's just a gag. You're acting as if a bit of cross dressing is the end of the world or something. It's just some clothes, it's really not a big deal.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
This is an anime, and an adventure show. How many anime male protagonists of an adventure show do you recall being the centre of slapstick to this extent that he cross dresses up as a girl?

Cross-dressing has happened in other shounen anime before and no one really bats an eye. It's comedy. If you like it or not, it's up to you.

The protagonists of adventure are always supposed to have some heroic stature and personality.

No they aren't.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Cross-dressing has happened in other shounen anime before and no one really bats an eye. It's comedy. If you like it or not, it's up to you.
You mean cross dressing into a girl? I guess I overgeneralized a bit since I haven't watched too many other anime adventure shows like you, but amongst the ones I've watched, I don't recall any other anime than Pokemon where cross dressing into a girl happened.

I'm not saying that slapstick/comedy isn't required in an adventure show. It obviously is. To provide some comic relief, to provide some light-hearted moments, and as a result providing some relief from the serious intense action that most of the times happen in an adventure show, it is required. But when the slapstick comedy happens this much in an adventure show like that the male protagonists cross dresses into a girl or so, then I think that just crosses the limits of an adventure show and reaches the level of a comedy show, like Tom and Jerry.

No they aren't.
By what logic? The protagonists of adventure shows are pretty much entitled most of the times to do some magnificent and heroic deeds, so how would it suit them if they don't have a heroic stature and personality?

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
You mean cross dressing into a girl? I guess I overgeneralized a bit since I haven't watched too many other anime adventure shows like you, but amongst the ones I've watched, I don't recall any other anime than Pokemon where cross dressing into a girl happened.

I'm not saying that slapstick/comedy isn't required in an adventure show. It obviously is. To provide some comic relief, to provide some light-hearted moments, and as a result providing some relief from the serious intense action that most of the times happen in an adventure show, it is required. But when the slapstick comedy happens this much in an adventure show like that the male protagonists cross dresses into a girl or so, then I think that just crosses the limits of an adventure show and reaches the level of a comedy show, like Tom and Jerry.

By what logic? The protagonists of adventure shows are pretty much entitled most of the times to do some magnificent and heroic deeds, so how would it suit them if they don't have a heroic stature and personality?
You admitted yourself that you have not seen that many adventure anime, so you aren't really in a position to make any claims about what the protagonist of an adventure anime should or shouldn't be. I've seen quite a few adventure anime where the protagonists do not do magnificent and heroic deeds—in fact, where the supporting cast is more heroic and magnificent than the protagonist.

Ash cross-dressing at least once a series is a gag that has been around since OS. Frankly, I thought this iteration of the gag was pretty funny—not only because Ash was so embarrassed, but because it showed the girls' mischievous side, and it's always nice to see more characterization shown.

It's not as though Ash exists solely to be the victim of slapstick humor and nothing else. Remember, he was the one who realized why Zipp was lurking around the Pokémon Center, and he was the one who forced the dude to go in and have his Pokémon treated. Even though Team Skull are troublemakers, and had just caused trouble for him that morning, he was more concerned about the well-being of Garbador than about his beef with Team Skull. Does that not seem the least bit heroic to you?

It's not as though Ash is the only victim of slapstick humor. Lillie and Sophocles both suffered for the sake of humor in this episode. Lillie tripped up out of nervousness, when she otherwise had no reason to. Sophocles struggled with the stinky buckets. And neither of them have as many heroic, magnificent moments as Ash does to make up for the times when they are the victims of slapstick humor.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu

As I claimed earlier, this is about your own sense of humour. You might not like cross-dressing as a joke but that doesn't mean that the protagonists are being demoted as characters because of it. By that logic, the writers themselves who are making these jokes should hate their characters. Also, SM is mainly a comedy and slice of life show with some action elements implemented in it unlike with the last series which had more action and a more serious tone.

There are adventure shows where the protagonists are either the villains themselves or just doing stuff for their own personal interest. Not every protagonist is your 'typical hero who saves the day from the bad guys'.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
As I claimed earlier, this is about your own sense of humour. You might not like cross-dressing as a joke but that doesn't mean that the protagonists are being demoted as characters because of it. By that logic, the writers themselves who are making these jokes should hate their characters. Also, SM is mainly a comedy and slice of life show with some action elements implemented in it unlike with the last series which had more action and a more serious tone.
Notice that I also mentioned that it was basically my own view (I never even claimed that it what I said was a fact). But yeah, I do feel like that while slapstick moments are required in a adventure show, for the sake of comic relief and light-hearted moments amidst all the serious and intense action happening most of the time, there needs to be a limit upto where the slapstick can go in an adventure show. If the slapstick is really this much severe like the male protagonists cross dressing into a girl, or something of that ilk, then I do think that does demote the character of the protagonist somewhat, especially for a protagonist who performs heroic deeds or has a heroic stature. Which isn't probably befitting of them, the protagonists of adventure shows, but rather, the protagonists of comedy shows.

And I agree that SM is more of a light-hearted and comedy focused with some action implemented into it, but then again, the Pokemon anime as a whole, is more adventure than comic. Since the OS series, which was also of comedy and gags, the Pokemon anime has taken a more serious approach gradually, from AG to XY, being primarily a adventure show than a comedy show. So the sudden tone change in SM will obviously feel a bit unusual and the increasing slapstick in the filler episodes would obviously seem more cringeworthy to some viewers since they are used to a more serious approach in the previous series'.

That being said, I do think that SM anime has been overall pretty good so far. There have been many SM episodes so far which I've given 8/10, 9/10 and 10/10. It's just that they sometimes tend to overdo the slapstick too much and focus most of it on Ash during fillers.

There are adventure shows where the protagonists are either the villains themselves or just doing stuff for their own personal interest. Not every protagonist is your 'typical hero who saves the day from the bad guys'.

Notice that by adventure shows I only meant adventure show animes. An adventure show anime where the protagonist doesn't do anything heroic or magnificent deeds or so?

I presume you were referring to anti-hero type characters like Seto Kaiba, but even in that case there is a main protagonist of the show who has a typical heroic stature.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I could be a minority in this but cross dressing episodes doesn't really bother me. I mean it was uneeded sure but they're supposedly 10 year olds and this is supposedly a 10 year old show so in my head I guess a younger me could of found it funny that Ash wore a dress and Rotom and Mallow saved it to embarrass him. I wouldn't really know if this counts as a "cross dressing" but Naruto is a Shonen anime that frequently had him changing into a full blown woman and people found that funny.

Last edited:

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Notice that I also mentioned that it was basically my own view (I never even claimed that it what I said was a fact). But yeah, I do feel like that while slapstick moments are required in a adventure show, for the sake of comic relief and light-hearted moments amidst all the serious and intense action happening most of the time, there needs to be a limit upto where the slapstick can go in an adventure show. If the slapstick is really this much severe like the male protagonists cross dressing into a girl, or something of that ilk, then I do think that does demote the character of the protagonist somewhat, especially for a protagonist who performs heroic deeds or has a heroic stature. Which isn't probably befitting of them, the protagonists of adventure shows, but rather, the protagonists of comedy shows.

And I agree that SM is more of a light-hearted and comedy focused with some action implemented into it, but then again, the Pokemon anime as a whole, is more adventure than comic. Since the OS series, which was also of comedy and gags, the Pokemon anime has taken a more serious approach gradually, from AG to XY, being primarily a adventure show than a comedy show. So the sudden tone change in SM will obviously feel a bit unusual and the increasing slapstick in the filler episodes would obviously seem more cringeworthy to some viewers since they are used to a more serious approach in the previous series'.

That being said, I do think that SM anime has been overall pretty good so far. There have been many SM episodes so far which I've given 8/10, 9/10 and 10/10. It's just that they sometimes tend to overdo the slapstick too much and focus most of it on Ash during fillers.

Fair enough but still you don't need to take the whole thing seriously when the show itself doesn't try to be serious in the first place.

Notice that by adventure shows I only meant adventure show animes. An adventure show anime where the protagonist doesn't do anything heroic or magnificent deeds or so?

I presume you were referring to anti-hero type characters like Seto Kaiba, but even in that case there is a main protagonist of the show who has a typical heroic stature.

No there are shows where the main characters don't have a heroic stature and yeah I'm still talking about adventure shows. They are just rarer.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian

Yes. In Dragon Ball Goku cross dresses into a girl and in a later episode actually goes full on naked in the middle of a tournament arena surrounded by hundreds of people in the audience. Not to underwear, just totally naked. Twice. And that's a comedic action/adventure anime.

Regardless, I think you're the only one who actually seems to think that cross-dressing is actually something severely humiliating or going very far. I don't think it's severe at all, it's just clothes. It looks silly but so does the proverbial cake to the face.

It's of course a matter of taste, but I personally prefer shows where they can make fun of their main characters or of their own show. It's part of the reason why I don't like XY very much, it was too formulaic and just didn't really seem to have new fun, whenever it tried humour it was almost always the same with Clemont blowing up an invention or Bonnie trying to hook him up with the girl character of the week, usually with the exact same lines every time, so much to the point where I wondered if they just reused their voice audio across all those episodes. There wasn't much variation there.

Last edited:

DatsRight

I don't mind the slapstick nature. The only key problem is that they sometimes single out Ash for it (though not always, the companions only have it relatively better, and believe me, I know far more blatant examples of shows where one character is singled out for abuse, sometimes even when the other characters deserve it more).

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I don't mind the slapstick nature. The only key problem is that they sometimes single out Ash for it (though not always, the companions only have it relatively better, and believe me, I know far more blatant examples of shows where one character is singled out for abuse, sometimes even when the other characters deserve it more).
And I don't even think that's the case. I just think some people LOOK for Ash to have buttmonkey moments to call it out. Honestly the most ridiculous thing on the show (for me personally) came from my favorite character Lillie. In "Family Determination" I thought it was incredibly stupid how she thought the missing bridge in Poni Canyon was invesiable and the only was to uncover it was by throwing sand on it. I'm surprised that didn't receive major backlash honestly

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I think in a lot of ways it's part of Ash's character to end up in situations where he gets hurt. He's impatient and runs into new adventures without a second thought, and sometimes his lack of experience in the particular field and reckless nature ends up getting him hurt. Ash just doesn't really care too much about that, it's his way of learning. Characters like Lillie are simply not as reckless so they naturally don't get hit as much either. I think they should make more fun of other characters, especially Lana, but I don't think they should do it in the same was as they do it with Ash. I think the ways they do it with Kiawe or Rotom are usually pretty good.

DatsRight

And I don't even think that's the case. I just think some people LOOK for Ash to have buttmonkey moments to call it out. Honestly the most ridiculous thing on the show (for me personally) came from my favorite character Lillie. In "Family Determination" I thought it was incredibly stupid how she thought the missing bridge in Poni Canyon was invesiable and the only was to uncover it was by throwing sand on it. I'm surprised that didn't receive major backlash honestly

I think they were playing on the fact Lillie was book smart but not life smart, a complete contrast to Ash who bungles in general knowledge, but is the one most capable and serious in a dangerous situation. It was playing on a flaw, which I liked.

Lillie hadn't really had an adventure on her own beforehand and a lot of more distressing situations of the series had her inactive or as a damsel in distress, so she had a rather clueless over romanticised depiction of how an adventure is (though in fairness there have been weirder situations and fantasies happen in the anime, she just assumed the wrong one).

It was an interesting twist how quickly Ash and the others caught up with Lillie and Gladion, though not unbelievable because of this factor.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I think they were playing on the fact Lillie was book smart but not life smart, a complete contrast to Ash who bungles in general knowledge, but is the one most capable and serious in a dangerous situation. It was playing on a flaw, which I liked.

Lillie hadn't really had an adventure on her own beforehand and a lot of more distressing situations of the series had her inactive or as a damsel in distress, so she had a rather clueless over romanticised depiction of how an adventure is (though in fairness there have been weirder situations and fantasies happen in the anime, she just assumed the wrong one).

It was an interesting twist how quickly Ash and the others caught up with Lillie and Gladion, though not unbelievable because of this factor.
I still didn't like how they made her unbelievably stupid in the scene to show she's not travel smart. I doubt any of the characters in the school have been on a real journey and I wouldn't expect them to think that. In fact I think the only one closest to traveling is Gladion. While it's true there have been supernatural occurences in the anime, none haven't really occurred in SM so it just seemed off putting. I get your point however.