• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Work for 4Kids?!

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Considering you need a Bachelor's Degree to apply for this, in addition to 5-7 years of experience in a management position, that leaves 95% of this forum out.

The Pokemon dub is already a great dub, it just needs more of the original music. Otherwise the show is 90% identical to the original judging by the edit list Dogasu makes. :/

PDL

disenchanted
I'd love to... but I don't have a bachlor's degree or 5 to 7+ years of working experience D:

and if I wanted to work at 4kids, I'd want to be one of their voice actors...

Chris

Old Coot
What the show also needs is MORE VOICE ACTORS. Talented ones. We don't need the same few people doing various roles. It also needs someone who actually translates the scripts properly and has an idea of Pokémon. The amount of mistakes and dialogue stupidity is unforgivable. :| They've been dubbing the show since 1999 and they STILL can't get some ofthese things right.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I'd love to be a VA for them. That would rock.

Especially because, unlike most dubbing companies, they pay their voice talent quite well.

Chris

Old Coot
Of course they do. They make a ton of money off of merchandising. o_O; Unfortunately, that money goes to people doing poor dubs. One Piece, is a perfect example.

Angel-FoX-crescent

Moon Fennec Angel
EvilKeckleon said:
I'd love to... but I don't have a bachlor's degree or 5 to 7+ years of working experience D:

and if I wanted to work at 4kids, I'd want to be one of their voice actors...

I would love to do this but it sounds a heck of a lot of work and managing to keep up to. Plus I'm planing to go to Uni to do some thing else.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Though I've got my heart set on being a professional cartoonist, it'd be interesting to think about working at 4Kids. Of course, my attempts to set 'em on the right track would probably be in vain, but if I got into the position of thinking up dub titles for the episodes, I'd be golden.

Still, Alfred R. Kahn would still be at the helm, and I don't think you can ever be really happy at a job where you constantly wish a meteor would fall out of the sky and flatten your boss.

Edward Elric said:
What the show also needs is MORE VOICE ACTORS. Talented ones. We don't need the same few people doing various roles. It also needs someone who actually translates the scripts properly and has an idea of Pokémon. The amount of mistakes and dialogue stupidity is unforgivable. :| They've been dubbing the show since 1999 and they STILL can't get some ofthese things right.

And they wouldn't need to relocate to either Los Angeles or Texas. There are many more voice actors in the Northeast compared to who 4Kids usually hire, many of whom work on dubs at NYAV. The pool NYAV uses is almost as big and almost as talented as the pool other studios use like Animaze, Industrial Smoke and Mirrors, and FUNimation Studios. Though you do have a point that after all this time the dubbing would have improved. In fact, from what I remembered, the dubbing is actually worse than the first season.

If I were to work in the anime industry, 4Kids would probably on the bottom of my list. Geneon would be at the top of my list. That is if I were to work in the anime industry. I don't think a Mechanical Engineering degree would be of much help there.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Edward Elric said:
Of course they do. They make a ton of money off of merchandising. o_O; Unfortunately, that money goes to people doing poor dubs. One Piece, is a perfect example.

What merchendising? The only stuff I've seen their logo on is the TMNT toys. I've never seen a Pokémon toy with their logo on it.

Chris

Old Coot
Anime, Blackjack. o_O They make a profit off of the anime.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
And the DVDs. The Pokemon DVDs are compiled by Viz and 4kids, while most of their other anime is put to DVD by FUNimation. I'd like to assume that they profit off their DVDs.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Aaaah, those. When I think of merchendising, I think of toys and stuff.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
working for 4kids eh? well considering the fact that im only 16 years old, i doubt im up for the position. but still, i agree that they need more VAs. all the filler characters look act AND sound exactly the same. at least give them different voices

Wes

Iblis Wings
Interesting. Well I do agree they should get more Varied VA's though some can improve much better then usual like the Sonic X VA's for Shadow The Hedgehog and fror the game Sonic Rush (I didn't play this one yet though). Then again....hearing Misty's voice form what I heard of Rush is also on Blaze so yeah they shoul have more varied VA's considering they cast the smae guy who does Max on pokemon do the new Charmy in Shadow...ahem bacsically I love the offer too I guess to try ot help 4KIDS become better.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
wait... if their merchandising isn't toys and stuff, then why exactly did the rush One Piece just to get Chopper to appear early?

Anyway, working at 4kids probably wouldn't do you any good, because Al Khan is obviously a stubborn f***tard who never listens to reason and only wishes to make anime fans suffer. I can bet you anything there're already several decent people working at 4kids who try to talk the higher-ups out of doing the inane things they do, but to no avail.

Personally, I wouldn't mind what they get away with if they only had the uncut versions available. I really can't complain much about the voicers... unlike the Japanese version, we can hardly expect any dubbing company to get a guest voicer for every individual filler character in Pokemon, so repetitiveness is just something we'd have to put up with in a case like that. And though their voice cast is horribly limitted, they can be pretty talented at times. It's been too long since I watched for me to comment, but I keep hearing nothing but good things about the beginning of the Pokemon dub, and though I have yet to play it, I also heard decent things about them in Shadow the Hedgehog, (apparently, not having 4kids's shoddy directors does these voices some good). I know, I couldn't personally comment on those two things, but there's one thing I can comment on: I loved the uncut Shaman King dub, even if the accents from the cut dub were still there (though, we can't really blame the voicers for those if they were influenced by the voice directors, and so long as they don't say stereotypical lines, which the uncut script's of course devoid of, they can sound pretty good even with the accents).

Chris

Old Coot
Yamato-san said:
wait... if their merchandising isn't toys and stuff, then why exactly did the rush One Piece just to get Chopper to appear early?
To force more ratings. They obviously want people to watch if they have a wise-cracking reigndeer on the show earlier than he should be. --;

Rex Kamex

Edward Elric said:
To force more ratings. They obviously want people to watch if they have a wise-cracking reigndeer on the show earlier than he should be. --;

You know, the funny thing is that as soon as Chopper officially joins the crew, One Piece is off the air on 4Kids TV for a few weeks.

PDL

disenchanted
MJC CartoGuy said:
You know, the funny thing is that as soon as Chopper officially joins the crew, One Piece is off the air on 4Kids TV for a few weeks.

good, because frankly, I can't stand 4Kids's rendition of it, plus another anime dubber will pick it up and dub it right this time...

oh, you mean for only a few weeks... well a guy can dream can he?

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
I'm working my way towards a degree at present but I'd still be more content with a job from that than a job from 4kids, I mean, at least it's reliable.

But in all honesty I would definitley consider it, I think it's meant to be a part time job anyway isn't? Considering Eric Stuart is a musician, song writer and whatever else he his I wouldn't have thought it would involve long hours.