• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

World of Warcraft - A relationship gone wrong.

Lord Scalgon

What title?
Link to the article here.

Although best-selling online role-playing game World of Warcraft boasts over ten million subscribers, it's also leaving in its wake an increasing list of casualties.

Even though she's never played the game, 28 year-old Jocelyn is one of the fallen. A well-spoken California resident, she divorced her husband of six years after he developed a crippling addiction to the smash online RPG.

"He would get home from work at 6:00, start playing at 6:30, and he'd play until three a.m. Weekends were worse -- it was from morning straight through until the middle of the night," she told Yahoo! Games in an interview. "It took away all of our time that we spent together. I ceased to exist in his life."

Jocelyn had been friends with her ex-husband Peter since the age of 13, but it took only nine months for her marriage to collapse.

"I bought the game for him for Christmas 2004, when it first came out. By May we had our first serious discussion about where our marriage was going, and by September I had moved out," she said.

Jocelyn recalled one particular incident that was typical of Peter's habits. "I had set aside 30 minutes for us to watch a television show together, and he couldn't. He was stuck on a raid, and completely failed to understand why I was upset," she said.

Peter's domestic duties also suffered. He stopped paying bills, she says, and refused to do his share of the housework.

Jocelyn doesn't hesitate to cite Warcraft as the main reason for her divorce and remains emotional about its impact on her marriage. "I'm real, and you're giving me up for a fantasy land. You're destroying your life, your six-year marriage, and you're giving it up for something that isn't even real."

Despite their differences, the couple remains friends, and although Peter still plays World of Warcraft, Jocelyn says he made an effort to cut down after their split.

A gamer herself, Jocelyn briefly worked for World of Warcraft developer Blizzard Entertainment, although not on the title that proved so damaging to her relationship. "I recognized that this was a game that would never end, and that's why I chose not to play it," she said.

"They build it in such a way that you have to keep putting more and more time into it to maintain your status. I remember thinking when I was married that it was downright exploitative to people who couldn't control themselves in that way. It's set up like a drug."

Asked if she would consider marrying another Warcraft player, Jocelyn laughed. "That's actually one of my primary criteria now -- I don't want to marry someone who is a gamer."

Wow, a divorce had to happen, didn't it? I used to game all day back when I was a professional gamer in Warcraft 3 (I wasn't in a relationship though, but I have been asked out many times). Though I don't game as much as usual, if I take this way too seriously, bad things could happen. As of today, I'm cutting back on gaming for college (come on, everyone has to do THAT)...

But still, I retain my passion as a gamer...well, I AM a gamer...

Even then, my high school popularity had to do with gaming (I know, kinda weird), so I can't abandon my pride in gaming.

Anyway, discuss.

At least he didn't set himself on fire.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
So now World of Warcraft not only causes suicides, but also divorces? This just keeps getting better. What's next, a war?

Anyway, I really don't care too much for MMORPGs in general so I can't speak for people that like them. But I've always been a gamer, and one of MY criteria for asking out is that the person I ask out IS a gamer.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Hmm, I would never play a game over my lover, no matter what game it is.

I don't know if the non internet WOW is any different to the MMRPOG, but I don't see why there is so much fuss over it, okay I like online games but not the extent of breaking a relationship.

danburite

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN
Not surprising. I went out on a date with a girl on Sunday, turns out her whole life revolved around Warcraft.
Every conversation ended up coming back to her Blood Elf Paladin, so it was pretty obvious that I wouldn't be able to compete unless I signed up to play too.

Video Games are great and all, but if they take priority over the real world, then there's a problem.