• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

World Tournament in different regions

Konja7

In the Episode 12, Lance is called the winner of the Drifveil (Hodomoe) City World Tournament.

Drifveil City is in Unnova region.

So, are the Pokemon World Tournaments held in different regions?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
That was a reference to the PWT in the games, something the anime originally passed over

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
It didn't pass over it, it just represented it with the "Pokemon World Tournament Junior Cup", which was basically the same thing as the Battle Frontier Glass Noisemaker Cup we just had a couple episodes ago - a random tournament they just slapped the name of something entirely unrelated from the games on.

...come to think of it, that's basically what the anime does with the Pokemon Leagues from the games, too.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
In the Episode 12, Lance is called the winner of the Drifveil (Hodomoe) City World Tournament.

Drifveil City is in Unnova region.

So, are the Pokemon World Tournaments held in different regions?
Makes sense for being held in different regions, to accomodate more league winners!

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Honestly, I'd take world tournaments happening across regions over Galar gyms any time of the day.

Unlikely to happen though.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
From my understanding Lance won the last WT and it took place in Driftveil, this one took place in Galar and Leon won it, the World Cup is not held in the same place every time.

No, the Pokemon World Tournament and the Pokemon World Championships are two different things, they just have annoyingly similar names. The Pokemon World Tournament is an actual thing in the games (B2W2), while the Pokemon World Championships seems to be named after the real world tournament of the same name.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
It didn't pass over it, it just represented it with the "Pokemon World Tournament Junior Cup", which was basically the same thing as the Battle Frontier Glass Noisemaker Cup we just had a couple episodes ago - a random tournament they just slapped the name of something entirely unrelated from the games on.

...come to think of it, that's basically what the anime does with the Pokemon Leagues from the games, too.
So basically, well no but actually yes.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
No, the Pokemon World Tournament and the Pokemon World Championships are two different things, they just have annoyingly similar names. The Pokemon World Tournament is an actual thing in the games (B2W2), while the Pokemon World Championships seems to be named after the real world tournament of the same name.
thats confusing tbh

Konja7

Thanks for the clarification. I was confused about these names.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
So. I guess this will be a thing?

The latest episode kept it quite vague, but the gym challenge certainly wasn't mentioned from what I can tell. We need more info. I'm confused on why Ash kept the Dynamax band if he's not going use Dynamax so frequently, I guess when he faces Leon in the future?

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
So. I guess this will be a thing?

The latest episode kept it quite vague, but the gym challenge certainly wasn't mentioned from what I can tell. We need more info. I'm confused on why Ash kept the Dynamax band if he's not going use Dynamax so frequently, I guess when he faces Leon in the future?

I'm sure he'll make several trips back to Galar before he has his rematch with Leon.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
From the broken and beginner Japanese and help of an additional translator, I've translated what Go was saying. Most of this is obvious from the visuals.

Trainers are divided into tiers, standard, great, ultra, and master. To climb these ranks, you must register online and battle lots of trainers. I liked that Go pointed out that your win to loss ratio and the difficulty of your battle is taken into account. It would mean that some shmuck steamrolling his way through Magikarp isn't obviously going to move up the ranks faster just because he can game the system that way.

World Turtle

So...
Master Ball : Top 8
Ultra Ball: Top 9-99
Great Ball: Top 100-999
Pokeball: Top 1000+

So this appears to have aspects of the battle tower tiers just without the beginner trainer level. I haven't done it myself yet, but I read on IGN it took them 12 wins without losing to get to Rank 6. So how many wins does it take to get to Master Ball tier? That might give us an idea about how many battles Ash has to win.

However the anime is giving us a ranking system of 1-1000+
So for the Pokeball Tier: If this was a regular league tournament just with a 1000+ participants that'd be like 10 rounds right? So Ash battles 10 trainers and gets up to Great Ball tier?

Konja7

So...
Master Ball : Top 8
Ultra Ball: Top 9-99
Great Ball: Top 100-999
Pokeball: Top 1000+

So this appears to have aspects of the battle tower tiers just without the beginner trainer level. I haven't done it myself yet, but I read on IGN it took them 12 wins without losing to get to Rank 6. So how many wins does it take to get to Master Ball tier? That might give us an idea about how many battles Ash has to win.

However the anime is giving us a ranking system of 1-1000+
So for the Pokeball Tier: If this was a regular league tournament just with a 1000+ participants that'd be like 10 rounds right? So Ash battles 10 trainers and gets up to Great Ball tier?

No. The Pokeball (Normal Class) has the ranking from 1000 onwards. The number of people in this rank is undefined.

It seems that anyone can sign up for this tournament. The hard part is improve their rank.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I wouldn't mind more tournaments in the anime in general if it means that we'd possibly see some familiar faces show up when Satoshi competes, so Pokemon World Tournaments sound like something that would be worth looking forward to, as long as they're handled well unlike the Junior Cup version that we got in Isshu.

Red and Blue

I'm glad we are doing something different than a badge quest for a change. Though I wonder if Ash will get some sort of item the more he rises through the ranks

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Doesn't need to be an item though. It can be an app or a result screen on the Rotomphone.