• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Worlds Collide: A Real World One-Shot Contest

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
I've had an idea in my head for about two weeks now and I'm finally going to get started writing what with Thanksgiving break. So hopefully I'll have the story done by Sunday, and yes I know that 1) that is only a few days to write (it's how I work; I kinda hate it, though) and 2) it's a bit close to the deadline. So hopefully my entry will be enough for a competition, yayyy~~~~~~~

EDIT: Also, silly question, but we're not allowed to post our entries on the forum, correct? Ideally, I'd like to get something on there as part of my totally-not-temporary return to serebii, but I could always write a second non-contest one-shot and say f*ck it to finals xP

EDIT2: When we submit our entries, would you rather have it in BB code so it's an easy copypasta? Or will seeing random "[*i] and [/*i]"'s bother you when you read?

Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
EDIT: Also, silly question, but we're not allowed to post our entries on the forum, correct? Ideally, I'd like to get something on there as part of my totally-not-temporary return to serebii, but I could always write a second non-contest one-shot and say f*ck it to finals xP
Correct - you can't post it anywhere until judging is complete.
EDIT2: When we submit our entries, would you rather have it in BB code so it's an easy copypasta? Or will seeing random "[*i] and [/*i]"'s bother you when you read?
I'm not judging this time around but seeing bbcode or the like in any story is just... distracting. Format it for easier reading for the judges so they don't have to manually filter out any tags when reading. Given you can email your entry you don't have to format it for vBulletin forums with bbcode - but if you submit via PM, make sure it has the formatting properly applied.

Dragonfree

Just me
My entry is finally really coming together, so yes, I'm definitely in. :D Good luck to everyone else!

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
It looks like I won't be able to finish my story in time (whoever said senior year is supposed to be easy is liar) but good luck to everyone else! I'll keep working on the story since I already started. Can I post it here in the forum when it's done since I'm no longer in the competition?

Dragonfree

Just me
Well, I've sent in my entry! Gogogo everyone twenty minutes left

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
It looks like I won't be able to finish my story in time (whoever said senior year is supposed to be easy is liar) but good luck to everyone else! I'll keep working on the story since I already started. Can I post it here in the forum when it's done since I'm no longer in the competition?

I'm not a mod or helping run the contest, but I know from past contess that's fine. You could even add a note it was origionally supposed to be for the contest if you'd like.

Phoenixsong

you taste like fear
Well, I've sent in my entry! Gogogo everyone twenty minutes left

I'm pretty sure the deadline is the end of December 1st, not the end of November 30th. :p Still about 23 hours left, I think!

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to make it regardless. I've been hacking away at my entry throughout the month, but I just don't feel like it's coming together in a way I'd be satisfied with posting at all, let alone entering into a contest. I'd probably be better off focusing on Yuletide and some other stuff than stressing about fighting with it any further. Assuming I'm right about the deadline there is still time, of course, so maybe I'll have some kind of eleventh-hour epiphany, but yeah, chances are I'm out. Still, I have made some progress on an idea I'd been sitting on for over a year, so I'm glad the contest at least pushed me into starting it. I'll always be able to come back to it later! Hopefully there are enough other entries to make this a party, and good luck to all the entrants! I'm looking forward to reading everything when the results are posted!

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant

Yep, that's totally fine! Because it's not a contest entry, it's therefore totes just a one-shot, so it's fair game. Basically, the "don't post your contest entry until after the judges reveal their scores" rule is a rule to make sure that judging remains objective. By preventing anyone else from commenting on a fic, that ensures that judges don't end up getting swayed by reviews. (We don't even know what our fellow judges think of each story until judging goes up.)

However, if your fic's not a contest fic, this doesn't apply to you, so it's safe to post yours up. b)'')b

I'm pretty sure the deadline is the end of December 1st, not the end of November 30th. :p Still about 23 hours left, I think!

And now there is an extension! 8D

Sorry to those of you who've rushed to get yours in (unless you'd like to edit or what-not), but it's come to the judges' and my attention that December 1 is a Thursday and therefore a silly time to end a contest. For this reason, we're pushing the deadline back a couple more days to 11:59 PM UTC on Sunday, December 4 to give folks the weekend to finish up. If you've already submitted and feel like that'd be a good time to get edits in, feel free! If this gives some of you enough time to finish up, good luck! :D

Otherwise, y'all will be happy to know that we officially have enough entries for a viable contest. It's got fewer entries than last year's at the moment (so any last-minute, over-the-weekend submissions would be awesome), but at the very least, we've got something interesting going on!

DeliriousAbsol

Call me Del
I'm afraid I don't think I'll be done even by the extension (busy weekend). I made a start and got I think four thousand or so words written, but inspiration ran kinda dry =( I'm also a bit worried the story would have felt rushed fitting such a complex plot into 10k words. Maybe I'll be able to finish it some other time and post it as a one shot or a new chaptered 'fic in the future, since I really would like to try writing a Cyberpunk Noir. Needless to say I don't think I'll let those characters or that world go to waste! Thanks for sparking a cool idea in my mind =D

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
All right, folks! It is officially past midnight UTC, so submissions are currently closed! Thanks and best of luck to everyone who submitted fics! All of the submissions (and all of your edits) have been shipped off to the judges, who are now hard at work reading and reviewing each entry. We hope to get results out by next month, but we'll keep you updated if anything changes.

See you soon!

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
We've got entries from you, Dragonfree, Firebrand, TheCharredDragon, and The Teller, so 5 people. Not exactly an ideal number of participants, but at least it's a viable contest. :)

Yeah, I was talking with Dragonfree and we were on the topic of how more oddball contests or more specifically-themed contests like this one get less attention. :( But yeah, at least we've got something, and what little competition we have should get fierce!

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Worlds Collide: A Real World One-Shot Contest
Final results

Hello, all, and thank you for your patience! Your judges worked swiftly, and as such, we are now ready for that moment you’ve all been waiting for: the results of the 20th anniversary one-shot contest!

But first, a little copypasta (and not so copypasta).

Just like in the contests of previous years, each of our participating judges ranked your scores independently from fifth to first place. In doing so, they assigned each entry a rank and set number of points according to the following chart:

1st place: 100 points
2nd place: 75 points
3rd place: 60 points
4th place: 35 points
5th place: 10 points

Each fic’s final score and rank, then, were determined by adding the judges’ scores together.

Although we only had a handful of entries, each one was fascinating in their own right, so this time around, because of that short participant list, I’d like to emphasize that getting fourth or fifth place is not necessarily a bad thing. It was tough to decide on who should place how, as you can probably tell by the wide variety of rankings in the following reviews. So before anything else, thank you to the participants for making this year exciting!

That said, just like in previous years, each entry will be posted in order from fifth to first place, along with their rankings and reviews. While we did our best to post each one in its entirety, there was at least one fic that will likely break the character limit, and as such, we can only post excerpts. This may take some time and trimming on our part, so please do not post until all of the entries have been successfully posted. There will be a closing post in a few minutes giving you the go-ahead to post, so please keep an eye on this thread within the hour!

Once again, thank you to the participants and even to the viewers for an exciting, wonderful year. We hope you enjoy the entries as much as we have, and we’ll see you at the closing post!