• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Worst album ever?

kuzronk

1 Reputation Comment

is.jpg

I know I will get a lot of hate from my option and this wouldn't be the worst I ever heard (most bad albums are at least so bad they are good) but it's highly overrated and I see nothing special about it par 2 mediocre songs (Last Nite/Someday).
When I listen to it my thoughts are just like the tittle due to how good it's meant to be.
I know this started the 2001 indie/garage rock craze but there are way better bands in that craze that have good albums/discography in whole (The White Stripes is one good example).
I even liked their newest album comedown machine more then this (despite that only having one good song that I really like).​

Geekachu

kuzronk

1 Reputation Comment
In that case the thread title would be better off being 'most overrated album' instead.

I guess so but most overrated albums have at least 1/2 good songs on them and have a clear reason why people like them. For example since i left you = sampling.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
and have a clear reason why people like them

yeah, opinions

i pretty much don't "get" the entire indie rock scene, though if i had to epitomise it with one famous album it would be Weezer's Pinkerton i suppose. it's so boring

kuzronk

1 Reputation Comment
yeah, opinions

i pretty much don't "get" the entire indie rock scene, though if i had to epitomise it with one famous album it would be Weezer's Pinkerton i suppose. it's so boring

It's not that boring. Think of it as a hook pop album with a bit of emo in it. If you want a album by them to hate pick radditude. Pink Triangle is a stupid song due to the girl Rivers sings about is not a lesbian and is just wearing it to show that she don't mind same sex love. You like Blue album?

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded sucked - Nicki Minaj

My friend loaned me this and after I listened to it I wanted to kill him in painful ways. Of course I couldn't do that so I promptly returned it. Seriously, this isn't even music.

Dread Advocate

†Stay Metal†
Not a terrible album, especially when compared to what Jb said and what others will put, Red's latest album, Release the Panic was very disappointing compared to their first three releases.

Rave

Banned
yeah, opinions

No way man, that album was probably their best. It was very well emotionally driven and had a really good unique sound to it. It really issued in alot of bands that would eventually come up in the 2000 era with the whole "emo" phase and everything. Probably their last really good album, up until they came out with Hurley, which was actually pretty good. The blue album was good. It gave listeners something unique that not alot of people have ever come across before at the time. It was their standard sound that helped established them who they are now. Pinkerton was pretty much how they were when Rivers went thru his dark times and all.

The thing with indie records, or rather, all music, is that it's too subjective. There are things that you can look at objectively, such as how good is their lyrical content, the sound, is it unique, fresh, never done before, does it work? etc. Subjectivity is if it resonates well with you or not. Even if it's like Blink-182 good, you can still say it sucks or it doesn't, whether you think it sounds good or not.

I can name a ton of bands that I've listened to that I don't personally like, but can say have a really good artistical quality and sound to them that really works.

To the OP:

Interesting. Our opinions about the Strokes albums are pretty much opposite. Though, my personal favorite has to be First Impressions of Earth and Angles. Is This It was really good for it's time, keep that in mind, but if it weren't for that album, you really wouldn't be listening to Comedown Machine in this day and age. Comedown Machine is kinda hit and miss, and for me, it's mostly miss. It's a very mellow chilled out album, with only a couple tracks I can say I really enjoy, the last one being my ultimate most favorite.

And yeah, alot of garage revival was all around. Pretty crazy how the Black Keys snuck under everyone's radar over the past many years. Makes you wonder.

If there's one album that I can say is highly overrated and honestly just sucks, it's Guns and Roses' "Appetite for Destruction."

Yeah, I can see some of the appreciation behind that album for it's time and sound, making a sound like that and all... but in all honesty... I really kinda just don't like them at all. They just sound like some raunchy Texas biker bar band in all honesty really. Aerosmith sounds alot better in contrast, and they kinda suck too.

Last edited:

Rezzo

Occasionally

It's an alright album, but no way would I say that it's one of the worst of all time. Overrated? Possibly.

Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded sucked - Nicki Minaj

Probably

I don't know if I could pick one to be honest. I listen to so many musical genres, and I feel like I'm able to like just about anything when I give it enough listens. With that said, Metallica and Lou Reed's Lulu was just awful on all levels.

Yes

Then again Lou Reed is the guy who put out Metal Machine Music as well.

If there's one album that I can say is highly overrated and honestly just sucks, it's Guns and Roses' "Appetite for Destruction."

I can agree with this. GNR tried to make a ridiculously commercial metal album here, and yeah sure it was successful, but the way people sometimes fall head over heels for this record is beyond me (it's probably something to do with the guitarist who isn't really that great at all).

----------

I'm gonna vote for Automatic for the People by R.E.M. The mixture of solemness and catchiness just doesn't work at all for me and I dislike it as a result.

Last edited:

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I'm gonna vote for Automatic for the People by R.E.M. The mixture of solemness and catchiness just doesn't work at all for me and I dislike it as a result.

I'll second this as a possible contender. It decidedly does not pull off catchiness well enough and most of its solemness just makes it feel hollow and without substance. It ****s up so badly at everything it tries to be, and it may very well be the most overrated album ever. There was a competent enough, hard-rocking, live, electric version of "Drive" on a compilation or something, which is quite good, however.

If you want to talk about sound (mastering, etc.), Metallica's St. Anger is a good contender. With decent mastering, St. Anger could be an okay example of extreme mediocrity. Lulu, though? Not gonna be saved by anything. This hurts me even more because I respect Lou Reed as an artist. Metal Machine Music seems to me like an "elaborate" joke, but Lulu is sincere. Maybe it's just too ~*artsy*~ and I ~*don't get it*~. Apparently artsy things and I don't get along well.

kuzronk

1 Reputation Comment
@Rave
I'm not even sure he even heard the album in full. Most of the songs are also like that due to Rivers having surgry just before recording it. I don't find Hurley that good. Should I replay it until I like it or is it a meh album?
It's a hit and miss for me as well. Tapped out is the only song on there that is that good.
Yeah but I think they changed their sound a bit (Black Keys). Lonely boy used to be played like hell (#2 most played song on aus radio last year).
I agree with you but it's a solid pop metal album that has a single/well knowed song around every 2 songs.
Kings and Queen is a good song by Aerosmith but I have barely heard the rest of their discograpy.

@Rezzo It's a alright album but they have done catcher songs like The Great Beyond. Some songs on it are bloody stupid like Star me kitten (sounds like **** me kitten to me).

@The Admiral I'm not that big on Californication by red hot chili peepers and most oasis albums due to how bad the mastering is.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
i must've put it on to my phone to listen to on the way to uni or deleted the rest of it from last.fm, i can't remember. that one play must have been a random play in shuffle before i deleted it, i wouldn't judge an entire album based on one song (especially wouldn't listen to it all out of order). sorry i don't like the same thing you like i guess

This

Or

This

-I hated Blue Slide Park. After hearing endless hype about Mac Miller this Mac Miller that I decided to listen to it and (IMHO!!!11!!1!1!) it sucked. It was so very boring there was literally two songs on it I could stand to listen to all the way through. So much hype he got and for what  ̄□ ̄

-I dont think anyone is even going to know STYG but um yeah. I didnt like it

This was pretty bad to. I mean most Rise bands are not great. But these guys . . . why do they even exist  ̄___ ̄ these kind of bands just make you wonder what the hell is up with most of the -core scene recently. Actually it isnt even the whole scene. I swear it is just Rise. They seem to just be a big commercial thing now . . .

Whoo bringing up music no one ever heard of yay me ´ー`

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991
I don't really own any albums that I really consider awful. But I can give some albums that seem generally worse than the rest of a bands output.

Blood Sugar Sex Magic for example is probably Red Hot Chili Peppers worst album. Rick Rubin + John Frusciante + hard funk doesn't lead to particularly stellar results. It kind of seems like an awkward phase between their funkier and/or harder 80s work and their more melodic later work. (I'm not saying Frusciante is a bad guitarist by any means, but funk metal isn't his thing)

I can bring up some more as I think of them.

kuzronk

1 Reputation Comment
i must've put it on to my phone to listen to on the way to uni or deleted the rest of it from last.fm, i can't remember. that one play must have been a random play in shuffle before i deleted it, i wouldn't judge an entire album based on one song (especially wouldn't listen to it all out of order). sorry i don't like the same thing you like i guess

I'm not angry. I just wondered since most people judge albums/bands on one song.
I think I have overplayed it due to it not being as enjoyable these days.

Lil Wayne - Rebirth.

Kevin Federline - Playing with Fire.

These two are in a class of their own. Listen to them. I guarantee you that it'll be hard.... nigh impossible.... to find something worse. Mainstream hip-hop is largely trash, but this pair of albums makes Gaga seem like Hendrix.... or Van Halen.

Last edited:

Rave

Banned
Lil Wayne - Rebirth.

Kevin Federline - Playing with Fire.

These two are in a class of their own. Listen to them. I guarantee you that it'll be hard.... nigh impossible.... to find something worse. Mainstream hip-hop is largely trash, but this pair of albums makes Gaga seem like Hendrix.... or Van Halen.

those would probably do good and alot better in standup comedy instead. makes lotsa money. if you got garbage, sell it in some form or another.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
This is the worst >_>... -- Pat Boone -- In a Metal Mood: No More Mister Nice Guy.