• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Worst Animé Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Cause you know, deconstructions are supposed to be realistic, not just dark and depressing.

I think TVTropes says it best...

TVTropes' entry on Deconstruction said:
Note that to be a deconstruction of X the work must both play the trope deadly straight and not ignore the realistic implications or consequences of the trope. As such, it both abides by the trope while offering criticism of it regarding how it would work in Real Life. While deconstructions are mostly cynical, merely making a work cynical does not make a deconstruction; it is only a deconstruction if the cynicism is realistic. Merely making things Darker and Edgier is not a deconstruction. For instance, Warhammer 40,000 is a morally nihilistic setting but it doesn't seriously compel the audience to question whether or not they would truly want to live in a Crapsack World fighting abominations. Thus, 40k abides by the tropes without criticizing them.

basically, it's still deeply rooted within fantasy. I doubt anyone's gonna say that a world where magic exists is in any way "realistic". Of course, as we can't really tell how anybody would react in these type of situations, it's hard to determine what is or isn't realistic in the first place. What a deconstruction does aim to do, however, is show that some of these tropes we take for granted in most media may actually be far more consequential than we think, almost like a sort of dark parody. Also, it must be said that trauma can come in a wide spectrum, even in reality. What makes you think Sayaka's reaction is that far off from what a real person would do? Besides which...

[SPOIL]...Sayaka was already aware that Mami was involved in some serious business, and for all intents and purposes, it was involvement in an underground world completely unknown to society and "normals" like herself. After Mami's death, her options were either to form a contract herself and risk her life in much the same way she did, or return to living her everyday life as if the whole thing were just a bad dream. If it wasn't for Kyousuke despairing over his injury to the point of cursing all music entirely, she actually would have gone with the latter option (though, even in the brief period where she has second thoughts, Mami's death still stung her in more of a way than you seem to give it credit for).[/SPOIL]

[SPOIL]As for Homura's desperate loneliness. I'm well aware that at least a month passed between Homura meeting Madoka and the first walpurgis night. A month isn't enough to form a bond of friendship worth dying for, unless you're so desperate and lonely that you can't make any other friends. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I seem to remember Homura being saved by TWO magical girls that day, and yet her entire focus is on the one she met first, the one who said a few nice things about her.
[/SPOIL]

[SPOIL]Regardless of Mami being there too, Homura did share a class with Madoka, thus they had far more opportunities to grow closer (and honestly, some decently-written fictional characters managed to grow inseparable after knowing each other for about an hour, why complain about them knowing each other for a month?). Besides which, after the third timeline, Homura made it her mission to prevent Madoka from making a wish in the first place. Considering Mami is a veteran who made her wish at an unknown time (and said wish was extending her already doomed life anyway), it's no surprise that Homura would determine her to be a lost cause. Also, desperation formed from the traumatic experience of losing a friend aside, Homura may've just seen the Walpurgis Nacht as a threat that could be dealt with using just a bit more firepower (after all, Madoka in the first timeline managed to defeat it alone at the cost of her own life). Homura made her wish not knowing of the true dangers that came with being a magical girl, something which she discovered at the end of the second timeline.[/SPOIL]

Last edited:

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
I hated this anime that was kinda like yu-gi-oh
dont remember the name:/

takbir10

Banned
sucks

beyblade sucks i dont even get it

Vodka Haze

Akira. It's an extremely overrated and overhyped film, the characters got little depth, very little was explained and I was honestly not sure who was meant to be the good guys and the bad guys.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
Isn't it amazing how they were the same guys who dubbed Black Lagoon, which is believed by many to be superior than the original?

Uh...no. The Fox Kids dub used American actors and was produced by Haim Saban, and was cut to downplay the role of Hitomi. The good dub is by Canadian actors, produced by Bandai, and is uncut, and was also responsible for Black Lagoon.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
Uh...no. The Fox Kids dub used American actors and was produced by Haim Saban, and was cut to downplay the role of Hitomi. The good dub is by Canadian actors, produced by Bandai, and is uncut, and was also responsible for Black Lagoon.

There were two dubs? Never knew that, but it's good to know that the Canadians aren't inconsistent with their dubbing abilities.

Zweihander Nemesis

Not too old for Poke
SD Gundam: As a Gundam fan, I never understood the whole "Super Deformed thing" When the Gundams were like 2ft tall and could talk it just blew my mind. I gave it a chance, but I could not like it anyway. It's a kids show which strays away from the dark,deaths and seriousness of the other series (Victory Gundam?).

Gundam SEED: It took nearly everything from the original Gundam 0079 and tried to up date it. I hate Kira, crying and whining, constantly shouting for everyone to stop fighting while he blows up half the fleet. I never liked any of the characters on the show and to me it was just a modernized version of Gundam 0079, with just less likeable characters and a different story past halfway point. I won't be a nostalgia elitist and say that because its new I hate it, I liked Gundam 00...sorta, and Gundam Unicorn is great.

Yu-Gi-Oh GX: The original Yu-Gi-Oh series wasn't that bad, it had an epic storyline; but this...all I can say is I find Jaden annoying (Like an overexcited Ash of Yu-Gi-Oh) along with the rest of the cast.

Bleach: Coming from a former Bleach fanboy I got tired of it after seeing that there were so many characters than I could keep track of, Ichigo's constant powering up to win and near infinite energy. Also, Orihime yes you've got quite the body but you could not be more annoying.

Naruto: Just don't like how they are still trying to keep up the "Ninja" persona, yes its an anime but if their going to be Ninjas they should at least take a look at Tenchu and be stealthy for once why do kids grow up to be Ninjas? the life of a Ninja is supposed to be filled with assassinating people but I digress. I feel like it's going to go on forever because it is the most popular anime in the world and will never end.

Now I don't hate any Yaoi, or Romance animes but they're just not my cup of tea, at all.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
SD Gundam is the best Gundam.

All the others were just flying robots/zoids in space with billions of series that had the same exact thing.

Of course Gundam or Big 0 was never good to begin with.

Zweihander Nemesis

Not too old for Poke
All the others were just flying robots/zoids in space with billions of series that had the same exact thing.

I respect your opinion but the Gundams have different universes and the series are quite different. Of course robots are fighting and flying in space it's a mecha genre anime; what did you expect? The only exception to the "same" rule is Gundam 0079 -> Gundam SEED and Gundam Wing -> Gundam 00 Because they almost have the same premises and starts.

I kinda liked Big O, it was Batman + Real Robots; sure the storyline was a bit hard to follow but I liked it's artwork, and some of the characters.

Vernikova

Champion

Of course Gundam or Big 0 was never good to begin with.

G Gundam and The Big O were great in my opinion. Why didn't you like them?

SailorPika

Dark Poke'mon Lover
Probably Bobobobobobo and Super Milk-chan. Those were just too weird for me

Jb

Tsun in the streets
G Gundam and The Big O were great in my opinion. Why didn't you like them?

Im not sure, I REALLY tried to like the mecha series as a whole, I really did, but all that was happening was this one robot firing a bunch of lazer from its back at giant battleships and such. I know Big O wasn't like that but I still couldn't into it, it seem to depressed for me.

Zweihander Nemesis

Not too old for Poke
Im not sure, I REALLY tried to like the mecha series as a whole, I really did, but all that was happening was this one robot firing a bunch of lazer from its back at giant battleships and such. I know Big O wasn't like that but I still couldn't into it, it seem to depressed for me.

Sounds like you are not a fan of the Mecha genre, which is split into two subgenres

Real Robots: Gundam, Macross, Big-O (essentially robots that act like robots)
Super Robots: Robots with superpowers (King Gainer, Neon Genesis Evangelion, G Gundam)

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Real Robot = Gundam

Super Robot = Gurren Lagann

There, the second example makes things a lot clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.