• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Worst Animé Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
No, what makes it rank amongst the worst is that it is an insult to the original. A spin-off OVA is designed to appeal to existing fans, so if it serves to offend them then it is failing horribly at its purpose. And no, looking at it objectively, it is far from the worst, but looking at an OVA which is meant for existing fans objectively is somewhat missing the point.

And to the second point, emphasis on 'included'.

Well you gotta cut them some slack there, the existing fans are the Japanese, and they sure do love their fanservice

I would have to say the worst anime I've seen are Madoka

What?

Probally the biggest series to hit Japan since Dragonball. I'd like to know why you think this.

RLinksoul

I'd like to know why you think this.

As a genre that stands for heartwarming stories of young girls who gain courage and maturity with magic, a male targeted series where all of that is a bad thing can leave a bad taste in one's mouth, especially if the show relies entirely on trolling and shock value to win it's fans over. One little moment in one episode turned the entire series from "Mediocre Magical Girl Crap." into "BEST ANIME EVER!!!"

Basically... a magical girl anime for magical girl haters, is what it can feel like.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
That's does make a lot of sense if one went into the show expecting a magical girl anime at it's most pure. I kinda feel the same seeing as the Magical Girl genre is my second favorite. Though watching it as a stand alone will give a totally different feeling.

RLinksoul

That's does make a lot of sense if one went into the show expecting a magical girl anime at it's most pure. I kinda feel the same seeing as the Magical Girl genre is my second favorite. Though watching it as a stand alone will give a totally different feeling.

When I found out the show was gonna be darker than the average Magical Girl anime, I went in expecting something like this. I think only the fight in episode 11 was even half as impressive. The rest tend to be the same "Character swoops in at the last second and immediately curbstomps the enemy." deal. But this show's more about the speculation than the action.

Then there's our protagonist. We're shown tons of promotional pics of her in costume, but when the show rolls around, she does almost nothing but cry. No one can blame her given the circumstances, but still, she got tiresome pretty quickly. And the whole "She's more realistic cause she hesitates" argument falls flat when you've actually SEEN shows like Sailor Moon, CCS and Pretty Cure. Any of those protagonists would probably be dead if they hesitated the way Madoka does. Only Madoka had the luxury of 2-4 people ready to swoop in and solve all her problems for her.

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
Dragon Ball GT.

It was actually shocking to see how bad a series could be.

Cabezon

Crescendo Cuty

As a stand alone seinen, I have absolutely no problem with people liking madoka, but when everyone and their mum says "this is the best/realistic magical girl series ever" it makes my blood boil, 'cause it's not a magical girl, it's just a seinen disguised as one.

When I found out the show was gonna be darker than the average Magical Girl anime, I went in expecting something like this. I think only the fight in episode 11 was even half as impressive. The rest tend to be the same "Character swoops in at the last second and immediately curbstomps the enemy." deal. But this show's more about the speculation than the action.

Then there's our protagonist. We're shown tons of promotional pics of her in costume, but when the show rolls around, she does almost nothing but cry. No one can blame her given the circumstances, but still, she got tiresome pretty quickly. And the whole "She's more realistic cause she hesitates" argument falls flat when you've actually SEEN shows like Sailor Moon, CCS and Pretty Cure. Any of those protagonists would probably be dead if they hesitated the way Madoka does. Only Madoka had the luxury of 2-4 people ready to swoop in and solve all her problems for her.

This!

ForeverFlame

I'm pretty sure it's a troll, guys. No one's daft enough to say that:

1. The magical girl genre is the best Anime has to offer (Screw Ghibli - Uber Kawaii PreCure Fresh Heart Suite GoGo! is a masterpiece!).

2. That the only three decent magical girl Anime are crap.

RLinksoul

As a stand alone seinen, I have absolutely no problem with people liking madoka, but when everyone and their mum says "this is the best/realistic magical girl series ever" it makes my blood boil, 'cause it's not a magical girl, it's just a seinen disguised as one.

They used the Magical Girl genre as part of their trolling, since people wouldn't expect THAT from a MG anime.

1. The magical girl genre is the best Anime has to offer (Screw Ghibli - Uber Kawaii PreCure Fresh Heart Suite GoGo! is a masterpiece!).

I agree with you on point one. There are a lot of good non-Magical Girl anime out there, and a handful of bad MG anime (Moetan?)

But to say those three are the only decent magical girl anime (No love for Cardcaptor Sakura?) says that you don't like the genre.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Anyone ever look back at the first pages of long threads like this one? Good times, good times.

Cabezon

Crescendo Cuty

Yeah, What you said, You're completely right.

1-Chihiro was quite boring, Howl's moving castle is absolutely fantastic. Ghibli is all about movies, not episodic anime. I'm not comparing Buffy to Transformers. (Most MG movies tend to be awful, btw)

5 and GOGO were both sloppy Sailor Moon copycats, Suite became quite good after the first 10 boring episodes. Fresh and HC were brilliant though.

2-And just like I don't compare films with TV series I don't compare horror films with Comedies.

Chris

Old Coot
At least Seth knows how to draw backgrounds...Somewhat.
Except Seth doesn't do any of the animation.

I would have to say the worst anime I've seen are Madoka, Shugo Chara and Nanoha, which I think are bad written mockeries of a genre I absolutely adore, and that don't deserve all the praise they get for simply derailing a genre. (not deconstructing, specially madoka)
Save for SC, the other two ARE deconstructions of the magical girl genre. They do the complete opposite of what one is to expect from seeing within the genre.

[QUOTE-Cabezon]it's all about fangirling over a guy who non-symbolically-symbolically holds they key to your heart[/QUOTE]
That sounds an awful lot like just about every shoujo series out there - which is where the magical girl sub-genre tends to stem from. Same way how the battle sub-genre stems from shounen.

Probally the biggest series to hit Japan since Dragonball. I'd like to know why you think this.
You mean since One Piece, considering how big OP is over there right now. It's more or less the current day version of Dragon Ball.

Even then, it's a stretch. If anything, Madoka's more of big cult favorite made up of only older guys. Proven so when they had to cancel a meet-up event when they couldn't get enough girls to join in.

Cabezon

Crescendo Cuty
Except Seth doesn't do any of the animation.

Save for SC, the other two ARE deconstructions of the magical girl genre. They do the complete opposite of what one is to expect from seeing within the genre.

Cabezon said:
it's all about fangirling over a guy who non-symbolically-symbolically holds they key to your heart

That sounds an awful lot like just about every shoujo series out there - which is where the magical girl sub-genre tends to stem from. Same way how the battle sub-genre stems from shounen.

You mean since One Piece, considering how big OP is over there right now. It's more or less the current day version of Dragon Ball.

Even then, it's a stretch. If anything, Madoka's more of big cult favorite made up of only older guys. Proven so when they had to cancel a meet-up event when they couldn't get enough girls to join in.

hard to quote you so I'll just separate every answer in order okay xD?

-To be a deconstruction you should have all the elements of a magical girl and play with them in unexpected ways (madoka has the mascot and the costumes) Madoka and Nanoha just use elements of the genre but are not in the genre itself. A magical girl is for starters a shoujo branch (as you correctly put it) both Madoka and Nanoha are seinen. and the few elements that they do use, they use in cliché ways (final upgrade, selfless sacrifice)

A proper deconstructions of shoujo is Utena, and a proper deconstruction of Magical Girls is probably MKR, both in them make full use of all the elements of their genres and play them in unexpected ways.

- Yes, Magical girl is a branch of shoujo, and I agree with everything you said ...Is just that I dislike it when the protagonist is too much of a Mary sue (let's call it like it is, I love the genre but is not without its flaws). Amu is practically the commander in chief of Mary Sues.

I hope my answer made sense, it was difficult to quote your post xD

Ilan

I will get killed but... Pokemon Best Wishes... it is just awful the main character is less mature than in the first episode of the original series and he is still 10 years old despite he got pikachu when he had his birthday of 10 and then the anniversary of pikachu HOW IS HE 10?

that's the worst anime I have seen and I had seen only 1 chapter and I already know he have pitiful strategy... a main character from any other anime is such a loser... from when main characters fail so much?

RLinksoul

They do the complete opposite of what one is to expect from seeing within the genre.

When you put it that way, I can agree that Madoka's a deconstruction of the genre. "Girls with magic who fight monsters." Without shows like Sailor Moon to plant an expectation in your mind, that could be pretty vague.

TV Tropes pretty much has it defined as "Taking the genre apart and making it realistic" Magic aside, I had trouble seeing it as what a magical girl series would be like in real life. Real doesn't mean "Hopelessly dark and depressing."

To take a quote from said site...
Urobuchi Gen is all about angsty sad stories. He is also definitely on the side of those who consider happy stories to be unrealistic, to the point where he has actually suggested that Lighter and Softer stories, by definition, contradict the laws of nature and are therefore difficult to write and impossible to believe.

And yet I had an even more difficult time believing such a hopelessly dark and depressing story full of irrational, ignorant characters, and so many things that had to be ignored for the plot to continue, so I can't even begin to imagine such a series being a realistic magical girl anime.

Chris

Old Coot
-To be a deconstruction you should have all the elements of a magical girl and play with them in unexpected ways (madoka has the mascot and the costumes) Madoka and Nanoha just use elements of the genre but are not in the genre itself. A magical girl is for starters a shoujo branch (as you correctly put it) both Madoka and Nanoha are seinen.
And that's not a deconstruction...how? They took the elements of magical girl series' and played them in an unexpected way - by throwing in elements that are mostly seen within series' for older, male audiences rather than little girls.

You look at basic artwork of the characters for each series and think "Oh, this is just another one of those cutesy, magical girl shows for the kiddies." Upon watching it, it's the complete opposite of what you would expect.

A proper deconstructions of shoujo is Utena
This is true, since it is pretty much considered as Evangelion for girls.

and a proper deconstruction of Magical Girls is probably MKR, both in them make full use of all the elements of their genres and play them in unexpected ways.
No, in this case, this is just adding several sub-genres together. Magic Knight Rayearth's more or less an overall fantasy series with a twist here and there.

Seth used to be an animator correct?
"Used to" when he had zero funding and was working on everything by himself.

I will get killed but... Pokemon Best Wishes... it is just awful the main character is less mature than in the first episode of the original series and he is still 10 years old despite he got pikachu when he had his birthday of 10 and then the anniversary of pikachu HOW IS HE 10?
The same way the characters in The Simpsons and Family Guy haven't aged - it's to keep the shows going without the interference of age and so newer fans can jump in at any point.

If you're honestly using that as your excuse for why you think Best Wishes is the worst anime, then I have to say you haven't seen a whole lot of anime.

Roronoa Zoro

Cracks begin to show
"Used to" when he had zero funding and was working on everything by himself.

Ah! So he probably knows how to do backgrounds, unlike Kubo lol. I'm joking, Chris, don't take it so seriously.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
The same way the characters in The Simpsons and Family Guy haven't aged - it's to keep the shows going without the interference of age and so newer fans can jump in at any point.

If you're honestly using that as your excuse for why you think Best Wishes is the worst anime, then I have to say you haven't seen a whole lot of anime.

Bart, Lisa, Maggie, Stewie, and Meg have all had birthdays in their respective shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.