• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Worst cartoon characters of all time?

Watching the newer episodes, I can't remember the last time they even attempted to actually make a joke
I don't really have a problem with the newer episodes of Spongebob. The worst episodes in my opinion are the 30 minute "specials" which they seem to over-hype and over-publicize. I especially loathe the episodes that have extremely cheesy songs coupled with them. Ex. Best day ever episode, Tiki episode. New spongebob just doesn't seem as innovative and fresh as it once was. The battle of the bands episode, the first episode with the anchovies, krusty krab pizza for you and mee e e e e e e, etc. were amazing. The show went downhill after the Frycook games season in my opinion.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Which Spider-Man do you mean?
The current one from the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon obviously. Do I even need to say why? He's not true to the character in the comics at all.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
If Hollywood can make documentary movies based on popular pop stars, then an Internet fruit celebrity can be given his own show. Doesn't mean it will be automatically good though, even if they're written by the same people.

True...

One of the recent episodes had Squidward obtain a brain injury severe enough to revert his intelligence back to that of an infant--which would be permanent if he got more head injuries. Horrible things then immediately happen to him that result to injuries to his head (all under SpongeBob and Patrick's supervision). Then Mr. Krabs forced him to still work as a cashier while he's soiling himself and babbling baby talk, and after more horrendous antics, he returns to normal when ice cubes land on his head.

How is that not bad writing to you? I'm very curious.

Again this is all from what I've heard from people online. Not trying to say they are 100% because they're not.

But the writers in charge of writing the episodes could still make a long-running show well done as long as the writing is good. But nope, it's been bad episode after bad episode with the rare decent episode here and there. So both the writers and Nickelodeon are at fault here.
Some comments in bold.
In a way you're right, but the writing is on par with Best Wishes DA! Not good haha.
I haven't watched an episode of Spongebob since 2008.
Watching the newer episodes, I can't remember the last time they even attempted to actually make a joke
2005 or 6 was the last I got a good laugh at it.

orochi

Excalibur from soul eater.....it pis*ed me off. They had an entire episode dedicated to him. I was like pleeeeeaaaaase go away, I want blackstar! DDDDX But he didn't go away o-0

Chandelurefan1

Chris Thorndyke from Sonic X annoys the living sense out of me by stealing the roles of Tails and Amy and also being so whiny to the point I want to poke a gun at this kid.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Excalibur from soul eater.....it pis*ed me off. They had an entire episode dedicated to him. I was like pleeeeeaaaaase go away, I want blackstar! DDDDX But he didn't go away o-0

Isn't the whole point of Excalibur's character is that he's annoying and it annoys everyone?

Chris Thorndyke from Sonic X annoys the living sense out of me by stealing the roles of Tails and Amy and also being so whiny to the point I want to poke a gun at this kid.

That kid didn't deserve to live. I thought it was ridiculous enough we had to spend majority of time following his character around, but then him wanting to really be with Sonic on his home planet even as an adult (if I remember correctly, it was after the first season) was what eventually got me to stop watching the show. I otherwise would've watched it all to the end, but I was chased away before Cosmo was introduced, and I kick myself for it here and there before I remember that it was the show's fault. I don't blame the Japanese audience for not liking it.

Chandelurefan1

That kid didn't deserve to live. I thought it was ridiculous enough we had to spend majority of time following his character around, but then him wanting to really be with Sonic on his home planet even as an adult (if I remember correctly, it was after the first season) was what eventually got me to stop watching the show. I otherwise would've watched it all to the end, but I was chased away before Cosmo was introduced, and I kick myself for it here and there before I remember that it was the show's fault. I don't blame the Japanese audience for not liking it.

Chris wanted to join Sonic at the beginning of season 3 where he worked on a dimensional machine to Mobius which he completed at the age 18, so for 6 years Chris still didn't move on and he is an adult wow just wow. I was already angry from the first episode, to the point of refusing to watch the third season until last year. The worst part is that upon dimensional travel, Chris is physically turned back into a whiny 12 year old boy due to Mobius having longer years. You know what!!! I would rather have seen Chris die instead of Cosmo. I hate him that much.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Chris wanted to join Sonic at the beginning of season 3 where he worked on a dimensional machine to Mobius which he completed at the age 18, so for 6 years Chris still didn't move on and he is an adult wow just wow.

That was season three? Really? So... I almost got to see all of Sonic X after all? Well... at least I know where I can start at whenever I get around to actually watch it.

But yeah. To make it worse, I remember that even his peers told him it was a stupid idea, and yet he went ahead and did it all for the sake of seeing his Sonikku. And of course, then he's shocked he turned into a twelve-year-old. Gee, genius, what did you think would happen? Okay, well, I guess he didn't know, but still, it was a dumb move on his part.

The worst part is that upon dimensional travel, Chris is physically turned back into a whiny 12 year old boy due to Mobius having longer years.

To be fair I can kinda see how that works, but why Chris would go back to being twelve makes it unrealistic. I don't think jumping through time dimensions works like that...

I kinda think that because 4KIDS paid them to animate new episodes due to its popularity over here, the writers had to come up with something. I don't really know if they had ever planned anything past Sonic's departure, especially since they went ahead to record lines for season three despite it never airing in Japan. Then again, that makes sense, since you can't really animate things out of thin air without a script, especially twenty-four-minute-long episodes.

Last edited:

Naito

Oh, and I tought I am the only one who hates these kinds of annoying little kids.

I am sure I do not like numerous other cartoon characters, but as usually I can't remember when I have to name them.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Oh, and I tought I am the only one who hates these kinds of annoying little kids.

To be fair, if the kids were originally like that and thus part of their character, I can kinda forgive them for it. It won't make me like them, but I can at least forgive them. With Chris, I have no idea what it was they were going for, whether it was to show just how lonely he was because he's from a rich family and his parents are extremely busy, or what. Which... the lonely part doesn't really make much sense because you see him hanging out with kids at school. In fact, if the Sonic X pilot is anything to go by, Danny (who I think is his best friend) was supposed to be a recurring character. Well, he became more of a background character while Chris stole the spotlight since I hardly remembered him until I looked at the pilot episodes just now.

cmarston1

Animation Enthusiast
DW from Arthur. Man is she such a spoiled little *****! She never seems to learn her lesson and is way to nasty and kind of annoying at least in some early episodes their was some effort to maker her a little sympathetic but now she is just awful.
Also taking horrible spoiled people I hate Lucy from Peanuts. I'm sorry I just can't find anything redeemable about her (that includes her crush on Schroeder I fell she deserves the rejections) and the football gag is kind of funny at times but need I remind you that she did that to poor Chuck at a freaking football game causing them to lose! In fact that was so horrible and produced dialog so mean spirited that networks actually had to re-dub the fillm.

Don't forget Sarah from Edd Ed n Edd as well as Kevin who are both way too mean and nasty towards the edds though at least they made up with them in the Big Picture Show.
Lastly I have to mention Scootaloo from My Little Pony Friendship is magic. My god I have never seen a character so lacking in personality, depth or anything that I actually have to consider them a cardboard cutout instead of a character and this show has produced King Sombra! She has been in the show for all three seasons yet she is only there to be Applebloom and Sweetie Belle's friend and worship Rainbow Dash but she has had so little focus that I am pretty sure she was originally a background pony. Also it had to be specifically stated that she is in fact not an orphan (that is how little we know about her.)

Last edited:

Chandelurefan1

I kinda think that because 4KIDS paid them to animate new episodes due to its popularity over here, the writers had to come up with something. I don't really know if they had ever planned anything past Sonic's departure, especially since they went ahead to record lines for season three despite it never airing in Japan. Then again, that makes sense, since you can't really animate things out of thin air without a script, especially twenty-four-minute-long episodes.

The dubbed Episode 52 of Sonic X which was the second season finale aired on March 26th 2005. Episodes 53-78 (Season 3) originally aired for the first time anywhere between March 12th 2005 to April 18th 2005, so you are presuming 4Kids paid in advance?

Even then the plot for Season 3 made no sense in Sonic continuity and didn't need to happen. Especially since the writers could've simply just made a season about Sonic Heroes or Shadow the Hedgehog instead of something new to make things easier

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
People really have it out for Scrappy don't they?

Zazie

So 1991
People really have it out for Scrappy don't they?

It's kind of the go to answer for topics like this. Scrappy sucks has pretty much been ingrained into the popular concniousness at this point. I don't find the character that bad honestly. I just cartoons he was in weren't very good, mostly because they cut most of the cast and lost the group dynamic.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
It's kind of the go to answer for topics like this. Scrappy sucks has pretty much been ingrained into the popular concniousness at this point.

It's been bad enough that trailers/ads and cover art for DVD releases of old Scooby-Doo spin-offs, and crossovers/short movies edit out nearly all traces of Scrappy-Doo. The character is still grating enough that even the current Scooby-Doo cartoon made a reference to the hate of Scrappy-Doo. There's an episode where Fred and Daphne find a statue of him, and she tries to ask what happened, but Fred tells her, "We all swore to never speak of him again."

I think Cartoon Network helped do this to our generation (whether or not we were Scooby-Doo fans). There's been the occasional reference in their ad bumpers, and even did so in one of their 20th anniversary ad bumpers (skip to around 1:40 and watch the bottom left-hand corner). There's also a game on Cartoon Network that's been around since at least 2000 called "Scrappy Stinks", where you throw tomatoes and stuff at him as he scampers across the stage.

But I think the Scrappy hate is also because he's the most well-known. There were other characters, however. Who here remembers Scooby-Dum (without clicking on the link first, anyway)? Anybody? Or how about Googie?

Last edited: