• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Worst Competitive Stuff Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachmac

Well Gigalith has QuakeEdge, SR and Toxic. It is enough I think. But sure, expanded movepool, like E.punches would help it. And Luvdisc ain't that bad... Well it is but w/e, it is still embarassing when Luvdisc beats Pokes in OU xP And, ond **** I used in OU with my Sun/TR team, was LO Darumaka. The lil daruma was so fun to use xD The only drawbacks was Hustle miss, SR and Priority.
Darumaka? Was it even fast enough to keep up?

Anyway, Gigalith suffers from poor typing, similar to Regirock. It's only niche is as a stealth rock lead with sturdy.
what does Luvdisc beat in OU without a massive amount of support?
Modest Choice Specs Luvdisc with a little rain dance support beats...
252SpAtk Choice Specs Luvdisc (+SAtk) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 4HP/0SpDef Alakazam (Neutral): 109% - 128% (276 - 325 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
252SpAtk Choice Specs Luvdisc (+SAtk) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 4HP/0SpDef Dugtrio (Neutral): 303% - 359% (644 - 762 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
252SpAtk Choice Specs Luvdisc (+SAtk) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 252HP/0SpDef Sturdy Donphan (Neutral): 99% - 99% (383 - 383 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. OHKO with stealth rock.
252SpAtk Choice Specs Luvdisc (+SAtk) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 4HP/0SpDef Levitate Gengar (Neutral): 116% - 137% (306 - 360 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
252SpAtk Choice Specs Luvdisc (+SAtk) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 252HP/100SpDef Flash Fire Heatran (Neutral): 107% - 127% (416 - 492 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
252SpAtk Choice Specs Luvdisc (+SAtk) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 4HP/0SpDef Infernape (Neutral): 217% - 255% (638 - 752 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
252SpAtk Choice Specs Luvdisc (+SAtk) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 252HP/100SpDef Landorus (Neutral): 135% - 159% (516 - 608 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
252SpAtk Choice Specs Luvdisc (+SAtk) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 4HP/0SpDef Lucario (Neutral): 114% - 135% (322 - 381 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
252SpAtk Choice Specs Luvdisc (+SAtk) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 4HP/0SpDef Thick Fat Mamoswine (Neutral): 201% - 237% (728 - 858 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
252SpAtk Choice Specs Luvdisc (+SAtk) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 4HP/0SpDef Mienshao (Neutral): 133% - 157% (364 - 429 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
252SpAtk Choice Specs Luvdisc (+SAtk) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 4HP/0SpDef Tornadus (Neutral): 96% - 114% (289 - 342 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 79% chance to OHKO. OHKO with stealth rock.
252SpAtk Choice Specs Luvdisc (+SAtk) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 240HP/0SpDef Volcarona (Neutral): 124% - 147% (462 - 546 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

I still don't suggest using it though.

Zachmac

Can't switch into any of them though
You said beat, not counter. Checking them is still beating them.

If you want a list of OU pokemon that it counters, then you're not going to get anything. That thing can't swap into Blissy or Forretress.

Eaglehawk

Banned
Just for kicks while we're at it.

0SpAtk Forretress (Neutral) Volt Switch vs 4HP/0SpDef Leftovers Luvdisc (Neutral): 42% - 50% (96 - 114 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

A Volt Switch from Forretress can potentially 2HKO Luvdisc.

dildadonz

Dusknoir, it has great defences but for just tanking it's younger brother is better. It has an awesome movepool but it's attacks are average and it's to slow to be a sweeper. Pressure is good for PP stalling but it doesn't have any reliable recovery. Pain split is an alternative but 45 base HP means it will most likely be 2HKO'd, Dusclops has potential but its to slow and his HP is so little.

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
Volcarona is overrated. Nobody talks about its 4x SR weakness, people are just excited by Quiver Dance and by its extremely high Sp.Atk. Sure its usage has lowered, but it's still used by a large amount of people.

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
Volcarona is overrated. Nobody talks about its 4x SR weakness, people are just excited by Quiver Dance and by its extremely high Sp.Atk. Sure its usage has lowered, but it's still used by a large amount of people.

that's because even with the 4x weakness to rock, it's still pretty deadly. if it can set up even 1 Quiver Dance you have a pretty scary threat on your hands. Stealth Rock? Rapid Spin. or maybe just use it as a lead so you don't have to worry about it in the first place.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
that's because even with the 4x weakness to rock, it's still pretty deadly. if it can set up even 1 Quiver Dance you have a pretty scary threat on your hands. Stealth Rock? Rapid Spin. or maybe just use it as a lead so you don't have to worry about it in the first place.

This is absolutely correct. I tried just throwing a Volcarona on my team once with virtually no team support and it still wrecked. Volcarona requires a team that is pretty much structured around it to really reach its potential, but even with limited team support, it is still ridiculously good.

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
Rapid Spin? GHOSTS. And don't forget there's a Pokemon named Blissey, which can Thunder Wave it and stall it all day. The only set that can be used is the substitute set, but even then there are Gyarados and rock users.

i run mine with a Lum Berry to stop such nonsense. Volcarona is good, it's OU. i don't even run spinners and it's still really good. my prankster sableye stops Stealth Rockers in their tracks, so i'm not worried about it. i wont deny that it's easy to beat, it dies to any rock move. but with your logic, Scizor must be overrated too since it dies to any fire move.

Fortunato

Sic Transit Gloria
Cacturne is trash if you don't give him the right support

All Cacturne needs is sand to be successful lol. Cacturne is a pretty cool mon and I've seen plenty of people use it extremely well. Anyways as far bad competitive stuff the list is endless, but most pokes have their own niches in certain areas and tiers.

No, people constantly talk about Volcarona's Stealth Rock weakness. That's why so many people emphasize that you need Rapid Spin or Magic Mirror support. It's also the reason why Morning Sun sets in the Sun and ChestoRest sets are so popular: they give Volcarona a much needed healing.

Rapid Spin? GHOSTS. And don't forget there's a Pokemon named Blissey, which can Thunder Wave it and stall it all day. The only set that can be used is the substitute set, but even then there are Gyarados and rock users.

Ghosts? PURSUIT TRAPPERS. And don't forget there's a Pokemon named Conkeldurr, who just begs Blissey to paralzye it so that it can run through the opposing teams at +1 with a Guts boost.

Seriously, though, just look at the stats. Let's assume just for a second that no two Ghosts are on the same team, for argument's sake. That said, the top 7 Ghosts in OU (Gengar, Jellicent, Chandelure, Sableye, Dusclops, Froslass, and Dusknior) put together don't even hit 25% usage, which leaves us with about 75% of teams that have no spin blockers at all. Still sound like such a big problem? And having one Pokemon in OU that can counter Volcarona doesn't make it any less viable, since pretty much everything out there has something that can counter it. That said, Volcarona easily 2HKOs Blissey with Fire Blast in the Sun at just +1, or at +2 without Sun, so that's moot.

Finally, the Substitute set is most certainly not the only viable set out there. The Morning Sun set has great power and survivability in the Sun. The Chesto Rest set is impecible at running through teams late game and absorbing status. The Rain set does a great job of checking many threats to Rain teams. The offensive set can also tear entire teams to pieces, especially if the opponent relies on status to stop it and it's running a Lum Berry. And it is scared to death of Rock moves, but then again Salamence, Landorus, Gliscor, and Dragonite are all scared of Ice moves. Gyarados is scared of Electric moves. Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Forretress are all scared of Fire moves. Heatran is scared of Ground moves. Blissey is scared of...honestly, any powerful physical attack. Does that mean all of these are bad too?

None of that makes Volcarona a bad competitive Pokemon. It still has a great base 100 speed, which is outspeeding most of OU after one Quiver Dance, and an incredible base 135 SpA stat. Fire/Bug coverage gets surprisingly good coverage in OU, and a Fire Blast coming from that kind of SpA stat at +1 in the Sun is breathtaking. Not to mention its great base 105 SpD stat, which lets it soak up plenty of special attacks.

Zachmac

All Cacturne needs is sand to be successful lol. Cacturne is a pretty cool mon and I've seen plenty of people use it extremely well. Anyways as far bad competitive stuff the list is endless, but most pokes have their own niches in certain areas and tiers.
It actually needs a bit of support. I've seen it successful at a decent ranking on Smogon's ladder. The team was full of paralysis supporters and a Tyranitar. It would take advantage of Sand Veil/Paralysis to set up a substitute, but even then, their Gliscor and Jirachi were more annoying. I'll admit it was Cacturne managed to take out two of my pokemon before going down, and ultimately cost me that battle.

The 20% chance to avoid attacks isn't all a pokemon needs to be good. That Cacturne had quite a bit of paralysis support. I'd say four paralysis spreaders for it is quite a bit of support, and without them, it wouldn't of been able to touch me. Maybe land a sucker punch or two before it went down.

Eaglehawk

Banned
Seaking sucks. hands Down.

Lanik

If only Klinklang's special attack was higher than its attack. It can learn more special moves than physical moves, someone at Game Freak must have rushed when making it. I don't think it even deserves to be in RU.

Zachmac

If only Klinklang's special attack was higher than its attack. It can learn more special moves than physical moves, someone at Game Freak must have rushed when making it. I don't think it even deserves to be in RU.
I just think it needs more physical moves. Even if it could use special moves effectively, it'd be niche-less.

Status
Not open for further replies.