• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Worst dub performances?

SailorPika

Dark Poke'mon Lover
What character voices in English dubs of anime are really bad to you? Whether they sound annoying, hurting your ears, not character appropriate, or just plain bad acting, they can sound horrible. The ones I can think of...

Shoutmon (Digimon Fusion/Xros Wars)- In the dub, Shoutmon sounds like either a 20 something year old guy who hasn't gone through puberty yet or just a guy who had his balls cut off. Ben Diskin's a good voice actor for the most part, but his Shoutmon sounds so annoying.

Sanji (One Piece, 4Kids dub)- As far as the voices in 4Kids' dub of OP goes, Sanji's was the worst (Zoro, Nami, and Chopper's voices in that dub were actually the better ones). First of all, he sounded too old, and they gave him some accent and it made him sound like he was drunk. Did not seem appropriate at all. Thank God Funimation gave him a better voice.

Usagi as voiced by Linda Ballantyne (Sailor Moon dub of seasons 3 & 4)- Nowadays, I have mixed feelings towards Linda as Sailor Moon. Most of the time, she made Usagi sound like an old lady trying to sound like a teen or a bad impersonation of Jessie from Pokemon. But I must admit, she actually sounded really good in Sailor Moon's more dramatic and serious moments, as well as Princess/Neo Queen Serenity. So yeah, it's mixed.

The Powerpuff Girls Z (PPGZ Ocean dub)- Need I say more? Here's to hoping they redub it using the voices from the original PPG cartoon.

J Ken

RAVE
Beyblade's dub is terrible I mean everyone sounds like an idiot ad they say the dumbest things. I mean who says sonny boy or buddy boy?

Everyone voicing any main character previously voiced by a 4Kids voice actor in the current Pokemon English dub: they're all terrible for different reasons.

So, basically, from the current English dub of Pokemon-- it's awful.

Last edited:
Pretty much this. I'll also add Beyblade, and ODEX's dub of Yugioh DM for everybody, mostly the two Yugis.

I'll agree with that: Sugoroku/Solomon sounds like a texan hillbilly in the Odex/Singapore of YGO, Yami Bakura sounds like Peter Lorre, Mokuba Kaiba sounds like a man inside a kid's body...freaking awful stuff.

The TPCi dub of Pokemon has the worst dub performances I've heard along with the Odex dub of YGO:

Sarah Natochenny's Ash sounds like a 17 y/o chain smoker and not a 10 year old boy.
Bill Rogers' Brock sounds like a 50 y/o constipated old man who smokes, and not a 15 year old teenager.
JCC's James sounds like a fat, nasally man in his mid 40s doing a bad imitation of Eric Stuart's AG James, not a 25 year old guy.
Michele Knotz's Jessie sounds like a teenage valley girl opera singer on drugs, not a 25 year old woman.
JCC's Meowth sounds like a 70 y/o chain smoking biker and not a cat.
Sarah Natochenny's Delia sounds like a transvestite manly man and not a caring mother who is 29 years old.
JCC's Professor Oak sounds like a grotesque fusion of Carter's Gary voice and TPCi's James voice that is an evil mad scientist in a dungeon with a head cold, not like any old man.
Michele Knotz's May sounds like a 40 year old hooker (BF) to a 8 year old girl inhaling helium with a thick Southern Valley Accent (DP) and was terrible.
Kayzie Rogers' Max sounds like an old woman and not an 8 year old boy.

It's just horrific, IMO.

Also, who says that someone "reminds me o'me" or "Observation! I'm an observer! I'm doin' it!" or speaks in alliterations and assonance 24/7? :smh:

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Just about any OVA dub from up to the early-to-mid 90s before anime was taken more seriously, even though I think everyone can agree that Speed Racer is the go-to anime when it comes to an atrocious dub. Sure, some of the voice actors would get better and voice characters in better dubs, but back then, ha. Ted Lewis was pretty bad back in the day. If you want proof of it, go watch Detonator Orgun and Battle Arena Toshinden dubbed. Those are bad, much like how the dubs of Garzey's Wing, Dark Cat, Psychic Wars, and Diatron-5 are in the vein of legendarily-bad anime.

But if you want a bad dub performance, off the top of my head, Alan Marriott is your man. I mean, he might be a decent voice actor, he was just most likely cast by crappy voice directors, especially since he worked for Manga Entertainment. Hoo boy, Manga Entertainment. I may have just gotten around to watching their dubs in recent months, but let me tell you, they just don't make dubs like that anymore.

I nominate the english dub voice actor of Tenchi and voice actress of Princess Ayeka in Tenchi Muyo & Tenchi Universe. Despite this, i still love both of them greatly. One of the few bad voice acting performances i can tolerate fairly easily. TenchiRyokoshipping ftw!

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
Everyone who voiced a character in the K-ON! dub. I'm not a dub fan in the slightest, but for the most part I don't care if someone watches a dub over the subbed version, the one exception to this is K-ON! If I find someone is watching/has watched this dubbed, I can't help but wonder why they are settling for the much inferior experience.

Everyone who voiced a character in the K-ON! dub. I'm not a dub fan in the slightest, but for the most part I don't care if someone watches a dub over the subbed version, the one exception to this is K-ON! If I find someone is watching/has watched this dubbed, I can't help but wonder why they are settling for the much inferior experience.

I settled for the "inferior "experience (>=() because to me the original voices always annoy me more than the dub plus if there is even one VA that I like in an anime that'll cause me to like the whole thing unless another character is really, really, really bad.

It takes a lot to make me hate a dub but there are dubs that even I hate such as the Azumanga Daioh dub special mention goes to Chiyo whos VA sounds like she's trying too hard to sound like a 7 year old girl and Osaka who sounds like she's stoned, yes I know Osaka is the token cloudcuckoolander but she doesn't need to sound that out of it.

CuriousHeartless

I feel like Bryce Papenbrook did a really poor job as Eren in Attack on Titan. Which is sad, since I really liked him as Rin is Blue Exorcist. I really didn't like Josh Grelle as Armin either.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I feel like Bryce Papenbrook did a really poor job as Eren in Attack on Titan. Which is sad, since I really liked him as Rin is Blue Exorcist. I really didn't like Josh Grelle as Armin either.

In all fairness, Bryce Papenbrook doing the voice of a ten-year-old Eren is bad. His voice did start to fit better once the time-skips happened, so it was much more bearable to listen to. I think Josh Grelle as Armin's not bad either, but this is coming from someone who's choosing to watch the show dubbed, and so any and all voice-casts have not bothered me. I dunno, unless I feel the voice just doesn't fit a character at all, dub voices don't bother me (which is why I have little qualms with the CLANNAD dub, and I watched it subbed, first). It could be because I just don't recognize voices, or at least the names of the voice actors/actresses, so I rarely have any expectations.

Outside of the obvious jabs at 4KIDS (even though a lot of the voice actors and actresses are good at their job), the only dub voice that I truly feel is bad (even though all we got is the trailer) is David Vincent as Senketsu. I mean, I don't know how good of a voice actor he is to begin with, but it's a poor casting choice any way you look at it, and I really doubt he'll grow into his role at all.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
The regular Pokémon anime; it's been ages since I've watched it but everyone sounds like they're on helium. Origins was pretty good though.

As for individual characters... Urutori from Utawarerumono sounds like her voice was done on a synthesizer, and Kamiyuu sounds like something from 4Kids. (Just so you know, it was dubbed by ADV Films)

CuriousHeartless

I think Josh Grelle as Armin's not bad either, but this is coming from someone who's choosing to watch the show dubbed, and so any and all voice-casts have not bothered me.

Actually, I don't hate Josh Grelle's performance. Heck, he sounded a lot like his performance as Kenichi and I liked that. I just think it sounds weird coming from Armin's body. I have the same problem with Shardis. His voice is perfect for a tough guy like him, but sounds odd coming from his body.

Loki's voice from Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok annoys me a bit. It seems to be the perfect pitch to give me a headache after more than one episode in a row.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
As for non-English stuff... I watched a clip about two minutes long of FMAB that was in Portugese and I just stopped watching after a minute. o_O Edward sounded more like a stereotypical Italian than a 15-year-old. Also, his voice is way too deep in the Latin American dub.

A lot of people don't like Maxey Whitehead's Alphonse voice in Brotherhood, but I disagree. While I admit Al sounded really weird in the last episode and armour-Al didn't sound much like a ten-year-old, her voices for 5-year-old-Al and soulless-Al were pretty good. As for armour-Al's voice, even though it wasn't a good ten-year-old impression, it still fit him in this version IMO because he acted more mature. /ramble

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
Okay so
1.Katie Griffen as Alex on Totally Spies. Don't get me wrong, I love Katie Griffen, her performance as Ray/Sailor Mars was perfect. But I prefer Katie Leigh as Alex because she suits her more, and Griffen makes Alex sound obnoxious
2.Zoro (One Piece) 4kids dub. The funimation version gives him more of his character rather than 4kids did. Just doesn't suit.
3. Pokemon
As for 4kids I couldn't stand Lisa Ortiz's voice. It was just weird..and for the PUSA/TAJ/TPCi dubbing I can't stand most of them. Except I absolutely love Billy Regan, his voice fits the characters pretty well, and I do like Emily Jeneses and more.

2.Zoro (One Piece) 4kids dub. The funimation version gives him more of his character rather than 4kids did. Just doesn't suit.
His 4Kids voice wasn't bad at all, IMO: Chris Sabat and Marc Diraison are equally good to me as Zoro, really-- Diraison was pretty much the only good 4Kids' OP actor, IMO: now, 4Kids' Usopp was nothing short of an awful nightmare, on the other hand. I'm surprised no one put down that abomination of a voice...

Last edited:

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
His 4Kids voice wasn't bad at all, IMO: Chris Sabat and Marc Diraison are equally good to me as Zoro, really-- pretty much the only good 4Kids' OP actor, IMO: now, 4Kids' Usopp was nothing short of an awful nightmare, on the other hand. I'm surprised no one put down that abomination of a voice...

Yeh, but I didn't really say Diraison's voice acting for Zoro was bad per se, I just preferred Sabat's because it seemed to suit the Zoro character. But yeah Usopp was just...wow..

Yeh, but I didn't really say Diraison's voice acting for Zoro was bad per se, I just preferred Sabat's because it seemed to suit the Zoro character. But yeah Usopp was just...wow..

Well, truthfully, I prefer Sabat's Zoro a bit, too, but that doesn't make Diraison's Zoro bad or worthy of being on this list.

The sad part is, the Odex voices for Usopp are so godawful they make his 4Kids voice sound alright...not even kidding.

Last edited: