• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Worst/Hated battle in Anipoke History

I do recall that ridiculous Eevee/Marshtomp contest battle. Literally showed off a curbstomping only to outright negate it just to make Eevee and May look good. Horrendously written.
Marshtomp deserved to win and evolve. Then again I’m biased af because the Mudkip line is my favorite Pokemon line. (Favorite Pokemon is not part of an evolutionary line)

Krackochu

If Chloe gets into a battle with TR that would be the worst battle.

Jk
The worst battle to me is basically everytime they have Pikachu job against the first gym leaders like why in god's name.

I think the first gym battle in Kalos can be excused, because yes Pikachu lost to a Surskit, but Ash was caught off guard by the icy field strategy and wasn't prepared for that.
And Ash was still BW and hadn’t been in a legit battle for over 20 episodes. He was rusty until Serena snapped him out of it.
Still should have done better on the ice battle field considering he’s dealt with that before

Kage-Pikachu

Ash vs Trip was awful, Pikachu was effectively hit by Disable from Zekrom but still had access to Iron Tail and Quick Attack yet still fell to a Snivy with 0 battling experience. Pikachu has won many battles without electricity so that was just terrible.

Ash vs Morrison was terrible for the first half since Morrison wasn't fighting in his best mental state. He was able to bounce back with some victories but he lost 2 Pokemon due to his unwillingness to battle Ash seriously.

Ash vs Elesa was dumb but mostly due to Ash's overconfidence in Palpitoad. I actually enjoyed the actual battle, he was just such an idiot during the battle. he pulled a Kameron before Kameron...

Ash vs Kameron had terrible decisions made by both battlers and i hated how it progressed after Hydreigon went down. I think Ash was made to look incredibly pathetic against a trainer that sent out 2 pokemon with 4x weaknesses against Ash's Pokemon and didn't have any particular strategy to overcome the type disadvantage (both Ferrothorn and Swanna lost against Pignite and Pikachu respectively without doing any critical damage).

I say Ash vs Trip was the worst

inb4 that first battle with Wulfric where he gets swept by Avalugg (but it does lead into the best episode of the entire anime, so I won't complain)

I'll post my entire episode ranking eventually. Just waiting for the right time to do it.
Ash lost because he was cocky. But it was a necessary evil. It led to Ash having actual conflicts with himself and dealing with something mature about himself, self doubting himself, for the first time in his life.
The scene where he uses Serena as a coat hanger bugs me but that doesn’t mean he’s misogynistic or regards her as inferior. It thanks to Serena alone that Ash got back in the right mindset.
Too bad XY121 was ruined slightly because of the result of the Kalos League, making that episode less impactful.

squashthatapple

Azalea Town Resident
Don’t think I’ve been more frustrated as a viewer watching Ash’s battles against Elesa and Cameron. Elesa’s fight is all sorts of terrible, and the Cameron fight insulted my intelligence irl. Definitely the two most tragic battles. Ash’s matches against Wattson, Morrison, and maybe Hapu are very close.

PaperCutVictim

Pikachu vs Snivy was bad. I get that Zekrom nerfed Pikachu, but still, the decision to even have that be a thing was really, really dumb.

Ash vs Cameron was something else in the worst way possible. These two battles make it really hard to defend BW, even though I actually liked it for the most part.

Ash vs Hau wasn't great, but at least just save the dumb owl napping for the end so it looks like a double KO, but he wakes up before the ref's call. Also, maybe don't trust an untrustworthy pokemon to come through for you next time, Ash.

No, I wouldn't overturn the result. Calling a sleeping pokemon KO'd was a decision done by one dumb Kanto ref in the middle of a series that was more "anything goes" than any other in the show's lifetime, and was a decision that was literally never referenced again because there hasn't been a sleep = KO call since. The only thing Hau got robbed of was the opportunity to get curbstomped by ya boy Guzma.

Last edited:

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I think the first gym battle in Kalos can be excused, because yes Pikachu lost to a Surskit, but Ash was caught off guard by the icy field strategy and wasn't prepared for that.
I know I'm responding to a dead account but
I don't think it's that excusable, it was still a Surskit vs an experienced Pikachu

PaperCutVictim

I don't think it's that excusable, it was still a Surskit vs an experienced Pikachu
I don't think there's anything wrong about the result, as while it's a Surskit, it's a gym leader's Surskit, and seeing how we later learn Viola has the rank of Duchess at the Battle Chateau and only needed one more win to hit the rank of Grand Duchess, she's clearly not some random scrub trainer (which should be abundantly clear anyway since she's, well, a GYM LEADER).

That being said, the way he lost left a lot to be desired. Even if Viola took them off guard by freezing the battlefield, Ash and Pikachu should have adapted quicker, especially since one of Ash's hallmarks was how he can adapt to his opponents. Having something like Pikachu use Iron Tail to "stand" on the ice and Thunderbolt (like he did against Vivillon in the rematch) but then have Surskit use its superior mobility to dodge, flank Pikachu while the battlefield is covered in smoke/steam/whatever, and get a free Signal Beam at his back would have been more understandable as a finisher; obviously the battle should last longer than that.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
The game's leveling mechanic is entirely irrelevant to the anime, as well as its base stat mechanics being largely irrelevant. The only real advantage Pikachu had was being Electric-type, which doesn't even resist Water.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
The game's leveling mechanic is entirely irrelevant to the anime, as well as its base stat mechanics being largely irrelevant. The only real advantage Pikachu had was being Electric-type, which doesn't even resist Water.
I'm not talking about game levels(i actually hate when people say Snivy was level 5) but there are of course levels of strength/experience still
Her Surskit might be experienced, this might be a way around it

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
If pikachu can beat much bigger opponents, I don’t see anything wrong with other pre-evolve pokemon being in the same level as Pikachu, which means is totally valid for the rat to get defeated by them as well.

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
For me personally, it's the Lake Acuity battle.

For the fandom at large, probably Ash vs. Alain, even though that one is actually good. Before that happened, it was probably Ash vs. Ritchie (worst anime referee ever) or Ash vs. Cameron or Ash vs. Elesa (dumb character decisions).

Same. Not a fan of that battle.

But speaking for the fandom: Ash vs. Elesa (Not even Kanto Ash would only take one Pokémon to a Gym Battle. Also makes no sense that he would leave the rest of his team behind), Ash vs. Cameron (5 vs 6. Enough said), and Ash vs. Trip I.