1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Worst Moments of XY(&Z)

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Litleonid, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Litleonid

Litleonid Well-Known Member

We have a topic dedicated to the best moments of the XY(&Z) anime series of Pokemon, though what were some moments you thought were some of the worst moments, or even moments you just weren't too crazy about.

Here are a couple of mine.
    -Ash losing to Alain and his broken Charizard in the Kalos League Finals.
    -Just seeing Alain defeating Korrina and gaining his 8th badge, 7 episodes after saying he wasn't interested.
    -Ash releasing Goodra.
    -Just seeing Mega Charizard Y's debut being used to showcase how broken Alain's Mega Charizard X is.
    -Bonnie going back to her marriage gag after realizing she doesn't want someone to take Clemont away from her.

2. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

1. The pointless Furfrou trainer battle.
    2. Performing as a goal. Just a shameless contest rip off.

3. Xenon Blue

Xenon Blue No Hard Feelings

- Showcases. They were awful IMO.
    - Serena taking forever to find something to do.
    - Goodra getting left in the wetlands, then came back near the end only to do very little in the league
    - The Kalos League. All of it. Maybe Ash vs Shota gets a pass, but the rest was a train-wreck.

4. qazplmwsxo

qazplmwsxo Well-Known Member

Pokemon showcase-the most boring competition in pokemon anime history

5. Greneuliest808

Greneuliest808 Future Graduate

Like the best moments, I'll list my worst moments until after the XY/XYZ series is over.

6. satopi

satopi SM Ash is best Ash! All hail Champion Ash!

-Showcases
    -Amourshipping in general wasting precious screentime. It isn't benefiting Serena's character, I wish she moved on
    -TR's amazing song used once and having lazy, copy & paste cardboard animation
    -Ash losing to Bedhead
    -Ash not caring and smiling after his loss
    -Alan doing nothing in general with his time, he needs a hobby
    -Clemont being into Arbok bondage and blending in the background after the Gym battle loss (same with Luxray)
    -No past characters and barely continuity
    -Manon not getting enough screentime
    -Goodra's battle in the League
    -Froufrou trainer's last minute distraction that almost made Ash disqualified
    -Greninja fainting after a few minutes of few hits
    -Alan's moans
    -Bonnie's Puni chan song
    -Dedenne being useless
    -The nonstop praise of XY&Z being the best saga ever until Ash's loss in the League, turning it into the opposite
    -Most of the fillers
    -The groupies
    -Bedhead not being a fugitive and going on the run, getting a new identity in the end
    -Bedhead not getting fake badges
    -Barely any humor

7. TheScentedApple

TheScentedApple Well-Known Member

- Clemont's filler before the league
    - The hype of a league victory that turned out to be false
    - Goodra and Noivern both getting a draw and a loss at the league
    - THE DUB

8. Locormus

Locormus Can we please get the old forum back?

A thread dedicated to the worst moments? Oh, I don't think this will turn into a bashing thread?

Why am I not surprised...

And ffs, lets take a look at them:
    - Ash will beat Alan in the Team Flare-arc. You can't have him beat Alan before or there will be no dramatic tension. Suck it.
    - Alan's interest was partially sparked by his intent to want to face Ash again, that's fair.
    - Be grateful we saw him beat Korrina, he already has the strength to go through ten Mega Evolutions in one go, and can go toe to toe with an E4. His Charizard can fly, so time isn't an issue.
    - The narrative of Ash vs. Clemont kinda had to have them have a major powerhouse or the battle would fall flat. But sticking a Goodra on his team for the remainder of the journey would be too much apparently. Hence they parked it immediately afterwards and made the decision to use it again when it was appropriate to have such a powerhouse: the League.
    - It's not just MC-Y, Trevor and Tierno were bothed used to hype up Sawyer and Alan. The fact that MC-Y got pummeled was probably because Trevor is just WAF, as he has been in all battles he was in. Don't give me the crap about Ash calling in his Charizard and Mega Evolve it. That would've been an absurd choice when Ash-Greninja was going to take center stage.
    - The Bonnie thing.. I'll give you that.

The rest of your points is just moaning, probably because you can't see the bigger picture going on.

Uhm.. Pardon me asking, but.. "Arbok Bondage"? When did that happen?

Also, do you mean you think it's a worst moment that people are whining about the league loss, or what? Because XYZ (including Mega Evolution Act I-IV) is still probably the best contained series of about 50 episodes we have in terms of writing.

The league loss doesn't matter much at all. The fact that the league was basically skipped over aside from two battles is a pretty major disappointment though.

HAHA!

The dub! Good one!

You do realize that the "hype of a league victory" was never real? Nowhere outside of fanforums was there anything that outright said: "Hey, Ash is going to win this thing". No, it said: "Ash has his ultimate team, and their mind set on winning!", but then on the same page: "Alan can't lose now! He has too much to fight for!". They were built up as roughly equals, yet everybody and their mother went and thought that this was the moment. NO. WRONG. The moment will still come though, but in the Flare-arc we knew was coming and still needed tension.

9. Haunter ゴースト

Haunter ゴースト Well-Known Member

I'm gonna wait until my review of XY when it's finished to list this.

I've gotta say though, how many more butthurt Ash lost the Kalos league posts do we need here?

10. Lunala

Lunala Banned

Showcases were not my thing and I found myself becoming disinterested with Serena's story. Bonnie's gag sucked as well.

I'll probably go further and mention more things when the series is over and the actual XYZ review thread is up in Episode Discussions.

11. Emperor Empoleon

Emperor Empoleon Honor of Kalos

Ash telling Serena to bugger off when she came out to find [and empathize with] his sorry hide, after he went missing for a whole night (and part of the morning) to angst in the frozen wilderness without even bringing any Pokemon. Or food. Or a blanket. Or anything. Completely over-dramatic on his part.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  12. Cetra

Cetra Pokémon Master

That is nonsense, a writer can easily write both battles with Ash's win if he knows what he's doing, and I cannot believe that you are only in this thread to destroy people's points. Or try it, for what its worth.

Right now for me:

- Inconsequentical League in case everything was just bad writing
    - Overall performance of many battles - many of those battles start off really good. I guess but the ending itself id not properly lead to; I noticed that a lot during the league, not just in the final battle
    - Not bringing back older Pokémon/characters

13. nandermind

nandermind Active Member

untill the end my most hated part ever is kalos league final

far more hate than entire BW series

atleast im still liked that coz its more game like

14. Pteranodonte

Pteranodonte Well-Known Member

- Alain and DEMzard;
    - Useless companions and their stupid goals;
    - Rushed League.

15. CelebiAS

CelebiAS Well-Known Member

None so far.

16. Janovy

Janovy Banned

The godawful Binacle lockpicking episode.

17. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

* Too many of the usual deus ex machina evolutions, only even more exaggerated (Noviern's is a blatant case). Goodra was perhaps the one exception since it needed to learn Rain Dance to achieve it, thus the evolution was a reward for hard work rather than a manner of avoiding it.

* Most of Serena's battles are boring and undeveloped, largely because she can only really handle curb stomp battles without needing bailed out.

* Too many formulaic Team Rocket plots. While they were at least challenging early on, by XYZ they were back to being totally outclassed, perhaps even more so because they had to make the heroes go lax on them to draw out anything of a proper face-off (eg. using one Pokemon at a time). Even as someone who loves Team Rocket, I find this monotonous after a while, especially right after BW's arc focus for them.

* The crappy dub edits. I mean the dialogue and voices aren't AWFUL, but the elevator music and half assed title cards are pointless. Why not just use the resources you already paid for properly?

* 'Dodge' spamming. Ruins a lot of good battles and punctuates how little the trainer influences the Pokemon's competence ('Don't get hit! Hah, I told them to do that!'). Even just 'dodge left' or 'jump back' would be a huge improvement.

* The whole 'evolved Pokemon don't do funny' rule in full blast here, par maybe for Goodra. I don't care how badass you want him to be, how can you make a frigging frog ninja not do anything comical?

* Though I didn't think the showcases were that bad, I do admit a lot of the performances were kind of bland. Serena's in particular often felt interchangeable, which is a shame since early episodes like the Pokevision one suggested she might be more eccentric and theme-happy.

* A more ignorable one, but I kinda miss Serena's early long haired design, along with the slightly more hyper personality that went with it. The attire change was so drastic I sometimes struggle to connect the two designs as the same character.

18. STICKTOPIA

STICKTOPIA Well-Known Member

- Making Goomy evolve so fast just to go back to the wetlands.
    -Noivern's horrible treatment
    -Making Goodra come back to the league just to get a double KO and a loss.
    -Pikachu brought Charizard to its knees and still beat Greninja.

19. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

Wait, isn't OP asking for the worst moments, and not overall flaws?

The worst moments are some of the most boring fillers, like the lockpick episode, that Chesnaught farming, the Lapras kids, etc. That time and budget could have been saved later for the league.

Other than that, the first two league episodes could have been rewritten way better.

20. Mr. Reloaded

Mr. Reloaded At this point, who knows?

- The poorly executed Showcases
    - Noivern
    - Goodra's triumphant return (amounts to absolutely nothing)
    - The entirety of the league
    - A good chunck of the filler
    - Busted Zard X