• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Worst Moments of XY(&Z)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsRight

Team Rocket were pretty decent this series, just they got too formulaic. By the time of XYZ everyone could predict their schemes and involvement and got sick of them. Characterization wise however, they were near perfect, had a sizeable amount of non villainous episodes to balance it at least and were absent from a chunk of episodes they weren't needed.

They were also the few exempt to the near total lack of continuity this series.

Litleonid

I think I'd agree on the showcases for the most part. Serena's performances were cool, but for the most part, showcases were just bad and I hope we never see them again.

DatsRight

The showcases weren't a bad concept, just blandly done. They needed to make more unique performances that played on the characters more, not just jumping around making flashy lights from their powers. Only Jessie really tried some quirky performances like Meowth's sculpting. We saw Serena doing all sorts of cute silly things with her fashionita stuff early on (eg. trying to get Ash to notice her Fennekin dress), why didn't this play into some unique performances?

STICKTOPIA

Can't we all just agree XY is a huge improvement over BW? At least Ash had progression this season instead of regression
XY is DEFINITELY a 10x more improvement than unova. Put up a thread about worst unova moments and the mods would have to ban me for the amount of horrible stuff I'd be saying about unova.

dp045

In general, XY / & Z to have been the best anime series of all and better than Best Wishes, was in my opinion. To and out may be consensus on some issues such as the goal of Serena was not the best option and it took forever to give you (although for me it is a favorite pokegirl of the whole franchise, not just anime) or the League of Kalos was a disaster both in its development and in its descenlace but after all are only perceptions merely sub-jective of each and if we rely on only fact I think the anime of the sixth generation: XY , XY & Z and ME Special to the best thing that has given pokémon because the pros are more than cons.
But good if something were hate two things: that we sell bait titles deceptions where they took advantage of the issue of shipping (59 XY, XYZ 13) or step in league with the word "Victory". And that spending more or less progressive pace in XY to a more accelerated XYZ at the end end up hurting the goals of Serena and Ash (the Master Class and the League) and much context is left with the argument "that happened off screen ", as is the progression of Sawyer and Alain won 8 medals in 7 episodes.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
BW wasn't all that bad I mean for pete's sake people, majority of the fillers were good not including majority of DA. That's an accomplishment in itself. I swear...

I thought the Showcases were bad (espiecially Serena's Performances) not just because they were blandly done but because it had basically EVERY skill that Serena knew/had experience in. Lets not forget her Performances were just her moving left & right for a bit, her Pokémon doing the same moves to make sparkles, she does a spin as her Pokémon show off their acrobatic skills, and then end it with "Finish!!" in a cutesy voice "raises one hand to the sky". Her Performances felt the same and even with Sylveon in the mix, it just added a bit more spice in an already recycled recipe. The upbeat, pop music helped hype up her Performance and attempted to get the audience into it. I thought someone like Miette and most certainly Jessie's Performances were a lot more creative and entertaining. But Serena's final Performance was a lot better than the glorified Kalos Clown known as Elle. I can't stand that stupid fake wig and mismatched clothes, specifically that umbrella skirt, she has on.

Last edited:

STICKTOPIA

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
BW wasn't all that bad I mean for pete's sake people, majority of the fillers were good not including majority of DA. That's an accomplishment in itself. I swear...

Yea I do think BW gets a bit too much hate. It's bad don't get me wrong but it's not as awful as most people say it is. Really if you ignore Ash's incompetence and reset, it's not that bad. Now granted that is a really big factor to ignore, but the redeeming factors such as arguably having the best lineup of fillers (not the DA! bullcrap though), well-built mini tournaments and a pretty good start all gets overshadowed way too much.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I actually enjoyed some of DA!'s fillers. Especially the one where the Beheeyem couldn't mind-control Ash and Team Rocket because they were stated to be idiots.

The ones with Alexa were pretty good too imo sans the Gogoat episode.

Then you have XY(Z) where the only good fillers I can think of are the Espurr filler, Team Rocket cosplaying the XY gang, and Serena wearing Ash's clothes. The rest were either meh to terrible to me.

EeveelutionTrainer

I haven't watched too many episodes of XY and XYZ compared to everyone else on the forums...but I can say that the Pokemon Showcases and the Ash vs Alain league outcome were probably the worst of what I have seen or been aware of. I never actually watched a showcase episode, but I saw small clips of some showcases and they never seemed interesting to me. They seemed similar to contests, but worse (which is saying something because I never liked contests). It seems many people who actually watched the showcase episodes would agree. It's probably my biggest complaint about Serena as a character, if she had a better goal (like sky battling) her character would have been even better.

And the Ash vs Alain league outcome. Not just the result, but how it was portrayed, how it ignored Ash's character development, how it made it look like Mega Charizard X is invincible, etc. I'm sure many of you remember other issues with it, so I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:

satopi

I actually enjoyed some of DA!'s fillers. Especially the one where the Beheeyem couldn't mind-control Ash and Team Rocket because they were stated to be idiots.

The ones with Alexa were pretty good too imo sans the Gogoat episode.

Then you have XY(Z) where the only good fillers I can think of are the Espurr filler, Team Rocket cosplaying the XY gang, and Serena wearing Ash's clothes. The rest were either meh to terrible to me.

XY&Z is a extremely short saga anyway. We literally got episodes of it back in late October of last year. And there's so many plans and intense arcs involved in it that fillers are nothing but a second thought or way to pass time. I don't blame it for having not so good filler episodes.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I didn't like how Ash left his Goodra at the swamp only to get him back like forty episodes later. It was X&Y's worst writing decision to me and the swamp subplot as a whole seemed like a waste of time. I wish it hadn't even existed and that we had gotten a Hoenn themed mini arc instead. :[

satopi

Our Lord Goodra fainted in vain. I expected more from 'Ash's long awaited team member'. Especially a hard earned, entertaining battle. And people said they gave up on Ash's chances of winning the League when he released Lord Goodra...

I think the swamp arc was necessary for Goodra's character. It explained why he fell from the sky (onto Ash's head) and we got to see a bit of Goodra's life before meeting Ash and friends.

Markerz

Yeah, I think Goodra's treatment after unleashing his departure as swamp protector was pretty sub-optimal in general.

The poor guy deserved better, he was removed as a character only to come back as a pedestal for others' glory. Imagine if he had stayed instead. They could've done a lot with its interactions to Ash's other Pokemon, especially Noibat. The former coward helping Hawlucha make Noibat more resilient would've been an interesting dynamic, but alas wishful thinking is all we can do. ;)

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Yeah, I think Goodra's treatment after unleashing his departure as swamp protector was pretty sub-optimal in general.

The poor guy deserved better, he was removed as a character only to come back as a pedestal for others' glory. Imagine if he had stayed instead. They could've done a lot with its interactions to Ash's other Pokemon, especially Noibat. The former coward helping Hawlucha make Noibat more resilient would've been an interesting dynamic, but alas wishful thinking is all we can do. ;)

They couldn't let him stay because IKUZEfrog needed spotlight and Barney would rot inside the pokeball. Also the writers were probably trying to pull of a Charizard/Gliscor and make an epic comeback but failed miserably.

Red and Blue

Believe it or not, people watch this anime for more than just Ash.

Well yeah, but considering Ash is the main character I'd say his amount of progression each season contributes to the overall season's quality. And the fact that he made runner up is a bug plus for me

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
-Ash losing to Alain because in fact I was so hyped for an Ash victory
-Serena only having three Pokémon. All the other Pokégirls have more Pokémon than her
-Goodra being left behind at the swamp
-Ash also losing to Wulfric and Sawyer
-Serena not getting many opportunities to battle those other than Team Rocket, which were instead replaced with fillers, Showcases and focus on other characters (in the beginning)
-Clemont not getting as much attention after Serena starts her goal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.