• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Worth getting?

The new Pokemon worth getting?

• Get the game.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • Don't get the game.

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

IceSpear

Shadow...
Is the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon worth getting?
I've been think about getting it, but I don't know... It seems that it doesn't look as good as the old games...

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
I wasn't sure whether it was worth getting it or not, but I decided to go ahead and get it. I certainly don't regret it. I personally love the storyline, it's a little bit easier than the earlier PMD, but still challenging. And of course, there's the Magnagates that can keep you going forever.

In short, definitely worth getting.

Rakurai

If you were a big fan of the previous games, you'll probably enjoy it despite the low Pokemon count, as it's improved in pretty much every other aspect.

Rakurai

You really can't trust reviews for the PMD games, as most of the "professional" reviewers gave them terrible scores simply because they hate rogue-likes.

hawkmbl

Curious
You really can't trust reviews for the PMD games, as most of the "professional" reviewers gave them terrible scores simply because they hate rogue-likes.

This.

Don't believe it? Look up a metacritic review for Ys I and II, and you'll see

Chakra1412

yeah you just can't trust reviews online for these games. even some of the best review sites destroyed it in ratings. It is much better than they put it. As others have said already if you enjoyed the previous ones you will love this one as well. Definitely worth getting the new one

Manna

Rockin' the Suburbs
The storyline is worth the price of admission alone.

But there's also amazing music, great characters, and an awesome presentation that more than makes up for GTI's faults. It's sooo worth getting.

BayBeeBoi

I havn't played any of the previous Mystery Dungeon games, but I'm totally in love with this one. There is so much content its awesome. I would recomand that you get it, but in the end its ony your own opinion that matters.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
You'll enjoy this game. It's awesome and worth getting.
I've had so much fun with this game even though lots of Pokemon are missing.

too-weak

Is it as good or better than Explorers? That's debateable. But either way it was well worth my $35. Some things are done better (such as the storyline-required recruits are actually relevant and somewhat developed as characters during the main story) and others are done worse (limited starter and total pokemon selection).
Mixed bag compared to Explorers, but I am considering buying two more (one for story replay without deleting save, one to give to friend before he leaves for Japan next year).

Zorupix

Master of Illusions
This is my own little review of the game. Take it as you will, but this is what I've experienced of the game.

1) THE BEST LOOKING PMD GAME TO DATE. Seriously this is the most gorgeous Pokemon game to date, the world is vibrant and colorful, and the 3D Pokemon models look incredible. I can't wait for X and Y if this is any indication of what Pokemon on 3DS can do.
2) This may be a con for some: The game is more streamlined, meaning, it's a lot more accessible for people who have not played the previous entries.
3) The Dungeons themselves have these sub puzzles where they take you out of the Dungeon, these are a nice change of pace. Also for dungeons, they look incredible in terms of layout and design, and finding the staircase is more challenging than the others.
4) Menus look a lot more like clean and easy to use.
5) Your moves can be upgradable. ie) Dragon Rage can be turned into Dragon Rage II; giving it more PP, accuracy, or damage.
6) This may be a con for some: Hunger is gone for the majority of the game.
7) The MagnaGates are a nice distraction. You can enter random dungeon as other teams and collect items from that random dungeon. They give you a difficulty level as well. The items you take back can be used for your main party, but you can't take the Pokemon there.
8) Street Pass and DLC. Streetpass can be used if you faint in a dungeon, someone can help you if they have the game as well. DLC is offered and the first one is free until April 30th.
9) A nice amount of upgrades, in terms of bag, rank, properties for your paradise, etc.
10) The music in this game is incredible! I normally don't use headphones for handheld game, and for some I mute it, but for this I had it on full volume for the music.

Cons:
1) Game is a little on the Easy side. Since hunger is gone for most of the game, you mainly have to worry about PP consumption. Even then PP restorative items are all too easy to find as you progress.
2) ONLY 5 STARTERS This can be "game breaking" for some, because you can only choose: The Gen 5 Starters, Pikachu, and Axew. Last PMD had around 19. To me that is lazy because you have much more processing power on the 3DS.
3) There seems to be lacking a lot of the older Pokemon and even some from Gen 5 are missing.
4) You can only do ONE REQUEST at a time. I find that very annoying that even though there are three or four requests on a board for the same dungeon, you can only do one at a time.
5) Text Speed. It's very slow, and unskippable.
6) The story itself isn't as long, or epic as the others. It takes awhile for it to hit it's stride, so some may be turned off from this. And there really isn't much after-story at all.
7) You are UNABLE TO CHOOSE YOUR GENDER OR YOUR PARTNER'S GENDER! This is a point of frustration for most that I've talked to on other forum boards. And this is, I believe, out of pure laziness. In the Japanese version, you are able to do so, but in the US version, all choices are 100% male. This pretty much shuts out female players, and it doesn't allow guys to choose to have a female partner.
8) The DLC content adds nothing to the story. They are all only dungeons which provide perks for each. There's no reason why they couldn't have been included with the game other than to use the game in a cash cow fashion.

Overall, I do say it's worth getting if you can get past the flaws. It's not as enjoyable or fulfilling as Sky, but it is still enjoyable in its own way. Still, i would like to see a few patch fixes done to it, namely a return of the gender option that they removed from the US version and had in the Jap version, and extend the post-story a bit more.

Last edited:

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
Personally, the main storyline is great, but not as good as previous mystery dungeons, and the low pokemon count is significant. Plus it's generally what you prefer in a game: gameplay, graphics, story or customisation.

Personally, I think Explorers of The Sky was the best, by far.

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
The main storyline will definitely keep you hooked, so you should get it. Yeah, it is that worth getting.

Rakurai

I really can't understand how some people think Rescue Team had a better story then this game.

Explorers, maybe, but almost nothing stood out about that game's plot to me.

For me, Gates to Infinity's emphasis on character development and the overall presentation of the story were what made me really prefer it to the previous games.

Last edited: