• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would Ash really lose the Kalos League?

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Yes.

But.

The size difference is basically the drawing point in David and Goliath, not power. Ignore the size and the story loses its entire purpose.

Goliath was said to be the champion and greatest fighter among the Philistine army wearing 150 pounds of bronze armor, while David was said to be just a teenager wearing zero armor to protect himself.

Power is what makes it a David and Goliath story.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
...Didn't David win through divine intervention though.

Depends on who you ask. A sling with a rock can be very lethal. Like a bullet to the face. And if it's not the rock that killed Goliath, it's certainly the sword used to decapitate him after he's stunned.

The point is that there is no reason to believe that Mega Charizard X couldn't be beaten by Ash prior to the Kalos League finale. Ash has battled many powerful Pokémon with his team, and many times he won.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
...Didn't David win through divine intervention though.
Basically.... it’s about how trusting in God can make you do the impossible. That’s at least what I got from the story

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I’ve always said, Ash didn’t lose the Kalos League. He got screwed out of winning it. Someone didn’t want him to win. #KalosScrewJob
Getting screwed out of winning is the definition of losing.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I’ve always said, Ash didn’t lose the Kalos League. He got screwed out of winning it. Someone didn’t want him to win. #KalosScrewJob

I mean that's still a loss no matter how you slice it. And it was one of the most predictable losses for Ash no matter how many people tried to use calculus and quantum physics to claim that Ash would win...

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
it was me I rigged the kalos league
Liar! Larry was just finding his gold and accidentally knocked a dumbbell onto Greninja as he launched his orange shuriken.

Larry: Me gold wasn’t in that dumb place.

I mean that's still a loss no matter how you slice it. And it was one of the most predictable losses for Ash no matter how many people tried to use calculus and quantum physics to claim that Ash would win...

I sincerely question the idea that it was “ one of the most predictable losses for Ash “ considering that a vast majority of people did think Ash would win for perfectly legitimate reasons showcased by the show itself. That loss was one of, if the not the biggest surprise in the Pokémon anime; it was a day of mayhem in the Pokémon fandom for sure.

Hindsight is 20/20 and while there were some people during that time period who did predict Ash would lose, to castigate those saw Ash winning and imply that it was somehow clear all along that Ash would lose is pretty unfair assessment of how things went down to me.

I’m not sure if you were on the forum since you joined in 2019 or part of the greater Pokémon anime discourse during that point in time, but there was a sense of real inevitability in Ash finally winning a league based on the events that had transpired. Was it misplaced? Sure, one could say that, based on similarly legitimate reasons, but it was never hoping just for the sake of it.

I’m sure if you ask many XY fans or Pokémon anime fans in general outside of Serebii, that incident is still a sore spot for many.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

I'd of believed in Ash winning the Kalos League if they didn't treat it any differently then any other League like with Alola. That way when he did win it would come as a genuine surprise.

I agree that them hyping up Kalos was a sign he would only make Runner up

Leonhart

Imagineer
SatoSereFan224888 said:

"Screwed" implies sabotage though, and that isn't what happened. I vaguely remember some people making up conspiracy theories about how Fuladari and the rest of the Flare-dan worked behind the scenes to help Alain win, but I don't even want to humor that scenario since it makes absolutely no sense.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
"Screwed" implies sabotage though, and that isn't what happened. I vaguely remember some people making up conspiracy theories about how Fuladari and the rest of the Flare-dan worked behind the scenes to help Alain win, but I don't even want to humor that scenario since it makes absolutely no sense.
He sabotaged himself by telling Alain. Only Ash would do that.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

OwensJB

Even without Alan being there I bet Ash would've lost to Sawyer if the writers had planned things out a little differently and made Sawyer into a tougher rival.