• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would Gen 8 and Future Generations be better off as Open World?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Kanto forcing you to run through Pewter City and Mt. Moon for a second time after Lt. Surge without offering any new story or exploration opportunities there is NOT a good thing imho. It's pointless busy work and pretty boring. And I always thought the "flexibility" on whether to challenge Sabrina or Koga first was less actual flexibility and more a case where the developers didn't secure that part against sequence breaking.
So no, Kanto doesn't really scream non-linear or optional paths to me...
(not that I think a non-linear story is desirable...)
Actually, in the Kanto games, the player doesn't actually have to go through Pewter City and Mt. Moon a second time. The only reason to go back to that general area before the 8th gym is to obtain Flash to make navigation through Rock Tunnel easier.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Kanto forcing you to run through Pewter City and Mt. Moon for a second time after Lt. Surge without offering any new story or exploration opportunities there is NOT a good thing imho. It's pointless busy work and pretty boring. And I always thought the "flexibility" on whether to challenge Sabrina or Koga first was less actual flexibility and more a case where the developers didn't secure that part against sequence breaking.
So no, Kanto doesn't really scream non-linear or optional paths to me...
(not that I think a non-linear story is desirable...)
Edit: That being said I'm all for properly implemented backtracking (new areas to explore and/or story content in old places) optional paths and ex plorable areas, as long as it's all wrapped up in an interesting story.

When did they force you to go through Pewter City and Mt. Moon a second time? Did I miss something from LGPE?

Regardless, there are actually new exploration opportunities in that instance, you have half of Rt. 2 and the backdoor to the Pewter Museum open to you when you come back there after Vermillion. So that's not really pointless busy work. But in general yeah, the backtracking would be a lot more meaningful if new content opened up when you revisited old areas, otherwise it's just padding.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
When did they force you to go through Pewter City and Mt. Moon a second time? Did I miss something from LGPE?

Regardless, there are actually new exploration opportunities in that instance, you have half of Rt. 2 and the backdoor to the Pewter Museum open to you when you come back there after Vermillion. So that's not really pointless busy work. But in general yeah, the backtracking would be a lot more meaningful if new content opened up when you revisited old areas, otherwise it's just padding.
Backtracking can be good if new content pops up once you return. DP is full of this though, because Sinnoh is the most nonlinear region in the core series and there is a lot of backtracking in the Sinnoh games.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
They should definitely make an Open World Pokémon game, sooner or later.

But imo it would work better if said game was not part of the main series games. I think the main series games don't need to change their overall structure and formula.

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Question. What if every town that housed a Gym Leader was some kind of dungeon, puzzle. You had to go through trials before entering the town as each one was controlled by Team Rocket and during these "missions", you meet up with the Gym Leaders that you assist with in defeating Team Rocket. For example, in Pokemon Adventures, and this makes way too much sense that you wondered why GameFreak wouldn't make such an easy little change is that instead of having guards who will only let you into the city if you have some tea, they are guards hired by Team Rocket and the entire city is cut-off by a psychic forcefield and you have to work with other characters to get into the city and defeat Team Rocket's operations there.

It would be kind of like the dungeons of The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild where you can't just waltz into the dungeon like nothing, entering it is a task itself.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
To elaborate further, I think this Open World Pokémon game, shouldn't even follow the main series structure.

The way I imagine it, this Open World game may not even have Gyms or a Pokémon League. It would have a Villain Team you face, however.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I honestly could see GF doing an open world game just for the fans to absolutely hate it.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
They should definitely make an Open World Pokémon game, sooner or later.

But imo it would work better if said game was not part of the main series games. I think the main series games don't need to change their overall structure and formula.
Yeah. Going full BOTW-style open world would drastically change the structure of the game. I believe that you can make the game more open and less like a straight line without turning it into a BOTW-style open world game.

Orphalesion

After battling Lt. Surge you have to go through the Diglett Tunnel, which leads you to Route 2, Pewter Town, Mt. Moon and Cerulean City in order to get to Route 9 and the Rock Tunnel and, eventually, Lavender Town and Celadon City. Isn't it that way in Red, Blue and Yellow?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
After battling Lt. Surge you have to go through the Diglett Tunnel, which leads you to Route 2, Pewter Town, Mt. Moon and Cerulean City in order to get to Route 9 and the Rock Tunnel and, eventually, Lavender Town and Celadon City. Isn't it that way in Red, Blue and Yellow?
Actually, it is not required that you go through Diglett's Cave unless you want Flash. The Underground Tunnel on Route 6 leads right to Route 5, which leads to Cerulean and eventually Route 9 and Rock Tunnel. Although, having Flash does make traversing through Rock Tunnel easier, the game doesn't force you to acquire it.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

None of that is necessary. You can backtrack to Rt. 2 to get Flash which helps you in Rock Tunnel, but it's not actually necessary. You can just as easily go back to Cerulean City through Rt. 5 and 6 and go through Rock Tunnel without Flash. And even if you do go to Rt. 2 to get Flash, you don't need to go through Pewter City and Mt. Moon again, you can go back through Diglett's Cave.

Orphalesion

None of that is necessary. You can backtrack to Rt. 2 to get Flash which helps you in Rock Tunnel, but it's not actually necessary. You can just as easily go back to Cerulean City through Rt. 5 and 6 and go through Rock Tunnel without Flash. And even if you do go to Rt. 2 to get Flash, you don't need to go through Pewter City and Mt. Moon again, you can go back through Diglett's Cave.

Sorry, I should have checked the maps first instead of going by memory. For some reason I thought there's a slope in Cerulean that prevents you from entering the town from route 5. And well, the slope is there, but it doesn't block the way completely, and even if it did, there's alternative entrance behind a cuttable bush which, at that point you can remove. My mistake.
But still, travelling through Route 2 and Mt. Moon with its weak Pokemon again, was not really fun for me at that point and would be a very poor example of an alternate route or open world design.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Sorry, I should have checked the maps first instead of going by memory. For some reason I thought there's a slope in Cerulean that prevents you from entering the town from route 5. And well, the slope is there, but it doesn't block the way completely, and even if it did, there's alternative entrance behind a cuttable bush which, at that point you can remove. My mistake.

Nope, you might be thinking of Rt. 4, once you jump the ledge near the end of the route you can't return to Mt. Moon and all of the areas before then until you get Cut.

But still, travelling through Route 2 and Mt. Moon with its weak Pokemon again, was not really fun for me at that point and would be a very poor example of an alternate route or open world design.

There's really not much they can do about that without level scaling, you know that right? Beyond that, the only thing they could really do is let you avoid the grass or open up new parts of the route on your second visit.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
And every pokemon game, once you beat the elite four, becomes open world.
This is an important point. The games are only "linear" until the Pokémon League.

And by the way, we have seen instances of "Open World design" even during the main game. Just look at the Eastern half of Hoenn (after Lilycove City). You can visit the water routes in whatever order you want.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The Pokemon games have already had open world game design. I consider the 2nd half of pkmn gold very open world since you can take on the gyms in pretty much any order.

And every pokemon game, once you beat the elite four, becomes open world.

This is an important point. The games are only "linear" until the Pokémon League.

Yeah sure, "only" the main game. Way to glaze over the bulk of the content. Post game being open really isn't much in the grand scheme of things, maybe a few areas open up but in general the bulk of the game is done. Being able to progress freely through areas you've cleared doesn't really satisfy the itch for open world gameplay because open world is about exploring new areas. Open world gameplay needs to remove the barriers on your first visit to an area to really work because that's the point where the player doesn't really know what's in store for them or what the game is hiding, and by not having those barriers it gives the game a sense of wonder and that allows the player to drive the game based on their own curiosity and make their own discoveries. If you just open things up in the post game when you've already cleared most of the game, there's really not much left for the player to discover for themselves.

To put it another way, open world games are the video game equivalent of a buffet. You get in and then you can go eat whatever you want. Want to go straight for the entree? Want to have a salad first? Want to eat dessert? They don't really stop you. You just pick something and eat. The current design, though, is like a more traditional restaurant, they have you eat a salad/soup/appetizer, then the main course, then dessert. Now if they said after dessert you could go back and order what you want, would you be happy with that if you were looking for a buffet? They've already dictated what order you eat the food for most of the meal, it's almost over and you're probably getting full by now, is that really going to be enough? Can you really call that a buffet? I think most people would agree that it wouldn't be.

And by the way, we have seen instances of "Open World design" even during the main game. Just look at the Eastern half of Hoenn (after Lilycove City). You can visit the water routes in whatever order you want.

Not quite, because you still need to beat Tate & Liza and get Dive to get the full run of those areas. And even if it was, that's only a small part of the game. It's the entire game that needs to be open world.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
They can make the games less of a straight line without going full open world by adding more optional routes and backtracking. This is what I prefer anyways.
That could work to. Still I'd really want to see a fully open world Pokémon game maybe even one where you can choose to fight for the bad guys and be a bit more morally gray as opposed to Black and White Good and Evil.

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
If Pokemon wants to go full open world, I would prefer if it was outside of the main game titles. A spinoff title like The Shadow series.