1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Would Gen 8 and Future Generations be better off as Open World?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Marbi Z, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Unova Bound

Couldn't Pokemon Go be considered a real life open world game?

Majespectre likes this.
  2. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

The problem with that is you can already explore the real world without having to buy a video game, so it defeats the purpose. That, and there's real life consequences such as getting arrested or killed to account for.

Majespectre and Dragalge like this.
  3. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

To me, open worlds are an option, not a requirement. I believe that the Pokemon games can be made less of a straight line without having to go full BOTW. Optional routes and backtracking are some examples of how to fix this issue without having to go full open world.

4. Hydrohs

Hydrohs 安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。 Staff Member Super Mod

@Bolt the Cat so what do you think of the games now that you've seen the most recent trailer?

5. Marbi Z

Marbi Z Lop-And-Bunny!!!

Well for me the world looks pretty darn big and I'm assuming that you won't be constrained to an 8 direction movement and if you are then that presentation certainly had me fooled. Regardless I'll be getting this game with the confidence that it'll rekindle my love for Pokémon! TBH it actually gave me the impression of an open world Pokémon game.

6. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

Why am I not surprised someone called me out on this?

It looks a LOT better. It's not an open world game, let's not get too crazy with "OMG Pokemon is finally open world", an open world Pokemon game would be if the entire game was like the Wild Area instead of just the overworld in between cities. This is more like Hyrule Field in OoT, an open, central hub in the middle of the map that you can roam around in. But that's enough, it still feels like enough of a step forward and provides enough of a taste of the open exploration gameplay to be suitable for console.

7. wolf jani

wolf jani Cutting down lolicons

Definitely no. Pokemon games at their cores are linear story driven adventures. And that's how it should be. Gamefreak shouldn't change the whole nature of the games just to be like other succesful games.

8. Hydrohs

Hydrohs 安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。 Staff Member Super Mod

They didn't start out as story-driven (they had the lamest excuses for stories, which I personally was fine with), and while they were certainly linear that was more a limitation of the time than a conscious choice.

9. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I personally prefer games that have a linear structure since the whole open world concept has never appealed to me, most likely because I don't usually play games that are open world to begin with. The Wild Area location in Shield and Sword seems like a step in that direction, though. I'll probably grow to enjoy it, but right now it doesn't interest me too much.

10. Marbi Z

Marbi Z Lop-And-Bunny!!!

Another option could be to have an Open World Pokémon Game as its own Separate game rather than be part of the Main Series. Though I'd also like to see that the choices you make affect the overall world overtime. A Pokémon game like the Upcoming Outer Worlds game would be a really cool concept.

Majespectre likes this.