• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would like some criticism

Kai678

Umbreon Trainer
I read about pixel-overs recently and decided to try one out on the Sugimori Charizard art.

Charizard_Pixel-Over1021893668-iaza.gif

I'm fairly new to spriting so much help would be appreciated. :)

Turtle Master

May's lover!
I'll help you out. When doing pixel art you want to make the lines curvy to match the contour of the body, therefore giving it a 3D aspect. You have a straight line of shadow going down his neck when it really should be curved as if you bend the fingers on your right hand.

You also used an all black outline, which while not bad, is something you should work to avoid.

Keep practicing though. Thats how you get better.

Kai678

Umbreon Trainer
I'll help you out. When doing pixel art you want to make the lines curvy to match the contour of the body, therefore giving it a 3D aspect. You have a straight line of shadow going down his neck when it really should be curved as if you bend the fingers on your right hand.

You also used an all black outline, which while not bad, is something you should work to avoid.

Keep practicing though. Thats how you get better.

Thanks, I'll start working on it. Very helpful tips.

Killer_Squirtle

Follow my lead!
nice job with the shading, makes it look more artistic than realistic.
might wanna work on the feet and hands though, they look kinda weird.

Kai678

Umbreon Trainer
nice job with the shading, makes it look more artistic than realistic.
might wanna work on the feet and hands though, they look kinda weird.

Thank you. I've never been particularly good at shading and thought I kinda messed up on this one.

As for the hands and feet, I never really noticed them like that. I'll get to work on it.

EDIT: By the way, which areas are best not to use a black outline?

Last edited:

Frost-Phoenix1

Teh Frostest Phoenix
In the areas where there are highlights, use your shading colour for the outline. It's kind of a personal opinion thing. The shading on the right wing (our right) appears a little...erm... patchy.

And as said, try to keep LONG straight lines to a minimum. It gives the sprite a 2D, sharp edge feel.