• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would Pokemon LGP/E have been better served if the Johto region & Gen 2 Pokemon have been included?

SWMegaFan

So I’ve been playing Pokemon LGP/E these last couple of days and while I’ve been enjoying it so far, I’ve been having this question in mind. I know that these games are kinda suppose to be games for beginner Pokemon fans but still, I can’t help but feel like the game is somewhat half-complete.

We’ve known about Johto for 18+ years now, and we know that it’s directly to the west of Kanto, so why couldn’t they be connected for LGP/E as well? So many long-time Pokemon fans know that these two regions go hand in hand, so why couldn’t Johto be included? [And let’s be realistic: I’m very sure that the majority of those that got LGP/E are returning Pokemon fans & newcomers to the fandom being introduced to Pokemon via this game are in the minority]

It would be one thing if LGP/E was based on another region that’s only been depicted as isolated from others (Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, Alola) but come on, everyone knows that Kanto and Johto go together; their regions are intertwined with one another.

Furthermore, by this logic, these games could’ve also gone to 251 Pokemon instead of just Gen One’s 151 Pokemon, as well as kept the breeding mechanic intact.

Whah do y’all think? Do you feel that the games would’ve been better suited if they had included Johto and Gen 2 Pokemon? Or would that have been too much at this time?

Ariki

So I’ve been playing Pokemon LGP/E these last couple of days and while I’ve been enjoying it so far, I’ve been having this question in mind. I know that these games are kinda suppose to be games for beginner Pokemon fans but still, I can’t help but feel like the game is somewhat half-complete.

We’ve known about Johto for 18+ years now, and we know that it’s directly to the west of Kanto, so why couldn’t they be connected for LGP/E as well? So many long-time Pokemon fans know that these two regions go hand in hand, so why couldn’t Johto be included? [And let’s be realistic: I’m very sure that the majority of those that got LGP/E are returning Pokemon fans & newcomers to the fandom being introduced to Pokemon via this game are in the minority]

It would be one thing if LGP/E was based on another region that’s only been depicted as isolated from others (Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, Alola) but come on, everyone knows that Kanto and Johto go together; their regions are intertwined with one another.

Furthermore, by this logic, these games could’ve also gone to 251 Pokemon instead of just Gen One’s 151 Pokemon, as well as kept the breeding mechanic intact.

Whah do y’all think? Do you feel that the games would’ve been better suited if they had included Johto and Gen 2 Pokemon? Or would that have been too much at this time?

As much as Johto is my favourite region, I think ultimately it would not have served Game Freak well to have included it in the LGPE games. They would need to create new story lines to make Johto work and it would have delayed the release of the games too - these were produced under a very short turn-around time and I suspect the quality would have been much lower if the developers had to focus on 259 Pokemon (assuming they included evolutions from gen 3 and gen 4 and meltan and melmetal) as opposed to just the 153 found in LGPE.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Not just gen 2. Cross gen Pokemon should've definitely been in this game. I think limiting this game to 151 Pokemon was a dumb idea considering one of their best selling games recently had almost over 400 Pokemon in it.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
No. The lack of cross generation evolutions was barely a complaint

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。

Johto is a conjoined-twin of Kanto. I can think of Kanto without Johto, but Johto without Kanto needs major improvements to stand out of its' own given they share similarities in storyline after three years of the original events.

Incorporating Johto into LGPE's Kanto is also not likely. Lance has to be promoted to Champion, Lorelei and Agatha have to retire, Koga has to be replaced, Will and Karen have to be introduced. So much change that takes away from the original, nostalgic, feeling of Kanto unless you want a bland region with no change but just to tour and collect badges. If they do that, it kills the point to make a $60 Let's Go, Johto! games.

I'm glad they kept Johto away, because I'd personally love to experience a Let's Go variant of GSC games in the future.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
It is called a sequal

Muffin Man

What would have served the game best is a brand new area based on the Orange Islands. I'm loving the game so far, but it still sucks that it has the least amount of gameplay areas out of all the Kanto games (since Safari zone was removed and replaced with a much smaller and more barebones area, and the Sevii Islands weren't included or replaced at all). A new area based on a location from the anime would have fit in perfectly with all the other classic anime nostalgia references.

Ashrynn

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I don't think including Johto would really improve the games. It'd make them longer, but longer doesn't mean better. Johto needed Kanto to complete the experience, but Kanto by itself is fine. Although I was a bit dissapointed the Sevii Islands didn't return!

Also, I understand not liking the limitations of 153 pokemon, especially when the majority of my favorites exist in Gens 2 and beyond, but having this smaller size encourages using pokemon that you probably wouldn't have considered before. I know that's a lame reason, but what we have feels awesome and trying to cram Johto in wouldn't do Johto any justice. I'd really love a Crystal remake in this fashion though!

SWMegaFan

So I just finished playing a full adventure of Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver for the first time on my 3DS, & I already completed my copy of LGP, and I’ve gotta say that although I enjoyed LGP for what it is, it did feel kinda short. I mention the former because those games seem like the “gold standard” (pun definitely intended :p) for Pokemon RPG games and I think Gamefreak could’ve developed LGP/E in the mold of those games (though just the Gen 1 & 2 rosters, plus the 2 new mythical). Maybe not exactly like them (perhaps have it changed up a bit to where your character starts in Kanto and then travels to Johto, simulating Ash in the anime) but something similar; something to make the LG games feel more fuller & loreful. Just my opinion.

Who knows: maybe the sequel will be something like G/S/C and/or HG/SS after all.

04n70n10

A Kanto-expanded pokédex would be enaugh, so yes to something like Crobat, Tyrogue, all Eevolution, Rhyperior, Steelix, etc.

Kanto expanded + (kanto) Mega evolutions + Alola forms + Meltan/Melmeltan ... really a good number of monsters.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
At the very least LGPE's Pokedex should have included the post Gen 1 pre-evolutions/evolutions already in Go at the time so the game feels less like "Yellow in HD". Kanto mons showing up fairly often in the Gen 6 and 7 regional dexes sort of removes the "fresh" feeling as unless you are a newcomer to Pokemon you would be aware of how many of them tick.