• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would Shell Smash/Weak Armor Omastar Work?

MaxPegasus42

The Violent Angel
Hi guys, I don't normally post on the competitive forums because I like to use gimmicky or more underused things... I do know how to set up EV Spreads and the like though. I would like to ask about this setup for Omastar and if it would work in practice rather than in theory only... Please be kind and any help and thoughts you could give would be appreciated...

Omastar@Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor (Dream World)
Nature: Timid (Maybe Modest)
EVs: 252 SA, 252 Speed
-Shell Smash
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power (Ground?)/Ancient Power

Omastar's Base Stats... 115 SA 55 Speed (Pre Nature Boost)

Note: I know this gets killed by any priority setup (quick attack, bullet punch etc)

The idea is pretty simple... Use Shell Smash to boost Speed + Special Attack 2 stages... Getting hit by any attack would raise your speed by another stage with the Weak Armor ability. You would survive the attack with Focus Sash no matter what it was. So in theory if they attacked you first turn... You would have +3 speed +2 special attack and then attempt to sweep. If they didn't attack you, you are free to Shell Smash Again, further boosting your Speed and Special Attack.

That would bring your base speed to roughly 137 (after 1 shell smash and 1 activation of weak armor) and your special attack to 230 or so...

Omastar also fits well in Sandstorm and Rain Conditions which is what initially lead me to look at it.

Is this something that could work? Is it something thats too gimmicky? I just wanted to know your thoughts

Yes this does work, however you can simply use Swift Swim Omastar powered by Politoed's Drizzle to get much higher overall stats. Smogon bans Swift Swim + Drizzle but you can still use it on most Pokemon Online servers.

MaxPegasus42

The Violent Angel
Ok, so Weak Armor is really not necessary for Shell Smash with Omastar then... I could set up Omastar exactly the same with the Swift Swim ability instead (Provided I am using Rain). Would weak armor be the better choice then if I wanted to use Omastar on a Sandstorm or non Rain team then I take it?

Sand Omastar is a decent idea as its VERY bulky. Nothing short of STAB Close Combat or a grass move would take it out in one shot.

Gigastrike

Sounds like sub-Empoleon taken to the extreme. It could be a great sweeper, but yeah, it's doomed if they have a priority move.

MaxPegasus42

The Violent Angel
Well that is why originally I was going to have the Focus Sash on there... which would allow me to survive the first turn at 1 HP, but also allowing 1 Weak Armor to kick in.

Remove threats, attempt to sweep... Entry hazards would have to be removed, and again anything with a Priority move would kill it.

Jaxx Raxor

MaxPegasus42, I think if you had the focus sash Omastar as a lead it could work. If you pull it off you could possibly do alot of damage to the opposing team if they don't have priority (although many people do have some sort of priority on their teams so just be warned).