• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would the Degrassi transition work?

Cyb3r4c3DS

So in Degrassi they use the concept of keep the cast for about 4 years before replacing them. HOWEVER they fade them out differently. While Pokemon just replaces the cast Degrassi includes them as minor and fades out the main cast while bringing in the new ones.

So I'm wondering if this could work. Like instead of just replacing them so fast use this to bring into certain characters. In a way they did this with Alexa. I just miss the pre BW days where the transition seemed much smoother.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I guess it could work, but I highly doubt it'll ever happen, especially with Ash and Team Rocket since they're going to be the main characters until the series ends, whenever that is.

If something like that does happen then it'll probably be a companion I'm guessing

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I thought the transition was smoother pre bw because the 1st 4 regions weren't too far to each other compared to the later 3.

And Alexa just happened to be a journalist, that allowed her to travel everywhere, brought Pokemons that wasn't recognized from Ash's Unova Pokedex, hence getting Ash's attention to discover Kalos.

So I doubt they would replicate something similar to Alexa, unless they bring a character from the next region, with the next gen Pokemons, where he/she just comes for visiting or attending an event from the current region.

DatsRight

I'd be fine with a more subtle approach, as in keeping Ash and TR, but downplaying them slightly. They've arguably already done this with Team Rocket.

Ash in the state he is now is pretty strong as a character, he works just as well in supporting roles as in main ones. If he was the Tigger to Lillie's Pooh (ie. not the main character, but a vibrant enough deuteragonist he feels like a star in his own right) he'd probably still work off the show great.

With that said SM has introduced loads of recurring characters or 'guest characters' for arcs. The Ula Ula arc for example omitted the main companions near completely for Acerola and Nanu.

Cyb3r4c3DS

I'd be fine with a more subtle approach, as in keeping Ash and TR, but downplaying them slightly. They've arguably already done this with Team Rocket.

Ash in the state he is now is pretty strong as a character, he works just as well in supporting roles as in main ones. If he was the Tigger to Lillie's Pooh (ie. not the main character, but a vibrant enough deuteragonist he feels like a star in his own right) he'd probably still work off the show great.

With that said SM has introduced loads of recurring characters or 'guest characters' for arcs. The Ula Ula arc for example omitted the main companions near completely for Acerola and Nanu.

I'd be cool if they gave us a new lead (hopefully female) for the console era starting with Gen 8 and let her due to the main game stuff but kept Ash for anime only stuff which would be a nice....."Switch"

DatsRight

I guess the biggest obstacle is that Ash always does the gyms or equivalent goal, which is just about always the main quest in the games, thus it makes sense to have Ash as the main character. SM would likely have been the best point to dumb down a little given how story centric the games are on Lillie, but they haven't really taken advantage of that.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't think it would work that well in Pokemon. Phasing out the companions completely just seems much simpler and frankly, I prefer seeing new characters show up than watching old ones overstay their welcome.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I don't think it would work that well in Pokemon. Phasing out the companions completely just seems much simpler and frankly, I prefer seeing new characters show up than watching old ones overstay their welcome.
Satoshi & Pikachu overstayed their welcome. Have them win a league, beat the Elite 4 & champion and replace them by the protagonists from the games. I'll be more supportive for a main character that started fresh than an ambiguous reset of Satoshi.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
And Alexa just happened to be a journalist, that allowed her to travel everywhere, brought Pokemons that wasn't recognized from Ash's Unova Pokedex, hence getting Ash's attention to discover Kalos.

So I doubt they would replicate something similar to Alexa, unless they bring a character from the next region, with the next gen Pokemons, where he/she just comes for visiting or attending an event from the current region.

I actually don't think being a journalist is necessary at all.

In the transition from Kanto to Johto, Ash found out about Johto because of needing to deliver the GS Ball.
In the transition from Johto to Hoenn, Ash found out about Hoenn because he battled Harrison's Blaziken.
In the transition from Hoenn to Sinnoh, Ash found out about Sinnoh because he battled Gary's Electivire.

A similar situation to this is always possible.. it doesn't have to be a journalist. In fact, in the final Kalos episode, if they had wanted to, they could have had Delia mention to Ash that Mimey had won the tickets to Alola. They just chose not to, but it would have been easy to do.

I agree with @Cyb3r4c3DS that it's odd that it feels more disjointed and less transitioned these days.