1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Would you be okay with never seeing previous companions again?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by PorcelainVulpix, Jan 17, 2020.

1. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix justice for johto

Ever since the concept of the gen 8 anime was revealed people have way more excited over the possibility of seeing previous companions again versus seeing old Pokémon. But the way things are looking we might not get old character cameos again.

So my question is, would you be okay with never seeing previous companions again? Are you okay with how their stories wrapped up?

I think the only companion (that I was a fan of) that I’m okay with not seeing again is May. I would love it if we got a cameo from her again but I’m also okay with how she left the series. She seems to keep in touch with her rivals, has a strong and balanced team and is still doing good as a coordinator.

Scorbunnie likes this.
  2. No, but I'm pretty sure they'll most likely never show again.

SerGoldenhandtheJust likes this.
  3. Kyloreywalk

Kyloreywalk Active Member

Most of them already haven't appeared in years or decades. So it wouldn't make much of a difference, would it?

4. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

In a way yes, because while I liked a lot of the past companions like Hikari, Iris, and Serena, I feel that their time is over and the newer characters should get the spotlight now. It's great when the writers bring back old characters, but my enjoyment of the anime isn't based on references to the past or character comebacks.

5. JustAStatistic

JustAStatistic Casual Trainer

Yeah I'd be okay with it.

But considering Ash is already portrayed as an upper tier trainer at the beginning of this series, I don't think it would hurt to remind viewers that Ash is actually very experienced and has traveled through several regions. Heck they could easily have Ash give a quick summary of the character to Go or Koharu to get the newer audience up to speed.

6. AznKei

AznKei Badass girls saving their boyfriends. XD

I wasn't ok how some of them were handled during their respective series like Serena. But since I made fan project about her, along with other previous companions appearances on it and proud of it, I'm ok. I don't really depend on the producers/writers to make deep character developments on any companions anymore, let alone the past ones having cameos.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Scorbunnie likes this.
  7. BabaVanga

BabaVanga Well-Known Member

As long as they keep Ash as the main character, no I wouldn't. Current world tour concept is the perfect opportunity to bring them all back.

RLC, pokemon fan 132 and Scorbunnie like this.
  8. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

But what does Satoshi's own personal growth as a trainer have to do with those other characters? He can mention his own personal experiences from the past sure, but I don't think that him name dropping his previous traveling companions would really be necessary.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  9. J.Agera

J.Agera Well-Known Member

No?

I am not even watching the Anime unless one of them are back.

Ash's character is just not interesting at all to me anymore.

10. I dont think they can make Ash lose again, would hurt his character. So idk tbh

11. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

I mean, my survival doesn’t depend on cartoon characters returning to a show, but I do think the current world tour setup they have in the anime is a perfect opportunity to do that. As of right now, that concept doesn’t seem to be utilized, so imo it is dissatisfying.

But generally I feel satisfied by most of the characters’ endings and think there’s nobody that desperately needs to come back; though a cameo would be cute.

12. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

For me it sort of depends on who they were and how long they stayed if they returned. Tracey and Cilian can remain unseen. Iris if it is for a maximum of three consecutive episodes and she has a good reason to be where Ash and Go are going, trained Axew more and stop treating it like a baby that needs protecting, and she has gotten stronger as a trainer. She can have a battle with Ash. Dawn and May should only appear if there is a special competition since both were pretty good battlers towards the middle stages of their respective regions. Serena only if it is in Hoenn or Sinnoh and a Pokémon Contest which is basically what Pokémon Spetaculars were. Max and Bonnie only if they grew in both age and became trainers so that Go can have battles with less experienced trainers without it feeling cheap. And Brock and Misty should be recurring characters that occasionally help Ash and Go on their assignments from Professor Oak. Clemont can go either way due to him being a Gym Leader.

Leonhart and KenzeyEevee like this.
  13. Ignition

Ignition Champion SZN

I personally feel like a lot of past companions didn’t have satisfying conclusions so I think they deserve one final good note to leave the show off on

Mew2 likes this.
  14. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I'd argue that Haruka and Hikari never achieved their goals despite all their development, so it'd be nice to see them win a Grand Festival at least. That would be the perfect closure for them from my viewpoint since I felt that their story arcs ended too soon. I don't actually expect the writers to care about them at this point, however.

SerGoldenhandtheJust likes this.
  15. CMButch

CMButch Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

No. I wanted this PM series to feature older characters again( some rivals and MCs) but seemingly they won't. If writers are not competent to mention some things like Ash's Bulbasaur or Butterfree, what's good in cameo-ing them. Honestly, I think they did Misty and Brock in SM only because of 20th anniversary.That's it. And they made B and M appear in Alola because you know to be even and that's it.

Ubermuk and BabaVanga like this.
  16. Kyloreywalk

Kyloreywalk Active Member

I think we will probably see Lillie/Gladion/Lusamine at least if they want to follow up on the search for Mohn this series. I also think if Ash visits Alola, it'll be rather difficult to avoid Kukui, the school, and Mallow at least, because y'know, they're all literally right there. Kiawe, Sophocles and Lana are all traveling so I can them being avoided.

Also in the eventual re-visit to Kalos, Bonnie/Clemont live in the main city, so...

17. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I've seen people suggest that we would have to see Citron and Eureka if Satoshi visits Miare City again [which people believe is implied based on the posters for this series that show the Prism Tower], but I feel that there's a chance that Citron and Eureka won't even be there since the writers don't seem to care about character comebacks as much as people want them to, and they could easily come up with an excuse not to show those two characters.

18. Mew2

Mew2 Team Rocket's Enemy

I agree, especially since Ash has finally won a game League. I'd like to see characters like May, Dawn, and Serena win the finals of their respective goals, or heck, just make it Contests for all three of them since they're currently all doing them anyway.

19. AznKei

AznKei Badass girls saving their boyfriends. XD

While we're at it, add their rivals from respective series and have them interacting with a Pokegirl from another region like Zoey with Serena, Miette with May, Harley with Dawn, etc.

Ubermuk and Leonhart like this.
  20. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Heck no.
    I'd love to see Brock, Kiawe, Cilan, May, Dawn, etc have been up to since we've last seen them. Spending an episode with an old character easily tops Ash meeting/helping some COTD/POTD

Like if Ash went to Pewter or Cerulean City and made no effort to visit Brock or Misty.... I'd be steaming mad!
    And many fans are quite upset over the neglect Tracey's been given, not even a freaking cameo at Oak's lab! Tracey deserves better

Now Max and Bonnie? Yeah, they can stay gone. Not like they're going to change any when Ash is still 10, if they actually aged everyone up a few years then I'd change my stance on these two