• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you choose May or Misty to come back to the show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devout

Nincada Trainer
May is a cry baby period i didnt like her first and never did cause she thought pokemon were stupid, but she's stupid.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
May is a cry baby period i didnt like her first and never did cause she thought pokemon were stupid, but she's stupid.

You're not exactly the brightest guy around, are you? Misty (and Dawn) have had just as many or more crying scenes than May. Sad, I laugh how moronic it sounds to say a character is a crybaby when all the girls have had a number of crying scenes in the show. Try again.

Last edited:

Star Dust

live let live.
You're not exactly the brightest guy around, are you? Misty (and Dawn) have had just as many or more crying scenes than May. Sad, I laugh how moronic it sounds to say a character is a crybaby when all the girls have had a number of crying scenes in the show. Try again.

I think he meant whiner, Cyber. She likes to complain a lot and is impatient. Sort of like Ash.

I'd just keep both of them where they are now.

Misty's happy, a gym leader and has no reason to return other than a brief hello to Ash. Unless she has some undying love for him, she won't come back. But that's beside the point. She has no more reason to come back and the Johto fiasco makes the writers less than willing to bring her back as a main character.

May's character got stale in BF because her antics got old, and they mainly focused on Ash there. She's been replaced, but she could still possibly return as a mentor to Dawn due to Dawn's losing streak, but NEVER permanently.

So I'd love for both of them to return for a few episodes because of the possible storyline for May and Dawn and contests, or a blast from the past interaction of Misty and Ash. But if I had to choose, Misty. 2 protagonist coordinators = 10 contests. 10 contests = Overkill. And I for one liked Misty's personality more than May.

RYKUU

Water Trainer
I cant stand misty personally hate the voice person and just overall character, so i would say may.

Seraphen

Ain't bitter
It has been said a lot of times, neither of them should/have to return because they have served there purpose. Now let Dawn serve her purpose.

Although I'm kinda 100% sure they'll have camoes. We really need to know what happened to their pokemon and themselves, especially May......

Pachirisu

<- He want da cookie
May. For one reason and one reason only. Because Misty bored the crap out of me.

Rex Kamex

i didnt like her first and never did cause she thought pokemon were stupid, but she's stupid.

That only lasted a few episodes. (... And I don't see what's wrong with people not liking Pokemon, even in the Pokemon world, but...)

Max204

*Boink!*
Out of the two, if either were to make a cameo, Misty would be it. May is busy in the Johto contest battles.

However, I have a feeling that May will have a special. Same with Max, seperately.

Nightshroud

I would like both to return. In certain episodes though.

cookieboy13

Can't it be both? But I really want to meet May. I never saw her in the Animé series. I've seen Misty alot but I want to see her again.

Lord of elements

BURN SUCKA BURN!
Misty should come back since she always beat up Ash or Brock when they did something stupid and her constant fear of bugs.

iraqmaster

Neither. They served their purpose, and it is time to move on.

Misty Fanboi13

Over Analyst
Even though i am a huge Misty fanboy, it is a tough choice, Misty doesnt really have anything to do in Sinnoh, so she would suffer the fate of standing on the side lines and holding Azurill

On the other hand, while I am also a May fan, she would come, win all the contest with her super squirtle, and Dawn wouldnt know what hit her.

So although I am fans of both, i think only one female lead at a time, otherwise the other doesnt have anything to do. But if one of them were to replace Dawn, then I would say Misty, cause then Misty would possibly start Contests, since she already does performances at her gym, and that would be cool

Seiryu

Resident dragon
For short, two-three-episode stints? Both. Misty was always one of my favorite characters from the original series, and it's always quite nice to see her when her personality isn't being brutally murdered by having nothing to do. It'd be cool to see May, too, if only to see how much she's progressed as a coordinator since she and Ash parted ways. I actually think that she could make a neat "unbeatable rival" a la Robert and Soledad in the post-Sinnoh arc if there is one, but it would be nice to see her before then.

But for a place in the main cast? Neither. I'd much rather not see Misty's personality go through what it went through in Johto again. The writers would have to come up with something exclusively for her, something that only she could possibly do--but when the only thing that really sets her goal apart from Ash's is that hers is type-specific, and when there's already a more experienced battle-oriented character on the cast, what could she possibly do that wouldn't be a new Gym quest, except with only Water-types? Not to mention that it was exceedingly rare for her battle strategies to consist of something other than "Water Gun/Spike Cannon over and over again!"; can you say "boring"?
It also wouldn't work to bring her back for her personality. While I'm sure that hotheaded tomboy is still in there somewhere, there's no ignoring the fact that her time as a surrogate mother to Togepi and her time as a full-time Gym Leader have helped to mellow her out considerably. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that there wouldn't be half as much arguing between her and Ash, if that's why some people want her back. However, even ignoring Misty's development, you have to remember that Ash has matured as well; he's no longer adverse to accepting friendly advice, and as we've seen with Paul, he'll ignore snide remarks when it really counts. The writers haven't given us much of any Three Stooges-esque slapstick in years, either, so that part of her original personality is out as well. (I miss you, random mallet... D: )
And besides, she appears at the least to be far more competent as a Gym Leader than her sisters; remember how things nearly fell apart when she visited Pallet Town at the start of the Battle Frontier? It seems it's pretty much necessary for her to keep a constant watch on the place to make sure her sisters don't start giving away badges for free. Put simply, it's a responsibility that she just can't shirk, especially for upwards of a year.

As for May, well, there's the obvious matter of the writers not wanting two people with the same goal on the main cast. Other than that, though...honestly, I think that the episodes leading up to and including her departure were the peak of her development as a character. Between the end of Hoenn and the Kanto Grand Festival, she received next to no character development. If things hadn't changed, if May hadn't realized that she'd been influenced by Ash's battling style since day one and that she was being held back as a result, things would have simply continued on like before. May's character would have continued to stagnate like Misty's did. At this point, for her to suddenly up and return would, as someone else said earlier, be contradictory to what she said when she left. Besides, I highly doubt that she'd start a new quest in the event that she's already registered elsewhere.

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
For short, two-three-episode stints? Both.
But for a place in the main cast? Neither.

I completely agree with that. Cameos are much welcomed when it comes to older characters that were once traveling alongside Ash. It's nice to see what they've been doing while they departed and I always treat that sort of thing as fun and interesting. The Mirage episodes with Togepi were pretty good! So, I'm sure they can do stuff like that again for both girls. (May's Eevee makes for a good excuse to bring her back for a side quest involving the evolution of it into a Glaceon/Leafeon.)

But, to have them return permanently? No. Hell no, actually. They've both matured and have their own duties to attend to. There's no need to have them come back, possibly regress, and stay on (potentially making them dull like Brock has become in time).

Mostly, I see people wanting them to return for shipping reasons... but really, people, do you honestly believe that the writers will suddenly start writing love stories between Ash and Misty/May if she return? I highly, highly, highly doubt that. >___>;

ShinyVaati

100% Rebel Time Lord
May no doubt about it. Personaly I HATE Misty. She's mean and obsessed with bikes. Besides May could beat her in a battle anyday of the week! And I'm a huge advanceshipper.

High Commander Solomon

This is MADNESS!
You mean the fact that the new girls actually have to be developed as trainers instead of being stagnant like Misty?

That's the whole reason people found Misty boring once we got into Johto, she wasn't developed at all.

In this thread, Cybercubed hopefully learns that "I prefer characters with intelligence as a trait" does not equal "I prefer underdeveloped characters" just because the character in question happens to be both. That, or that attacking strawmen is the best possible way to dismiss some of the Misty fan-drones who are far, far too blunt ("because the other girls are idiots in comparison" is debatable but is definitely flame-bait).

And besides, she appears at the least to be far more competent as a Gym Leader than her sisters; remember how things nearly fell apart when she visited Pallet Town at the start of the Battle Frontier? It seems it's pretty much necessary for her to keep a constant watch on the place to make sure her sisters don't start giving away badges for free. Put simply, it's a responsibility that she just can't shirk, especially for upwards of a year.

Responsibility. In Pokemon, it's an option. People walk around with no noticable source of income and there's no sign of suffering for it - especially seeing as not nearly all of these trainers are of win-a-league caliber. Why in the world does this argument keep coming up? The gym held up for three seasons' time or more without her. In-story explanations fail - Misty shouldn't be back because she's stale, and that's really all that works. The rest is kind of scotch tape (except for "she defies The Female Anime Stereotype" - that's not scotch tape, that's an embarrassment to feminism and fandom and pretty much everyone).

Last edited:

Sir Devious

Sir Devious
I liked May a LOT more. Misty's too much of a flat character. =/ May was my favorite character on the show until she left. </3

Status
Not open for further replies.