• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you consider this cheating?

Well It did happen to you and you were really upset when you got a hacked pokemon so dont you think it is unfair on that person because they traded a good pokemon too and now they have a hacked pokemon. so its not that fair but you have done it now so you should use it :) .

Nidogod

Yeah, this happened to me all the time ever since I first got Diamond and Pearl. It's okay and who's to judge you? Almost every person who ever used the GTS should have received a hacked Pokemon at one point or another anyway.

This. Upon using the GTS you should be fully aware that there's a very good chance that whatever you get will be hacked. If you don't want to run the risk of getting a hack, trade elsewhere.

Tabs The Omnipotent Hamster

And yet, it moves!
You can use it, but you'll incur negative karma while doing so.

Expect your house to get run over by a train within the week.

Snicker

The Grinning One
Uh... D:/

Well...using the Metagross itself wouldn't be cheating, but I wouldn't be surprised if you felt guilty over it. I mean, Meta is an AWESOME pokemon someone traded you for a...well...a HACK. o_0'

That poor sucker is now Metagrossless... ( ._.)

Uka.champion

that is not nice! :(

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
It's not cheating, just unethical.

I personally save any hacks I get because I collect them, but...

I wouldn't consider it cheating, but it does make you one of two things.

1. A jackass(most likely) who trades hacked Pokemon. If someone steals your Flat-screen and replaces it with a 4"x4" portable TV from the 80s, you don't go to someones house, Steal their Flat-screen, and replace it with a 4"x4" portable TV from the 80s, just because "You weren't expecting yours to be stolen."

2. A hero to some kid who has no idea what hes doing, and thinks a hacked pokemon is awesome.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
You shouldn't use it. If it doesn't fit your team you can release it.

I wouldn't consider it as a cheating, but you should have check it before you trade a pokemon.

dannydstk

You shouldn't use it. If it doesn't fit your team you can release it.

I wouldn't consider it as a cheating, but you should have check it before you trade a pokemon.

did u even read what he said?

but anyway the other pesons prolly pretty salty but nothing makes ur metagross illegitamite(spelling?)

Trainer_Melissa

The "Cute" Trainer
I hope you learned a valuable lesson... Never use the GTS.

That's...not a valuable lesson, the GTS can be used for other things...but it's best not to look for 100 lv pokemon.

Anyways, it's not your fault. And who knows, maybe the person won't be upset if it's hacked. Besides, it's not like you could of known the Lucario was hacked. And also, some people aren't as...hard core pokemon as some other people. A majority of the people on the GTS don't even go on forums.

I think you did the right thing. Someone did something bad to you, so it's only right you make up for something good. Even if is a little...grim.

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
Why did you care anyways? It was a pokemon just like any other pokemon. If it had something wrong with it, like 999 stats or something, I'd understand, but if it was just a regular pokemon the why does it matter?
It's data. Deal.
Hard work? Who cares about the hard work put into a video game? The end result is what matters. If I traded away a legit lv 100 Lucario for a hacked lv 100 Lucario, I wouldn't care, because besides IVs, etc, it would be no different.

...The point of a video game is putting in work. That's the fun part.
would the game be any fun if you automatically became the league champion, and every battle you entered, you immediately won, without even sending out your pokemon?
Granted, it would be novel at first, but it would wear thin pretty quick.

League

Master Abra Catcher
The reason this topic was made is because, obviously, to the OP, it is questionable. If it wasn't questionable to him/her, he/she would not've made this topic to ask the question.

Now, Metagross evolves from a swarm pokemon. As well, it is genderless, and has no egg moves. It would have been easy to breed with a Ditto, with no consideration needed for egg moves.

The hacker was dumb, because they hacked so obviously. What you did wasn't necessarily dumb (or at least it won't seem so until you're judged and thrown into the lake of fire), but it did continue a cycle that you wish had never started. Either you recieved a trade from a hacker or from someone of the same mindset as yourself. It's kinda like the line from the first Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: and so shines a good deed in a weary world. Meanwhile, all deeds of other nature don't.

Releasing or using the pokemon in-game would've not been so questionable. Breeding it would've been fine for the most part, due to random number generators generating numbers randomly (RNG, GNR). Trading it is very much questionable, as would using it out of game.

If you get a hack off the GTS, don't re-circulate it. Release it. Otherwise, you're no better than the people who hack pokemon for GTS.

The main reason that there are so many hacks on the GTS is because hackers put their pokemon up, someone gets it, they're upset, so they re-circulate it in an attempt to get a good pokemon to replace their previous one that they traded. And it goes on in a chain, until someone has the sense to release the hacked pokemon and stop the chain.

So yes it is cheating. You're the one that re-circulated it, and tricked an innocent person into trading away their legit pokemon for a useless hack.

League

Master Abra Catcher
Reece has life completely figured out. Too bad he's British...

I wouldn't call it cheating though. However, it's not like cheating is the only bad thing that can be done in the game. And it's not like the deed the OP did righted anyone's wrong: it merely right him who was supposedly wronged. However, in the act, whether he recieved a hacked pokemon directly from the hacker or not, he did do the same thing as the one he got it from. If he views himself wronged, then why shouldn't he view what he did as wronging another?

League

Master Abra Catcher
Reece has life completely figured out. Too bad he's British...

I wouldn't call it cheating though. However, it's not like cheating is the only bad thing that can be done in the game. And it's not like the deed the OP did righted anyone's wrong: it merely right him who was supposedly wronged. However, in the act, whether he recieved a hacked pokemon directly from the hacker or not, he did do the same thing as the one he got it from. If he views himself wronged, then why shouldn't he view what he did as wronging another?

UltraCan

Well, I know some people (actually nearly half of the trainers) think that using hacked pokemon doesnt change anything but personally, I hate it. And I used GTS 5 times, and got these: 2 legit Palkias (Those were a biiiig chance because you can't really find legit ones easily.) and 1 hacked shiny Palkia, 1 hacked shiny Palkia and a hacked Mewtwo. I just do not feel right when I have any hacked pokemon and I wouldnt feel right if I traded one away so I ALWAYS release them. I am going to get HG/SS and I will NEVER get any pokemon by trading in that game, and I will just send my Party Pokemon from Diamond/Pearl which are of course legit and keep that game hack-free.

I know that was hard to read, its a bit long :)