• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you ever want to see Ash travel alone or with one companion?

keepitsimple

site of lies
Honestly I'd like to see him travel alone at least once, since I'm rarely interested in the sidekicks at all and most of the time I'm watching the show for the main character.

So yeah idk. Discuss whether Ash travelling alone or with one companion would work or not I guess

no shitty "lol that would never happen tho" responses please, that's not what I'm asking.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Nope. Ash is probably the character I'm the least interested in out of the current cast tbh. He gets enough limelight as is, and his character arc is already sort of done. I don't think Ash can carry an entire region on his own with the limited character development space he has, unless you want to repeat something like Kalos again just without Serena and Clemont fawning over him in the background.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Nope. Ash is probably the character I'm the least interested in out of the current cast tbh. He gets enough limelight as is, and his character arc is already sort of done. I don't think Ash can carry an entire region on his own with the limited character development space he has, unless you want to repeat something like Kalos again just without Serena and Clemont fawning over him in the background.
Pretty much this.

I'd like to see him travel with only the female companion though.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Seeing Ash completely alone on a journey? Absolutely not. Ash is a generic character without much going on about him anymore so I doubt he can carry the whole show on his own. Also, part of his charm putting aside his battling skills is the interactions he has with the friends he is with in every saga. But I would be intrigued to see him travelling with only one person throughout a series. That could work pretty well if done right.

DatsRight

I don't mind temporary rotations like how Ash and TR got the Ula Ula arc to themselves, though I would like the companions to get their fair deal on that too. I wouldn't mind something like say, Ash and Lillie travelling home to Kanto for a short arc to end SM either. I like when the whole group's not around so emphasis can be put on just two or three of them interacting.

A whole region however, I'm not too sure about that. Ash works better interacting with a lot of characters and making less permanent additions to the series team would lessen that.

If anything right now would be an ideal opportunity to experiment with more episodes without Ash to flesh out the supporting cast.

Last edited:

Jeal

It would be interesting, but I think it would become boring in the long run, as if something was missing. Every anime has at least 3 main characters.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In my view, Satoshi isn't fascinating enough on his own to keep people watching the anime. He needs companions to bring out the best in him. That being said, he needs multiple friends since just one isn't enough.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Yes and yes, though it might be preferably to have him just travel with one companion for a change

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Look, here is the problem with having Ash on his own: he is bland as can be. He is a generic enough character to be marketable. You may not read comics, but there is a DC series called 52 which focused on lesser known character. With characters that are not as marketable, you can do anything with them, including uprooting the status quo so much that nothing short of a retcon could undo it, because they're not as popular. With a popular character like Batman, Superman, or even Pokemon's own Ash Ketchum, you have a more barriers to do long term changes to their status quo in order to keep them marketable.

A region with Ash and Ash alone might (keyword might) yield a more well characterized Ash, but he will never become a three dimensional character because he's no longer "appealing" to an audience of eager children.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Look, here is the problem with having Ash on his own: he is bland as can be. He is a generic enough character to be marketable. You may not read comics, but there is a DC series called 52 which focused on lesser known character. With characters that are not as marketable, you can do anything with them, including uprooting the status quo so much that nothing short of a retcon could undo it, because they're not as popular. With a popular character like Batman, Superman, or even Pokemon's own Ash Ketchum, you have a more barriers to do long term changes to their status quo in order to keep them marketable.

A region with Ash and Ash alone might (keyword might) yield a more well characterized Ash, but he will never become a three dimensional character because he's no longer "appealing" to an audience of eager children.
In that case he should totally travel alone :D

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
If you mean for one full series, then I would drop watching that series if Ash travels alone. He's the character I'm interested the least, for being stale. And while we did see him traveling alone for few episodes in SM, I wouldn't stand to see him alone for 130+ episodes.

Traveling with a companion could help to put focus and depth to the companion, but they would just interact to themselves for the whole series, which would get old very quickly. And since that the producers/writers like to push Ash alot recently, I'm skeptical that they're going to push the companion as much as well, the effect would be more significant for 2 characters cast

That being said, I like 3-4 characters casts more, despite having their issues. They just need to balance the cast more, and put more effort to their goals, along with their rivalries.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Just Ash would be fine if they rotate in temporary characters like Todd, Alexa, Korrina, and Acerola all were so it's just not him.

In all seriousness though, just Ash would be much more fascinating than Lillie by herself lmao

Actually yes. Ash can hold a show on his own if the writers let him. If they could just make use of all of Ash's traits, Ash CAN hold a show on his own.

If they could combine his snarkiness and arrogance from OS and AG, his tactical mind from DP, his naivety in BW, his badassness and competence from XY, and his innocence and goofiness in SM. They can do it and they SHOULD do it.

Ash deserves a season all to his own

Keep in mind while Ash does display all of these in all seasons, I chose the season where he displayed the above traits the most.

DatsRight

I think Ash has a likeable enough character now (XY and maybe even previous series likely wouldn't have worked), he can hold some episodes just through personality now. However, I don't think that would run a whole series. A fun focus with Ash is still him bouncing off of other characters, and often they provide a more dynamic arc to compensate for Ash now hitting a cap and being mostly stagnant. SM experimented more thoroughly with different teamwork and dynamics Ash can have with other companions, I don't want that to go to waste.

I have no problem with rotating companions per season or something as Ash journeys to different areas (like how Korrina and Acerola were 'guest members') but at the same time I don't want at least one companion I can stay attached to the whole series.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Power Up said:
Actually yes. Ash can hold a show on his own if the writers let him. If they could just make use of all of Ash's traits, Ash CAN hold a show on his own.

I just don't think they're capable because Satoshi has few interesting traits to begin with, so there's hardly anything to make use of when he's on his own, other than his generic shounen protagonist personality.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Well, technically Ash had a solo-run of sorts for himself in the "I Choose you" movie and even "Everyone's story". It's technically Ash travelling alone and the movie-exclusive characters are pretty much glorified CoTDs (although one could argue Sorrel and Verity had companions even if for a short while)

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Not really. Ash by himself would be pretty boring.