• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you ever want to see Ash travel alone or with one companion?

DatsRight

I have to say, after finally finishing Moon and it's heartwrenching ending, I really want Lillie to stick with Ash a little longer. Don't break my heart again.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I have to say, after finally finishing Moon and it's heartwrenching ending, I really want Lillie to stick with Ash a little longer. Don't break my heart again.
Huh? There's no Ash in the SM games, but yeah the ending was emotional.

DatsRight

Huh? There's no Ash in the SM games, but yeah the ending was emotional.

But there is a Lillie, and she departed from my player. Keeping in mind some of anime!Lillie's bond is even stronger due to Ash having an actual character that replies to her, I can only imagine it being sadder in that case (unless they truly botch the emotion like BW's parting did :p).

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Would I want to see Ash travel alone? Sure I would. I would be interested in seeing how he fares alone. (How long before he collapses from starvation because he can't cook? :p ) Do I think Ash should travel alone? Not really. As @Frozocrone said, Ash is more or less a typical shounen anime protagonist: He is hot-headed, good at battling, and can't stand to see injustice done to others. While he is a good character (even if a little bland in order to make him marketable and appealing to a broader audience), I'm not sure he can hold an entire series on his own.

Now, it might be different if his Pokémon took over the roles his human companions normally have, but that would require the writers to not only keep his Pokémon out of their Pokéballs all the time, but also translate the Pokémon's speech. Which would require subtitles. Which would make the show a little less appealing to younger children who aren't as proficient at reading.

I would definitely like to see Ash travel with only one other companion, as long as that companion is a good foil to Ash. The third wheel characters tend to get a little neglected or become stale after awhile, and I would like to see the writers focus the energy that would be spend on the third wheel on further developing Ash and his single companion instead.

ShadowForce720

Would I want to see Ash travel alone? Sure I would. I would be interested in seeing how he fares alone. (How long before he collapses from starvation because he can't cook? :p ) Do I think Ash should travel alone? Not really. As @Frozocrone said, Ash is more or less a typical shounen anime protagonist: He is hot-headed, good at battling, and can't stand to see injustice done to others. While he is a good character (even if a little bland in order to make him marketable and appealing to a broader audience), I'm not sure he can hold an entire series on his own.

Now, it might be different if his Pokémon took over the roles his human companions normally have, but that would require the writers to not only keep his Pokémon out of their Pokéballs all the time, but also translate the Pokémon's speech. Which would require subtitles. Which would make the show a little less appealing to younger children who aren't as proficient at reading.

I would definitely like to see Ash travel with only one other companion, as long as that companion is a good foil to Ash. The third wheel characters tend to get a little neglected or become stale after awhile, and I would like to see the writers focus the energy that would be spend on the third wheel on further developing Ash and his single companion instead.

Just in regards to needing subtitles to translate pokemon speech there would be a way around that as they could just have a pokemon that could talk using telepathy being on the main cast which could translate what the other pokemon are saying, heck they could even technically use a pokemon that could disguise it's appearance as a human making it so that it doesn't stand out as much, one pokemon that would be idea for this is Latias since it could bend light to make itself take on a human appearance plus it being a psychic type would easily explain why it can use telepathy, now would they ever do this I'm not sure.

I mean heck they could even go out of their way to make it a plot twist where it isn't revealed that Ash's companion is actually a pokemon until later or at the very least Ash doesn't know that his companion is actually a pokemon. Although I would think they would probably want to use a new pokemon for marketing purposes but I could be wrong, and maybe they would use an old pokemon since they probably could get away with it as along as they still have some new pokemon joining the main cast to balance it out.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I remembered watching a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon anime episode a long time ago where the Pokemons can pretty much talk like humans. They can go for that route instead.

DatsRight

Since the animation is testing itself more and more with expressions, maybe they could get away with less dialogue conveying personalities. Actually I'd love to see them toy with the 'Ash turns into a Pokemon' idea again.

Concerning one companion, I think it could work if they were a developed enough foil that didn't risk streamlining their personalities too much. They should have key contrasts from Ash while still having some mutuality to make them connect. Also the elements they are different or oppose each other in should be balanced in negatives and positives from both sides to keep them equals. If we have a more studious and strategic character like Lillie again for example, I think they should keep the 'life smart vs book smart' dynamic where both sides are fallible in their approach while still often coming handy. I don't want some sort of bare bones 'Ash dumb, other guy smart' dynamic all the time, or Ash just being the ace who didn't really need other people's intellect.

Many agree that SM Ash works better in the episodes where the whole cast is allowed to be a buffoon instead of just him for example, but at the same time appreciate team work and contributions from all of them, along with the fact Ash isn't on a pedestal this series, nor is any other protagonist. Basically the companions being equals.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Just in regards to needing subtitles to translate pokemon speech there would be a way around that as they could just have a pokemon that could talk using telepathy being on the main cast which could translate what the other pokemon are saying, heck they could even technically use a pokemon that could disguise it's appearance as a human making it so that it doesn't stand out as much, one pokemon that would be idea for this is Latias since it could bend light to make itself take on a human appearance plus it being a psychic type would easily explain why it can use telepathy, now would they ever do this I'm not sure.
Pokémon using telepathy to communicate has already been done to death in the movies, to the point where I've heard/seen fans complain that it seems like a rather cheap, cliché way of ensuring a Pokémon can communicate with the human characters and, more importantly, be easily understood by the audience, so to be honest, I don't know well a telepathic Pokémon in the main series anime would be received by audiences. However, it is an interesting idea that would certainly make the series more interesting.

I remembered watching a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon anime episode a long time ago where the Pokemons can pretty much talk like humans. They can go for that route instead.
It would be kind of weird if the Pokémon were suddenly able to speak the human language when they haven't for 20 years (aside from a few special ones, such as Team Rocket's Meowth, of course). It would be a jarring and sudden change, and I don't know if it would necessarily be a welcomed one.

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
Sure don't want to see him by himself. He's just does NOT have what it takes to carry a series by himself. Episodes of just him and Pikachu (and sometimes his other Pokemon) are practically evidence he can't handle flying solo. The reasons his companions travel with him can be stupid, but are a necessary evil.

Though what I'd like to see is it being him and the Girl with the 3rd and 4th (and maybe 5th) spots filled by a revolving roster of recurring characters who come and go and mix and match to keep things interesting and lively like in DP, especially BW, and some of XY. (especially after how things have gone in SM...)

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Personally I'd prefer a consistent 3rd wheel than a revolving amount of characters. I also find the Ash and Pikachu/his other Pokémon episodes some of the best in the series. I don't hate nor dislike his friends as they still add more flair to the overall series

World Turtle

I think in a different medium like a manga or a novel Ash and just his Pokemon as the main focus (they'd still run into other characters like gym leaders, the local evil team, etc.) could probably work. The Pokemon speech would be 'translated' for the audience (in-universe its still them saying their names or animals noises that people who work with pokemon regularly would 'get' while the average joe who works in a retail store wouldn't).

The difference in medium means there won't be a ton of filler and the like.

Oh boy, the fandom is saturated enough with betrayal fics. Don't need a league to justify making them.

I know they just tend to explode in numbers after a league though.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Since the animation is testing itself more and more with expressions, maybe they could get away with less dialogue conveying personalities. Actually I'd love to see them toy with the 'Ash turns into a Pokemon' idea again.

Me too.

But they haven't done that since that Johto episodes and they didn't even do it to as a way to promote a Mystery Dungeon so I doubt they'd do it again.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
No definitely not anymore, maybe for few episodes or a movie but not an entire series, he could have done in OS and AG but now he need companions to work with. Besides I think they should introduce old companions even just for few episodes for him to interact with and his current companions to interact with, this will give him some shine to his fast growing stale character.