• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you have prefered Hilda to Iris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Alexander

basalit-an
Yes. A million times, yes. I hate Iris with the passion of a thousand burning suns. Plus Hilda is wonderful eye candy. But then, it might be weird for the show to have a 15-year-old n00b (assuming they keep her age the same in the show as the game) and have Ash play role model again.

BlueVapor

No. I like Iris simply because she looks very different from the past three girls. Hilda, imo, does seem a bit too much like Dawn. They'd probably have about the same personality, just Hilda proabably wouldn't be as cheery. I'm glad we got Iris.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
I didnt like Iris in the beginning, because i thought she'll go down the same route as Misty, but she is entertaining so far. However, i expect her, and Dento, to leave and the next girl Ash gets will probably be more like May/Dawn.

I dont know who Hilda is, but if she is the Black/White girl, i would love her to be a rival!

pokemon fan 132

Not really,since Brock got replaced it was pretty much a given that someone will take up role of older caretaker and cook for group which was given to Cilan and having another older character in main cast would make Ash look out of space causing unbalanced group with possibly screwed up dynamic.

Since Ash is main star of this show its needed to have someone of his age in group to who he could find common language being easier to relate to it.,
Beside i always preferred sidekicks in this show because they are more prone to imperfections and in just cant picture Hilda as another coordinator.
She is fitting to be more of trainer and while she could have been given different goal being connected with pokemon battling not doing gyms like Ash does main problem i find with her is being too old to join main cast.Having two older characters traveling with 10 year old wouldnt work out very well to be honest.

Personally im satisfied with Iriis being good character having her qualities liking her tendency to be wild and invasive at times as well her background story and pokemon with Excadrill earning my attention.

Her goal of evolving Axew in Haxorous and reaching up Drayden level seem as nice try from writers too being intriguing to see how that will play out eventually.

I didnt like Iris in the beginning, because i thought she'll go down the same route as Misty, but she is entertaining so far. However, i expect her, and Dento, to leave and the next girl Ash gets will probably be more like May/Dawn.

To each their own,to me Misty is interesting character too and i dont mind if someone is supporting character instead of co-star.

It was beyond repetitive to get another girl coordinator after May and Dawn and im thankful for something different being provided in this show after several years.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Iris is fine as she is. It's the writers who decided to make Iris more interesting than we thought by getting her involved. Not like in the Whirl Islands when Brock was the only one on the side lines getting nothing done.

Grei

not the color
Iris and Cilan were purposely chosen because they play off each other

You act as if Iris and Cilan are the only two that can do this. If Hilda was here, she could have easily been a friend of Cilan's, or had a personality that contrasts with Cilan's.

CyberCubed said:
I get the feeling Hilda would be almost exactly like Dawn, just slightly less girly. I think we had enough of that.

I keep seeing posts like this. I understand where you all are coming from, but at the same time, what makes you all think you know how Hilda would have been? For all we know, she could have been a female protagonist who had traveled through Unova once (hence why she would know Cilan^), or who simply knew Unova very, very well, and didn't need to be a noobish girl. I don't see how that background is any less plausible than the one we saw with May and Dawn, so really, saying "Hilda would have just been another Dawn" is entirely arbitrary and not a real excuse.

Umm no...she looks like a Mcdonalds employee.

What McDonalds do you live by? My McDonalds definitely do not have girls that look like Hilda.

You must realize that they have to name her "Hilda" because their Japanese names are twin names, and it would make sense to give them English twin names.

Alexander and Alexis?
Andrew and Andrea?
Markus and Marian? (...)
Johnny/Johnathon and Johnna?
Laurence and Lauren?
(EDIT 2:) Hilbert and Hilary

I realize that their names have the German word for "battle," but you're acting as if Hilbert and Hilda were the only two options that GameFreak had. I honestly would have preferred any of the above (besides Markus and Marian, maybe) to Hilbert and Hilda.

EDIT: Oops. Forgot that there's a seven-character limit. Regardless, there are many more I didn't name that are male-and-female twin names, so there is virtually no reason why Hilbert and Hilda needed to be used beyond the "battle" reference.

EDIT 2: And hell. If they had to go with the hild word in the name, what the hell happened to the name Hilary? That makes me so annoyed. They should have known how most people find the name "Hilda" to be ugly here, so why couldn't they just go with Hilary?

Last edited:

Rex Kamex

Yes. A million times, yes. I hate Iris with the passion of a thousand burning suns. Plus Hilda is wonderful eye candy. But then, it might be weird for the show to have a 15-year-old n00b (assuming they keep her age the same in the show as the game) and have Ash play role model again.

Where does 15 come from? And she wouldn't have to be a new trainer.

TTNH03 said:
I guess it makes sense though on why they chose Iris because she is the same age as Ash. Assuming that he is still 10. Hopefully he's not.

He is. Confirmed by the narrator, even in the Japanese version. And they could've de-aged Hilda if they really wanted to use her but had a problem with her age.

NO WAY.

There's really nothing wrong with Iris anyway.

matt0044

Why can't Hilda and Iris both be in the Anime with Ash? Why can't there be two boys and two girls?

Yes! I miss contests! But I love iris design so I would rather have her do contests.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
Nah, from what I've seen I like Iris. I think she's a nice breath of fresh air from the whole "let's take the female protagonist and make her into an animé character!".

Guywhoiam

Dr. Researcher Man
I personally would prefer Hilda. Only because Iris always tells Ash he is a little kid. If Iris wasn't so annoying, then I'd like her more.

To sum up my rambling: Yes, I'd prefer Hilda.

Cabbs

I'm a vegetable!
Yes, for a big reason. I doubt this would ever happen, but if they brought N into the anime and had her as the person who had the other dragon- now THAT would be awesome. Better than a silly dragon trainer. I always imagined Hilda as someone with a tomboyish personality, so slap that on her, and I think she'd be a heck of a lot better than Iris.
Just an idea, of course.

If that never happened, still yes. Just cause. But call her White or something, because Hilda sounds like a fat person's name. :p

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
I was kinda feeling that it would be nice to see when there was pre-series discussion before.We have had three of recent main heroines of the games in the main cast for either a short time or a whole series long for the main cast.This was a great choice of the writers of adding Iris into the main cast because I thought it was kinda getting kinda old of the same pattern in the series to happen.The writer`s just barely made away of not editing Dawn to the edited version of her in on the Learning League website.I can say that I hope to see Hilda in the anime at a latter point whenever there comes out to be a third version.It could be kinda like the way they used Lyra in the anime to promote HGSS.

ShadowKyogre443

오션 마스터
No, I think Iris is cool. Hilda seems kinda bland...

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I personally would prefer Hilda. Only because Iris always tells Ash he is a little kid. If Iris wasn't so annoying, then I'd like her more.

To sum up my rambling: Yes, I'd prefer Hilda.

You do realize Hilda probably would have had Iris catch phrase? Since it's something new they invented, it'd be given to the new
female.

Rex Kamex

JStunn

Pokemon Master
Yes! Hilda looks fun and she's good looking. Iris is just a little girl...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.